PDA

View Full Version : Whats in your backpacking first aid kit?????????

NorCalGuy
06-05-2009, 16:51
Sry didnt know exactly where to post this

I am currently puting together a backpacking first aid kit.

My question to all of you is...Whats in your backpacking first aid kit?????????

Thanks!

vonfrick
06-05-2009, 17:11
rolled gauze
wide cloth first aid tape
2 iodine prep pads
one suture (basically a sterile needle and thread)
several alcohol prep pads
band-aids
manicure scissors (small, the only "sharp" thing i carry, ie no knife and much more versatile)
ibuprofin
painkillers left over from root canal
immodium

i think that's it

bigcranky
06-05-2009, 17:24
Blister pads, small and large, 4 ea.
1-inch foam band-aids, 6-8 ea.
Very large band-aids, 2 ea.
immodium, 6 tabs
benadryl, 6 tabs
naprosin, enough for hike
alcohol prep pads, 4 ea.
tiny tick tweezer
albuterol inhaler
wound closure kit, 1 ea.
triple antibiotic ointment, 2-3 packets
duct tape wrapped around water bottle (multi-use)
large bandana and safety pin for sling (multi-use)

Yahtzee
06-05-2009, 17:37
Triple antibiotic ointment
Ibuprofen

That is all.

restless
06-05-2009, 17:45
Duct Tape. that's it. Nothing else. Just duct tape.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-05-2009, 17:59
my total weight is 11 ounces
Spare led flashlight with 3 aaa batteries
spare lighter
4 inch 5 foot 3inch long ace bandage
.3 ounce bottle of newskin
36"x36"x51" triangle bandage
Snake bite kit (sterile blade, iodine, string)
12 Qtips
small roll of gauze
small roll of bandage tape
4 inch sterile dressing
3 normal bandaids
3 small bandaids
3 alcohol wipes
3 iodine wipes
3 burn cream
3 antibiotic cream
3 wet wipes
1 suture needle
dental floss

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-05-2009, 18:00
my total weight is 11 ounces
Spare led flashlight with 3 aaa batteries
spare lighter
4 inch 5 foot 3inch long ace bandage
.3 ounce bottle of newskin
36"x36"x51" triangle bandage
12 Qtips
small roll of gauze
small roll of bandage tape
4 inch sterile dressing
3 normal bandaids
3 small bandaids
3 alcohol wipes
3 iodine wipes
3 burn cream
3 antibiotic cream
3 wet wipes
1 suture needle
dental floss40 Acetaminophen

man2th
06-05-2009, 18:37
this is where being a medic and trying go lite sux.....i know i carry to much, and i even teach wilderness first aid, yet i still pack it, even replaced my pack supports with SAM splints.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-05-2009, 18:42
this is where being a medic and trying go lite sux.....i know i carry to much, and i even teach wilderness first aid, yet i still pack it, even replaced my pack supports with SAM splints.
At a quarter pound I have thought about adding one to my kit, but knock on wood I have never broken anything except my fingers, and I don't splint them I just put them back and let them heal lol.

CowHead
06-05-2009, 23:01
Duct Tape. that's it. Nothing else. Just duct tape.
Works for everything

lvleph
06-05-2009, 23:23
I haven't even looked in my first-aid kit since I made it. I don't remember what is in it. I do know it was less than 3 oz. Duct tape, hand sanitizer, and some sort of gauze would most likely be enough anyway.

Pokey2006
06-05-2009, 23:26
A couple of ibuprofen. Has anyone ever used any of the other stuff? And if you used it, would it have been possible to get by without it?

lvleph
06-05-2009, 23:36
If I had a real injury, I would use my clothes for bandages (probably extra socks) and I would use sticks for a splint. Go directly to a road and get help.

Herpn
06-06-2009, 01:39

Probably not a good idea to use that snakebite kit. Just a heads up.

Jim Adams
06-06-2009, 06:53
duct tape and Ibuprofin

geek

Jim Adams
06-06-2009, 06:56

Thats funny...I replaced my pack supports with Slim jims!:D

geek

Blue Jay
06-06-2009, 08:09
Seriously, the only thing required is something to stop large blood flow until you get to a road.

Rockhound
06-06-2009, 08:44
151 rum, duct tape, and an emergency smoke.

Rockhound
06-06-2009, 08:49
A couple of ibuprofen. Has anyone ever used any of the other stuff? And if you used it, would it have been possible to get by without it?
Other stuff? Well.....er.....yeah if it's the other stuff I'm thinking of. Works quicker and better. I highly recommend it for sore muscles and aching joints. It may have to be "administered" a ways away from the shelters as society has been conditioned not to think too highly of this miracle drug.

Nasty Dog Virus
06-06-2009, 09:01
Neosporin, band-aids, ibuprofen, a couple alcohol pads, & duct tape.

bigcranky
06-06-2009, 09:03
Yeah, I've used the other stuff in my first aid kit. The little blister pads are useful when I get a blister between my toes. The big band-aids are useful when I scrape my knee. (Which I seem to do all the time.) I use the antibiotic ointment, the tick tweezer, and the alcohol pads.

You can probably do all of that with duct tape, I suppose. But you'll need something for the little injuries just so you can keep hiking.

Wags
06-06-2009, 10:49
-advil liquigels (approx 20. x2 strength of ibuprofen)
-4 antihistemines (taken when stung or lots of mosquito bites)
-2 immodium
-couple bandaids
-J&J first aid cream
-1/3 visene bottle full of bleach (water purification backup + i use this if i get poison)
-couple blister bandaids (these stay on for like 3 or 4 days)
-3 ft athletic tape (i find duct tape overrated unless repairing gear. this works better for me)
-1 ft duct tape
-1 pack unopened surgical gloves (in case i burn my hands badly on stove, or if someone else is bleeding and needs help)
-a nickle (to open my headlamp). where else would i keep this?
-gauze
-tweezers

Sidewinder
06-06-2009, 10:55
rolled gauze
wide cloth first aid tape
2 iodine prep pads
one suture (basically a sterile needle and thread)
several alcohol prep pads
band-aids
manicure scissors (small, the only "sharp" thing i carry, ie no knife and much more versatile)
ibuprofin
painkillers left over from root canal
immodium

i think that's it

OUCH! Was this procedure done on the trail?

warraghiyagey
06-06-2009, 10:57
Scotch. . .

joehiker22
06-06-2009, 15:41
I do not carry a first aid kit. I have never had a problem.

YoungMoose
06-06-2009, 17:43
tyenol and a very sharp knife. Sometimes ill bring duct tape if i think i am going to get a blister

Blissful
06-06-2009, 20:59
small ace wrap
meds like advil, benadryl
sm antibiotic cream
sm hydrocortisone cream
some bandaids
gauze pad
duct tape
safety pin

We also had an Epipen for my son's yellow jacket allergy

Blissful
06-06-2009, 21:02

:eek::eek:

Blissful
06-06-2009, 21:03
-advil liquigels (approx 20. x2 strength of ibuprofen)
-a nickle (to open my headlamp). where else would i keep this?

Not sure what you use but on mine the plastic end is curved and thinned in a way to use as a tool to open the headlamp.

modiyooch
06-06-2009, 21:14
migraine medicine
hershey bar
1 anti histimine
moleskin
soap
bandana
phone

modiyooch
06-06-2009, 21:16
migraine medicine
hershey bar
1 anti histimine
moleskin
soap
bandana
phone oh, and a snake bite kit

vonfrick
06-07-2009, 00:21

tyenol and a very sharp knife. Sometimes ill bring duct tape if i think i am going to get a blister

i guess you guys are psychic or something. bet you don't have car insurance because you just know you're not going to be in an accident.

YoungMoose
06-07-2009, 13:37
i guess you guys are psychic or something. bet you don't have car insurance because you just know you're not going to be in an accident.hehe i was only joking. I cant drive yet so i dont have car insurance. But i usually bring tyenol gauze and tape. Thats pretty much it

Desert Reprobate
06-07-2009, 13:52
Stop Pain for the muscles and Second Skin for the blisters

Wise Old Owl
06-07-2009, 14:33
Honestly for the longest time I hiked with an overloaded First Aid Kit that I had added chewable Pepto & antihistamines, and other OTC things to have on the trail. Never used it. Now it collects dust in the drawer. I am down to an oversized bandana & inhaler and thats about it... I spray Deepwoods Off before I go and wear a hat and some sunglasses.

modiyooch
06-07-2009, 17:28
Honestly for the longest time I hiked with an overloaded First Aid Kit that I had added chewable Pepto & antihistamines, and other OTC things to have on the trail. Never used it. Now it collects dust in the drawer. I am down to an oversized bandana & inhaler and thats about it... I spray Deepwoods Off before I go and wear a hat and some sunglasses.I had never carried the antihistamine until I got bit or stung nine miles deep. My hand swelled like the michelan (sp) man and that was with borrowing liquid benadryl from a group of campers that I encountered. Hint: get the non drowsy. I was basically drowsy on my feet. I also now take off my wedding rings while hiking.

Pokey2006
06-07-2009, 17:41
i guess you guys are psychic or something. bet you don't have car insurance because you just know you're not going to be in an accident.

I don't carry anything, either, and I've also never had a problem. I also have car insurance, BTW...

On the AT, you're never terribly far from help. Now, when I went to Nepal, that was different. We were, in fact, far from medical assistance for much of the time. So I packed the Immodium, the altitude pills, the blister pads, the antibiotics, etc. Guess what? I never needed any of them. But what I did need desperately -- cold medicine -- I didn't have. And guess what again? I survived. I know, hard to believe.

If you carried everything you'd need for EVERY "what if" scenario, your pack would be so heavy, you wouldn't be able to hike very far.

Life is about risks. Of all the risks to take in life, leaving the bandaids at home is hardly anything to fret about.

It is amusing how seriously everyone takes this, though.

mweinstone
06-07-2009, 17:42
i carry no first aid. i can walk to town for aid. anything i carry so close to civilization wont but comfort. comfort is for little people. yeah i carry a packet of two bayer. in case my heart goes wolf on my arse.and i got sugar testing crap. but only my tissue i carry could make a bandage. and my bacon a pain killer. its how we roll. me an my boys.

Safari
06-08-2009, 01:13
I just carry a strong pair of vise-grips and a band aid, you would be amazed how many times a boulder has fallen & pinned me down for 3 days, forcing me to cut my arm off

CowHead
06-08-2009, 06:58
As a nurse I problem carry to heavy of a first aid kit, 8 oz, but you never know when you might need that butterfly bandaid, tic remover, sling, moleskin and health insurance card

Bear Cables
06-16-2009, 22:14
As a nurse I problem carry to heavy of a first aid kit, 8 oz, but you never know when you might need that butterfly bandaid, tic remover, sling, moleskin and health insurance card

Health Insurance card....very important but I have forgotten about carrying this. In 97 my son slipped and broke his arm. We had to hike to base camp and get a ride to the hospital. Glad I did have the card at that time. Need to remember that. Thanks for the reminder.

buckwheat
06-17-2009, 06:22
After reading about Aron Ralston's ordeal (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5956900/), I decided to put a lightweight rope saw in my emergency kit. You never know when you'll need to hack off one of your own arms in order to survive.

As they say in the Boy Scouts: BE PREPARED!

Also in my kit (which I recently downsized):

* Plenty of Vitamin I
* Endocet left over from tooth surgery
* Couple of immodium, couple of antihistimines - just enough to get to the next town
* Blister pads
* Alcohol swabs
* Couple of bandaids
* Anbesol tube (for tooth aches or also bug bites)
* Tweezer (for extracting ticks)
* Tiny sewing kit for suturing up a bloody stump
* Matches
* 10 water purifying tablets

Total weight - about 12-14 oz.

Cheers,
Buckwheat

kanga
06-17-2009, 06:51
benadryl, cream and tabs
antibiotic ointment
couple of bandaids
moleskin
ibuprofen
emergency blanket

jrnj5k
06-17-2009, 09:12
duct tape, tylenol, benedryl, nonstick gauze, antibiotic ointment, 3 matches and a piece of match striking material, tweezer.

OldStormcrow
06-17-2009, 09:16
Triple antibiotic ointment
Ibuprofen

That is all.
Add a little duct tape and that's about it.....

Doctari
06-17-2009, 10:37
Yep as a medic it is hard to cut back on the first aid stuff. My first kit weighed in at just under 2 lbs.

It's now 5 Oz:
Duct tape
3 band aids
A 4 x 4 (guaze) bandage.
Pain killers (whatever is on sale)
Antibiotic ointment
Immodium AD

I also keep A bottle of whisky handy in case I see a snake, , , , which I also keep handy. :p

AlabamaDan
06-30-2009, 15:08
different types of wipes, assorted band-aids, ibuprofen, neosporin, small ace bandage. It's a little ziplock full of stuff. I use it alot, but then if I get a cut in the woods I treat it so it doesn't get infected. I've taught all the boys in my cub scout den to carry a smaller version.

johnnybgood
06-30-2009, 16:54
After reading about Aron Ralston's ordeal (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5956900/), I decided to put a lightweight rope saw in my emergency kit. You never know when you'll need to hack off one of your own arms in order to survive.

As they say in the Boy Scouts: BE PREPARED!

Also in my kit (which I recently downsized):

* Plenty of Vitamin I
* Endocet left over from tooth surgery
* Couple of immodium, couple of antihistimines - just enough to get to the next town
* Blister pads
* Alcohol swabs
* Couple of bandaids
* Anbesol tube (for tooth aches or also bug bites)
* Tweezer (for extracting ticks)
* Tiny sewing kit for suturing up a bloody stump
* Matches
* 10 water purifying tablets

Total weight - about 12-14 oz.

Cheers,
Buckwheat
Ditto everything minus the Endocet.

ShelterLeopard
07-16-2009, 15:28
Sry didnt know exactly where to post this

I am currently puting together a backpacking first aid kit.

My question to all of you is...Whats in your backpacking first aid kit?????????

Thanks!

-Plenty of moleskines
-Colourful bandaids for cuts
-Huge bandaid assortment (sizes, types, etc...)
-Rubbing alcohol/ disinfectant in those little packets
-Motrin
-Aspirin
-Tylenol
-Hand/Toe warmers (in winter)
-Nail clippers
-Tweezers (the only reliable method for extracting ticks)
-A couple sleeping pills (which I am prescribed)- they really help if you are stuck with snoring people or just can't sleep- it's awful to hike after a sleepless night.
-Emergency money
-Ear plugs (again for the snorers)
-Potable aqua (in case my filter kicks out)
-Gauze
-Waterproof medical tape
-Butterfly sutures (like stitches, but they don't hurt)
I'm sure there's more, but I don't remember. (It sounds like a lot, but it's all pretty small, and I've used it ALL at one time or another)

ShelterLeopard
07-16-2009, 15:29
And neosporin, technu (the only stuff to fight poison ivy for real, to which I am very allergic), contact lenses (I wear glasses).

ShelterLeopard
07-16-2009, 15:37
Honestly for the longest time I hiked with an overloaded First Aid Kit that I had added chewable Pepto & antihistamines, and other OTC things to have on the trail. Never used it. Now it collects dust in the drawer. I am down to an oversized bandana & inhaler and thats about it... I spray Deepwoods Off before I go and wear a hat and some sunglasses.

I actually am used to using mine, because for the past couple years I've been a "chaperone" for high schoolers who don't really know what they're doing, and I have always needed it. When I solo, I usually use it, but my guess is, aside from the painkillers, I really don't need it. Bandaids fall off, gauze is unnecessary.

Ox97GaMe
07-16-2009, 22:54
There are normal use items that I can use for makeshift first aid equipment if I need to. My 'first aid' kit includes the following:

* Bandana for large cuts, twisted ankle, wrist, possible sling
* Shirt can be cut into strips for bandages or sling if needed
* Pocket Knife to remove splinters and bee stingers
* 2-3 ft of duct tape for a number of medical or equipment repair uses
* 1 needle and 2 ft fishing line for sewing equipment, suture if needed, blister
2 Tylenol tablets
3 reg size bandaids
2 alcohol rubs
1 small tube anticeptic cream
2 Q-Tips

sticks&stones
07-16-2009, 23:15
krazy glue, hand sanitizer, and 4 band aids.

LaurieAnn
07-16-2009, 23:58
while I carry a lot of what has already been mentioned there are a few things I didn't see mentioned that are in my first aid kit

glucose (Dex4)
Compeed
tick remover
Spenco second skin

Wags
07-26-2009, 10:42
saying 'i don't pack anything' or 'i just take duct tape' is pretty irresponsible advise to give to someone asking about what to pack. odds are people saying "oh i don't take anything other than a bandana" aren't doing more than a day hike. please take some people's advise w/ a grain of salt

Erin
07-27-2009, 00:13
Tick tweezer
Aleve
one rolled ace bandage
2 iodine pads
moleskin and tiny scissors
wet wipes
one needle
extra eye glass
my meds and allergy meds
gas X all in a little yellow bag and bandana on the backpack

mkmangold
07-27-2009, 00:21
I think we might be able to get a better handle on this if we focus the kit on the most common pathologies encountered and their frequencies. Off the top of my head: blisters, lacerations and abrasions, sunburn, infected wounds, diarrhea, and overuse injuries come to mind. Any further thoughts?

Trailweaver
07-27-2009, 00:51
Only a few of you mentioned Benedryl. There have been several reports of yellow jacket attacks on the trail. Benedryl could save your life if you were stung several times (or even once, for some people), and I believe it should be in every first aid kit.

I also am a firm believer in Immodium. . . nothing is worse than having diarrhea on the trail. It can dehydrate you in a matter of hours, and then you're realllly sick.

Just two little medications that don't weigh much, and could save you a heap of trouble. ; - )

ShelterLeopard
07-27-2009, 23:44
saying 'i don't pack anything' or 'i just take duct tape' is pretty irresponsible advise to give to someone asking about what to pack. odds are people saying "oh i don't take anything other than a bandana" aren't doing more than a day hike. please take some people's advise w/ a grain of salt

Besides, if you HAVE all the stuff, you will almost definitely USE most of it. Sure you can do without it, but it is sometimes nice to have it all. (And it makes you very popular during blister treating sessions. Which, I suppose now I think about it could be an argument against bringing it...)

CowHead
07-28-2009, 06:41
Health Insurance card....very important but I have forgotten about carrying this. In 97 my son slipped and broke his arm. We had to hike to base camp and get a ride to the hospital. Glad I did have the card at that time. Need to remember that. Thanks for the reminder.

yes you always need your insurance card if it's not laminated make sure you do that before you go

Monkeyboy
08-04-2009, 23:40
Motrin
Benadryl (works for bee stings and poison ivy)
Hand Sanitizer
bandaids
small packets of antibiotic salve
duct tape
pepto bismal chewables
one roll of Rolaids.
Two small gauze strips that they put on you when giving blood (good for sprained fingers, toes, etc.)
One stingeze crushable vial
other prescribed meds
One kotex (good for gore wounds to stop blood flow until next town)

My son has the same except he uses Tylenol instead of Motrin and Imodium instead of pepto (he's allergic to asprin).

Monkeyboy
08-04-2009, 23:42
Also, when hiking with our troop or Venture Crew, I make everyone carry their medical form folded up in a small ziploc in case they are found unconcious.

You could make up a small form of medical history, allergies, insurance numbers, emergency contacts etc.....

Terraducky
08-05-2009, 00:33
Assorted size band-aids (especially the larger sized for skinned knees!)
5)Spiroflex Blister Dressings
2) sterile gauze pads
1 sharp sewing needle
Tube of arnica cream
1)Band-Aid cleansing compress-cloth
3)Antiseptic towelettes
1)pkt anti-itch cream
1)pkt neomycin ointment
Small travel tube Tylenol 500mg
4"w roll wrapping tape (about 1/4" thick- not the whole roll)
tweezers
Baggie with 10 chewable antacids, 2 mint teabags, 2 ginger tea bags
and sample pkt celtic sea salt
Tiny container burn ointment
Tube "After Bite" for stings and bitesSmall folding sissors
Pill bottle for celiac husband (emergency charcol caps and Glutenease)
Pill bottle w/2-3 each:Benedryl, Immodium, hydroxyzine
1)vicodin (just in case!)

It may sound like a lot, but it all fits into a qt.size zip bag and we have used practically everything in there at some point or another!

Lyle
08-05-2009, 12:20
Mine, in approximate order from most oft' used to hardly ever used:

ibuprofen
gold bond medicated
duct tape
Imodium or Pepto
Decongestant/antihistamine
needle
soap (for cleansing wounds/hands)
couple of bandaids/gauze
broad spectrum antibiotic (for long or remote trips)
elastic bandage
Moleskin (when I wore boots, this would have been at the top of the list. Don't think I've used it since going to trail runners)

That's about it. Sometimes something may be added along the way, like Zanfel for poison ivy, but this is the base kit.

CowHead
08-05-2009, 13:50
Jack Daniels antiseptic
Jim Bean aches and pains
Johnny Walker red or black for everything else
also duct tape can be used for everything bandaids, person who snores to loud relief and condoms - little ruff to get off but the Jim Beam takes care of the pain

Fiddleback
08-07-2009, 10:31
First, I haven't reviewed most of the posts above so if this is a repeat let's just say it might be worth it. Second, I haven't checked out this product (having just seen it in the Duluth Trading catalog last night) so I can't judge the veracity of the claims or the efficacy of the product. Just call me lazy on this rainy early morning in western Montana.:D

But if the catalog item is legit, and especially if I can find it for cheaper, this will be in my first aid kit and probably the horse barn and my vehicles.

"Pack QuikClot Silver"

"Used by surgeons, sports physicians, the military and fire and rescue first responders,... ...is impregnated with Zeolite, a strong clotting agent that stops even severe arterial bleeding within 3 minutes. Ionic silver is added to help prevent infection. Cover wound, apply pressure and leave it on until help arrives"

25g (3½ 3½") 19.50
50g (5" X 5") 29.50

Given the seemingly high price, I certainly will do some internet research... Anyone know more about this product? Does it work as well as claimed? What's its shelf life? Can it be found cheaper? What's the downside?

FB

WyomingMedic
08-07-2009, 13:18
It works well Fiddleback.

In clinical trials it stopped the bleeding from surgically created wounds in less than 60 seconds where the identical wounds (without treatment and just direct pressure alone) bled for over 3 minutes.

Our medical director does not allow (as most do not) the use of it for ambulance and rescue folks, BUT there is no reason not to carry it for yourself. I do whenever I go out hiking or 4 wheeling.

I also hear it burns like all get out when you apply it. Not sure about that though. There are other options out there that are primarily made of a potato based starch. Not supposed to burn but a little slower acting I hear. YMMV as they say.

While you are worried about MAJOR TRAUMA, I would carry something called an ASCHERMAN CHEST SEAL http://firstrespondersupplies.com/acs.htm

Very small, light, easy and can prevent one of the leading causes of traumatic death.

WM

Mitchell Stein
08-07-2009, 15:37
Triple antibotic onitment
Super glue (Very good alternative to stiches)
duct tape
thats all

CowHead
08-10-2009, 14:10
it's been around for awhile we used to used it in the ER to stop severe nose bleeds, a little dab was on a q-tip and sizzle the bleed was burn to a scap, on a large wound it would be very very painful, even Jim Beam would not keep that pain down

wrongway_08
08-10-2009, 14:23
small scissors
5 bandaids
small (.5 oz) bottle of cut wash

Takes care of big gashes, small cuts, rock burn.

You can find items in the woods to take car of pretty much anything else, broken bones......

hbower
08-10-2009, 20:25
Fingernail clippers and duck tape !

Jim Adams
08-10-2009, 22:54
Before you pack everything but the kitchen sink, why not take a first aid course?
Knowing what to do, how to react and what to carry can increase your confidence and is something that is valuable to you for the remainder of your life.

geek

Don H
08-11-2009, 08:35
Lots of people carry duct tape for blisters but I haven't had much luck with it. Duct tape just won't stick to my sweaty feet for long. Instead I use Leukotape which is a sports tape with a very strong adhesive. It's the only thing I have found that will stay where you put it. Instead of taking the entire roll I wrap a couple of feet of it around a straw. You can buy it here: http://www.ithacasports.com/leukotapeproll.html