PDA

View Full Version : Fontana to Shuckstack

Chif
06-05-2009, 10:25
My family is going to vacation at Fontana for a few days this summer. How difficult is the hike to Shuckstack tower and back to Fontana? I am planning to make the hike with my 13 year old daughter. Also, is there a good shuttle dropoff point 8-10 miles south of Fontana for a hike back to the Lodge. Thanks.

Hikes in Rain
06-05-2009, 10:29
The climb isn't all that steep, but it's unrelenting! For a shuttle, try the folks at the Hike Inn. (http://http://www.thehikeinn.netfirms.com/) While I've never personally met them, they have a great reputation here.

Montana
06-05-2009, 11:26
It is a long climb, but it should be easier with only day packs. The view from the top of the tower is well worth the climb.

I'll second the Hike Inn (http://www.thehikeinn.netfirms.com/) recommendation. I stayed there last year while thru-hiking the BMT, and I found both Jeff and Nancy to be extremely nice folk.

-Hare

Mocs123
06-05-2009, 12:18
There is a road crossing at SR1242 at Yellow Creek Gap 8.2 miles south from Fontana Dam. There is also a crossing at NC143 at Stecoach Gap 15.8 miles south of Fontana

hikingshoes
06-05-2009, 12:22
Ill be hiking from Fontana Dam to campsite#113 which is about 5.9miles one way.just doing a overnighter then heading to MT.

Plodderman
06-05-2009, 12:45
It is a climb but should be better with light gear. It does go up the whole way.

Chif
06-05-2009, 14:06
Thanks. I will be carrying my full pack as part of my shakedown for a section hike in Ga. in September but my daughter will only have a light daypack. Yellow Creek gap sounds like the best choice. I was planning to get a shuttle from Hazel Creek outfitters at Fontana Village since that is where we are staying. Have any of you dealt with them before?

Blissful
06-05-2009, 19:49
It's good climb but in good weather, go for it. View is great.

Lone Wolf
06-05-2009, 19:51
My family is going to vacation at Fontana for a few days this summer. How difficult is the hike to Shuckstack tower and back to Fontana? I am planning to make the hike with my 13 year old daughter. Also, is there a good shuttle dropoff point 8-10 miles south of Fontana for a hike back to the Lodge. Thanks.

it's an easy hike

Marta
06-06-2009, 06:04
A fun shuttle would be to take a boat from the Fontana Marina to campsite #86 (I think), then hike back along the Lakeshore Trail.

Ox97GaMe
06-08-2009, 10:02
I second the boat trip suggestion. There are several campsites along the Lakeshore Trail that are accessible by boat.

There is one campsite that is on an island and ONLY accessible by boat. If you could get round trip transportation arranged, it would a great place to camp out for one night.

SawnieRobertson
06-08-2009, 10:10
Thanks. I will be carrying my full pack as part of my shakedown for a section hike in Ga. in September but my daughter will only have a light daypack. Yellow Creek gap sounds like the best choice. I was planning to get a shuttle from Hazel Creek outfitters at Fontana Village since that is where we are staying. Have any of you dealt with them before?
Make sure that her day pack has plenty of extra space for you to "share" some of your load when you watch her dance to your trudge up that mountain. It's hard to keep up with a 12 year old. She may need weighing down. But what fun, and be sure to have a camera along with lots of shots available.--Kinnickinic

Dogwood
06-08-2009, 10:21
I'll also recommend the boat from Fontana Marina over to one of the campsites along the Lakeshore Trl to Shuckstack and back across Fontana dam for a possibly 2 day trip with the family. Eagle Creek area has some sweet and scenic campsites with trout fishing along the Eagle Ck. If you go this way you will be heading down the switchbacks from Shuckstack firetower. I think the firetower is still there and is open to provide for some great views from on top.

quietly
06-09-2009, 11:30
A fun shuttle would be to take a boat from the Fontana Marina to campsite #86 (I think), then hike back along the Lakeshore Trail.

That is a wonderful hike! Just ask the folks at the marina to drop you at Hazel Creek, then follow Lakeshore out to the dam. Great sights, and a lot of history there.

quietly
06-09-2009, 11:38
I think the firetower is still there and is open to provide for some great views from on top.

It was a year or so ago. Now if only I had the courage to climb it - swaying heights freak me out :(. I made it part way up, the views were incredible, I highly recommend it!

TIDE-HSV
06-09-2009, 16:22
Saw one of the neatest things I've ever seen from that tower. It had rained like hell, and the clouds and ground fog were below us and the sun was out above. We looked down and saw a circular rainbow, with a shadow of the tower in the middle. It's called a "glory."

Chif
06-12-2009, 10:02
I have read about various problems with the tower. Is it still open and safe to climb? Has anyone climbed it recently?

Engine
06-12-2009, 10:14
I have read about various problems with the tower. Is it still open and safe to climb? Has anyone climbed it recently?

Last month there were two thru hikers in it when I was at the bottom and I saw them later in the day so they must have survived the experience. :)