PDA

View Full Version : water conditions in Smokies

Bear Cables
06-05-2009, 16:56
We are starting a hike sobo in the Smokies this Monday. We will start at Newfound Gap to Fontana Dam. Does anyone know the water conditions in that stretch. Also can we count on the shelters having cables? And finally...Birch Springs Campground our last night....Cables? Tent pad or platforms or nothing?

Mocs123
06-05-2009, 17:40
No water problems reported in the area. I think you will be fine on water. All of the Shelters and Campsites in the park have cables. Most of the sites in the park (off the AT) are just open, but I think 113 has some sort of tent pads, but I am not sure. There are a lot of bears in that area of the park.

BTW: I don't think it will affect you if you are staying at 113, but Russell Field Shelter is closed due to bear activity.

Bear Cables
06-05-2009, 23:43
No water problems reported in the area. I think you will be fine on water. All of the Shelters and Campsites in the park have cables. Most of the sites in the park (off the AT) are just open, but I think 113 has some sort of tent pads, but I am not sure. There are a lot of bears in that area of the park.

BTW: I don't think it will affect you if you are staying at 113, but Russell Field Shelter is closed due to bear activity.

I saw that on the GSMNP website. I knew they had bear activity at that shelter but must have just recently closed it . :( We were not scheduled to stay there. When you say "lots of bears in that area of the park" are you referring to the whoe section or the area of Russell Field to Birch Springs?

modiyooch
06-06-2009, 08:23
I'm not sure about the smokies, but we and surrounding counties have been inundated with rainfall for the past two weeks. We have had flash flood warnings and seen pics of cars stranded in water. Since I'm within 2 hours from the smokies, I think it's safe to assume the water situation is good.
I believe we have finally made it out of the drought.

Mocs123
06-06-2009, 09:55
That whole area. It seems like from Russell Field to Gregory Bald (CS#13) to CS113 is always having bear problems.

Bear Cables
06-06-2009, 10:49
That whole area. It seems like from Russell Field to Gregory Bald (CS#13) to CS113 is always having bear problems.

Thanks for the "heads up". We'll be sure to take extra care. :eek:

Engine
06-06-2009, 14:47
Caboose and I saw 5 bears over 4 days while hiking the sw portion of the park last month. All of the designated camping areas as frequented by bears but good food storage techniques are available at all sites. Just have fun! :)

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-06-2009, 16:29
Maybe I will finally get to see a wild bear lol

double j
06-09-2009, 18:28
i was there and didnt see any bears... just a wild pig