PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Mountain Campground

jonestownpenn
06-07-2009, 21:45
Going on a SB AT, 4 day hike in late July. In planning my hike i noticed that Lewis Mountain Campground is not that much farther then Bearfence Hut, but Lewis was first come, first serve. Do you think I'll have a problem with getting a stop on a Friday night?? I'll be starting the day at Rockspring Hut, so it is a 12 mile day. What time do I need to arrive at Lewis Mountain to secure a tent space? Is it worth trying for one (versus Bearfence). Thanks!!

johnnybgood
06-07-2009, 22:09
Lewis Mtn Campground is small but doesn't fill up unless it's a holiday weekend. I was driving through there Memorial day and a few sites, maybe 3 were not occupied.
What weekend in July are you going ? If you're going the weekend of the 18th thats the free entrance to the park weekend. Didn't know if you knew.

If you don't mind small sites that are basically open view sites then by all means try to arrive there by mid afternoon.

Don H
06-07-2009, 22:52
I believe the cost of a site is $15 per night with three tents allowed per site. You'll probably see some other hikers and can ask to share a site and split the price.

Miracle Man
06-08-2009, 11:27
My experiences with Lewis Mtn. Campground is that it is the least desireable of the SNP campgrounds,( no resturaunt, resort feel) so that will increase your odds, however, end of July weekends could are a bit of a crap shoot?? I'd plan to be there at noon and call it a day. small open sites close to each other ( hopefully no generators next to you) Good Luck

Chif
06-08-2009, 11:37
There are also cabins if you decide that you want a bed instead.

spacecharge
06-08-2009, 12:05
They have one hiker cabin. Price went up this year. Other Cabins are nice with bathroom/shower. Joe and Gina run the store/reservations. Nice people.
The store stocks food and beverages.

gumball
06-08-2009, 12:24
I loved Lewis Mountain campground. Nice store, nice people manning the store, quiet setting (translate--less touristy)

sly dog
06-08-2009, 13:25
I just stayed at one of the single cabins during my section hike last week. Everything I had was wet and I was soaked from hiking in the rain for several hours. The cabins were like $90 but worth every penny when you need to dry things out. As far as camp sites go I think they were mostly empty, I think I saw 6 sites used and a lotta open sites with no campers checked in yet. True there are no restaurants but the campstore has some food like cereal, eggs, packet liptons and the such and cold beer.