PDA

View Full Version : dehydrating ground beef need some help

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-05-2009, 17:27
I don't have a dehydrator, so I use my oven to dehydrate meat. With Jerky this works out great, I have had lots of success with excellent jerky, which lasts at least a month (might last longer but I eat it too fast). This year i thought I would have ground beef as well (I would be lest tempted to eat it out of the bag, saving it for my dinners lol). It came out very tasty, but it took 5 times longer for me to get it dry, and it still seems very greasy. I worry if it is too greasy it will go rancid before I eat it all (about 4 weeks). Am I worrying about nothing, or am I missing something when it comes to dehydrating ground beef?

Walking Dead
06-05-2009, 17:30
The trick is to use the leanest ground beed and then after browing it all, rinse it a couple of times with hot water to wash off any remaing fat.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-05-2009, 17:33
The trick is to use the leanest ground beed and then after browing it all, rinse it a couple of times with hot water to wash off any remaing fat.
Is there a way to save all the ground beef I have already started preparing? It has been dehydrated at about 200 degrees for around 9 hours on and off for the last 24 hours

restless
06-05-2009, 17:37
I wiuld be a little cautious if it is still greasy. A suggestion is to try the prepared beef patties that are not pure beef-use the stuff that contains some soy protein. Usuallt a little cheaper but really not a whole lot of difference in taste after rehydrating. Using an oven takes considerably longer-it's taken me almost 24 hours on low temps to dehydrate bef and other meat products

Grinder
06-05-2009, 18:01
blanch it and redry it.

Boiling water poured over the meat in a strainer will take the grease away. I think I would preheat it so the fat is soft and shiny.

I buy ground chuck (83 %/ 17% on the label) I've done "regular" too. It's about 75% lean IIRC

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-05-2009, 18:03
blanch it and redry it.

Boiling water poured over the meat in a strainer will take the grease away. I think I would preheat it so the fat is soft and shiny.

I buy ground chuck (83 %/ 17% on the label) I've done "regular" too. It's about 75% lean IIRC
Your awesome thanks a bunch

sarbar
06-05-2009, 19:18
How thin did you spread it as well? Keep the layer thin and have parchment paper underneath. Also stir often while drying to help move the moisture.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-05-2009, 19:29
How thin did you spread it as well? Keep the layer thin and have parchment paper underneath. Also stir often while drying to help move the moisture.
I put it on a broiler pan with aluminum foil over the pan with small holes to allow the grease out and keep the meet on. I spread it very thin, maybe an 8th of an inch, maybe less

Wise Old Owl
06-05-2009, 19:31

I generally don't go through all that trouble and please remember Pemmican has some fat in it...So does beef stick pepperoni... all have a long long shelf life.

I do put it in the dryer for 4 hours at least.

atraildreamer
06-05-2009, 20:19
A link that might interest you: :-?

http://www.endtimesreport.com/hamburger_rocks.html

Wise Old Owl
06-05-2009, 21:50
A link that might interest you: :-?

http://www.endtimesreport.com/hamburger_rocks.html

Great job you found it ... Mine turns out like gravel.

Walking Dead
06-06-2009, 08:40
Is there a way to save all the ground beef I have already started preparing? It has been dehydrated at about 200 degrees for around 9 hours on and off for the last 24 hours

You could still try rinsing it in really hot water a couple of times then re-drying

atraildreamer
06-06-2009, 12:51

Maybe the name "Hamburger rocks" is a clue? :D Of course, the committed thru hiker (who probably should be committed ;)) would probably eat real rocks if Sarbar could figure out some way to prepare them in a freezer bag! :-? :banana

sarbar
06-08-2009, 09:33

Which is exactly what you want in the end :D