PDA

View Full Version : Taking ultralight to the next level

Safari
06-08-2009, 00:46
hey,
just thinking, as my thru hike is gonna be like a 5 month or so holiday for me in the US, I could probably go the whole 'holiday' mode route and just not carry anything, that way I can take photos, be astounded by the stunning scenery, eat 'pop tarts' (whatever they are) and just generally bomb along the trail like a tourist... problem is I need a couple of people to carry my stuff...Nepalese trekking style, set up my tent and cook me breakfast & dinner, nice bowl of warm water in the morning, someone taking notes for my trail journal and a rum & coke & foot massage in the evening, thank you very much... how can i go about recruiting for this style of thu hiking? Any one gone this leisurely way before or heard of it? Bear in mind, the Aussie dollar is known as the 'Pacific Peso' and well, you guys are in the financial poo so the two balance each other out... :-?

Reid
06-08-2009, 01:00
Man o mayonaisse. I don't really know what to tell you but I'd rather just carry my own gear.

Feral Bill
06-08-2009, 01:33
It would really cost you. Americans don't work cheap, at least not hard.

Safari
06-08-2009, 01:49
yeah, i kinda figure it may the wrong country to attempt to recruit slaves for my expedition into Appalachia... plus they would have to be amusing, able to suck up and fake interest in my conversation and be prepared for days when i wished to be carried on a litter... talent in a musical instrument and massage techniques would be a must as well.

mooseboy
06-08-2009, 01:50
I have to assume you're joking. I admit I cracked a smile at your proposal, as I pictured you in jodphurs and a safari hat sipping tea on the veranda, while your "porters" unloaded your massive luxury tent. I've gotta say, I've never met a hiker with his own bearers. I don't think such hiking trips are still in vogue in the Americas (they were all the rage from Columbus up to about John Wesley Powell), but hey, for the right price I'm sure it could be done.

At first thought, this seemed like an mockable upper-class misadventure-- after all, the economy's bad here, but not THAT bad. But then I started thinking; many hikers spend a considerable amount to hike the AT. But you're offering to get paid to thru-hike the AT? Let's talk. If 2 guys each carried their own gear and 1/2 of yours, you might find takers. You'd have to arrange benefits as well-- when you take a zero day in a motel, are you covering them? Are you providing their food? Their gear? Is the foot massage mandatory? etc.

This thread may be closer to "Hiking Humor"...

Safari
06-08-2009, 02:04
yeah, just having a slow day, was trying t come up with ways to lighten the pack and that was by far the most expensive(not to say lazy)... but hey, if i went ahead and did it, imagine the controversy, the 'ultra, ultra lightweight slave driver hiker' sightings, the celebrity, the fame... as i said, it's been a slow day...

Jayboflavin04
06-08-2009, 07:56
hey,
just thinking, as my thru hike is gonna be like a 5 month or so holiday for me in the US, I could probably go the whole 'holiday' mode route and just not carry anything, that way I can take photos, be astounded by the stunning scenery, eat 'pop tarts' (whatever they are) and just generally bomb along the trail like a tourist... problem is I need a couple of people to carry my stuff...Nepalese trekking style, set up my tent and cook me breakfast & dinner, nice bowl of warm water in the morning, someone taking notes for my trail journal and a rum & coke & foot massage in the evening, thank you very much... how can i go about recruiting for this style of thu hiking? Any one gone this leisurely way before or heard of it? Bear in mind, the Aussie dollar is known as the 'Pacific Peso' and well, you guys are in the financial poo so the two balance each other out... :-?

If your payin Im Hikin!!!!

kayak karl
06-08-2009, 08:21
i'll do it.
meet you at springer. you pay in advance and off we go. ill be a little slow at first, but you just hike ahead and wait for me at hawk mt shelter.:D

greg burke
06-08-2009, 08:34
thats funny thanks for maken me laugh so early in tha morning.Greg

Engine
06-08-2009, 08:40
I'll carry your stuff for $10.00 a mile.

MyName1sMud
06-08-2009, 12:03
It would really cost you. Americans don't work cheap, at least not hard.

werd

I would recommend hiring some Mexican help. Mexicans are some of the HARDEST working people I have ever seen.

Mags
06-08-2009, 12:13
An easier idea. You only need one item, and one item only, to make an easy walk on the trail. The AT crosses enough roads where you can get a hotel room almost every night and a nice meal.

http://www.pulsecheckcpr.com/images/VisaMastercardLOGO.jpg

ENJOY!

Spogatz
06-08-2009, 12:48
What if you were to inflate bladders in your backback with helium or maybe tie weather balloons to lighten the load.....

Then you could talk like a munchin while in camp......lololololololololol

10-K
06-08-2009, 12:51
I'll carry your stuff for $10.00 a mile.

Then you'd sub it out for $5.00 and keep the difference, right?

ZeroC
06-08-2009, 17:25
Yeah i'm sure for about 20 grand you could find someone to do that.

reddenbacher
06-08-2009, 17:31
its a job.someone needs to do it.imm in i would love toooo.now we need a few more.
safari style,wall tent folding chairs,the works?

kayak karl
06-08-2009, 17:47
if i did this. could i collect unemployment when I'm done.:D

Homer&Marje
06-08-2009, 18:44
You pay for our thru hike and supplies and you've got your sherpas :D:D

YoungMoose
06-08-2009, 18:44
Whats the point of thru-hiking. The sweat and the grime and pain is part of it thats why as of this years prediction only 25-35 percent of the people finish:-? Plus i bet the people who are carrying your stuff would just walk away becuase they dont want to do it. Us americans look for easy ways out most of the time. At least i do that. Hehe i am proud of it too:banana:banana:banana

kythruhiker
06-08-2009, 18:58
I'm more than happy to Sherpa your gear, cook you meals, etc...for 5 months salary. No foot massages, you'll have to hire someone else for that.

Desert Reprobate
06-08-2009, 20:30
You could pick up a couple of porters at the Home Depot. They will carry your gear and cook your meals. You just have to get used to beans and tortillas.

Alaskanhkr23
06-08-2009, 21:03
This Is A Joke Right????

Desert Reprobate
06-08-2009, 21:14
No Joke
http://www.tastelesschoice.com/day.htm

Alaskanhkr23
06-08-2009, 21:18
Interesting to say the Least.isn't the point to backpacking is to BACKPACK!? no hire people?. This is an really lame thread im sorry.

Dr O
06-08-2009, 21:52
Interesting to say the Least.isn't the point to backpacking is to BACKPACK!? no hire people?. This is an really lame thread im sorry.

Who said anything about backpacking? he just wants to hike the trail. He's a purist :D

MyName1sMud
06-09-2009, 17:05
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

lvleph
06-09-2009, 19:14
I will do it, but I get to review your gear and you get to buy the pack that I carry, meaning you have to be ultralight to my standards. And I would do it for the cost of my thru-hike plus $5k.

Railroad King
06-14-2009, 22:18
Wow some people have a hard time sifting through what is supposed to be funny and what isn't. Hint: This is in the humor forum. And the very idea is hilarious.

Many Walks
06-14-2009, 22:38
Biscuitchonkers is taking slackpacking to a whole new level. The Circle people will be envious.

Bearpaw
06-15-2009, 14:33
Wow some people have a hard time sifting through what is supposed to be funny and what isn't. Hint: This is in the humor forum. And the very idea is hilarious.

DING ! DING! DING! We have a winner. :banana

Nean
06-15-2009, 15:11
This has been one of the best threads- EVER! :-?
THIS IS how the trail should -no SHOULD be done!:banana
You sir, should not have to deal directly with the porters.:eek: As your manager I will take care of all the, shall we say, details so you can do nothing but enjoy your day/night.:p With humble regards,:o nean

Safari
06-16-2009, 01:31
A manager! Hmmmm... liking where this idea is going! But yeah, absolutely no direct contact with the porters/ bearers, and everyone averts their eyes when i look their way.. maybe the manager can also moonlight as a 'jester' or something to amuse me when the green tunnel just gets too much?

Nean
06-16-2009, 01:45
A manager! Hmmmm... liking where this idea is going! But yeah, absolutely no direct contact with the porters/ bearers, and everyone averts their eyes when i look their way.. maybe the manager can also moonlight as a 'jester' or something to amuse me when the green tunnel just gets too much?
Even better, I'll hire Jester!!! :banana I'll call BJack to suggest some minions as well...:D The whole no direct eye contact thing is a given.;)

MedicineMan
06-16-2009, 02:00
I actually pictured (well what I would think an Aussie to look like) 50 feet away from a shelter reclining on big fluffy pillows covered in red velvet, women folk fanning him/feeding him grapes...advanced scouts already setting up the next night's stay (your porter/manager types rotate two giant luxurious canvas tents. Before you sits a treasure chest and while one hand holds a profile map of the next section your other hands wriggles through the gold coins.
No other hikers are allowed to approach you-you watch your guards keep them at bay while 2 of your legion prepare your nightly bath :)

fancyfeet
06-16-2009, 02:30
For the right price, I'll do the fanning with palm fronds or even the grapes. But no way am I helping with the bath.

(Oh, and don't call me "sugar".) :p

The Mechanical Man
06-16-2009, 02:33
It will take more than one porter to do all the work involved for a demanding Entitled thru-hiker with lots of $$$, sounds to me you need to rethink this through, as a really long section hike. Get your "Appalachian Pages" book ready, you will be needing it.

...................Unless you just want just to lie about your entire thru-hike in the end anyway, and skip some sections along the way, like taking the blue blazed Creeper trail out of Damascus instead of the white blazed AT, then go ahead and have the ba!!s to get your name in the ATC book on record as a Real 2,000 miler anyway. I have to laugh when I see the names. I know who you are........... hehehehe

If you do decide that you want to start at Delaware Water Gap Pa and Hike South to Georgia, I will help guide you for the first 50 miles, and help you get your slackpacking gear in order, and even allow you to take a free cold shower. :D

Nean
06-16-2009, 02:36
For the right price, I'll do the fanning with palm fronds or even the grapes. But no way am I helping with the bath.

(Oh, and don't call me "sugar".) :p

I'm not so sure we're looking for servants w/ attitude!:eek:
You got references?:D

fancyfeet
06-16-2009, 02:48
I'm not so sure we're looking for servants w/ attitude!:eek:
You got references?:D

Stellar. And the attitude is free. :sun

mbanja
06-16-2009, 03:23
Why stop at sherpas for your stuff? Imagine the view from atop your throne mounted on a platform with poles for the hired help to shoulder. Hiking is overrated anyway. All the walking, ugghh. You could still have the high-tech clothes, and not even get them dirty. Of course, your bearers would have to stoop through the rhodo tunnels and you might have to hold an umbrella on the balds. Ooooh, bug proof screening for the gnats and skeeters too.. And to top it off, the throne could recline and your team could simply wake you for the approved views and experiences. Technically, you could pass every white blaze, and it's not a wheeled vehicle, so claim your patch when you're done.

Homer&Marje
06-16-2009, 06:05
It will take more than one porter to do all the work involved for a demanding Entitled thru-hiker with lots of $$$, sounds to me you need to rethink this through, as a really long section hike. Get your "Appalachian Pages" book ready, you will be needing it.

...................Unless you just want just to lie about your entire thru-hike in the end anyway, and skip some sections along the way, like taking the blue blazed Creeper trail out of Damascus instead of the white blazed AT, then go ahead and have the ba!!s to get your name in the ATC book on record as a Real 2,000 miler anyway. I have to laugh when I see the names. I know who you are........... hehehehe

If you do decide that you want to start at Delaware Water Gap Pa and Hike South to Georgia, I will help guide you for the first 50 miles, and help you get your slackpacking gear in order, and even allow you to take a free cold shower. :D

99.9% of the public could care less how much blue blazing some one did.

The Mechanical Man
06-16-2009, 16:09
99.9% of the public could care less how much blue blazing some one did.

You are 100% correct about the blue blazing, I could care less about that too.

It's the LYING that concerns me. :eek:

Once a liar, always a liar,...... Does "the public" trust liars?

Homer&Marje
06-16-2009, 17:12
You are 100% correct about the blue blazing, I could care less about that too.

It's the LYING that concerns me. :eek:

I trust anyone that says they walked 2000 plus miles and wants a patch for it. If I ever get to thru hike the trail you can have my patch if it's important to you that anyone who blue blazed a trail doesn't get one.

Don't concern yourself with what others do, try that on for size...that worries me more about our society than liars do....the incessant need to give a **** about someone else and their business. Keep to yourself, run your free cold shower deal and leave people alone. People are out to hike not to please you. People that lie are lying to themselves...and if they are happy with it. GOOD.

I'll get it, and give it to you, a true hiker.

The Mechanical Man
06-16-2009, 17:23
I trust anyone that says they walked 2000 plus miles and wants a patch for it. If I ever get to thru hike the trail you can have my patch if it's important to you that anyone who blue blazed a trail doesn't get one.

Don't concern yourself with what others do, try that on for size...that worries me more about our society than liars do....the incessant need to give a **** about someone else and their business. Keep to yourself, run your free cold shower deal and leave people alone. People are out to hike not to please you. People that lie are lying to themselves...and if they are happy with it. GOOD.

I'll get it, and give it to you, a true hiker.

You want to know what I believe, you idiot?

I believe you have forgotten this is the HIKING HUMOR THREAD. :D

Homer&Marje
06-16-2009, 17:54

Now we're reducing to petty name calling? That seems childish and ignorant:rolleyes:

fancyfeet
06-16-2009, 21:00

Yeah, but that means it should be funny, no? ;)

Homer&Marje
06-17-2009, 05:30
Yeah, but that means it should be funny, no? ;)

That's why I was confused......Humor is relative though. Like I'm going to start a hiking humor thread about where not to stay on the AT. Places like..Smith Gap PA to name one off the top of my head:D

Dancing bananas make it funny:banana see?

Safari
06-17-2009, 06:53
...dancing :banana:banana:banana:banana:banana bananas...! comedy genius....

Gaiter
06-17-2009, 08:18
Now the big problem is when you get up north..... You gotta switch to union sherpas, they can get expensive

The Mechanical Man
06-17-2009, 15:44
Now the big problem is when you get up north..... You gotta switch to union sherpas, they can get expensive

That is about as funny as Andersonville Prison, and all the graves at Camp Sumpter. :banana

Jack Tarlin
06-17-2009, 16:44
Um, MM, Andersonville and "Camp Sumpter" were actually the same place; it's not like they were two different locations, though Andersonville was not the real name of the facility.

And in any case, the correct spelling of the facility was "Camp Sumter".

Nice to see you're unusually well-informed, as always. :rolleyes:

Nean
06-17-2009, 17:27
Did I mention the blues are white and the whites are blues in Damascus so that if one does indeed follow just the whites they have blued!!!:confused: Wait .... here they come....... :banana:banana:banana:banana Yea, THAT is funny, I don't care what color you are. So I came to fork in the trail, and I'm sorry Jack, but once I followed the blues- and it didn't make any difference. Now them yeller blazers that do indeed lie welll, we should hang em from the nearest tree.... next time we're in town. Most liars have coward in em too so we'd be doing the world a favor really.:eek:
On this trip we will carry paint with, so the servants will always be able to mark our path w/ the apropriate color!:D

Homer&Marje
06-17-2009, 17:50
AHHHH!!! A Yellow Blaze!!!!!!! AND IT'S A TRIANGLE!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!!

fancyfeet
06-17-2009, 18:14
Aha! Now this thread is getting funny again!
(Regardless of thinly veiled barbs tossed by morose poster attempting to pursue own agenda, thusly luring newbs away from the warm bosom of WB. ) :sun

Oh, I can't forget the ( :banana:banana:banana ) slightly annoying animated humor indicators! So nobody forgets what forum we're in.

Homer&Marje
06-17-2009, 19:04
Are bananas considered yellow blazes???

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana That's like a half mile worth:D:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Might as well make it a mile!!!!

fancyfeet
06-17-2009, 21:59
Finally! Here's conclusive proof (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=34512&c=519) that even the purist white-blazer is a blue-blazer, too. :eek:

:banana

The Mechanical Man
06-18-2009, 00:47
Um, MM, Andersonville and "Camp Sumpter" were actually the same place; it's not like they were two different locations, though Andersonville was not the real name of the facility.

And in any case, the correct spelling of the facility was "Camp Sumter".

Nice to see you're unusually well-informed, as always. :rolleyes:

Thanks Jack. :sun

I don't know what else to say................................. :banana

Homer&Marje
06-18-2009, 05:29
Thanks Jack. :sun

I don't know what else to say................................. :banana

This is the humor forum... Please make it funny...or go away.

This is a blue Blazing Banana....
:banana:rolleyes::banana:rolleyes::banana:rolleyes ::banana:rolleyes::banana:rolleyes: Oh look...he's in PA:welcome....I think I'll continue....:D

The Mechanical Man
06-18-2009, 15:27
This is the humor forum... Please make it funny...or go away.

This is a blue Blazing Banana....
:banana:rolleyes::banana:rolleyes::banana:rolleyes ::banana:rolleyes::banana:rolleyes: Oh look...he's in PA:welcome....I think I'll continue....:D

Were you born an idiot, or did you have to work at it?

Homer&Marje
06-18-2009, 15:32
Were you born an idiot, or did you have to work at it?

Back to the name calling...jeez that's awful rude. I guess it's true..your only young once but can be immature forever.

Come up with a clever insult...calling me an idiot is getting old...my wife can take care of that for me when it gits ta needin time:rolleyes:

The Mechanical Man
06-18-2009, 15:50
Back to the name calling...jeez that's awful rude. I guess it's true..your only young once but can be immature forever.

Come up with a clever insult...calling me an idiot is getting old...my wife can take care of that for me when it gits ta needin time:rolleyes:

You didn't answer the question, but that's OK, you couldn't do it even if you got your wife to help you. :banana

Homer&Marje
06-18-2009, 15:55
How much computer time do they give you at the Pennsylvania Geriatric Society? Getting your blood pressure up this high is not good. Time for dinner anyways...you can post a little more tomorrow.

The Mechanical Man
06-18-2009, 16:05
How much computer time do they give you at the Pennsylvania Geriatric Society? Getting your blood pressure up this high is not good. Time for dinner anyways...you can post a little more tomorrow.

Not sure where all your hostility comes from,.............. perhaps it's that sh!!ty looking food you make, then force yourself to eat?

Bearpaw
06-18-2009, 16:09
TMM in the Hiking Humor Forum...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/misc/Dontapprove.jpg

Bearpaw
06-18-2009, 16:17
versus Homer in the Hiking Humor Forum...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/misc/swedishchef.png

Who is having more fun? :-?

The Mechanical Man
06-18-2009, 16:20
versus Homer in the Hiking Humor Forum...

Who is having more fun? :-?

I was class clown, I know what fun is! :banana

kanga
06-18-2009, 16:28
TMM in the Hiking Humor Forum...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/misc/Dontapprove.jpg

are you sure that's not weasy? (just kidding weasy)

Hooch
06-18-2009, 16:35
I was class clown, I know what fun is! :bananaWell, you're still a clown, but you've lost your class. :eek::p

Homer&Marje
06-18-2009, 16:42
Not sure where all your hostility comes from,.............. perhaps it's that sh!!ty looking food you make, then force yourself to eat?

Difference between us and being idiots....plainly.

Most on WB have NEVER met me, and can assume...I'm an idiot if they want. Feel Free.

A lot on WB HAVE met you. And consensus is that your an idiot.

Tin Man
06-18-2009, 16:44

Most on WB have NEVER met me, and can assume...I'm an idiot if they want. Feel Free.

http://www.epicfail.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/penis-bush.jpg

Tin Man
06-18-2009, 16:47
I was class clown, I know what fun is! :banana

http://www.epicfail.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/kids-ride-fail.jpg

Safari
06-19-2009, 05:19
I have come up with another idea... no bearers, no package trip, no more yellow bananas or 'in jokes & niggling' (some of us newbies are blissfully unaware of WB rivalries..i just see this site as a fantastic tool to gain info for my upcoming thru or have a poop & giggle when the whole planning thing becomes far too serious, plus I have 'met' some very cool people through the forum..)- how about I just rely on 'trail magic' ??!!! As I haven't actually set foot on the AT yet this will be a huge gamble & an enormous surprise to see it in action (gosh, i hope it actually exists)... there may be a few hungry ol nights where i honestly regret it, but think of the buzz when i stagger down the track and spy a 'cooler' (cool!) and scoff all those yummy bubbly drinky's... no gear+trail magic=ultralight
:eek:

Dances with Mice
06-19-2009, 09:26
I have come up with another idea... no bearers, no package trip, no more yellow bananas or 'in jokes & niggling' (some of us newbies are blissfully unaware of WB rivalries..i just see this site as a fantastic tool to gain info for my upcoming thru or have a poop & giggle when the whole planning thing becomes far too serious, plus I have 'met' some very cool people through the forum..)- how about I just rely on 'trail magic' ??!!! As I haven't actually set foot on the AT yet this will be a huge gamble & an enormous surprise to see it in action (gosh, i hope it actually exists)... there may be a few hungry ol nights where i honestly regret it, but think of the buzz when i stagger down the track and spy a 'cooler' (cool!) and scoff all those yummy bubbly drinky's... no gear+trail magic=ultralightThat's a great idea and very easy to do.

Newbies may not be aware that trail magic is often left in brightly colored nylon bags hanging from trees or cables near shelters. Inside the bags you'll find food and often other supplies. The best time to find these bags is at night.

Homer&Marje
06-19-2009, 10:07
That's a great idea and very easy to do.

Newbies may not be aware that trail magic is often left in brightly colored nylon bags hanging from trees or cables near shelters. Inside the bags you'll find food and often other supplies. The best time to find these bags is at night.

No...that was mine. What a bad morning;):D

Homer&Marje
06-19-2009, 10:10
Look Familiar:clap
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/7/8/4/6/sdc10756.jpg

CowHead
06-19-2009, 10:14
lmao that will surely get you shot, might as well hunt for snipes while your up

Dances with Mice
06-19-2009, 10:22
might as well hunt for snipes while your upWe are coming up with so many great ideas now. Our future visitor from Down Under may not know how delicious our grilled snipes are. I imagine they taste very much like koala. The bags containing trail majic may also be used to hunt snipe.

Dances with Mice
06-19-2009, 10:25
And while we're on the topic, many hikers in the States carry their drinking water in a platypus. You should plan on bringing your own, they'll be so much fresher that way.

Homer&Marje
06-19-2009, 14:51
And while we're on the topic, many hikers in the States carry their drinking water in a platypus. You should plan on bringing your own, they'll be so much fresher that way.

No....cause the Aussie platypus you have to feed....and there is no pack designed for them to carry their own food.:D Duct tape?

Dances with Mice
06-19-2009, 15:12
No....cause the Aussie platypus you have to feed....and there is no pack designed for them to carry their own food.:D Duct tape?No, no, no! Hikers simply leave their platypus in the spring near the shelter overnight. They can forage for their own food and refill with water for the next day.

Homer&Marje
06-19-2009, 16:07
No, no, no! Hikers simply leave their platypus in the spring near the shelter overnight. They can forage for their own food and refill with water for the next day.

Now that my friend.....is a new strategy.....I wouldn't be surprised to see it employed by every sobo and late start this year in fact.

Gonna be more popular than Furbies :D

I just bought my first Platypus online....I'm going to start breeding them. I will accept check, money order, and paypal for the Platypus. We have the yearlings, the 1 liter capacity for $1,995. The 2 years and older (full size 3 liter capacity, midgets are considered juveniles) for $2,495.

Mind you folks, this is a lifetime (theirs) purchase and convenience beyond belief. For an extra $500 and $30 a month we will install a gps tracking chip that can link right up to your hand held and track your platypus in the morning. Will save you from having to find where they went foraging....more than likely in the wrong direction on the trail....that's aggravating usually to purists:D

Be sure to PM your credit card number, address, phone number, full name and SS#.

Safari
06-20-2009, 04:04
gee thanx for the ideas folks! this 'trail magic' sounds like work though, why don't they just put those bright nylon bags full of goodies on the ground instead of hanging them in trees? Save me alot of hassle...Platypus (live ones, yikes!) is an interesting notion, mind you though, the whole point of this thread is to avoid carrying anything at all, prehaps you could check if the little tykes can jog along side me all cameled up, as I push the boundaries of ultralight hiking.
To be honest I'm just looking forward to stumbling over all these 'coolers' full of soda and beer that people apparently just leave on the trail all the time by the sounds of it... i'll be able to make a new alcohol stove every night & just toss it in the bush afterwards, saving untold weight by not carrying it... gosh darn it, here comes one of those dancing bananas again :banana

jrwiesz
06-20-2009, 04:50

They must, they keep re-electing the same Senators year after year.:D

jrwiesz
06-20-2009, 05:06
...by the sounds of it... i'll be able to make a new alcohol stove every night & just toss it in the bush afterwards, saving untold weight by not carrying it...

:eek: Now you've gone and done it.

Ultra-lite hikers must adhere to LNT ethics.:-?

Might get you disqualified for that 2000 mile patch. So sorry.

Marta
06-20-2009, 05:10
... i'll be able to make a new alcohol stove every night & just toss it in the bush afterwards, saving untold weight by not carrying it...

Don't toss it in the bush--leave it in the shelter. I'll stay a day behind you, and I won't have to either carry or make a stove--I'll just use the resident shelter stove.

Homer&Marje
06-20-2009, 08:16
Now that my friend.....is a new strategy.....I wouldn't be surprised to see it employed by every sobo and late start this year in fact.

Gonna be more popular than Furbies :D

I just bought my first Platypus online....I'm going to start breeding them. I will accept check, money order, and paypal for the Platypus. We have the yearlings, the 1 liter capacity for $1,995. The 2 years and older (full size 3 liter capacity, midgets are considered juveniles) for $2,495.

Mind you folks, this is a lifetime (theirs) purchase and convenience beyond belief. For an extra $500 and $30 a month we will install a gps tracking chip that can link right up to your hand held and track your platypus in the morning. Will save you from having to find where they went foraging....more than likely in the wrong direction on the trail....that's aggravating usually to purists:D

Be sure to PM your credit card number, address, phone number, full name and SS#.

They're selling out quick folks.....we literally only have 1 left...it's expensive. And broken. It bit me, so I kicked it.:eek::D

Dances with Mice
06-21-2009, 12:59
lmao that will surely get you shot, might as well hunt for snipes while your upI wouldn't want to scare Biscuitchonkers so we should cover an important bit of American social etiquette while we have the chance. Unlike Australia where guns are controlled, in the States many people carry firearms. When we greet someone it is considered courteous for each person to pull out their gun and shoot at the other. It's just our way of saying "G'Day". Please don't get upset when this happens to you.

Tinker
06-21-2009, 16:05
Don't toss it in the bush--leave it in the shelter. I'll stay a day behind you, and I won't have to either carry or make a stove--I'll just use the resident shelter stove.

You just might be onto something there. Instead of leaving little Gideons New Testaments, we could leave Supercat stoves instead, thereby saving hikers behind us that .3 oz. or whatever. They would still, alas, have to carry their own fuel:(.

Safari
06-21-2009, 20:46
Guns??! In the US of A? I thought you folks were all WalMart and super size the biggie fries...Hang on here, my AT guidebook by Mr B.Bryson never said anything about guns... sheesh! Next our gonna tell me you can send cooking fuel from a Post office and you let women go hiking..(ha ha, right!) :eek:

Dances with Mice
06-21-2009, 21:30
Guns??! In the US of A? I thought you folks were all WalMart and super size the biggie fries...Very good point that I overlooked. American etiquette can be tricky, there are some subtle nuances. It is considered rude to pull out your gun at McDonalds (http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/7197/48/)since the employees' hands are too greasy to pull out their own. It is good that you have asked these types of questions before you arrive.