PDA

View Full Version : First Bear experience

hikergirl1120
06-07-2009, 17:50
So I took my mom and her first hike this weekend. She is a runner and in extremely good physical condition so I though Greylock would be awesome for her.

So we are hiking along, chatting it up, doing the mother daughter thing when she suddenly freezes. Some LOUD rustling ahead. I was like " Holy ***** that's a bear". We just froze in our tracks and calmly walked in the other direction.

Not only was this a big a** black bear (I swear she was a 300 lbs) but mama had a little cub with her. As she was running up the mountain she stopped to look back to make sure we were leaving too. What an experience.

My mom was leading and she told me that when she first saw them she thought they were two black dogs....we were pretty shocked!

Never saw a bear so close and I can't really say that I hope to again. I mean meeting a mother bear and cub is pretty much worst case scenario in my book. She must not have heard us coming, we certainly didn't hear her.

Well anyways quite the day. My mom told me this morning that I gave her "the bug", so I guess this means I have a new hiking partner!!

I am sure glad that I had someone with me for my first encounter....

Looking back we got a pretty good look at them, really beautiful creatures, super black and shiny, more than I had expected.

Jo-To
06-07-2009, 18:09
Congrats,you made it through & enjoyed your first encounter. I remember the first bear I ever saw...similar experience,he didnt hear me,and i didnt hear him. We both ended up backing away from each other. Like you said though,they are awesome creatures.

Buzz_Lightfoot
06-07-2009, 18:18
Looking back we got a pretty good look at them, really beautiful creatures, super black and shiny, more than I had expected.

I see them all the time.. even in my yard and I have to agree with you there. It's unbelievable just how BLACK they can be and a healthy one shines like it has turtle wax. :)

BL

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-07-2009, 18:20
Congrats!!!!!! I hope to see one one day. I normally hike with others and they talk a lot, my next hike I will be alone so maybe I will get lucky

hikingshoes
06-07-2009, 19:12
Hey hikergirl1120,seen my first Bear this weekend also.I had walked right by it and a hiker told me to look back and it was coming out of the woods.I got a pic of it.Check it out of my profile.we watched it for about 15mins.
So I took my mom and her first hike this weekend. She is a runner and in extremely good physical condition so I though Greylock would be awesome for her.

So we are hiking along, chatting it up, doing the mother daughter thing when she suddenly freezes. Some LOUD rustling ahead. I was like " Holy ***** that's a bear". We just froze in our tracks and calmly walked in the other direction.

Not only was this a big a** black bear (I swear she was a 300 lbs) but mama had a little cub with her. As she was running up the mountain she stopped to look back to make sure we were leaving too. What an experience.

My mom was leading and she told me that when she first saw them she thought they were two black dogs....we were pretty shocked!

Never saw a bear so close and I can't really say that I hope to again. I mean meeting a mother bear and cub is pretty much worst case scenario in my book. She must not have heard us coming, we certainly didn't hear her.

Well anyways quite the day. My mom told me this morning that I gave her "the bug", so I guess this means I have a new hiking partner!!

I am sure glad that I had someone with me for my first encounter....

Many Walks
06-07-2009, 20:05
We hiked early in the morning and saw a lot of bears. The ones that always stood out were the healthy looking ones with the black shiny coats. A yearling in GA was one of those for our first too. It was coming down the trail toward us and we spotted each other at about 50 ft. It took off up through the timber and was absolutely beautiful glistening in the sun.

There's something exciting about being in the woods knowing you're not at the top of the food chain.

It always amazed us how different moose and bears moved through the woods. We had 6 moose sightings and learned they are so quiet for such huge animals. My wife was leading in ME when she and a mother with her calf nearly collided when they crossed the trail. Didn't hear them coming.

On the other hand, when a bear runs through timber it sounds like someone is driving a pickup truck through the forest with branches crashing everywhere.

Every critter is a sight to behold, but that first bear is pretty special!

saimyoji
06-07-2009, 20:16
Sweeeeeeeeeet. :sun

johnnybgood
06-07-2009, 20:28
In my experience I have seen more bear early in the day and usually when you least expect to.
Remember once walking slowly over a rock scramble around a large bounder and suddenly coming within twenty feet of a good sized bear. He was just as startled as I was , obviously he didn't hear me coming.

Phoenix7
06-07-2009, 20:29
Nice story. Last 2 times I saw black bear there was one chowing down on my neighbor's bird feeder and the other one I saw at night. Was going out for a smoke and there was a mid-size bear in the road about 20 ft. away. It startled me, I startled it, and we both went our own ways. On the pavement it was practically silent.

Egads
06-07-2009, 20:34
There's something exciting about being in the woods knowing you're not at the top of the food chain.

Wait, what are you getting at? Are you saying that hikers are on the menu? :eek:

Many Walks
06-07-2009, 20:38
Wait, what are you getting at? Are you saying that hikers are on the menu? :eek:
Uh, in some areas....but no worries, not in your happy place.

Alaskanhkr23
06-07-2009, 20:54
My first bear encounter was with a grizzly ,i swear to god i almost Pooped myself,running into that thing.

Many Walks
06-07-2009, 21:07
My first bear encounter was with a grizzly ,i swear to god i almost Pooped myself,running into that thing.
Now that's where you start thinking seriously about the food chain.

Safari
06-07-2009, 21:09
A grizzly?!!! Yikes!.... i take it they aren't that common on the AT then...

Lillianp
06-07-2009, 21:20
A grizzly?!!! Yikes!.... i take it they aren't that common on the AT then...

Grizzlies don't really come east, they're mostly in the northwest part of the US and Western Canada and Alaska. As far as I know, it's only black bears we have to worry about on the AT.

Kanati
06-07-2009, 21:31
Hey hikergirl1120,seen my first Bear this weekend also.I had walked right by it and a hiker told me to look back and it was coming out of the woods.I got a pic of it.Check it out of my profile.we watched it for about 15mins.

Was this a MT bear?, and did it have a cinnamon color phase like some of them do out there?

BTW, how is MT

Egads
06-07-2009, 21:33

Uh, in some areas....but no worries, not in your happy place.

What if my happy place is the Canadian Rockies?

BTW, just kidding about the surprise.

Safari
06-07-2009, 21:35
thats a relief no grizzlies... how about jabbawocky's or skunks?

hikingshoes
06-07-2009, 21:38
that pic was from the hike this weekend.GF and her sister was playing slots and i was going hiking.for as MT.waiting on the call to head out waiting on permits to start the job.cant wait to much longer i need to start to work!
Was this a MT bear?, and did it have a cinnamon color phase like some of them do out there?

BTW, how is MT

buckwheat
06-08-2009, 04:47

Two words: bear bell.

I got one of these attached to my pack. Whenever I'm in "bear country" (which I define as flat, uncongested forest), I pull it out of it's little bag. I see almost nobody else doing it, which surprises me really, especially at this time of the year when almost all black bears will be with cub.

When not in use, it goes back into its little bag, where there's a magnet which keeps it quiet when I'm out in the open or otherwise not worried too much about bear.

I have no interest in upsetting the current hegemony where the food chain is concerned. Best bear defense is to make noise so they can't help but hear you coming. :eek:

ShakeyLeggs
06-08-2009, 05:04
You know what they say about how to tell grizz scat from black bear scat don't ya?

Black bear scat has berrys and such in it.

Grizz scat has bells and smells like pepper.

When I hike with friends I don't worry about bears much. About all i worry about is if I can out run my friend hehe:D

Lone Wolf
06-08-2009, 06:00
Two words: bear bell.

I got one of these attached to my pack. Whenever I'm in "bear country" (which I define as flat, uncongested forest), I pull it out of it's little bag. I see almost nobody else doing it, which surprises me really, especially at this time of the year when almost all black bears will be with cub.

When not in use, it goes back into its little bag, where there's a magnet which keeps it quiet when I'm out in the open or otherwise not worried too much about bear.

I have no interest in upsetting the current hegemony where the food chain is concerned. Best bear defense is to make noise so they can't help but hear you coming. :eek:
there's absolutely no need for a bear bell :rolleyes:

StarLyte
06-08-2009, 07:01
...I normally hike with others and they talk a lot, my next hike I will be alone so maybe I will get lucky

Hiking alone is my preference.

hikergirl1120
06-08-2009, 07:04
I thought about a bear bell but I also thought it would become extremely annoying me and those around me....although when compared to startling a grouchy bear I guess a little jingling would be worth it.

Tin Man
06-08-2009, 07:47
I thought about a bear bell but I also thought it would become extremely annoying me and those around me....although when compared to startling a grouchy bear I guess a little jingling would be worth it.

I came across a lady on the trail in CT with a professional looking camera with all the gear AND bear bells hanging from her belt AND wrists, I kid you not. Pretty safe to assume she was not out to photograph anything on four legs. I found the quick encounter more amusing than annoying, but I felt for her hiking pal.

MintakaCat
06-08-2009, 08:00

I think the bear bell would be more than annoying, plus the bears I've seen were not grouchy but some were curious, others seemed like they were scared to death and ran away.

However, you do need to use caution. There was a person killed in the GSMNP by a black bear in May of 2000. I don't know the details of what happened and I haven't been able to get much information on the web about it. I do know that was the only case of that ever happening in the GSMNP. I don't know about the rest of the AT.

hikergirl1120
06-08-2009, 08:06
I can see how you could be attacked even if you weren't being "stupid"

I mean I was thinking about it, if that cub had been a few feet in the wrong direction mama could have been a little more aggressive or even if the cub ran the wrong way.

I guess you can take all the precautions in the world and still have a fluke issue.

Tin Man
06-08-2009, 08:07
I think the bear bell would be more than annoying, plus the bears I've seen were not grouchy but some were curious, others seemed like they were scared to death and ran away.

However, you do need to use caution. There was a person killed in the GSMNP by a black bear in May of 2000. I don't know the details of what happened and I haven't been able to get much information on the web about it. I do know that was the only case of that ever happening in the GSMNP. I don't know about the rest of the AT.

people are more of a problem than bears

Safari
06-08-2009, 08:21
Glad to hear that, i'm a bit more nervey about people in the back of beyond than the critters..

makoboy
06-08-2009, 08:37
Ive often heard Bear Bells refered to as Dinner Bells.

hikergirl1120
06-08-2009, 08:39
people are more of a problem than bears

My mom was def more freaked about running into PEOPLE than BEARS. She kept pushing me out in front every time we encountered other hikers....not as protective as a mama bear :-?

Ridge Rat
06-08-2009, 08:43
I have seen a couple mother and cubs this year in PA and NJ. They are great to see. Just remember to make noise and talk to them and they usually walk the other way. Craziest thing I have ever seen is when a bear just walked down the trail in front of me. Every now and then he would look back at me and just kept walking. It was kind of cool.

Tin Man
06-08-2009, 09:03
My mom was def more freaked about running into PEOPLE than BEARS. She kept pushing me out in front every time we encountered other hikers....not as protective as a mama bear :-?

no reason to freak out, just keep the spidey sense turned on

hikergirl1120
06-08-2009, 09:21
I just thought that "behaviour" was interesting to observe LOL

double j
06-08-2009, 09:22
fun isnt it

hikergirl1120
06-08-2009, 09:27
It's alot more fun looking back on the experience not head on into the eyes of a gigantic bear!!

Chif
06-08-2009, 09:51
My nonhiker wife gave me a bear bell for Christmas last year. I told her I couldn't figure out how to put it on the bear. My family saw several bears while hiking in SNP last year. It was great and something my daughter will never forget.

CowHead
06-08-2009, 10:07
I so jealous...Only thing I saw hiking over the weekend was one squirrel and one cat that’s it

bonnermc
06-08-2009, 10:33
My nonhiker wife gave me a bear bell for Christmas last year. I told her I couldn't figure out how to put it on the bear. My family saw several bears while hiking in SNP last year. It was great and something my daughter will never forget.

ROFL

Coming into Damascus for Trail Days this year we came across an orphaned cub that followed us to Abington shelter. It was pretty funny as he fell right in line with the group of us. It was like hiker, hiker, bear, hiker, hiker. We tried to disengage it for the longest time but it really wanted to play. Eventually we were able to get a hold of the local Animal Control, but apparently, he couldn't make it up in time. That was my first Bear encounter, and really, I wouldn't mind if it was my last.

Many Walks
06-08-2009, 10:54
Now that's funny! Most species protect their young, some eat them, but your Mom offered you up for her safety. Bet that's comforting.

hikergirl1120
06-08-2009, 11:09
Now that's funny! Most species protect their young, some eat them, but your Mom offered you up for her safety. Bet that's comforting.

Yea what a relief...I was like jeez I am so glad I had someone with me....LOL

buckwheat
06-08-2009, 11:38
there's absolutely no need for a bear bell :rolleyes:

Yes there is. A bear bell allows a bear to hear you coming so that you do not surprise it.

I'm surprised that a man of your intelligence cannot see the logic inherent therein, sir.

buckwheat
06-08-2009, 11:40

I've used it a lot, and never have had anyone complain. After a day or two, you don't even really notice it. It's not like it's a cowbell. Just a little tinkling.

It also allows other hikers to hear you coming up behind them so you're not startling them either.

Mine cost like $2. Certainly cheap enough to give it a try.

Scaring a mother bear with a cub nearby is a very good way to get killed.

Tin Man
06-08-2009, 11:49
Yes there is. A bear bell allows a bear to hear you coming so that you do not surprise it.

I'm surprised that a man of your intelligence cannot see the logic inherent therein, sir.

do you use treking poles?

Lone Wolf
06-08-2009, 11:52

a bear can hear and smell you long before you get to it. no need for stinkin' bells. i'll never understand the bear paranoia on the AT

MintakaCat
06-08-2009, 12:14
a bear can hear and smell you long before you get to it. no need for stinkin' bells. i'll never understand the bear paranoia on the AT

Could be they all saw the 1997 movie "The Edge." :D

World-Wide
06-08-2009, 12:17

I just finished reading White Blaze Fever and Mountain Slayer talks about coming across a 600 pounder in New Jersey! :eek: I kicked up a wild boar several weeks ago while hiking the Northern portion of Okinawa which got the adrenaline pumping! I'm sure a bear is going to do the same! Congrats on your encounter...and getting thru it safely!! :D

hikergirl1120
06-08-2009, 12:44
After we saw her we were clapping our hands every few minutes trying to make some noise...didn't want to startle any other wild life

buckwheat
06-08-2009, 13:00

If you are approaching downwind of a bear, there are many circumstances where it might not hear or smell you long before you get to it. As this person's experience indicates, she surprised the bear, which itself reacted with surprise precisely because it could not detect the approaching hikers.

This is common and requires little education to learn.

You are providing advice that is typically poorly thought through. Ordinarily that isn't a problem, but in this case it's dangerous.

hikergirl1120
06-08-2009, 13:17
Also there was a roaring brook close by that probably masked out sound

Lone Wolf
06-08-2009, 13:24
This is common and requires little education to learn.

You are providing advice that is typically poorly thought through. Ordinarily that isn't a problem, but in this case it's dangerous.

ahhh whatever :rolleyes: bells aren't needed

Many Walks
06-08-2009, 14:19
I agree with LW, bells aren't needed.

We saw lots of bears on the AT and never felt threatened although some were very close. We just parted company and went our separate ways.

In areas of concern there are other ways to make noise to alert critters in the brush without having a bell ringing all the time. Especially if you use hiking poles, that's generally enough noise to alert everything. If not, sing a song, talk to the trees, whatever.

On the flip side of the debate, while surprising a female with cubs is the general cause of concern, I've read accounts of incidents where a bear picked up on human presence, walked them down and attacked. Most, but not all were grizzlies, that saw humans as easy prey. It's possible a bell just might attract an old black bear looking for an easy lunch. Just saying.

We bought bells early on after reading some hype about bears on the AT, but after more consideration we left them at home and were glad we did. On the annoyance scale ringing bells would rank right up there with snoring and wet dogs in shelters.

IMO, if you hit the trail afraid of everything the hike won't be much fun.

hikingshoes
06-08-2009, 14:45
Good point there Many Walks.

Alaskanhkr23
06-08-2009, 15:06
Grizzlies aren.t to bad,as long as you respect them they don't bother you-Unless you surpise them or something like that. Black bears are more likly to attack for no reason or if there just hungry.there's more black bear attacks than brown or grizzly.The best remedie for bears is either one of these- Bear spray or a Large caliber handgun.Those bear bells just don't work and frankly are annoying,try whistling instead of it.

hikergirl1120
06-08-2009, 15:35
Grizzlies aren.t to bad,as long as you respect them they don't bother you-Unless you surpise them or something like that. Black bears are more likly to attack for no reason or if there just hungry.there's more black bear attacks than brown or grizzly.The best remedie for bears is either one of these- Bear spray or a Large caliber handgun.Those bear bells just don't work and frankly are annoying,try whistling instead of it.

not really too sure I like this approach, I think that there are always situations in which animals attack humans who are doing nothing "wrong". I really do think that in MOST situations a bear is not going to attack you on sight. I am no expert....

Alaskanhkr23
06-08-2009, 15:56
and alot of time's they don't. All im saying is black bears are more likly too,There are more reports with them than grizzlies,Black bears are cute and fluffy so people underestimate them. But with grizzlies you see it and are like HOLY COW THATS HUGE!!!! Bear spray is the best non lethal way to go. In my opinion for black bears. Now in brown/grizzly territory i've learned from people who live in those areas that you should carry some sort of handgun when hiking.

Many Walks
06-08-2009, 15:58
not really too sure I like this approach, I think that there are always situations in which animals attack humans who are doing nothing "wrong". I really do think that in MOST situations a bear is not going to attack you on sight. I am no expert....
Hikergirl, I think the bottom line is bears really aren't a concern on the AT. If you're lucky enough to see one it's most likely in a situation as you described in your opening post to this thread. Give them respect, some room, and enjoy the encounter and your hike.

Tin Man
06-08-2009, 16:00
Now in brown/grizzly territory i've learned from people who live in those areas that you should carry some sort of handgun when hiking.

make it a big handgun, otherwise you are likely to just piss them off

hikingshoes
06-08-2009, 16:04
i have to say,onces the bear seen use it turn and ran off and we didnt seen it no more.But it was Great!!!!!!!!!!

Phoenix7
06-08-2009, 18:18

Could it be there are more black bear attacks because more people live in, or enter black bear territory in a given year than brown?

Here's the Wikpedia stats on bear attacks in North America:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America_by_dec ade

Alaskanhkr23
06-08-2009, 18:47
No pheonix,Alot of people live in grizzly territory,Anywhere basically in alaska and northern canada

buckwheat
06-08-2009, 19:12
I agree with LW, bells aren't needed. We saw lots of bears on the AT and never felt threatened

The original poster never said they were hiking the Appalachian Trail when they surprised the black bear they encountered.

Lots of people post things about hiking on WhiteBlaze even though they may not necessarily be hiking on the Appalachian Trail - since the site contains forums for many other trails and wilderness areas.

What may or may not be needed on the AT isn't really the issue.

The issue is surprise encounters with black bear and ways they can be avoided. A bear bell is a commonly recommended method. One may not be "needed" but one is certainly more likely to alert bears to their presence wearing a noisemaker than not wearing a noisemaker.

Black bear experts the world over agree that surprise encounters with black bears accompanying their cubs should be avoided and are likely to lead to attack.

Making noise is routinely recommended - on, or off the AT.

Tin Man
06-08-2009, 20:00
ward off the bears, alert the 2-legged nut jobs... some trade-off :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
06-08-2009, 20:03
The original poster never said they were hiking the Appalachian Trail when they surprised the black bear they encountered.

Lots of people post things about hiking on WhiteBlaze even though they may not necessarily be hiking on the Appalachian Trail - since the site contains forums for many other trails and wilderness areas.

The issue is surprise encounters with black bear and ways they can be avoided. A bear bell is a commonly recommended method. One may not be "needed" but one is certainly more likely to alert bears to their presence wearing a noisemaker than not wearing a noisemaker.

Black bear experts the world over agree that surprise encounters with black bears accompanying their cubs should be avoided and are likely to lead to attack.

bells ain't needed ANYWHERE for black bear. experts my butt :rolleyes:

Many Walks
06-08-2009, 20:20

I saw Greylock in the original post...close enough to th AT.

By all means you're welcome to wear your bells if you like.

I believe most hikers, myself included, would rather read the terrain and take in the full experience of the hike, including bear sightings, rather than scaring everything away. Oh I'm sure some will have the little bells all over them, but again if you're afraid of everything in the woods it's not much of a hike. Just my opinion.

BTW, I have a couple of unused bells to sell you. If one is good, three just have to be better. That would really be cute.

MintakaCat
06-08-2009, 20:37
Ugh, I found the details of that person killed by a black bear in the GSMNP in 2000. Do a Google search for “Glenda Ann Bradley.” I caution you that the story is gruesome.

Alaskanhkr23
06-08-2009, 20:53
here's the best way to deal with bears- Go with someone that runs slower than you :P

Alaskanhkr23
06-08-2009, 20:54
i would hate to live or hike in Polar bear territory,i've hiked above the artic circle but never near that kinda bears

hikergirl1120
06-08-2009, 20:55
Boy is this thread getting yucky...i was just in awe of nature's power...scary but beautiful..that's all guys LOL

Alaskanhkr23
06-08-2009, 20:57
Ehh let us babble on about absolutly nothing WIll yuh = P

hikergirl1120
06-08-2009, 20:58
Ok OK sorry to interrupt you

Alaskanhkr23
06-08-2009, 20:59
LOL thank you,I have nothing else to do but bother the older guys on here. LOL j/k i think......

Hikerhead
06-08-2009, 21:19
Boy is this thread getting yucky...i was just in awe of nature's power...scary but beautiful..that's all guys LOL

Next time you start a thread also add "(you choose the name) needs not to reply". The mods will grant you your wish.

By the way, this WAS a nice thread you started. You will find in later years that you will never forget your bear encounters. I can't remember my phone number, but I can tell you where I was and who I was with with every bear I've seen....that's about 15 or so.

Tin Man
06-08-2009, 21:52
Next time you start a thread also add "(you choose the name) needs not to reply". The mods will grant you your wish.

By the way, this WAS a nice thread you started. You will find in later years that you will never forget your bear encounters. I can't remember my phone number, but I can tell you where I was and who I was with with every bear I've seen....that's about 15 or so.

braggart! um, you remember every one, but counting them is an issue, hmm? maybe you could take off your shoes? :D

sorry, just kiddin' buddy

vamelungeon
06-08-2009, 22:04
Unless you are really stealthy, a black bear knows you are approaching. If a black bear attacks you it probably associates humans with food, in which case a bell is a very poor idea. Bells are fine to prevent surprising bears, but lousy when bears think you are meat, in which case your best bet is to fight like hell. I wouldn't wear one myself because I want to see other wildlife. If I can't I might as well stay at home. I've spent my life in the woods and I'm not afraid of anything that lives there. I also carry a firearm in case of a miscalculation on my part, but mainly for humans. They have proven to be much more deadly to other humans than black bears.

Tin Man
06-08-2009, 22:15
yep, bears are opportunistic. if they think you are food, no need to tell them where you are. older bears with a taste for meat can learn that humans are easy prey.

quietly
06-09-2009, 08:58
Been hiking GSMNP for about 20 years now, heavy black bear population. Couldn't tell you how many I have seen, but I will tell you that I am dissappointed when I don't see one. Wonderful creatures. Oh and good luck sneaking up on one, believe me they can hear you and smell you.. Only exception I have ever seen to that was a few years ago, year of the bad drought up here. We came upon an adolescent, standing in the middle of the trail. Dull eyes and coat, very skinny. Moved away quickly of course, but I was amazed that we got so close to it (yes FA, I will never grow tired of reminding you about almost walking into that bear! ;) ). Durn hard to get a good pic of a bear in the back country, they are usually hauling butt away too fast for me to get my old camera on in time. As for bells, bullets and pepper spray - well maybe I carry and maybe I don't, but if I do I promise it isn't due to a fear of bears..

hikergirl1120
06-09-2009, 09:21
As for bells, bullets and pepper spray - well maybe I carry and maybe I don't, but if I do I promise it isn't due to a fear of bears..

nicely said!