PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Milk?

ZeroC
06-06-2009, 10:26
I've seen alot of threads talking about people's hiking experiences and i've noticed alot of people seem to have stopped somewhere in the middle of their hike to "refuel" on milk or buttermilk. Why is this? Personally if i'm hiking or exercising i don't know if i could keep milk down if i drank it, it's not really one of those things i say "boy i need something to drink, i'm going to get some milk". Well, atleast not when i'm exercising. Any insight?

warraghiyagey
06-06-2009, 10:44
What is your actual question??

sarbar
06-06-2009, 11:03
ZeroC, I can understand - I don't like drinking cow milk cold (I can only drink it in lattes). But some people love it - the protein, it is minerals and vitamins. Think of it like Gatoraid to some people.....

ZeroC
06-06-2009, 11:24
i guess the question is why do people decide to drink milk over anything else.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-06-2009, 11:28
I am a milkaholic. I normally drink a half gallon a day, and in the summer I will often buy a quart of milk at lunch and drink the whole thing.
I am strange though and I know it. I can do the one gallon challenge, and most the people in the country must know it cuz no one will bet anymore lol.
I take powdered milk on my hikes, but when I hit a town there is nothing I want more than a tall glass of Horizon. Ok maybe a shower, but they are real close.

Old Grouse
06-06-2009, 11:36
I've always found a cold glass of milk to be extremely refreshing, especially when I'm thirsty. I know that can seem counterintiutive. I believe it helps my digestion. And I like to drink a glass before bed.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-06-2009, 11:41
I've always found a cold glass of milk to be extremely refreshing, especially when I'm thirsty. I know that can seem counterintiutive. I believe it helps my digestion. And I like to drink a glass before bed.
Heck yeah. Nothing better that a glass of milk at bed time

ZeroC
06-06-2009, 11:49
Yeah, i enjoy milk before bed. Just don't think i could do it in the middle of physical activity.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-06-2009, 11:54
Yeah, i enjoy milk before bed. Just don't think i could do it in the middle of physical activity.
I think you have to be a milkaholic from youth, because I have seen many people try to keep up with my habit and get sick. I would think it reacts the same in everyones stomach, so my only thought would be that some peoples stomachs don't mind milk curdling inside.

Feral Bill
06-06-2009, 11:56
A Snickers with a cold glass of milk. Ahhhh!

Cabin Fever
06-06-2009, 12:02
My wife has a dairy allergy so she can only drink soy milk. I am also a milkaholic and have a free run at drinking out of the jug!

Often after working in the yard or coming back from a workout, a big gulp of milk is what I crave most. I haven't done powdered milk on a hike yet, but I plan on trying soon.

warraghiyagey
06-06-2009, 12:13
Oh. . . personal preference??

Dr O
06-06-2009, 12:17
I've seen alot of threads talking about people's hiking experiences and i've noticed alot of people seem to have stopped somewhere in the middle of their hike to "refuel" on milk or buttermilk. Why is this? Personally if i'm hiking or exercising i don't know if i could keep milk down if i drank it, it's not really one of those things i say "boy i need something to drink, i'm going to get some milk". Well, atleast not when i'm exercising. Any insight?

Chocolate milk is the best energy drink.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/24/health/webmd/main1342839.shtml

atraildreamer
06-06-2009, 12:43
Lactose intolerant..gotta take the Lactaid pills or instant problems (you wouldn't want to be near me!:eek:). Probably could get through about 1/4 of the half-gallon challenge.

JDCool1
06-06-2009, 19:15
A gallon of ice cold milk and a platter of chocolate chip cookies is the best meal you can have.

Kanati
06-06-2009, 19:54
A gallon of ice cold milk and a platter of chocolate chip cookies is the best meal you can have.

A gallon? Did you say a gallon? That's a lot of moo!!

I drank milk at every opportunity while on the trail. Many times I would leave town with a half gallon and sip it as I walked.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-06-2009, 20:27
A gallon? Did you say a gallon? That's a lot of moo!!

I drank milk at every opportunity while on the trail. Many times I would leave town with a half gallon and sip it as I walked.The 1 gallon challenge.
Get a bunch of people together, have each buy a gallon of milk (self included), every one bets a 20, and who ever can drink 1 gallon in 1 hour without vomiting wins. If No one wins you all get your money back. Just don't play against me, unless you want to lose your money lol.

ShakeyLeggs
06-06-2009, 20:40
I normally don't drink milk. I have found though that after I am in the woods for an extended period of time I start to crave milk. I have gotten to the point that now if I plan on any hike over 1 week I carry Nido so I can get my milk fix.

bikebum1975
06-06-2009, 21:04
The 1 gallon challenge.
Get a bunch of people together, have each buy a gallon of milk (self included), every one bets a 20, and who ever can drink 1 gallon in 1 hour without vomiting wins. If No one wins you all get your money back. Just don't play against me, unless you want to lose your money lol.

Sounds like we have a challange I love milk and could easily chug a gallon of it. I adore an ice cold glass of milk when it's hot out and when I am working out best drink.

Blissful
06-06-2009, 21:10
Milk provides calcium which is needed in muscle contraction. A good thing to take in.

Slo-go'en
06-06-2009, 23:16
I chug a quart of chocolate milk as soon as I hit a town. Then buy another for later. Don't like plain milk unless it's in my morning cerial. Its likely the calcium and proten in the milk we crave after a week or two on the trail.

vonfrick
06-06-2009, 23:20
chocolate milk is also the first thing i grab when i get into town. i drink it while i'm walking around the mini-mart trying to decide what else i must immediately have!

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-06-2009, 23:26
chocolate milk is also the first thing i grab when i get into town. i drink it while i'm walking around the mini-mart trying to decide what else i must immediately have!
So am I the only one who carries powdered milk?

vonfrick
06-06-2009, 23:33

i measure it out into all my foods as neccessary before leaving home, e.g. liptons, mac n cheese, stuff i dehydrated etc. i use carnation instant breakfast with just water (package says to use milk but it's fine without) for cereal 5 out of 7 days hiking. the chocolate is especially good with froot loops!!! :banana

CrumbSnatcher
06-06-2009, 23:41
Chocolate milk is the best energy drink.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/24/health/webmd/main1342839.shtml
on my last thruhike i was obsessed with chocolate milk. i would buy 1-2 qts. anyplace and everyplace they sold it. i was hooked on nestle's quick. i can't do the warm milk thing the colder the better. i will even put ice cubes in my glass sometimes.

Hikes in Rain
06-07-2009, 07:12

Far from it, to ready this thread. I carry it to add to the nightly Liptons, the morning grits, and just to have a cup made with fresh cold spring water!

kayak karl
06-07-2009, 09:00
on my last thruhike i was obsessed with chocolate milk. i would buy 1-2 qts. anyplace and everyplace they sold it. i was hooked on nestle's quick. i can't do the warm milk thing the colder the better. i will even put ice cubes in my glass sometimes.
same here. i even put a spoon of instant coffee it to perk it up.

Old Grouse
06-07-2009, 09:04
For me the two-part secret to making powdered milk taste ok is (a) use the coldest possible water and (b) shake like crazy for a lot longer than normal.

Fiddleback
06-07-2009, 10:25
I use to be a milk-aholic suffering through the raised eyebrows of pretentious staff when I ordered milk with my fine-restaurant meals. And I always found happiness with a big glass of cold milk, a salt shaker, a spoon and a jar of Skippy peanut butter. But my cholesterol levels eventually ended those pleasures...skim milk just ain't the same (the salt shaker is gone too). But even back then I had to wonder...it this natural? Adults of one species drinking the milk of another?:-?

On the other hand, ice cream at bedtime is what the Founding Fathers had in mind when they codified Pursuit of Happiness.:D

FB

LaurieAnn
06-07-2009, 10:30
Milk does a body good... and usually after a long hike or paddle we will stop for coffee on the way home (my husband is a coffee junkie) and I will always have milk, usually chocolate. I'm not sure why... it's not really a conscious thing but I guess maybe my body craves it. I also have dairy on the trail... even make my own yogurt on some trips.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-07-2009, 10:34
I use to be a milk-aholic suffering through the raised eyebrows of pretentious staff when I ordered milk with my fine-restaurant meals. And I always found happiness with a big glass of cold milk, a salt shaker, a spoon and a jar of Skippy peanut butter. But my cholesterol levels eventually ended those pleasures...skim milk just ain't the same (the salt shaker is gone too). But even back then I had to wonder...it this natural? Adults of one species drinking the milk of another?:-?

On the other hand, ice cream at bedtime is what the Founding Fathers had in mind when they codified Pursuit of Happiness.:D

FBTry Horizon. The skim tastes better than most companies whole milk. Also depending on the town Horizon offers specialty milks.

Dr O
06-07-2009, 18:43
But even back then I had to wonder...it this natural? Adults of one species drinking the milk of another?:-?

nope, not natural at all, it plays absolute havoc on your immune system, your body starts producing excess mucous like crazy after taking a few swigs.

Not to mention, it's not even natural to be lactose TOLERANT when you've
given up breastfeeding. Lactose intolerant people are normal, the rest of us are the freaks.

Many Walks
06-07-2009, 20:35
I'm not sure the answer to the original question is specifically milk, but it's a craving that for some people results in drinking milk. When you're on a distance hike some craving will pop into your head that seems to stick there till it's satisfied at the next town. Could be anything...ice cold glass of chocolate milk, gatorade, cheeseburgers, pizza, ice cream, breakfast, all of them, etc. For me it seemed to vary, some times it was milk, but I always had food or drink of some type calling from the next town.

JAK
06-08-2009, 08:31
It is an awesome food for hiking, and compliments grains for complete protiens. I drink it mostly as chai. I've started making my oatmeal with chai also. I use loose tea leaves of a good tea and add my own spices from the bulk barn. Cardamom and cloves are the two most important, then anise, ginger, black pepper, and cinnamon. I am really not sure how important the ginger and black pepper are. Might be just a way to keep the cost down, as cardamom is expensive. I am working on the best combination for masking the skim milk powder taste. Extra cloves might be the ticket. Maybe nutmeg.

So I boil up a pot or kettle of water then sprinkle in 100g of skim milk powder per litre of water, which is about 1:3 by volume for full strength milk. I sprinkle from the top down so it doesn't clump. You could cook it further if using a burner rather than a Kelly Kettle. I haven't tried that but it might help the taste. Then I add the tea and spices. I haven't played with adding the spices sooner or later either. Anyhow, once it steeps about 5 minutes then it can gets weird. If I am making oatmeal, I strain the chai directly onto my oats, dump the tea leaves somewhere safe, then strain half the chai back out of my oats into a mug and start sipping the tea as my oat finish soaking, then eat oats as I finish my chai. Sometimes I will just make chai without oats, but lately I've been having alot of oats, or oats with 7 grain or 12 grain cereal mixed in to make it a bit denser my volume. If I start doing alot more hiking the oats and chai might get old but right now its working well for me. For extra calories or extra flavour currants and almonds and honey can be added. I will carry at least 200g of skim milk powder per day, enough for 2 litres of milk equivalent. Figuring out the right sized pots and mugs and strainers is still a bit of a work in progress. I would like it to become somewhat ritualistic, but I'm note there yet. Still working out best stove also. Last trip rocks worked very well. In winter and for nasty weather under a tarp might be good to have a fool proof fallback. Maybe the Kelly Kettle. Maybe a hobo stove.

atraildreamer
06-12-2009, 17:31
Lactose intolerant people are normal, the rest of us are the freaks.

Being lactose intolerant, I feel totally vindicated by the above statement. :rolleyes:

The next time someone says: "Who is that crazy @#$%^&* ? :eek: I can say that I am a completely (?) NORMAL (?) person you lactose tolerant freakazoid! :D

(Note: Drinking milk before a game of fart baseball, sans the Lactaid pills, does make for an interesting, but smelly game! :o :banana

double j
06-12-2009, 17:39
mmmmmmmmmmmm love my nedo powdered milk n cereal

Jester2000
06-12-2009, 18:30
Sounds like we have a challange I love milk and could easily chug a gallon of it. I adore an ice cold glass of milk when it's hot out and when I am working out best drink.

I doubt you could "easily" chug a gallon of it, but there's one way to find out . . .

http://www.technicianonline.com/features/chugging-for-glory-1.1110141

Man, I thought I was the only one who craved chocolate milk like crazy when I hit town. Good to know I'm not the only one.

By the way, I tried the gallon challenge last year with chocolate milk, which I loved, but it turned out I could not, in fact, easily chug a gallon of it. Got 3/4 of the way thru, and the milk yo-yoed on me.

Jayboflavin04
06-16-2009, 00:07
All this talk about "craving" milk got me to thinking. I was watching a show on discovery. It was about the human body and tramatic situations.

This gentleman was lost at sea. During this period he was catching fish and was able to keep himself alive. BUT after a while he started eating fish eyeballs and other parts not normally consumed. It was his body actually releasing chemicals telling him "fish eyes taste good!". His body was so lacking in certain dietary necessities that drove him to eat and "ENJOY" these oddities.

I like milk also! I do find myself craving a glass now and again. Milk doesnt really quench your thirst. So I can understand were you are coming from.

cavscout
06-16-2009, 09:38
Ditto. I think the craving has to do with the body not getting enough fat or calcium in the other food. Coming off the trail of a weekend hike I would usually just order a couple of hamburgers but after a week long hike I'd order two milks and a milkshake with the hamburgers. My body just craved the milk products.

I normally don't drink milk. I have found though that after I am in the woods for an extended period of time I start to crave milk. I have gotten to the point that now if I plan on any hike over 1 week I carry Nido so I can get my milk fix.

jrnj5k
06-23-2009, 15:12
Being lactose intolerant, I feel totally vindicated by the above statement. :rolleyes:

The next time someone says: "Who is that crazy @#$%^&* ? :eek: I can say that I am a completely (?) NORMAL (?) person you lactose tolerant freakazoid! :D

(Note: Drinking milk before a game of fart baseball, sans the Lactaid pills, does make for an interesting, but smelly game! :o :banana
Milk is actually not to good for you as an adult for a variety of reasons. We happen to be the only species who drink milk as adults. Milk is designed to fuel you during the most rapid growth stage of your life. Not only do we drink milk we drink cows milk which is designed to grow cows to many hundreds of lbs in several weeks and keep all 4 of their stomachs full. Try organic soy.....

sarbar
06-23-2009, 22:31
The only way I like dairy milk is in things or in hot lattes (steaming the milk changes the sugars/the taste alters). For the most part at home we drink organic soy milk on cereal.

Then again, I honestly could have water on cold cereal.

Now a cold ice tea on the other hand :D

CrumbSnatcher
06-23-2009, 23:02
wish i remember where i read it the other day, a new study suggest. soy is alot better for women than men. men have a tendency to enlarge their breast if consuming too much soy.true or not i know i read it!

sarbar
06-24-2009, 00:41
wish i remember where i read it the other day, a new study suggest. soy is alot better for women than men. men have a tendency to enlarge their breast if consuming too much soy.true or not i know i read it!

My son drank soy formula. Won't touch cow milk - he doesn't like the taste (I do think it is a learned taste, kind of like beer or coffee). He does though think vanilla soy juice (hah!) is the best drink ever. Chugs that stuff like water.

Kid is 11 1/2 and taller than me now. Skinny as a beanpole and sporting the start of a mustache :eek: Tallest kid in his class as well.

The kids (boys) in his class with boobs also have ,er, extra padding on their frames :D There was a LOT of boys in his class wearing husky sized pants this year.

I don't worry about it - he eats a rounded diet. Kid thinks Bison steak should be served nightly and attacks meat like he was a raptor. That rounds out all the soy :p

CrumbSnatcher
06-24-2009, 05:59
the study was about men, not young boys. kids should be fine.

kanga
06-24-2009, 07:49
because it rocks! i too am a milkaholic. i drink a gallon a day, sometimes more. it's like crack to me. if i don't get it, i get ill, as in pissy. i wish i had a sherpa to lug a cooler full of milk with me on my hikes.

saimyoji
06-24-2009, 08:02

ms has been pushing this for years. he has some interesting things to say about cuttlefish, seaweed and beards, you might wanna PM him.

Jayboflavin04
06-24-2009, 12:17
Milk is actually not to good for you as an adult for a variety of reasons. We happen to be the only species who drink milk as adults. Milk is designed to fuel you during the most rapid growth stage of your life. Not only do we drink milk we drink cows milk which is designed to grow cows to many hundreds of lbs in several weeks and keep all 4 of their stomachs full. Try organic soy.....

I prefer human mild straight from the tap! It is a little hard to find! j/k...:)
I have heard that before!

Hikes in Rain
06-24-2009, 12:37
because it rocks! i too am a milkaholic. i drink a gallon a day, sometimes more. it's like crack to me. if i don't get it, i get ill, as in pissy. i wish i had a sherpa to lug a cooler full of milk with me on my hikes.

That would be perfect! A viable alternative, at least for me, is NIDO (powdered whole milk) made a little strong, using water straight from the spring so it's cold enough to frost the water bottle. By the end of the first day, it tastes close enough to fresh as to make no difference.

Dicentra
06-25-2009, 10:28
I don't do milk... Cheese on the other hand... NOM!

Marta
06-25-2009, 12:11

Chalk up another one. In civilian life I don't drink milk. But the more I hike, the more I crave chocolate milk. For on-trail consumption, though, I carry cheese.

MOWGLI
06-25-2009, 12:22
I found myself craving milk, and I don't drink milk ever. I think my body was telling me I needed fat. I listened.

IceAge
06-26-2009, 09:33
People have been raising goats and cows and drinking milk for thousands of years, I'm not going to sit here and waste a lot of time wondering how 'natural' it is. Besides, I am from Wisconsin, so get your asses out there and drink some MILK! And eat cheese with it!

T-Dubs
06-26-2009, 10:13
People have been raising goats and cows and drinking milk for thousands of years, I'm not going to sit here and waste a lot of time wondering how 'natural' it is.

For me, your time-line of 'natural' is at question here. It takes quite a while for us to adapt to changes in our diets. One quote I like is that we have 'a Fred Flintstone* metabolism with a George Jetson diet.' So is 'natural' a couple of thousand years or a couple of million years?

I used to eat soy as an alternative until I researched some of the problems with that product. As for milk-it-does-a-body-good, if you can get either raw or non-homogenized it would be a better choice. On those few times I buy cheese, I always look for raw milk varieties.

http://www.earthyfamily.com/A-choles.htm

TWS

*When I stray from my Paleo-inspired diet, my son asks: WWFFD?
What Would Fred Flintstone Do?

Jester2000
06-29-2009, 17:22
I don't do milk... Cheese on the other hand... NOM!

Don't get me started on cheese.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2009, 17:24
i hate cheese. i never eat it. this includes pizza. i like cheetos though

Panzer1
06-29-2009, 23:14
... i like cheetos though

That stuff is bad for you.

Panzer

Flush2wice
06-30-2009, 00:00
i hate cheese. i never eat it. this includes pizza. i like cheetos though
Crunchy I hope. Those puffy ones are worthless unless you like picking styrofoam out of your molars.

Flush2wice
06-30-2009, 00:08
I found this stuff called Klim (http://www.asiamex.com/proddetail.cfm?CFID=8294779&CFTOKEN=99640&ItemID=1120&CategoryID=2&SubCatID=4) and used it on my last hike. Most powdered milk is fat free and this is whole. I used it on granola cerial for breakfast plus added it to noodle dinners or mashed taters.
Mix it up at night in a quart bottle and let it sit in the spring or creek overnight.

Pedaling Fool
07-04-2009, 09:25
http://nutrition.suite101.com/article.cfm/chocolate_milk_the_ultimate_sports_drink

Pedaling Fool
07-04-2009, 09:36
...We happen to be the only species who drink milk as adults...

Try organic soy.....
We're also the only species that has gone to the moon.

Organic, Organic, Organic:datz...I'm sick of everyone having public orgasms over organic sht.

Hikes in Rain
07-04-2009, 11:05
I suspect that we're the only species that figured out how to keep animals for their milk. The moon took a little longer, but we sure got there! :)

Now, if we could just get back......:-?