PDA

View Full Version : Need a 3 day 2 night loop trail in Connecticut

Homer&Marje
06-07-2009, 19:20
We have a long weekend next week because Marje took a few vacation days. Looking for a nice loop or an out and back...maybe about 5 miles a day somewhere in Connecticut. Thanks.

Tin Man
06-07-2009, 19:40
Not strictly CT, but 3 - 4 spectacular spots along the way. May need short shuttle ride from one trail head to another. Lakeville Taxi 860-435-8000 in Salisbury, CT is reasonable. This is by far the best hiking involving CT IMO.

Day 1 - Undermountain Trail to AT over Bear Mtn to Sages Ravine Campsite (or to Paradise Lane skipping Bear Mtn. to Sages Ravine, Bear Mtn and Sages Ravine are spectacular). No fires allowed at Sages.

Day 2 - Sages Ravine Campsite to Race Brook Falls Campsite (Race Mtn ridge walk is spectacular, great place for extended lunch break). Fires allowed.

Day 3 - Race Brook Trail down past Race Brook Falls to road (the falls is spectacular, take your time and enjoy both top and bottom of falls).

Snowleopard
06-07-2009, 19:54
Tin Man has the right idea. Or start a little bit south and go over Lion's Head, or Start at Mt. Washington Road to Sages Ravine, go further north to Mt. Everett, go down the auto road to Mt. Washington State Forest, up Alander Mt., over Mt. Frissel and back to Sage's Ravine. It's where I did my first backpacking trip.
Some maps:
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mwas.htm
http://www.summitpost.org/images/original/227101.jpg

Snowleopard
06-07-2009, 19:54
Watch for rattlesnakes on Everett or Alander.

Homer&Marje
06-08-2009, 15:23
Not strictly CT, but 3 - 4 spectacular spots along the way. May need short shuttle ride from one trail head to another. Lakeville Taxi 860-435-8000 in Salisbury, CT is reasonable. This is by far the best hiking involving CT IMO.

Day 1 - Undermountain Trail to AT over Bear Mtn to Sages Ravine Campsite (or to Paradise Lane skipping Bear Mtn. to Sages Ravine, Bear Mtn and Sages Ravine are spectacular). No fires allowed at Sages.

Day 2 - Sages Ravine Campsite to Race Brook Falls Campsite (Race Mtn ridge walk is spectacular, great place for extended lunch break). Fires allowed.

Day 3 - Race Brook Trail down past Race Brook Falls to road (the falls is spectacular, take your time and enjoy both top and bottom of falls).

Where is the best place to park to accomplish this and get shuttled back to the car via taxi? And anyone got a mileage for Undermountain Trail to Sages Campsite?? Thanks

Tin Man
06-08-2009, 15:49
Where is the best place to park to accomplish this and get shuttled back to the car via taxi? And anyone got a mileage for Undermountain Trail to Sages Campsite?? Thanks

both trailheads have parking. just decide on whether you want to go nobo or sobo.

the sobo route has a shorter hike to the first campsite - about 1.5 miles.

the nobo route - undermountain trail to paradise lane to sages is quickest at about 3 miles and easier than the alrernate of going over bear mtn.

Homer&Marje
06-08-2009, 16:46
I think after looking at the map closer I am going to park at the overnight trailhead off Mount Washington Road and hike upthe bee line trail to the summit of bear mtn....link with the AT nobo to Sages for the first night.

Leave Sages and backtrack sobo on the AT to Paradise Lane trail and take a right onto Undermountain Trail coming back over to the AT and go Sobo to Brassie Brook Campsite.

Leaving there I will go Nobo on the AT up over Bear Mtn again and down the Bee line trail to the car. Thoughts? Suggestions? Water problems?

Peaks
06-08-2009, 17:34
You might consider making a loop with the AT and the Mohawk Trail, the former AT route.

Homer&Marje
06-09-2009, 05:32
I have in my 08 companion guide book that Laurel Ridge Campsite comes after Sages Ravine.....the map that was posted on this thread for me has it listed as Bear Rock Falls Campsite...near Bear Rock falls..... did they change the name?

Tin Man
06-09-2009, 06:56
They closed Bear Rock Falls campsite and opened Laurel Ridge. Apparently, the falls area underbrush was taking a beating... save a couple of plants; heck with hikers enjoying a beautiful site.

Monkeywrench
06-09-2009, 09:38
[quote=Homer&Marje;850804]I think after looking at the map closer I am going to park at the overnight trailhead off Mount Washington Road and hike upthe bee line trail to the summit of bear mtn....quote]

I haven't been on the Beeline trail in many years, but last I was there the trail was barely discernible. Does anyone know if it has since been maintained and is more obvious nowadays?

An alternative to the Beeline Trail would be to walk the old road that leads from Northwest Cabin (at Mount Washington Road) around the north side of Bear Mountain. At the intersection with the AT turn south and climb the north (steep) side of Bear Mountain to the summit.

Homer&Marje
06-09-2009, 10:00
Is Bear Mountain Road a good option on hiking in from that Trailhead on Mount washington road? Guidbook says it crosses the AT .7 miles before the summit of Bear Mountain....that's definitely an easy way in if the Bee line Trail is no longer maintained....but I would like to take that trail vs. the road if at all possible....

Chenango
06-09-2009, 11:36
[quote=Homer&Marje;850804]I think after looking at the map closer I am going to park at the overnight trailhead off Mount Washington Road and hike upthe bee line trail to the summit of bear mtn....quote]

I haven't been on the Beeline trail in many years, but last I was there the trail was barely discernible. Does anyone know if it has since been maintained and is more obvious nowadays?

An alternative to the Beeline Trail would be to walk the old road that leads from Northwest Cabin (at Mount Washington Road) around the north side of Bear Mountain. At the intersection with the AT turn south and climb the north (steep) side of Bear Mountain to the summit.

I thought you were back on the trail (congrat's grandpa). You must be well wired!!

Monkeywrench
06-09-2009, 17:03
[quote=Monkeywrench;851140]

I thought you were back on the trail (congrat's grandpa). You must be well wired!!

I just finished SNP and am taking a zero in Front Royal. Pushing on towards Harpers Ferry tomorrow.

Monkeywrench
06-09-2009, 17:06
Is Bear Mountain Road a good option on hiking in from that Trailhead on Mount washington road? Guidbook says it crosses the AT .7 miles before the summit of Bear Mountain....that's definitely an easy way in if the Bee line Trail is no longer maintained....but I would like to take that trail vs. the road if at all possible....

Bear Mpuntain Road is no longer really a road. It's a trail nowadays. The Bear Mtn Rd intersects Mount Washington Rd a bit south of the state line, which is where the trail to Northwest Cabin is, and the old road that goes around Bear Mtn to the north. Bear Mtn Rd heads south east and intersects the AT south of Bear Mountain and a bit north of where the Undermountain Trail intersects from the east.

Homer&Marje
06-09-2009, 19:09
Bear Mpuntain Road is no longer really a road. It's a trail nowadays. The Bear Mtn Rd intersects Mount Washington Rd a bit south of the state line, which is where the trail to Northwest Cabin is, and the old road that goes around Bear Mtn to the north. Bear Mtn Rd heads south east and intersects the AT south of Bear Mountain and a bit north of where the Undermountain Trail intersects from the east.

Ok...thanks...that's what I was seeing on my NG topo program.... it still has bear mountain road as a mountain rd and not a trail...but seems like it's used just as a trail....Is the trail head parking 1/4 mile north of that rd off Mount Washington Rd still a viable parking lot?

Monkeywrench
06-09-2009, 20:11
Ok...thanks...that's what I was seeing on my NG topo program.... it still has bear mountain road as a mountain rd and not a trail...but seems like it's used just as a trail....Is the trail head parking 1/4 mile north of that rd off Mount Washington Rd still a viable parking lot?

There should be room for several vehicles at the trailhead just south of the state line, which I think is the one you are referring to. There is also room for 1 or 2 vehicles at the Besar Mountain Rd.

I'm not sure if this is still true, but it used to be that if you parked off the road on the Massachusetts side of the state line, the guy who owned the property would have your car towed. It's been a few years since I've been there, but I always parked on the CT side to be safe.

Mayor
06-09-2009, 20:34
Ditto on the Mohawk trail but please read my post on deer ticks in that area

Homer&Marje
06-11-2009, 17:17
Thanks for all the info and the maps. I think I have decided that since it will be raining tomorrow that Bear Mtn. summit will be less attractive to me so we plan to hike in from the Undermountain Trailhead on Rt 41 and link up with the AT south of Bear Mtn. and continue sobo to Brassie Brook Campsite.

If the weather clears up I will probably do some additional sobo miles of the AT and return before dinner....see how the weather is...I could go up for sunset at Bear Mtn.

Saturday we plan to go over Bear Mtn early morning and reach Sages Ravine Campsite hopefully before lunch. That way we can unload and possibly spend the afternoon exploring down Sages Ravine for the afternoon. Bear Mtn sunset again?? We'll see.

Sunday we will sleep in and have a relaxing morning....maybe explore the ravine for a few more hours...then hike down Paradise Lane Trail and back to the Undermountain Trail and back to the trail head and the car.:D

Will be the perfect low mile relaxing weekend hike that I need right now....before the surgeries and a summer of hell.

Leaving in a few hours for the trailhead...will sleep there and get a real early start!!! Maybe we'll see some Connecticut WB'rs out there. I'll share the vodka:D:D

Thanks again all who helped put Connecticut 09 together.....really first I want to thank God....because without him Tin Man and Snowleapard.....Ok you caught me being facicious :rolleyes:

Tin Man
06-11-2009, 22:47
Homer, you may want to consider hanging on Race Mtn on Saturday. Sweet 1/4 mile ridge walk with unobstructed views east and views west at the peak.

Snowleopard
06-12-2009, 09:48
Also, there is 50 to 100 acres of old growth on Race and Everett mts. It's shrub sized pitch pine up to 170 years old. Have a great time! I'll probably be there in a week or two.

bco94
06-12-2009, 13:56
I own the outfitter in Kent. Had a section hiker in during the week that was actually chased by a bear out of Sages. Be careful with food! If you think you might want an alternate idea. Try:
CT 341 in Kent to Stewart Hollow campsite 6mi.
Stewart Hollow to Silver Hill 4 mi.
Silver Hill to West Cornwall Rd. 6 mi.
Dave.

Tin Man
06-12-2009, 16:22
I think our bud homer has left for the trail. I am going to drive to the trailhead lot and place a parking ticket under the wiper of all the out of state cars... just in case. :D

Homer&Marje
06-14-2009, 13:58
Just got back....will post a bit of a trip report later....got some great pics when I went up for sun rise on Bear Mtn.

Tin Man
06-14-2009, 14:41
Just got back....will post a bit of a trip report later....got some great pics when I went up for sun rise on Bear Mtn.

sun rise? what sun??

Homer&Marje
06-14-2009, 17:01
sun rise? what sun??

This one:D
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ldP-jp9aBzY/SjVbuEMAPDI/AAAAAAAABkE/N2nGzH9bOcU/s512/SDC11246.JPG

If you want to see the whole trip go to my picassa album. Don't have time to post all the pics now. Some good ones.

http://picasaweb.google.com/HomerAndMarje/Connecticut09?authkey=Gv1sRgCOv-hK7IoqjhQg#

Tin Man
06-14-2009, 22:25
you were lucky to get that much sun. there was no sun early mornings just south of there... mostly cool, damp, cloudy and we had the same heavy rain overnight.