PDA

View Full Version : Gear advice needed

gregp
06-07-2009, 00:01
Looking to trim some...

Here's what I have. Some weights may be slightly off but are generally close.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/highslide/graphics/warning.gif
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h272/gregp701/004.jpg (http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h272/gregp701/004.jpg)

Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian - 3 pounds 8 ounces

Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 with footprint - 4 pounds

Coleman Cloudcroft 20 deg. down bag - 2 pounds 4 ounces

Pacific Outdoors Ether thermo6 long - 1 pound 6 ounces

Jet boil w/fuel canister - 1 pound 3 ounces

Katadyn Vario - 15 ounces

Base weight of pack= 14 pounds

Also included in pic are Leki poles, a small first aid kit which includes hygiene products. A Petzl head lamp, Leatherman blast, compass, permanent marker wrapped in duct tape, spork, waterproof matches, hand sanitizer, and the green stuff sack contains 4 days worth of food (roughly 6 pounds). The empty red stuff sack is for extra clothing, and the little orange bag is a rain cover for the pack.

All items considered less water, this pack comes in well under 25 pounds.

what I have now is very comfortable creature comfort wise, but no so much weight wise. Too much stove? Too much tent? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

MintakaCat
06-07-2009, 05:35
You could save 7.5 oz by switching to this:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/amigo.htm

KMACK
06-07-2009, 06:32
loose the Leatherman. Are you taking the item w/the folding stock I see in the back ground???

Reid
06-07-2009, 07:09
loose the Leatherman. Are you taking the item w/the folding stock I see in the back ground???

Ha. I saw that too. I wouldn't worry about your weights neccessarily. Just don't hemmorage weight on food and water and I don't see any additional clothing there either but you should be fine IMO.

MintakaCat
06-07-2009, 07:30
and I don't see any additional clothing there either

I think he said the red stuff sack is for extra clothing.

gregp
06-07-2009, 08:24
You could save 7.5 oz by switching to this:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/amigo.htm

That is really cool! I love the idea of having a portable shower. I might need to consider this... :-?

gregp
06-07-2009, 08:26

You don't think the leatherman may come in handy?

No the folding stock item stays home. I'm not sure how that thing snuck into the picture. I didn't notice it until after the picture was taken. I think it may be there for the subliminal effect. :D

gregp
06-07-2009, 08:34
Ha. I saw that too. I wouldn't worry about your weights neccessarily. Just don't hemmorage weight on food and water and I don't see any additional clothing there either but you should be fine IMO.

The food sack is actually the heaviest item in the pack. I'm sure I'm bringing too much food, but better safe than sorry for a first trek on the trail.

For water, the pack has a bladder and I figured on two plastic 32oz water bottles. With a full water supply, I'm figuring the pack will weigh in at around 30 pounds.

Extra clothing will consist of extra socks, an extra pair of underwear, and an extra Tshirt. I'll be checking the weather right before I leave to see if I may need a warmer layer for the evenings. Also included in the pack which I forgot to mention is a light weight rain poncho.

bigcranky
06-07-2009, 11:57
You don't think the leatherman may come in handy?

For what? Seriously. I used to carry one, but then I realized that I didn't have any gear that could be fixed with pliers/saw/bit drivers, etc. If you have items that might need these tools, then it may be useful.

I carry a tiny little SAK with a blade, scissors (the most useful item), tweezers, and a toothpick.

Your overall pack list is pretty light. If you're walking away from the trailhead with <30 pounds with food and water, that's not bad. (And it's about half of what I saw on a lot of starting thru-hikers in March.)

gregp
06-07-2009, 18:25
For what? Seriously. I used to carry one, but then I realized that I didn't have any gear that could be fixed with pliers/saw/bit drivers, etc. If you have items that might need these tools, then it may be useful.

I carry a tiny little SAK with a blade, scissors (the most useful item), tweezers, and a toothpick.

Your overall pack list is pretty light. If you're walking away from the trailhead with <30 pounds with food and water, that's not bad. (And it's about half of what I saw on a lot of starting thru-hikers in March.)

You know, now that you say that I now realize that perhaps the leatherman is overkill. I did think the saw might come in handy for firewood but more than likely, I'll only be burning sticks and twigs. I may substitute a pocket knife instead.

As far as gear weight goes, you give me confidence that I'm not terribly overweight.

Thanks Bigcranky, as always your advice is very appreciated.

garlic08
06-07-2009, 19:26
You obviously have all the stuff and it all looks like good choices to start with. You can fine-tune as you go, depending on budget and what you see out there that you like. For instance, as nice as the Jetboil is, you may find yourself admiring home-made pepsi can alcohol stoves. Or you may have problems puncturing the pad or burning little holes in it around the crackling campfire, and you'll end up with a closed-cell foam model.

Your water filter may last a while, but many break in the first month or so. A popular lighter and more reliable alternative is AquaMira, a two-part chemical. You may want to have something like that on hand to have shipped to you if the filter doesn't make it. You may find, as some do, that much of the spring water along the trail is really excellent and doesn't need treatment, thereby prolonging the life of your filter or chemicals.

I definitely agree with leaving the Leatherman behind. And six pounds of food does not sound like too much for four days, depending on how tough those days are.

gregp
06-08-2009, 19:49
You obviously have all the stuff and it all looks like good choices to start with. You can fine-tune as you go, depending on budget and what you see out there that you like. For instance, as nice as the Jetboil is, you may find yourself admiring home-made pepsi can alcohol stoves. Or you may have problems puncturing the pad or burning little holes in it around the crackling campfire, and you'll end up with a closed-cell foam model.

Your water filter may last a while, but many break in the first month or so. A popular lighter and more reliable alternative is AquaMira, a two-part chemical. You may want to have something like that on hand to have shipped to you if the filter doesn't make it. You may find, as some do, that much of the spring water along the trail is really excellent and doesn't need treatment, thereby prolonging the life of your filter or chemicals.

I definitely agree with leaving the Leatherman behind. And six pounds of food does not sound like too much for four days, depending on how tough those days are.

garlic08, thanks for the reply and you make a lot of sense.

The only piece of gear in the pic that I have used extensively is the water filter. All of the other gear is brand new replacing my car camping gear. So far the filter has been bullet proof, but sure as I'm posting this reply, it will crap out when I need it most. Just ordered a 24 pack of aquamira tabs from campsaver. Definitely a good back up plan if needed.

You have scared me as far as my sleeping pad purchase as well. I will give it a test drive, but a closed cell mat does seem to make a lot of sense. Probably not as comfortable though and as far as I can tell, will be needed to carry outside the pack. No big deal and thanks for the input there.

Stove wise... those alcohol burners are really cool and light weight. I'll probably try to make one or two. (several how-to videos) on youtube although I'm seriously looking at mini bull designs for one that I'd trust in the field.

Thanks again for the reply, and trust me that your advice has been well received.

Greg

gregp
06-08-2009, 19:58
One more question...

Is para chord the right line for bear bags? My reason for asking this is ... It seems rather flimsy as far as abrasions go, and pulling it up and over tree branches has me questioning it's ability to keep my pack safe.

kayak karl
06-08-2009, 20:18
One more question...

Is para chord the right line for bear bags? My reason for asking this is ... It seems rather flimsy as far as abrasions go, and pulling it up and over tree branches has me questioning it's ability to keep my pack safe.
i use a hook. i stole this idea from somewhere. its a 5" pc of 3/4" cpvc on a cut off aps 2" pipehanger. i put my pole in it and i can reach a 11.5 ft high branch. pull my pole out and retrieve same way in morn. i got tired of throwing rocks and sting in the dark.
weight 2 oz w/caribiner

Foyt20
06-08-2009, 20:18
Dont hang your pack, hang your food. Way easier, and nicer on the equipment.

gregp
06-08-2009, 20:27
i use a hook. i stole this idea from somewhere. its a 5" pc of 3/4" cpvc on a cut off aps 2" pipehanger. i put my pole in it and i can reach a 11.5 ft high branch. pull my pole out and retrieve same way in morn. i got tired of throwing rocks and sting in the dark.
weight 2 oz w/caribiner

Karl, I'm not really following you here bro. Are you carrying around a 3 foot piece of pvc pipe?

garlic08
06-08-2009, 20:28
One more question...

50' of paracord is all I've ever used. It doesn't seem to abrade, or harm the tree, from what I've seen. 50' is more than you need to hang well, but it's a good thing to have extra for replacing guy lines, fixing pack straps, etc.

gregp
06-08-2009, 20:30
Dont hang your pack, hang your food. Way easier, and nicer on the equipment.

My concern was that the food smell would get all over the pack.

Hanging the food and other smellables sounds a whole lot easier.

gregp
06-08-2009, 20:35
50' of paracord is all I've ever used. It doesn't seem to abrade, or harm the tree, from what I've seen. 50' is more than you need to hang well, but it's a good thing to have extra for replacing guy lines, fixing pack straps, etc.

Thanks man. That's pretty much what I needed to know.

I actually bought a hundred feet of the stuff and cut it in half for the trip. As light as it is, I may take the other fifty feet just for back up.

garlic08
06-08-2009, 20:36
You have scared me as far as my sleeping pad purchase as well. I will give it a test drive, but a closed cell mat does seem to make a lot of sense. Probably not as comfortable though and as far as I can tell, will be needed to carry outside the pack. No big deal and thanks for the input there.

Didn't mean to scare you about the pad--just a worst-case scenario that has happened to me. On the AT, most inflatable pads last the trail with minimal care and protection, and they are far more comfortable. Most AT hikers wouldn't hike without an inflatable pad, especially those who sleep on the plank floors in shelters and huts.

But personally I agree with Mags--I don't go into the backcountry with equipment for which a repair kit is sold.

gregp
06-08-2009, 20:43
But personally I agree with Mags--I don't go into the backcountry with equipment for which a repair kit is sold.

And that makes a heck of a lot of sense.

For now, I'm going to give that pad a go and see how it works out. If it pops, I guess I'll be sleeping on the ground. Done it before, but never for long term. I get the feeling I'll be buying a closed cell pad before long.:o

I really appreciate your input bro.

kayak karl
06-08-2009, 20:49
Karl, I'm not really following you here bro. Are you carrying around a 3 foot piece of pvc pipe?
LOL no,i put it on the end of my hiking pole

MintakaCat
06-08-2009, 20:54

I got to admit I too was lost on your idea, but now I see what your doing.:D

That is very clever.

le loupe
06-08-2009, 20:59
where are you going that you need a 20* bag? Its summer

or maybe you don't want to invest in another sleeping bag but you could save significant weight here. a 40* down bag will be under a pound, even a synthetic would be under 1 1/2 pounds

I did a 4 day section in NJ/NY at the beginning of april and was a little warm in a 40* bag.

gregp
06-08-2009, 21:04

Karl, I'm at a loss here. Maybe post a pic?

Hanging a bag is a big priority on my list and doing it easier sounds great. I'm very interested in your technique.

gregp
06-08-2009, 21:12
where are you going that you need a 20* bag? Its summer

or maybe you don't want to invest in another sleeping bag but you could save significant weight here. a 40* down bag will be under a pound, even a synthetic would be under 1 1/2 pounds

I did a 4 day section in NJ/NY at the beginning of april and was a little warm in a 40* bag.

I've given a lighter bag a lot of thought. However, my money supply has limitations. I have kicked around losing the bag and taking a minimal blanket.

Lots of variables will be decided after I get a good current forecast for the area. Cloths, bag or not, and food.

I'm going to make sure that I'm over prepared, but not so much that I can't move at a good pace.

Dogwood
06-08-2009, 21:41
It's wise to solicit advice from more seasoned backpackers to save some wt. and bulk. Be open to new ideas, gear, and approaches, but you will figure out a lot as you go along so don't get too stressed or let anyone stress you. Go hike, always remember to have fun, contribute where and when you can, and be apprecative of your opportunity to escape the rat race.

Mags
06-09-2009, 02:47

Another chestnut I like to say:

If you can't duct it, f*** it. :D

Mags
06-09-2009, 02:49
i use a hook. i stole this idea from somewhere

Pretty slick!

buz
06-09-2009, 08:38
You didn't really say if you wanted to spend some money vs. weight reduction right now, but the biggest place you could look at for weight reduction is your tent. Tarptent.com, sixmoons design, or tarps and bug netting could easily shave over 2.5 pounds off. But that requires and investment of $.

gregp
06-09-2009, 20:38
Karl, I must admit being under the influence of a few cocktails last night and overlooked the pics that you posted. That is a great idea and am now figuring out how this could work for me. I'm thinking a caribiner with a hook. Should fit practically anything you'd wish to hang.

Great advice and thanks.

gregp
06-09-2009, 20:43
You didn't really say if you wanted to spend some money vs. weight reduction right now, but the biggest place you could look at for weight reduction is your tent. Tarptent.com, sixmoons design, or tarps and bug netting could easily shave over 2.5 pounds off. But that requires and investment of $.

Yeah, Big agneas recommends using the tarp and footprint for half the weight. I recon I could just buy a bug shelter and save a pound or could ditch the whole thing and start over. I really like the sixmoons shelters other than the fact that I have to seam seal them myself. I'm lazy in that sort of way.

mister krabs
06-10-2009, 17:45
a very useful idea that I read on here and have put to use is to use your water bottle as your weight for tossing your hang line. I use a slipknot to tie it around the neck, then toss it over. If your line is thin enough, you can even just take the cap off and screw it on with an inch of cord inside. The water bottle is a good weight for throwing and being smooth and tubular, doesn't get hung up very easily. It's never taken me more than 3 tosses, usually get it on the first try. Also, throw your line as the first thing you do after you take off your pack at camp, that way it's usually still light out and you're less likely to be too tired to mess with it.

Foyt20
06-10-2009, 18:08
My concern was that the food smell would get all over the pack.

Hanging the food and other smellables sounds a whole lot easier.

Unless you are carrying your gorp in the bottom of the pack (which happens if you get cheap bags :D) there should not be much transfer of smells to the pack itself. Most people keep their packs in their tents or under their vestibules. Should make life easier for you :D

Have fun!!!

Foyt20
06-10-2009, 18:12
Yeah, Big agneas recommends using the tarp and footprint for half the weight. I recon I could just buy a bug shelter and save a pound or could ditch the whole thing and start over. I really like the sixmoons shelters other than the fact that I have to seam seal them myself. I'm lazy in that sort of way.

and btw, its not that difficult to seam seal a tent, just some silicone and some thinner. Takes about 15 minutes if you are really careful, and then some time to dry.

Dont let that scare you away from a good product ;).

gregp
06-10-2009, 20:12
a very useful idea that I read on here and have put to use is to use your water bottle as your weight for tossing your hang line. I use a slipknot to tie it around the neck, then toss it over. If your line is thin enough, you can even just take the cap off and screw it on with an inch of cord inside. The water bottle is a good weight for throwing and being smooth and tubular, doesn't get hung up very easily. It's never taken me more than 3 tosses, usually get it on the first try. Also, throw your line as the first thing you do after you take off your pack at camp, that way it's usually still light out and you're less likely to be too tired to mess with it.

This is great advice and thanks. I've been kicking around how to tie a rock to my para chord. The water bottle makes much more sense. :)

gregp
06-10-2009, 20:19
Unless you are carrying your gorp in the bottom of the pack (which happens if you get cheap bags :D) there should not be much transfer of smells to the pack itself. Most people keep their packs in their tents or under their vestibules. Should make life easier for you :D

Have fun!!!

Thanks for the info bro. Being a total novice here, I had no idea how smells worked. I figured that once a stuff sack full of food was in my pack, the entire pack would reek of said food. At least to bears anyway.

I purchased a seal-a-meal for the gorp. Nice little 800 calorie lunches all shrunk wrapped and packable.:D

Thanks for the input and great advice. Stringing up the entire pack seemed logical to me but it's good to know I don't have to.

gregp
06-10-2009, 20:25
and btw, its not that difficult to seam seal a tent, just some silicone and some thinner. Takes about 15 minutes if you are really careful, and then some time to dry.

Dont let that scare you away from a good product ;).

I realize my laziness, and you don't need to call me out on it! :D

In all seriousness, I'll probably take the Agneas out and give it a test drive as well as all the other gear. I can however see a future purchase of a lighter shelter as well as my stove in the future. I promise not to let seam sealing deter me in said purchase.

I really appreciate the advice bro.