PDA

View Full Version : More feet topics! Pinched toes

watchingtrainsgoby
06-07-2009, 10:26
Ok so I know that the forums are loaded up with foot questions and advice but I'm still struggling with the same foot problems. I wait till the end of the day and wear the socks I would be wearing with them when trying boots on. The socks I wear are cool max liners and smartwools. I have wide feet, but the width is the biggest problem in the toes. I was wearing a pair of REI Monarch IV GTX's in a few sizes too big. They were working for a while for certain things. I had them for close to a year. They started to really make me obvious of how big they were because they were laced as tight as they could go and that was causing a big bubble at the top of the toes. It was weird and not what I needed. My pinky toes would occasionally be stepped on by the toe next to it causing it to pinch the bottom of my pinky toe into a ridge. Painfull blisters are the only result of this pinching. I replaced that boot with the Vasque Wasatch GTX's at REI's footware employee's recommendation. It didn't take long at all before this boot caused pinching in my pinky. Really aweful blisters. So Yesterday I returned them more dedicated to find the "right" boot. I tried on the Keen Targhee II which had a nice toe box but they didn't seem like they would last long, poor construction in my opinion. I then tried the Merrell Outland's and the 9.5 was too small 10 was ok but there was extra fabric in the toe that would fold and pop when I stepped which didn't seem right. I ended up leaving the store wearing the Lowa Renegade GTX's. I walked around the rest of my shopping trip in them and they seemed hopeful. I wore them the rest of the evening and they were pretty comfortable. But then the toe scrunching and stepping and pinching started again. This morning I noticed it too. My toes are kind of against the toe box but I believe a bigger size would have caused heel slippage. Plus only the pinky and toe next to it are touching all the other toes have plenty of room. Most hiking boots go into a point and my feet don't. The only boot I've found with a flat toe box like that is the Keen, which seemed like it was poorly constructed or designed to be replaced over and over. Right now Im wearing the Lowa's. They aren't hurting but I can feel those toes touching and I don't know if its a break in thing or what. I'm kind of worried that I won't be able to find a boot that will work for me. My thru is planned for 2011 and its closing in fast. Im getting anxiety that I won't find anything that will work for me by then. Im kind of not sure what to do. Ive returned 2 pairs of boots to REI in the past 2 months. At this rate Ill be in a new pair each month with the same problem. Any thoughts?

garlic08
06-07-2009, 11:27
Have you considered a light-weight trail running shoe, instead of the heavier, sturdier walking shoe or boot? New Balance sells theirs in three different widths, D, EE, and EEEE. That was critical for me when I started hiking. It took me five pairs and nearly 2000 miles before I got it right, so patience is sometimes needed. I now use the 812 model. They are very light and too flimsy for some, though.

Many successful thru hikers, if not most, use running shoes.

Best of luck.

watchingtrainsgoby
06-07-2009, 11:53
Have you considered a light-weight trail running shoe, instead of the heavier, sturdier walking shoe or boot? New Balance sells theirs in three different widths, D, EE, and EEEE. That was critical for me when I started hiking. It took me five pairs and nearly 2000 miles before I got it right, so patience is sometimes needed. I now use the 812 model. They are very light and too flimsy for some, though.

Many successful thru hikers, if not most, use running shoes.

Best of luck.

I have been thinking about giving trail runners a try. Its funny that you mention New Balance because on the way to REI my girlfriend goes "Hey a New Balance store. Weren't you talking about them?" Its prolly a sign I should go in there and see what is what. I would be a good idea to try all my options to see what would be the best one for me. This seems to be a reoccuring recommendation. Trail runners - especially New Balance for wide feet. Would many of you agree? How about protection from rocks in trail runners in places such as PA where I hear that the rocks there are crazy? Many a stubbed toe in trail runners?

garlic08
06-07-2009, 12:51
... How about protection from rocks in trail runners in places such as PA where I hear that the rocks there are crazy? Many a stubbed toe in trail runners?

Trail runners have adequate protection on the toes. You will need to pay more attention to foot placement in rocky terrain. By the time you get to the rockier terrain on the AT, you'll know how to handle it, and whether or not trail runners are overall good footwear for you. Experience counts for much more than the gear.

watchingtrainsgoby
06-07-2009, 12:52
Experience counts for much more than the gear.

Isn't that the truth!

shelterbuilder
06-07-2009, 18:52
...How about protection from rocks in trail runners in places such as PA where I hear that the rocks there are crazy? Many a stubbed toe in trail runners?

As a life-long Pennsylvanian, I've gotta say that stubbing your toes on our rocks isn't really a big problem if you pick up your feet. What the Pa. rocks WILL do is aim for the soles of your feet with their points UP, and when you're hopping from rock to rock for miles, THAT'S what wears you down.

Dogwood
06-07-2009, 20:14
Keep at it. You are not the only one who has to try on and tweak your hiking shoes before your dogs are happy. I tell people that I spend more time researching, trying on, and tweaking hiking shoes than any other piece of gear in my hiking kit. Take the time to get this all important piece of gear right. If you don't it doesn't matter what the specifics of your shelter, sleeping bag, pack, cook system, wt. carried, etc are you are not going to be a happy hiker if your feet aren't happy.

You may also consider tweaking the inside volume of your hiking shoes by trying a larger size shoe(longer shoe) and then making up the additional volume with different socks and orthotics.

I have EEEE wide feet across the toe box, my second and third toes are longer than my big toe, high arches, high instep, high volume feet with a neutral to slight under pronation. The Keene Targhee II lowcuts with green Superfeet in size 14 are right for my feet carrying a sub 25 lb kit on wet or snow laden established trails and while bushwacking over the same rocky terrain. If you don't need or want WP shoes the Keen Voyaguers are comprable, but IMO a bit more durable as they don't have exposed easily abraded stitching on the tongues as the Targhees. And, don't count out trail runners if you are hauling a lighter load(under 35 lbs), have strengthened your legs and ankles, and are mainly on established treads like the AT. Also, be mindful of how some shoe companies tend to make their shoes and the specifics of various models and what type of feet they are designed for. For example, some shoe companies design shoes with a sharply tapering(narrow) toe box that results in crowded or pinched toes when you have wide feet even if you go up a size.

Happy shoe hunting.

hoz
06-07-2009, 20:37
If you're still interested in boots I love my Italian made Alico Tahoes. It has a box toe.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,63669_Alico-Tahoe-Hiking-Boots-For-Men.html

FishBone
06-08-2009, 08:58
I have similar problems to yours: wide feet, overlapping toes.

My solutions (YMMV): Ingingi toe sock liners (brown), thicker outer socks to match the volume needs of particular shoes, Smartfeet green orthotics, New Balance MT 909's (since they don't make Dunham Waffle Stompers anymore), and different lacing patterns for each foot (eliminating putting laces through one or two rows of eyelets near the toe box based on specific foot /little toe "pinch" to allow the toes to spread).

For longer section hikes I also pre-treat my feet with alcohol wipes every night for a month to toughen up the skin, replacing the alcohol with Hydropel treatment for the 3 days prior to the hike to repel foot moisture which contributes to blisters, and pre-taping known blister spots prior to hiking.

It took me a couple of years of section hikes to develop this protocol, but I just got back from 130+ miles in TN/VA with only two small blisters, easily treated with some additional tape. Good luck with your particular solution.

watchingtrainsgoby
06-08-2009, 11:17
Thanks everyone for your insight. It appears I have a lot more options than I was leading myself to think. Im a lot more relaxed about it now. As I mentioned I have that New Balance store in the area. I will go and check out what they've got. I might also go talk to a foot doctor to get some professional advice. Thanks again everyone.

snowhoe
06-08-2009, 11:25
Dont give up on the boots so easy. Have you went to a true hiking store? Not a big all things outdoor store a hiking and backpacking store and had boots fitted for you? I think that you would be surprised at how much differnt boots feel when they are fit for you and your foot size and what you will be using them for.

RWK
06-08-2009, 11:29
New Balance 909's have worked for me.

watchingtrainsgoby
06-18-2009, 13:27
I have found some relief! You folks who suggested New Balance trail runners were a big help. I went by and got myself a pair of them in EEEE. I took them out for a 30 mile shakedown a couple of days ago and they are a big difference. Thanks a lot to all who chimed in!

man2th
06-18-2009, 14:06
you could try wetting your boots and wearing them around the house till they dry, the leather should stretch out and help them form fit to your feet.