PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone pushed the button on Spot for help?

Wise Old Owl
06-07-2009, 00:12
Hey its been out there for a year or two it is about time to see if anyone has used it and what the result was.
and then I have found this,,,,,

Has anyone seen this commercial on the Discovery Channel yet?

It is a comical cartoon....but extremely true.

http://www.acrelectronics.com/08sumcom/08ACRcom.mpg (http://www.acrelectronics.com/08sumcom/08ACRcom.mpg)

http://www.rei.com/product/751974

Please weigh in with your thoughts ....

napster
06-07-2009, 00:20
Seems like it would be a good Christmas present for the crews Deadliest Catch.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-07-2009, 00:35
pretty cool, but dizamn 600 buckaroos. I know you can't put a price on safety, but still lol

Dogwood
06-07-2009, 01:10
Witnessed a Colorado Trl. thru-hiker with the trail name Spot(no I didn't make that up) push the button and a space ship came from out of the clouds and picked him up(I made up the last part). Last I heard he was wisked off to an all U can eat Chinese food buffet in Leadville CO.

Mags
06-07-2009, 01:53
Witnessed a Colorado Trl. thru-hiker with the trail name Spot(no I didn't make that up) push the button and a space ship came from out of the clouds and picked him up(I made up the last part). Last I heard he was wisked off to an all U can eat Chinese food buffet in Leadville CO.

He is a CEO who has been doing many local CT slideshows.

Fear sells.

JokerJersey
06-07-2009, 08:00
I don't think I'd get it for myself, but I'd probably recommend it for my parents who are avid boaters. I've seen ads for ones like this though that were about 1/2 of the price. Seems a bit steep.

MintakaCat
06-07-2009, 08:17
One positive aspect of the ACR device over the spot device is that it does not require that you purchase some kind of subscription service.

As for me, I'll stick with my little 7 oz Amateur Radio portable that I got for $165. It won't work everywhere like the ACR, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Wise Old Owl
06-07-2009, 09:20
One positive aspect of the ACR device over the spot device is that it does not require that you purchase some kind of subscription service.

As for me, I'll stick with my little 7 oz Amateur Radio portable that I got for $165. It won't work everywhere like the ACR, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Hey that is really hit or miss and you have to know where all the repeaters are... a little risky. There are times when folk arn't even monitoring the repeater.

MintakaCat
06-07-2009, 09:34
Hey that is really hit or miss and you have to know where all the repeaters are... a little risky. There are times when folk arn't even monitoring the repeater.

I agree, you are 100% correct. However, just being out there is a little risky. I don't think you can eliminate all the risk in backpacking. You have to make a judgement call on what level of risk you can live with. The radio is just my call, for you it would be different.

Most of the time I know the areas I'm going to and the repeaters in the area, and I know some people on those repeaters. I also have some amateur radio friends that I ask to monitor a repeater from time to time while I'm hiking an area. After being in the hobby (amateur radio) for over thirty years I know some tricks that make me feel comfortable with my choice.

As the old saying goes, there's different ways to skin a cat. I think the ACR would be a good choice for you but thats just a guess.

Wise Old Owl
06-07-2009, 14:11
No the acr is out of my price range.... I am lucky enough to have $200 for a down sleeping bag right now. I am on the down low of UL hiking on the cheap side!

Dogwood
06-07-2009, 19:21
Yeah, Mags last time I saw him he was doing a presentation at the Denver REI. Seems like a nice guy.

Wise Old Owl
06-09-2009, 20:06
Ok so nobody has pushed the button?

Foyt20
06-09-2009, 20:20
I guess not.

kayak karl
06-09-2009, 20:24
I guess not.
ive pushed the HELP button a few times, but not the 911. learn about the gear before you start a thread.:D

kayak karl
06-09-2009, 20:43
ive pushed the HELP button a few times, but not the 911. learn about the gear before you start a thread.:D
this was posted to wise old owl not where it fell

Foyt20
06-09-2009, 22:04
Hahaha no problem Karl :D

Mags
06-09-2009, 23:27
From the PCT list..this woman pushed the button:
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?entry_id=8688
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=6d2f7b9d6945ca8258cefe5de1938b 70&entry_id=8666

She ran into some issues in the Sierra and used SPOT.

dla
06-10-2009, 13:07
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=6d2f7b9d6945ca8258cefe5de1938b 70&entry_id=8666

I appreciate her posting for two reasons:

(1) she was unprepared and panicked.
(2) SAR didn't get her

I've been in those situations where panic wants to get ahold of me, and strip me of reason. No fun. I can't say enough about being prepared.

But what I found most interesting is the SAR efforts. Good people making a good attempt at finding her. But she is moving. And loved ones are having a tough time communicating coordinates. She wants to cancel the 911 but isn't sure how. This is very telling about using SPOT: yes, it gives unprecedented communication ability. No, it isn't foolproof. SPOT worked just fine, but she and her loved ones needed to work out ahead of time what the various messages mean.

I don't know what the folks involved in the SAR think of her and SPOT. I can guess that it was a mixture of disgust and relief. Disgust because it wasn't a 911 event. Relief because she was OK.

As embarrassing as her story must be to her, I think it should be read by everyone.

Ratchet-SectionHiker
06-10-2009, 14:34
We received a spot at Christmas time and really like it. It weighs 7 oz so it is a little heavy but worth the updates it sends to your family. It keeps my mother in law from going crazy as well! We try to use the 'Track' feature as much as possible even though it doesn't work as well as it should. It is supposed to send an update every 20 minutes but in an 8-10hr day hike I am lucky to get 4-6 track messages sent to the computer. The share pages are really nice especially when we take new people hiking we can pull it up on Google Earth later at home and show them exactly where they were hiking. It also has an altitude graph on the webpage to show some more useful information. We also use the 'OK' button to mark our shuttle vehicles so in case we do have to go to the hospital or somewhere, my father can find our vehicles before they are towed or vandalized. We have not needed to hit the help or the 911 button yet but it is nice to know they are there.

man2th
06-10-2009, 15:58
[quote=Ratchet-SectionHiker;851867]

It keeps my mother in law from going crazy

in that case i'll take 2 please

wrongway_08
06-10-2009, 16:15
pretty cool, but dizamn 600 buckaroos. I know you can't put a price on safety, but still lol

I can and $600.00 bucks is waaay pass that price.

kayak karl
06-10-2009, 20:10
the HELP button is a privaye button. you can use it to contact anyone you choose for any reason. you can press it to have someone pick u up at end of trip. pick u up if you decide not to finish hike or blown off course is kayak trip. or even if you are in no condition to kayak out of the "Up the Creek Bar" :D

saimyoji
06-10-2009, 20:48

she also says in her first entry she'd be willing to trade sex for chocolate if you need some....:D

DAJA
06-10-2009, 22:04
she also says in her first entry she'd be willing to trade sex for chocolate if you need some....:D

Her story also should give a moment of caution to those of you on this board that push the UL movement on newcomers to hiking, or those with limited experience. Many of you who prefer the UL experience began heavier and developed your skills and knowledge as you shed weight... But starting out UL without previous experience can be seriously dangerous... This girl nearly learned the hard way, and was quick to seek out a pair of stout footwear and a tent at her first opportunity...

People in time will learn their comfort level and find a weight they are happy with... Some will want all the comforts and be content carrying 50lbs, some will peal that down and be pleased with 35lbs, others won't be happy until they are under 10lbs... UL, lightweight or heavy is a preference, not a right or wrong method, but everyone needs to start with the a heavier load to learn what they can comfortably and safely do without...

kolokolo
06-10-2009, 22:14
People in time will learn their comfort level and find a weight they are happy with... Some will want all the comforts and be content carrying 50lbs, some will peal that down and be pleased with 35lbs, others won't be happy until they are under 10lbs... UL, lightweight or heavy is a preference, not a right or wrong method, but everyone needs to start with the a heavier load to learn what they can comfortably and safely do without...

That is well put. It takes experience to know what you can safely do without.

Tin Man
06-10-2009, 22:15
in my experience, people who rely on electronics are at a disadvantage when the technology fails ... or the batteries drain. nothing substitutes for a good map, knowledge to use the map, the 10 essentials, and simple common sense.

Mags
06-11-2009, 00:54
But starting out UL without previous experience can be seriously dangerous...

While I agree with this statement (10 lbs or less is not for beginners..I say this as a guy below that range), I do not think a person has to start seriously heavy. Too much weight is just as bad..if not as dangerous in terms of causing injury.

The average person with little-moderate experience can safely get 15-20 lbs BPW with little reduction in safety or comfort.

A buddy of mine, who is NOT an ld hiker, was quite happy with his new lighter weight gear in the 17 lb BPW range. A real tent, a canister stove, a light weight (relative) therma-rest, full rain gear and a Primaloft jacket.

Nothing radical. Just lighter gear that makes him equally comfortable in camp and while hiking. He is a good baseline average backpacker. No more than 10 MPD and likes his time in camp. He is 46 yrs old as well.

Finally, I hate to be a Monday morning quarter back, but I think it was the person's inexperience NOT THE GEAR that got the person in trouble.

Experience is the hardest "gear" to acquire. Ultimately it is also the most effective.

DAJA
06-11-2009, 07:58
While I agree with this statement (10 lbs or less is not for beginners..I say this as a guy below that range), I do not think a person has to start seriously heavy. Too much weight is just as bad..if not as dangerous in terms of causing injury.

The average person with little-moderate experience can safely get 15-20 lbs BPW with little reduction in safety or comfort.

A buddy of mine, who is NOT an ld hiker, was quite happy with his new lighter weight gear in the 17 lb BPW range. A real tent, a canister stove, a light weight (relative) therma-rest, full rain gear and a Primaloft jacket.

Nothing radical. Just lighter gear that makes him equally comfortable in camp and while hiking. He is a good baseline average backpacker. No more than 10 MPD and likes his time in camp. He is 46 yrs old as well.

Finally, I hate to be a Monday morning quarter back, but I think it was the person's inexperience NOT THE GEAR that got the person in trouble.

Experience is the hardest "gear" to acquire. Ultimately it is also the most effective.

I never suggested everyone should start out "seriously heavy" (whatever that is) either. Nor did I blame the gear for her misfortune. I blame her lack of experience using light weight gear. Generally, especially with shelter's, light weight gear requires practice and knowledge that you can only gain through experience. Choosing the proper sight to set up, knowing your knots and various configurations depending on wind direction and type of percipitation, etc. Nearly anyone can set up your standard tent, but it does require some practice and knowledge to properly set up a tarp, or tarptent, etc.

Again following the lightweight mantra, she only had a single lighter with her, no backup.... Improper, light weight footwear.

We hear this UL or at least light weight advise being pushed on newcomers daily on WB. It's dangerous. Let people learn where we all learned from; buying standard average gear and getting out there using it. In time you will find your comfort zone... And everyone needs that time to develop the skills to thrive with less.

Snowleopard
06-11-2009, 20:27
Lack of experience and knowledge were her problems:
She didn't know enough about hypothermia, which led to loss of manual dexterity.
Not experience setting up her tarp, combined with loss of dexterity from moderate hypothermia.
Not being able to light her alcohol stove -- inexperience, or too cold for the stove or lighter.
Only a single lighter, no backup (some butane lighters don't work well in cold).

I worry about even some of the heavy thru-hikers in the White Mountains in a cold rain or wet snow with 60+ mph winds above treeline. It's really easy to get into trouble when you don't understand the conditions you may face. There is one trail journal I've read where there were 20 hypothermic hikers in the Mt. Wash Observatory.

freakflyer9999
06-11-2009, 22:05
I started a thread on the Spot several months ago. A couple of folks responded that they had pushed the button. One woman had used hers on multiple occasions. I believe that she gave me details in a PM, but the incident I recall was a hiking partner fell and busted bones. She pushed the button and had help there in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm planning on renting one next month for some solo hiking in the backcountry of Southwestern Colorado (Weminuche Wilderness). I'll post a review when I get back. Hopefully I won't have to review pushing the button though.

Mags
06-12-2009, 00:06
I Let people learn where we all learned from; buying standard average gear and getting out there using it.

What is standard average gear?

What exactly is the weight of the "heavier load" you specifically espoused?

Wise Old Owl
06-12-2009, 00:07
Thanks Mags! great story.