PDA

View Full Version : Nonprofit Wilderness Education for Youth

Almost There
06-06-2009, 20:47
Hi All,

Some of you know me, although I haven't been around online, much of late. I am currently a teacher with eight years of experience, and I also have a few years of business management experience. In the past I have also worked on public policy while in college, and immediately after. In addition I have been enjoying the wilderness since my parents started taking me out the Frisco area of Colorado as a 5 year old boy.

I am in the process of putting the paperwork together to begin a nonprofit wilderness education for the youth of America. The pilot program will take place in the Atlanta metro area. If successful, I hope that in the future we will be able to open satellite chapters in other cities. It will include partnerships with area schools and youth groups, that include not only educational presentations, but also will include wilderness trips(backpacking being the medium of choice), and volunteer experiences. In addition, I hope to partner with other wilderness, and trail organizations, to help spread our ideas. My hope is to provide most services for free, or at a minimal cost to children.

Today's youth is more sedentary than ever before. In addition most wilderness youth organizations deal with inner city, or at risk youth. Also, unlike Outward Bound, which can be a rewarding experience, our focus will be more on wilderness, outdoor issues, activism, and volunteerism. While I have no intention of closing the doors on inner city youth, my intention is to reach all youth possible, regardless of socio-economic backgrounds. The goal of the organization wll be to introduce and hopefully foster a lifelong love of things doing with the wilderness to youth (ranging from ages 5-21), and our individual impact on such things.

I am in the very early stages of beginning to develop the plan, but I hope to begin filing the paper work in the next 1-3 months. What I am beginning to look at is forming a board of directors, and I would like it to be a diverse group that can bring their talents to bear in order to make this organization successful.

I will be leaving for my annual summer hike on Monday, and will be out for three weeks, but when I get back I will begin talking to people, as I do have a few people in mind for possible board positions. That being said, I know many of you live in the Atlanta metro area. If this sounds like something you might be interested in doing, please send me a message via email. Please let me know your real name, contact information, line of work, and what talents you could bring to bear that would help us become successful.

Also, if you have any questions feel free to email me as well, this is only a small intro as to what we will do, and my reasons for doing it, but my final thought is this.

Many of todays trail and wilderness organizations although successful, and hardworking, are also aging. Who will take over all of the responsibilities of those who work so hard today? It is my hope that if my organization can be successful that we will help bring about a new generation of avid wilderness vistors and volunteers, who upon reaching adulthood will join other organizations and become active members and volunteers.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope to hear from some of you.

Miss Janet
06-06-2009, 21:56
Hey Lady!!! I am so proud of you and your efforts. I would love to geta chance to talk to you about your plans. I have looked at several areas that you mention while I was working on my business plans for my proposed Erwin Hiking Center.

Miss Janet
06-06-2009, 21:58
LOL!!! LADY? Ha Ha Ha but I actually do know an Almost There that is very much a female! Sorry. Yes, I am proud of you as well!

Almost There
06-06-2009, 22:06
That's all right, but now I know I'm gonna get krap from some of the guys! Yeah, in the last couple years I've run into her a couple of places. I'll be in touch, would love to hear your thoughts!

Dogwood
06-07-2009, 01:16
Do you have to live in the Atlanta area right now to be part of the program. Sounds like something I would be interested in. Email me via WB if you find that more appropriate.

Jayboflavin04
06-08-2009, 09:27
Wow...what an awesome idea. I am glad to here there is someone fighting against the x-box. I hope things work out for you!