PDA

View Full Version : It's official - I'm moving to Tennessee

SGT Rock
06-28-2004, 14:28
I just found out I am moving to Knoxville, TN. My current report date is September 20th 2004. I reckon I am about to become a Tennessean.

See y'all on the mountain!

MOWGLI
06-28-2004, 14:33
I just found out I am moving to Knoxville, TN. My current report date is September 20th 2004. I reckon I am about to become a Tennessean.

Welcome Sarge. I'd love to show you around a bit. I'm still a newcomer myself though.

Hey, I have an idea. Maybe we can organize some Whiteblaze day hikes or weekend rambles in the future. What do you think? There are enough members on this site now to do it. You could lead the first one in the Smoky Mountains in the Fall. What do you think?

Little Bear

SGT Rock
06-28-2004, 14:40
Sounds good. Maybe we can even get into the park and do some WhiteBlaze Trail Magic next year during the thru-hike season.

Jaybird
06-28-2004, 16:38
I just found out I am moving to Knoxville, TN. My current report date is September 20th 2004. I reckon I am about to become a Tennessean.See y'all on the mountain!

Welcome to TENNESSEE Rock!

i think getting some of the WHITEBLAZE folks together for a SMOKIES hike is a GREAT idea!

let me know when...i'll make the 4 hour drive! :D

for some possible planning suggestions..check out:

http://www.tennesseetrails.org/calendar.php (http://www.tennesseetrails.org/calendar.php)

geoffrey morris
06-28-2004, 16:41
:welcome Hey SGT Rock, If your ever up near Roan mnt. TN look us up.I once lived in Alcoa(7th grade), it's next to Knoxville.

Stuart
06-28-2004, 16:49
I'd love to live that close to the trail and GSMNP. Congratulations. See ya in the Smoky Mountains.

pvtmorriscsa
06-28-2004, 17:13
Hey Top,

What's the Green Machine got you doing in TN?

SGT Rock
06-28-2004, 17:24
I will be the senior NCO for the 4th Brigade, 85th Division. This "division" is really a training agumentation for the national guard. In that part of TN, they have the 278th Cavalry Regiment.

A little history. Prior to the Gulf War (GW I) there were a group of officers known as AC/RC advisors (Active Component/Reserve Component) who were assigned to National Guard and reserve units to sort of help guide along these reserve component units and help track training for the pentagon slave masters. During GW I, a lot of units were called up that were combat units, unfortunatly none of the units ever deployed because in their training center rotations to get out the door, most of the units could not pass all the gate requirements.

Congress did a study to look at the reasons, and one component was the fact that not all AC/RC advisor slots were filled and a lot of the combat arms AC/RC advisors were not the best quality officers available. To remedy this, congress mandated the slots to be filled and eventually allowed some of these slots to be senior NCOs and they also increased the positions. So in about 1995 (give or take) the system was expanded.

So as to EXACTLY what I will do, I am clueless, probably doing the same thing I do now. Basically make sure the AC/RC advisors keep working, get paid on time, get NCOERs and awards turned in on time. Stuff like that. I will probably get latterally appointed back to MSG but still do a 1SGs job.

Lilred
06-28-2004, 17:30
:welcome to Tennessee Sarge !!

I know you'll love it out by Knoxville. I highly recommend checking into Wear's Valley or Maryville for places to live. As for Whiteblaze outings in the Smokies, count me in.

Jaybird, I'll go with ya and we can split expenses....

slowroller
06-28-2004, 17:50
Whiteblaze Smokies hike!!! now thats what Im talkin bout.........Only about 4 hours for me....If it happens count me in.........

Pencil Pusher
06-28-2004, 17:55
Cake walk!

Chip
06-28-2004, 18:11
Congratulations on your move SGT Rock ! :clap If a group of Whiteblazers get together for a Smokies outing that would be great. There are several of us here in the Asheville area that would like to join in on the fun !

Happy Trails,
Chip

Lone Wolf
06-28-2004, 18:16
Smokies too crowded, too many regs. How about somewhere just north or south of there.

SGT Rock
06-28-2004, 20:10
Well I think north would be OK, somewhere up around beauty spot maybe. I haven't hiked the section between NOC and Fontanna, but I have been told it is a harder than average climb without a good payoff at the top.

Lone Wolf
06-28-2004, 20:14
Oh contraire! 8 miles north of NOC is Cheoah Bald. Kick ass views and sunset. I've camped there a dozen times.

MOWGLI
06-28-2004, 20:17
Smokies too crowded, too many regs. How about somewhere just north or south of there.

LW, maybe you could lead a Whiteblaze Blueblazeathon. Heck, I'd think the Smokies would appeal to a blue blazer like yourself. There is 900 miles of trail in the Smokies, and only 75 of it is on the AT! Got any favorite blue blazes in the park?

Brushy Sage
Congratulations on having a firm assignment! You'll be a relatively close neighbor, and I look forward to meeting you somewhere on the trail! North of the Smokies you're in Carolina Mountain Club territory for almost a hundred AT miles.

SGT Rock
OK then. Either way is good. I was also planning to do some loop hikes around the area since living there will make it easy to just get a drop off and pick up from the wife. Maybe I can get her set up as a shuttle from Clingman's Dome or something to make a little money on the side ;)

Big Guy
06-28-2004, 20:41
Rock: Welcome :welcome to the great state of Tennessee. I have lived here almost 20 years and it is a great place to be. Live in Johnson City about 1 1/2 hrs from Knoxville. You should enjoy it here with all that can be done in the outdoors and an easy drive to many places on the AT and many great trails in the Smokies. If you put a white blaze hike together post it and you should get a great response if the timing is right I might join in. Best Wishes on your reassignment. Happy Trails

SGT Rock
06-28-2004, 20:50
Thanks ya'll. I am looking forward to this. One thing is for sure, gear testing will be a lot more fun living near the Smoky Mountains than it has been here in Louisiana.

smokymtnsteve
06-28-2004, 22:08
Back of Beyond....

Needles
06-28-2004, 23:56

Congrats Rock!
I will be moving back to Tennessee this fall and can't wait to get there. I am sure you will love almost everything about TN, but I do have one suggestion. If you haven't had the great honor of trying one before I urge you to stop in to the first Krystal restaurant you come across and treat yourself to the absolute best, small, square, burger you will ever eat. Just make sure you don't get to far away from a bathroom for the 7 or 8 hours after you eat it :-)

pvtmorriscsa
06-29-2004, 00:21
I will be the senior NCO for the 4th Brigade, 85th Division. This "division" is really a training agumentation for the national guard. In that part of TN, they have the 278th Cavalry Regiment........

Whew Top, I was afraid that you might have been assigned to recruiting. :rolleyes:
I have no doubt that your wisdom and experiance will help knock any unit you serve with into fighting shape.
As to TN. I drive through Knoxville on my way to SC to visit my folks. What a beautiful part of the country. The only place I have been that I think is prettier than the Smokies, is the Rockies. (I am sure my opinion will be different when I finish my thru-hike next fall.)

Doctari
06-29-2004, 05:55
I'm Jealous! ;)

I was going to move to Alcoa as the company I worked for has an office there, Less than 30 minutes from the Smokies (35 miles exactly from the Big Lots to Elkmont campground) & I would have transfered with all my vacation time & Seniority. Unfortunatly, the Rural Metro management manual consists ONLY of Dilbert cartoons taped into a binder. :rolleyes: So I no longer work for them, my choice :clap

I think you will like tha Knoxville area, we visit fairly often & enjoy it. Alcoa is fairly close, a reasonably neat town on a good route to the smokies but not terribly touresty (is that a word?).

As to the group White blaze thing, count me in, as the new job allows me to be off Thrs, Fri, Sat, Sun. :banana :clap :D :jump

Doctari.

SGT Rock
06-29-2004, 06:26
I did the recruiting thing from 1990 to 1992 in Beaver Dam Wisconsin. I would probably fake a mental illness before I did that again. It was the absolute worst job I have ever had in my entire life.

As to Krystals, I grew up in the south. Krystals I already know. Thanks for the tip.

Rebel, with a Cause!
06-29-2004, 07:25
Yes, I live outside of Knoxville, near Maryville, TN. Its on the way to the Smokies by way of Townsend, TN, on the Cades Cove side, about 20 miles from the park. I have hiked about 3/4s of the 900 Miles in the Smokies and attempted a Thru in 2002.

Best of all, I have 3 Hennessy Hammocks. I helped Tom at Trail Days in 2000, 2001 and 2002 and he endorsed my hike in 2002.

I cant wait for you to get here.

Send me an email and we will get together

[email protected]

PS: I can show the way to the secret Bat Cave :)

smokymtnsteve
06-29-2004, 07:37
I did the recruiting thing from 1990 to 1992 in Beaver Dam Wisconsin. I would probably fake a mental illness before I did that again. .

If it comes to that ..let me know cause i'll be glad to give you some tips so that your "fake" mental illness would seem MORE REAL. :jump

SGT Rock
06-29-2004, 07:58
I guess when I get settled, I will just post an announcement for a "Great Smoky Mountains Housewarming Hike", we will set a date and route, then see who can make it. I think it would be a great idea for a WhiteBlaze hike, and that way I cen meet some more of you.

Steve, if I needed advise on being mentaly ill, you would be my first choice as a consultant. :D

bunbun
06-29-2004, 11:17
I guess when I get settled, I will just post an announcement for a "Great Smoky Mountains Housewarming Hike", we will set a date and route, then see who can make it. I think it would be a great idea for a WhiteBlaze hike, and that way I cen meet some more of you.

Steve, if I needed advise on being mentaly ill, you would be my first choice as a consultant. :D

Top -
I'll add my congratulations, too. Tennessee is definitely one of the better places to spend some time. And it'll put you close enough to West Virginia that you'll be able to make it to the Gathering this year. Something to think about - then you'd meet a whole gaggle of thruhikers.

I've always been of the opinion that being insane isn't the same as being mentally ill. But then I'm not exactly a disinterested observer. :D

Saluki Dave
06-29-2004, 12:34
Can ya hang on long enough, Rock?

SGT Rock
06-29-2004, 13:18
I figure I could make SGM or CSM someday, I only have 18 years and 10 months and have met everything I need to do juat about to get selected. But if I got into the right place at the right time in my life that I felt I was ready to get out as a E8, I would.

Rain Man
06-29-2004, 15:49

You know all the stanzas to "Rocky Top" yet????? LOL

Welcome to Tennessee!!! I'm in Nashville.
:sun
Rain Man

SGT Rock
06-29-2004, 16:13
Speaking of Rocky Top. I have a friend that lives in Athens that has been trying to find the real Rocky Top. Anyone know where it is so I can sound like an expert.

Jaybird
06-29-2004, 16:33
Rock

many years ago...when i wuz in the radio biz (as a d.j.) i met Felice & Boudleaux Bryant (the husband/wife team that wrote the song) &
they told me that "Rocky Top" is where-ever you want it to be.....BUT, their inspiration for the song was a small spot in the road south of Crossville, TN, just off hwy 127 South going toward Pikeville,TN

(i've been there...it is just a spot in the road with an old beer joint still there)

and anyway...i dont sing "Rocky Top"...(thats the U.T. song)...i'm a long suffering Vanderbilt Fan! hehehehehe :D

Tim Rich
06-29-2004, 16:42
Rock

many years ago...when i wuz in the radio biz (as a d.j.) i met Felice & Boudleaux Bryant (the husband/wife team that wrote the song) &
they told me that "Rocky Top" is where-ever you want it to be.....BUT, their inspiration for the song was a small spot in the road south of Crossville, TN, just off hwy 127 South going toward Pikeville,TN

(i've been there...it is just a spot in the road with an old beer joint still there)

and anyway...i dont sing "Rocky Top"...(thats the U.T. song)...i'm a long suffering Vanderbilt Fan! hehehehehe :D

Doesn't the AT cross a crag named Rocky Top in the Smokies? Seems like I remember climbing it, singing a bastardized version of "rocky top" from the bottom of my Crimson Tide heart. Even if it isn't the namesake for the song, I thought it was neat...

Groucho
06-29-2004, 18:07
Yes, between Spence Field and Thunderhead on the AT in GSMNP. Three Rocky Tops in TN.

SGT Rock
06-29-2004, 18:11
The individual that was interested in Rocky Top's location is not yet a hiker, but is interested. He wants to hike to Rocky Top. So I rekon I can pick on on the AT to suit him.

steve hiker
06-29-2004, 20:45
Lucky dog. What a wonderful place to get re-assigned to. And after spending over a year in Iraq, you certainly deserve the assignment of your choice.

If I could up and move to anywhere in the U.S., East TN would be in the top three spots, along with Colorado and somewhere along the Pacific Coast. But I'd probably favor the southern Appalachians, which have a beauty beyond description that pulls you back again and again, unlike anywhere I've ever been before.

And of course, the hiking opportunities are practically unsurpassed, at least in the East.

Daddy Longlegs
06-29-2004, 22:23
Tn is great but if you head south or south/east then you will be in places that are less crowded then the smokeys. (there are still places that are not crowed though, but not many) I am 100 miles south of you (Chattanooga) and if you ever want some areas that are not crowded let me know.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2004, 22:25
Joyce Kilmer. Let's go there!

SGT Rock
06-29-2004, 22:32
Joyce Kilmer Rocks! There are just so many oportunities in the area. How about Max Patch?

Lone Wolf
06-29-2004, 22:36
Max is cool.

Groucho
06-29-2004, 22:39
The individual that was interested in Rocky Top's location is not yet a hiker, but is interested. He wants to hike to Rocky Top. So I rekon I can pick on on the AT to suit him.

Good first hike although it is about 7 mi. one way with 3500' of climb from Cades Cove. :eek:

slowroller
06-29-2004, 22:51
Trees

"I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of Robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;