PDA

View Full Version : Its been a really rainy spring

CowHead
06-05-2009, 10:12
It sure has been a wet one this year, watch out for slippery and falling rocks

Blissful
06-05-2009, 10:22
We've had eight inches here in just a few weeks.

The thru hikers were saying it's been a wet year for them. But they are tough and still having a good time.

Hikes in Rain
06-05-2009, 10:23
At least the water sources will be running!

Manwich
06-05-2009, 10:30
I've been all over the place in the past few months between PA and NH.

Most of the water sources that the guidebooks considered "unreliable" have been pretty reliable thus far.

Jayboflavin04
06-05-2009, 10:34
Chilly and wet here in NE Ohio also....I got THO when I took the dog out this morning.

CowHead
06-05-2009, 10:59
It must be that global warming thingy lol

Hooch
06-05-2009, 11:07
Beats the crap outta drought. Lots of folks my way have been fussing about the amount of rain we've had over the last few months. NC has been in drought so long that folks forget that we're supposed to get rain as often as we are now. They've just become accustomed to the drought conditions of the past couple years or so here in NC.

Skyline
06-05-2009, 11:17
Some thru-hikers I've met thusfar have claimed 2009 is "the wettest year on record for the AT."

Well, guess we'll see how it turns out. It's only early June. For now, methinks that record belongs to 2003. :D

Serial 07
06-05-2009, 11:30
"watch your step slippary"...it's an inside joke that no one will get, but it's funny...i was in erwin and the hotel there had a sign that posted this...we made jokes that slippary was a person with a funny voice...no wait, the funny voice was the person giving the advice...anyway, "watch your step slippary"...

Highway Man
06-07-2009, 13:13
Yes, it's really wet in May. I hiked in wet shoes consecutively in days and finally developed infections in the areas between the toes. I applied antibiotic cream and got it under control. Also the high humidity rendered my 20F down bag much less efficiently that I had to put on all my clothes around while sleeping at the nights many times. The good side is there was abundent water sources along the trail.

cowboy nichols
06-07-2009, 13:36
Beats the crap outta drought. Lots of folks my way have been fussing about the amount of rain we've had over the last few months. NC has been in drought so long that folks forget that we're supposed to get rain as often as we are now. They've just become accustomed to the drought conditions of the past couple years or so here in NC.
Same here in Fl. I love rain and can't understand people complaining about it . We were very dry lalt year.

fancyfeet
06-07-2009, 22:52
Same here in Fl. I love rain and can't understand people complaining about it . We were very dry lalt year.

In the last 3 weeks, FL went from 65% of the state in drought conditions (much of it severe) to 3%. Woo-hoo. Down here is So Flo, it has rained 22 out of the last 23 days. I love the rain, too. It's gonna be a bad skeeter year though.

emerald
06-07-2009, 23:31
It's been pleasantly cool and wet with enough sunny days to keep the grass mowed.

modiyooch
06-07-2009, 23:39
I remember hearing the rain in the gutters one morning, and had to investigate. I had not heard the sound in such a long time. I believe we are officially out of the drought this month.

martini159
06-08-2009, 00:09
This is not at all reassuring for starting a 500 mile trek from GA starting in a week... Should be fun :confused:

Jeff
06-08-2009, 06:37
Anyone in north GA have a report on Lake Lanier? When I did some hiking near Springer and passed over Lanier it looked awfully low.

MintakaCat
06-08-2009, 06:52
Anyone in north GA have a report on Lake Lanier? When I did some hiking near Springer and passed over Lanier it looked awfully low.

I think it went up about 13 feet since the first of the year. Right now it's around 4 feet below full pool.