PDA

View Full Version : prevent toe crunch going down the mountain

CowHead
06-08-2009, 06:48
My boots fit great, but what's with this toe crunch going down mountains. Is there anyway to 1. prevent it or 2 keep the tip of your toes from brusing. Are is this a fact of the hike. thanks

kayak karl
06-08-2009, 07:09
My boots fit great, but what's with this toe cruch going down mountains. Is there anyway to 1. prevent it or 2 keep the tip of your toes from brusing. Are is this a fact of the hike. thanks
i lost 4 toenails due to this this winter. when i got back and went to foot doc he said i need a shoe with larger toe compartment. he also said keep them properly laced and maybe even a little tighter on a long down hill. i was wearing trail runners at the time. my NB1201 boots don't effect me the same way.

bigcranky
06-08-2009, 07:12
I re-tie my laces much tighter for going downhill.

If that doesn't work, the boots are too short.

CowHead
06-08-2009, 07:21
Thanks I enjoy the information, wife and I did a 30 mile hike this last weekend and that was our only complaint were pass the blister stage and leg cramps and the dreaded toe crunch got us

Engine
06-08-2009, 07:47

Ditto.

At the top of a long or very steep descent, kick your heels to the back of the shoe and the tighten the laces to the point just before it feel uncomfortable. Don't forget to loosen them and let the feet relax and breath during the flats and climbs.

garlic08
06-08-2009, 10:11
Also investigate relacing your shoes in a "heel lock" configuration: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

Worked for me.

Dogwood
06-08-2009, 10:29
It's been covered already, but your feet should not slip forward inside your shoes creating toe jam when you go downhill. If your boots are not fitted right or the laces are loose these are the most likely causes. For several reasons you want your heel to be cradled or cupped. For one, the heel cup helps prevent this.

Reid
06-08-2009, 10:30
Also investigate relacing your shoes in a "heel lock" configuration: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

Worked for me.

I like that, will have to try it out. I always leave the shoe tied loosley then push my heel to the very back of the shoe and tie it very tight only around my ankle. Seems to work ok for me.

ChinMusic
06-08-2009, 10:39
Ditto.

At the top of a long or very steep descent, kick your heels to the back of the shoe and the tighten the laces to the point just before it feel uncomfortable. Don't forget to loosen them and let the feet relax and breath during the flats and climbs.
+1

Looses the laces, jam that heel back (tapping heel on ground), and tighten up.

World-Wide
06-08-2009, 10:50

Have to agree with the Crankster on tightening up your laces. Also, ensure the nail on your big toe is trimmed back to prevent it from ramming into the tip of your boot!

snowhoe
06-08-2009, 10:52
I also keep my toe nails trimmed. If you toes are crunching into the front of your boots you are bound to lose a toe nail. Keep them cut.

RWK
06-08-2009, 11:26
I second the lace lock approach noted by garlic08. Allows you to tighten up the shoe so there is very little slippage but doesn't tighten the forefoot area too much. I have very wide forefoot and this lacing technique has really helped.

CowHead
06-08-2009, 11:39
thanks it was the looseness I'll keep the tight going downhill