PDA

View Full Version : AT news?

pvtmorriscsa
06-28-2004, 16:35
Howdy All,
I just got a call from my mother. She said that she heard on the news that part of the AT in vermont was closed today. According to her the news said a hiker had been killed or injured, which caused the closing of a section of the trail.
I have tried to verify what she told me, but I could not find anything about it. Is there any truth to this? Just wondering if anyone else had heard anything about it.

Lone Wolf
06-28-2004, 16:40
She may mean Maine where a section of trail not on the AT, is closed because of a death on Saturday. At Baxter.

Jaybird
06-28-2004, 16:47
Howdy All,
I just got a call from my mother. She said that she heard on the news that part of the AT in vermont was closed today. According to her the news said a hiker had been killed or injured, which caused the closing of a section of the trail.
I have tried to verify what she told me, but I could not find anything about it. Is there any truth to this? Just wondering if anyone else had heard anything about it.

pvtmorriscsa

i did a quick-search on YAHOO & only got these results (concerning hikers):

News View Results By Relevance Search Engine

Search Engine ABCNEWS: Results 1-10 of 9,479 for "Vermont hiker killed" See more results like this...

ABC News Homepage: Online news, breaking news, feature stories and more
Visit ABC News for online news with up-to-the-minute news, breaking news, video and feature stories anytime. ABCNEWS.com provides headline news for local news, US news, world news, business ...
Mon Jun 28 20:03:32 PDT 2004

ABCNEWS.com : Woman Dies As Winds Hit Vermont Wedding
Woman Dies As Winds Hit Vermont Wedding
Mon Jun 28 19:27:57 PDT 2004

ABCNEWS.com : Man Killed in Maine Rock Slide
Man Killed in Maine Rock Slide
Mon Jun 28 18:04:14 PDT 2004

ABCNEWS.com : Hiker Breaks Record for Trail in Vermont
Hiker Breaks Record for Trail in Vermont
Mon Jun 28 17:51:20 PDT 2004

ABCNEWS.com : Maine Rock Slide Kills 1, Wounds Another
Maine Rock Slide Kills 1, Wounds Another
Mon Jun 28 02:33:55 PDT 2004

ABCNEWS.com : Mountain Lion Attacks Calif. Hiker
Mountain Lion Attacks Calif. Hiker
Sun Jun 27 21:44:23 PDT 2004

...i'm with L.W. , maybe your Mom heard hiker & killed & associated it with Vermont for some reason....but there was a death on Katahdin this past weekend & a small portion of Baxter State Park was closed for a time while the investigation is wrapped up.

(ck. out this forum: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5100 )

Hope this helps.

pvtmorriscsa
06-28-2004, 16:56
Yeah. I just talked to her again, and she mentioned the rockslide in Maine. She must have just assumed that since it was in Baxter that it was on the AT. Thanks for the quick responses.

SavageLlama
06-28-2004, 18:57
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5105