PDA

View Full Version : Asolos Tore my feet UP!!

hikergirl1120
06-08-2009, 09:26
So I bought my Asolo 520's a while back. I wore them around town a little bit and also on a few shor tlight hikes.

Then had the "brilliant" idea of trying them on my Greylock 12 miler....not so good

Big blisters and a swollen ankle.

The one thing that I can say is that I have never walked in a boot with a more comfortable sole. I really felt like my feet were well protected.

Now if I could take the Merrell uppers and put them on the Asolo soles it would be perfect!

Do you think I should stick it out with the Asolos????...I am headed to the Franconia ridge this weekend and am tempted to give them another shot.

Also I am starting my through in July (SOBO). The thought crossed my mind that I could do New England with the Asolos and switch to my lighter Merrells after....any thoughts on these ideas would be appreciated :)

traildust
06-08-2009, 09:33
Stay with the Asolos. But wear them everyday if you can. Start SOBO with them and when they wear out, if they wear out, then switch. We have a couple thousand miles on ours and they are still a great boot. Probably will go another 1000.

snowhoe
06-08-2009, 10:00
Try wearing liner socks too.

RITBlake
06-08-2009, 10:08
Hockey skates are notoriously bad to break in. We used to wear them at home in the evening while watching tv or doing homework. I suggest you do the same w/ a bigger boot like these Asolo 520.

Yukon
06-08-2009, 10:40
Yep, wear them some more and possibly some sock liners, love my 520's...

hikergirl1120
06-08-2009, 11:10
OK I will try the liner and wearing them around more...I am going to give them another try this weekend too

World-Wide
06-08-2009, 11:15
I'd focus a bit on socks and liners if you didn't give it any attention before your 12 miler. I own a pair of Asolo FSN 95 GTX hiking boots and right out of the box I hiked several hours on terrain that had very steep inclines/declines and had no problems at all. Great quality boot! (so are my Scarpa's!)

d'shadow
06-08-2009, 11:56
Perhaps it is the size? I have worn mine almost everyday for years and to this day, not recieved one blister. Although, I now tend to hike in them in the cold weather and use keens in the summer. A good outfitter can help you out here.

OldStormcrow
06-08-2009, 16:33
Everybody's feet are different. My Asolo Fugitives have blistered my heels every time I have gone out somewhere in them, even with sock liners....and I NEVER gte blisters. There is a wicked seam in the back of the heel. My beat-up old Vasque Clarions feel just great, though.

Jester2000
06-08-2009, 18:12
The break-in period is longer for a full leather boot like the 520s. I second (or third?) the recommendations to wear them as much as possible, but they're really going to break in on hikes, I think. They will eventually be very comfortable, assuming that the fit is correct.

RedneckRye
06-08-2009, 22:50
Where on your feet are the blisters?
Sides of the heel indicates that your heel is moving up and down in the boot. Playing around with the lacing may help that , or the boots may be too big.
Bottom of the foot indicates that your foot is sliding back and forth in the boot. Once again, lacing may help.
Blisters on the toes may indicate that the toe box is too narrow, or the boots are a bit too small, or your foot is sliding forward and jamming up.

Here is a link that shows some different lacing stuff...
http://www.backpacker.com/april_2003_gear_boot_lacing_tips/gear/5245
The best way I've found to keep my heel securely held back and down into the heel cup is to use a surgeons knot above the last "D" shaped eyelet, pull very snugly (but not too tight) around the first speed lace, and then another surgeons knot. Lace the last 2 eyelets a bit looser than the one between the surgeons knot.

Liners will also probably help.
Give them time to break in, I wore a couple of pairs of Asolo 535's, the non-GoreTex version of the same boot and loved them once they were broken in .

hikergirl1120
06-09-2009, 07:09
the blisters were on the backs and outsides of my heels...the ones that hurt are the ones on the backs!

I bought some liners last night to try this weekend and I will also check out the lacing stuff...thank you!!!

Grinder
06-09-2009, 07:53
Hiking shoes/boots have to be one of the worlds biggest crap shoots!

Nothing but trial and error seems to work. Hearsay recommendation from forums like these do seem to weed out the "fall apart" shoes, but comfortable fit is another story.

Storm, one of the "Pakadivas" currently hiking. just bought new shoes which nearly killed her. three or four days and no improvement. the temporary fix was a $25 pair of kmart sneakers which brought immediate relief. That's just wrong!!!

And, it's not like you can just throw money at the problem and get good results. The expensive shoes seem to have as much problems as the bargain basement.

You would think the huge body of knowledge that this forum possesses could be formulated in a useful way.

zoidfu
06-09-2009, 07:54
How are the soles in those? I had some fugitives and the sole was the worst I've ever had the displeasure to walk in. Rock hard only scratches the surface. I didn't even like walking around at work or on the town in them. They were so uncomfortable that I will never, ever buy another Asolo product. I can't believe they would even sell something like that... and for $190! Absurd and insulting:eek:

hikergirl1120
06-09-2009, 08:00
It's so tough because everyone's feet are different. Ahhhhh LOL

NCYankee
06-09-2009, 08:05
I had the exact same problem!

I picked up a pair of 520's and wore them almost daily for months breaking them in. I loved the comfort of them (and they were also pretty good looking boots). I would take them on simple little mountain climbs (under 5 mile day hikes) and they would perform perfectly, very grippy and solid. The problem was always on trips when we did more than 10 miles, I would get these hot spots on my toes.

When I took them with me on my GA->NC section hike things got really bad. Day 1 (Springer to Hawk) they felt OK, but I started getting a little hot spot. Day 2 (Hawk to Woody) they got pretty sore but day 3 (Woody to Neels) they just got unbearable. I got these massive blisters on each of my big toes on the outside to the point where I couldn't really walk at all. If not for the outfitter (Mountain Crossings) putting me into the a pair of Montrail Hardrocks my hike would have ended right there.

My boots were well broken in (they had more than 800 miles on them) but for trail/mountain hiking they just did not work for me. Since that point I have gone through a couple of boots including a pair of Keens (different kind of toe problem plus a sole I wasn't happy with), my Montrails (my left foot is right at the front of the toe box now, so they aren't comfortable for long downhills), and now I am on a pair of the wide Solomon's.

In the last 45 days I have gone from a boot fan to a trail runner fan.

I tried to make those Asolo's work for me because there was no way that a pair of $250 boots was going to be crap, but for me and my feet, they just didn't work. Someone will get a heck of a deal at REI during the next sidewalk sale because I brought them back.

If you're having problems then try something new and see what will work best for you. You might be shocked at how well you do in a lightweight trail runner (I'm trilled with the switch now).

hikergirl1120
06-09-2009, 08:23
I am concerened about switching to a trail runner because I will be carrying approx 40 lbs

Tipi Walter
06-09-2009, 08:29
As someone said, boots and feet are subjective as to comfort and fit. I had a pair of Limmers back in 2001 that were the most uncomfortable boots I ever owned. Who knew?

I've had the best of luck with the Asolos, though not a full leather version. You may want to try their lighter FSNs and Fugitives, both goretex, as they may be better. Or get away entirely from the brand and keep looking. When you find what you're looking for, you'll be very happy.

NCYankee
06-09-2009, 08:41
After some of the monsoons I have walked in the concept of Goretex no longer matters to me. My feet are going to get wet regardless and at least the shoes dry quick without Goretex. YMMV, of course. My wife, for example, wears a pair of full leather REI Spirit III boots and loves them. She walks right through puddles (I call her a tank) whereas I am always hopping about trying to limit the water into my shoes. It is completely subjective.

For me I will wear a trail runner up to 40lbs, beyond that I would start to get nervous, but I would also be nervous about carrying 40+lbs at this point.

Before my first 30 miles on the AT I was a die hard boot person… I didn’t like trail runners and didn’t see a point. I wore my big heavy Asolos and never complained about the weight because I was a boot person (and I have a big foot, so they were especially heavy). My transition to a trail runner was all the result of those first 30 miles. In all honesty, part of me would prefer a boot simply because my mind always equates boots with hiking, but at this point for my 1 week or less trips trail runners work far better for me. The only reason I would consider going back to a boot at this point is for that ego aspect of associating boots with hiking, but I doubt that will happen ($250 is a lot of money to put towards ego).

I really believe in hiking your own hike and use what works best for you whether it is carrying a pillow or sleeping on your clothes bag or wearing boots or trail runners. Do what works best for you. I was just sharing my experience since I had the EXACT same experience with my 520’s that you described and it almost knocked me off the trail.

JAK
06-09-2009, 09:05
I am concerened about switching to a trail runner because I will be carrying approx 40 lbsUnless you are already overweight, wearing trail runners while carrying 40 pounds is no different on your feet and ankles than being 40 pounds overweight. Ditch the hiking boots. They were a bad idea 100 years ago and they are still a bad idea today. While you are at it, ditch the 40 pounds, and go lighter. Why are you making this difficult? Its just walking.

JAK
06-09-2009, 09:08
Hockey skates are notoriously bad to break in. We used to wear them at home in the evening while watching tv or doing homework. I suggest you do the same w/ a bigger boot like these Asolo 520.Don't wear hockey skates hiking either. ;)

JAK
06-09-2009, 09:13
Whatever outfitter sold you hiking boots is an *******.

hikergirl1120
06-09-2009, 09:20

Too funny!!! It's hard to know what is the right way to go when everyone tells you something different....I bought the boots at REI...on sale...and 2 salesmen at 2 different both said that I should be wearing boots if I am hiking with heavier loads...I tried a lighter boot and the soles of my feet felt like I was walking on razor blades by mile 10

snowhoe
06-09-2009, 09:53
Too funny!!! It's hard to know what is the right way to go when everyone tells you something different....I bought the boots at REI...on sale...and 2 salesmen at 2 different both said that I should be wearing boots if I am hiking with heavier loads...I tried a lighter boot and the soles of my feet felt like I was walking on razor blades by mile 10

Thats exactly why I dont wear trail runners when I am backpacking.

LockJaww
06-09-2009, 09:59
Another vote for " real " boots here. If I couldnt have Alicos, I'd probably have Asolos.

JAK
06-09-2009, 10:01
Then they are both ********. Remember that these guys get paid to sell you more stuff than you need not to do what is best for you. They are not your friends. If you can't walk comfortably in trail runners then you are carrying too much weight.

JAK
06-09-2009, 10:01
Another vote for " real " boots here. If I couldnt have Alicos, I'd probably have Asolos. Another *******.

JAK
06-09-2009, 10:02
Thats exactly why I dont wear trail runners when I am backpacking.and another.

JAK
06-09-2009, 10:03
The world is filled with ******** and idiots, but we already know that.

Use your own brains people.

LockJaww
06-09-2009, 10:05
Hey jak.....You can hike in flip flops if you'd like...I couldnt give a rats a$$....But how about saving the name calling to a face to face huh?

JAK
06-09-2009, 10:14
Someone has to say it.

JAK
06-09-2009, 10:15
Probably invented by the same folks that brought us high heels.

leeki pole
06-09-2009, 10:27
Probably invented by the same folks that brought us high heels.
Now that would be a challenge, but postholing might be a problem. But it would sure make my calves look good. Hard to find a good pair in a size 12, though.

hikergirl1120
06-09-2009, 10:29
Now that would be a challenge, but postholing might be a problem. But it would sure make my calves look good. Hard to find a good pair in a size 12, though.

high heels are the devil:mad:

JAK
06-09-2009, 10:37
Apparently they originated as riding boots, to keep the foot in the stirrup.

For the record I have nothing against leather.

Jester2000
06-09-2009, 10:53
You would think the huge body of knowledge that this forum possesses could be formulated in a useful way.

Tragically, few on this site are experts on other people's feet.

Then they are both ********. Remember that these guys get paid to sell you more stuff than you need not to do what is best for you. They are not your friends. If you can't walk comfortably in trail runners then you are carrying too much weight.

The majority of people who work at outfitters are not working on commission, and good business people know that selling people what is best for them creates not just sales, but repeat customers. Which equals more money than you could ever get in one sale.

Of course, the problem comes in knowing what is best for someone else. This problem, coupled with the fact that larger outfitters are less likely to have experienced employees (at least as far as thru-hikers' needs go), means that one might get advice that you absolutely need something you might not need.

And there's the fact that for MANY people hiking boots work for them and they like them, and many people (including those who DO NOT WORK AT OUTFITTERS) recommend them. There are people out there who don't agree with you. That doesn't make them ********, just people with different preferences and differing opinions.

Personally, I wore Vasque boots up until my PCT hike, where I decided to try different kinds of gear than what I was used to. During the course of my hike I wore New Balance, Keens, Vasques, and Montrails, none of which were boots. I carry a pretty heavy pack, and had no problems. But then again, I'm just me, not everyone, and would never think that it "had to be said" that those who chose differently were ********.

Feral Bill
06-09-2009, 10:54
Someone has to say it.

No, they don't.

It is entirely possible to strongly disagree and be polite.
Try it, people will take you more seriously.

FB

JAK
06-09-2009, 10:55
Interesting article by a fellow that makes his own hiking moccassins.
http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~hollin/index.html?page=gear/moccasins.html

JAK
06-09-2009, 10:57
No, they don't.

FBThat won't work.
People will never stop buying and selling crap.

Stuff still has to be said.

JAK
06-09-2009, 11:03
Tragically, few on this site are experts on other people's feet.

The majority of people who work at outfitters are not working on commission, and good business people know that selling people what is best for them creates not just sales, but repeat customers. Which equals more money than you could ever get in one sale.

Of course, the problem comes in knowing what is best for someone else. This problem, coupled with the fact that larger outfitters are less likely to have experienced employees (at least as far as thru-hikers' needs go), means that one might get advice that you absolutely need something you might not need.

And there's the fact that for MANY people hiking boots work for them and they like them, and many people (including those who DO NOT WORK AT OUTFITTERS) recommend them. There are people out there who don't agree with you. That doesn't make them ********, just people with different preferences and differing opinions.

Personally, I wore Vasque boots up until my PCT hike, where I decided to try different kinds of gear than what I was used to. During the course of my hike I wore New Balance, Keens, Vasques, and Montrails, none of which were boots. I carry a pretty heavy pack, and had no problems. But then again, I'm just me, not everyone, and would never think that it "had to be said" that those who chose differently were ********.The outfitting industry isn't about making proper gear. Its about making gear that makes the most money. Repeat customers doesn't mean ****.

YoungMoose
06-09-2009, 11:04
i would stay with them

JAK
06-09-2009, 11:06
Yeah, every 14 year old needs 2 pound hiking boots.

hikergirl1120
06-09-2009, 11:14

Wait a minute here...who's 14...was that sarcasm that I didn't get??

hikergirl1120
06-09-2009, 11:14

Oh wait I get it now....never mind :cool:

hikergirl1120
06-09-2009, 11:15
No, they don't.

FB

I really don't want my head bit off but I must agree that angry responses do not make take them any more seriously...maybe less....I appreciate advice, but that's what it is right??? Not a right or wrong answer

JAK
06-09-2009, 11:21
People need to separate function from fashion.
Not saying that's easy to do. In fact, it is extremely difficult.

In fact, we shouldn't do away with fashion entirely, but we shouldn't let it interfere with function, and we should know the difference. This was easier to do in a world when we made our own shoes. Even if we can't do this or chose not to, we should at least strive to understand the difference between function and fashion, and why we really make the choices that we do, and why the modern world insists on producing so much worthless **** and selling it for so much money. If we figure out what we actually need, in terms of materials function and form, we can usually find something that will do or modify it or make it ourselves. But lets no kid ourselves. 99% of the stuff out there just ain't it.

Why are people drawn to fashion, even when purchasing technical gear?
It is an interesting question, and worth studying. Fashion is comforting.
Thing is, you can also choose or make your own fashion. Very few do.

JAK
06-09-2009, 11:26
I really don't want my head bit off but I must agree that angry responses do not make take them any more seriously...maybe less....I appreciate advice, but that's what it is right??? Not a right or wrong answerYou are correct that it is all just advise and opinion. You are wrong however, in that there are no right and no wrong answers. You do have to figure out which are right and which are wrong. None of us may know for certain what it is, but truth is truth.

JAK
06-09-2009, 11:33
Alot of stuff developed for mountaineering is sold for general hiking.
Most of it isn't even appropriate for mountaineering.

Rather like most SUVs, that are neither suited for road or off road.
With cars we are limited, to choosing the fashion that is least inappropriate.

At least when we go walking we can do better.

hikergirl1120
06-09-2009, 11:36
People need to separate function from fashion.
Not saying that's easy to do. In fact, it is extremely difficult.

In fact, we shouldn't do away with fashion entirely, but we shouldn't let it interfere with function, and we should know the difference. This was easier to do in a world when we made our own shoes. Even if we can't do this or chose not to, we should at least strive to understand the difference between function and fashion, and why we really make the choices that we do, and why the modern world insists on producing so much worthless **** and selling it for so much money. If we figure out what we actually need, in terms of materials function and form, we can usually find something that will do or modify it or make it ourselves. But lets no kid ourselves. 99% of the stuff out there just ain't it.

Why are people drawn to fashion, even when purchasing technical gear?
It is an interesting question, and worth studying. Fashion is comforting.
Thing is, you can also choose or make your own fashion. Very few do.

I didn't ask which looked the best...I was asking about the function of my boots

hikergirl1120
06-09-2009, 11:36
You are correct that it is all just advise and opinion. You are wrong however, in that there are no right and no wrong answers. You do have to figure out which are right and which are wrong. None of us may know for certain what it is, but truth is truth.

I thin in the case of footwear, it's an individually based truth

kanga
06-09-2009, 11:45
everybody's feet are different. when i was younger i had a pair of vasque clarion impacts that were heaven on my feet. i wore them until the duct tape just wouldn't hold them together anymore. but i played soccer for years and it drastically reshaped my feet. now i cannot find a pair of boots that won't immediately rub blisters on my heels, and i've tried dozens. after deciding that i was not going to be uncomfortable anymore, i switched to trail runners and will never go back. i carry up to 35lbs in them with absolutely no difference in how my feet feel vs. 11lbs. i have a pair of montrail boots right now that have been relegated to work boots, since they are less than useless on the trail.
some people can't wear boots the same as others can't wear trail runners. your feet are not anybody else's feet. keep trying until you find something that works.

hikergirl1120
06-09-2009, 11:47
everybody's feet are different. when i was younger i had a pair of vasque clarion impacts that were heaven on my feet. i wore them until the duct tape just wouldn't hold them together anymore. but i played soccer for years and it drastically reshaped my feet. now i cannot find a pair of boots that won't immediately rub blisters on my heels, and i've tried dozens. after deciding that i was not going to be uncomfortable anymore, i switched to trail runners and will never go back. i carry up to 35lbs in them with absolutely no difference in how my feet feel vs. 11lbs. i have a pair of montrail boots right now that have been relegated to work boots, since they are less than useless on the trail.
some people can't wear boots the same as others can't wear trail runners. your feet are not anybody else's feet. keep trying until you find something that works.

how are the soles of your feet though?? The only footwear that I have found that protect mine from agony at the end of the day were the Asolos...I compute this to me needing a stiff sole...

JAK
06-09-2009, 11:56
Truth is truth. There is only one truth, not that we ever know completely or for certain what it is. But the right footwear for one person is not always the right footwear for another if that is what you mean.

My main point however, is to question why manufacturers manufacture what they do, and why retailers sell what they do, and why consumers buy what they do. The truth ain't pretty. Then try and start from the beginning, with your feet, and with traditional footwear and clothing and travelling gear, and with some math and science and self awareness and mistakes. There is much fashion there also, but also much truth and beauty. Find your own truth and beauty.

Maybe you fill find it in a pair of hiking boots, but my guess is probably not if they cost so much and slow you down and give you blisters. Try less weight also. Another old but wise tradition. ;)

kanga
06-09-2009, 11:57
i walk around barefoot if i don't absolutely have to wear shoes (work, etc). but that is totally secondary to finding the shoe fits you correctly. there are several different sole replacements out there that rock.

leeki pole
06-09-2009, 12:02
Truth is truth. There is only one truth, not that we ever know completely or for certain what it is. But the right footwear for one person is not always the right footwear for another if that is what you mean.

My main point however, is to question why manufacturers manufacture what they do, and why retailers sell what they do, and why consumers buy what they do. The truth ain't pretty. Then try and start from the beginning, with your feet, and with traditional footwear and clothing and travelling gear, and with some math and science and self awareness and mistakes. There is much fashion there also, but also much truth and beauty. Find your own truth and beauty.

Maybe you fill find it in a pair of hiking boots, but my guess is probably not if they cost so much and slow you down and give you blisters. Try less weight also. Another old but wise tradition. ;)
In my humble opinion, JAK is correct. Thus speaketh leeki.:D

RITBlake
06-09-2009, 12:05
JAK did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

JAK
06-09-2009, 12:07
Why do your feet get sore when you hike in something other than the Asolos?
I am not sure you have are correctly figured that out yet.
I am not sure you have are correctly determined that hiking boots are the solution.

How much do you weigh? How much do you carry? What terrain do you hike on? How fast and aggressively do you hike? Do you jump down onto rocks? How strong are your feet? Do you do alot of running? Do you do alot of walking? What do you wear in town? Do your feet get sore if you are on your feet all day? Maybe you just need to get your feet into better shape. Maybe hiking boots and a heavy pack isn't the best way to do that.

JAK
06-09-2009, 12:29
Fit is very important, perhaps even the most important, but not the only thing. You have to get a good fit, but also shoes that have enough cushion and protection without being way too heavy and inflexible. Heavy inflexible boots should be a last resort. They are a compromise, for extreme conditions. For hiking you are giving up too much. Most hiking boots are sold because they are expensive, not because they are neccessary or appropriate for hiking. You don't have to go to the opposite extreme either, but you should at least try and reduce your body weight and gear weight enought to enable you to hike comfortably and safely in something like trail runners. Let you feet and ankles enjoy and benefit from the hike, just like the rest of you. Don't be a slave to the outfitters and gear manufacturers.

Now I hdo ave an old pair of soft leather hiking boots, which I dearly love and often wear to work or on day hikes and even short overnights. The leather has alot of advantages in some conditions. They are 16oz per shoe and so not much heavier than trail runners. They are flexible enough for my foot. They don't have enough traction for winter, or enough cushion for summer, but I might but a trail runner sole on them and then I think they would be awesome. Real leather trail runners, that fit, would be awesome for some conditions but I doubt we will see them, unless we make them ourselves. Trail runners can be found that manage water well enough. Heavy hiking boots however, 99% that are sold, are sold for the wrong reasons and do more harm than good. Even without the blisters, they slow people down and don't give their feet a good workout, like they would get if they were hiking with less weight and in lighter more flexible footwear. Don't make it difficult. Maybe now and then if you want to lug 100 pounds up a mountain for some reason, but get in shape first, and do that with something lighter and more flexible.

snowhoe
06-09-2009, 13:43
jak, you sure do run your mouth quite a bit. Do you even hike? most people that do actually hike dont have that much negetive stuff to say. You have a whole conversation with just yourself. So get over yourself and stop being a ...........

mudhead
06-09-2009, 14:02

I just had to say it.

Size conversion chart, lower left margin.

Now let's hear a round of applause for Leeki. Yeehawrg!

http://www.alaska.net/~kathryn/heels.htm

Jester2000
06-09-2009, 17:07
The outfitting industry isn't about making proper gear. Its about making gear that makes the most money. Repeat customers doesn't mean ****.

Oh, well, perhaps I'm wrong. Where I work we're encouraged by our bosses to get out and use gear, find out what works, make recommendations based on our experience, ask our customers about what they need the gear for (in order to best help them), work with our gear reps to resolve problems hikers are having on the trail, do repairs without charging labor, accept packages for hikers, ship gear home for them without charging for the service, and do everything possible to get repeat customers. We operate on the principle that the ONLY way to stay afloat in this business is to have repeat business.

Perhaps I don't actually work in the outfitting industry. On the other hand, perhaps I do.

Nope. That was sarcasm you didn't need.

Ultimately you'll find what works best for you through trial and error. The 520s may do the trick once they've been broken in properly. My guess is that it will be a trail runner with a beefier insole to take care of that end of the day agony.

Then again, some might accuse me of just trying to sell you insoles . . .

grizzly mattams
06-09-2009, 17:34
Hey if you are getting blisters on back of your feet it MAY be from an aftermarket insole. Asolo fugitive has a very thin stock sole and by adding a new one it may be to thick and raise your foot out of the intended sole bed and creating more friction on heel.

Just a thought.

LockJaww
06-09-2009, 17:40
Snowshoe...In my short time as a member of this board something has leapt out apparent....jak excells at having conversations with her/him/it'self....I've decided to use the site's ignore feature to spare myself the incessant drivel from this point forward.....Bye jak.

mooseboy
06-09-2009, 17:40
Hikergirl, so many people here have so many contradicting opinions that you're not going to get an answer that works for you except by continuing to experiment... it took me several years to find a good footwear system, and I'm still fine-tuning (Asolo FSX 95's, some good insoles, wool socks w/liner socks-- but I have to leave the last 2 rows of eyelets unlaced, and use some tricky lacing on the rest...).

I do know that as I gradually lowered my pack weight, my soles hurt and blistered less & less at the end of the day. Still, I don't see myself getting under 35 lbs., and I know that I personally couldn't hike long distances in trail runners unless my pack were FAR less than that (I'd turn my ankle or foot on the first day)!

I think you've made a good choice with Asolo... may I suggest a pair of insoles, and getting creative with your lacing techniques? (Toes too tight? Skip the last grommet. Need more tightness on a certain rung? Use a surgeon's knot.) Fine-tune until you find your nirvana. :)

leeki pole
06-09-2009, 18:11
My high-heels post notwithstanding (that's a big word for a dumb Southern redneck) you must first of all wear good socks and a liner sock. Get your shoes a half to a size too big from normal. Feet will swell and sweat. Too small is a recipe for disaster. Keep your feet dry as possible. Keep your nails trimmed short and straight across.
I'm talking from 30,000 miles in my running and hiking log, so I think I know a little bit about feet and shoes. Lace accordingly as to terrain. Especially tight across the instep on steep downhills but loose in the toebox.

Jester2000
06-09-2009, 19:03
My high-heels post notwithstanding (that's a big word for a dumb Southern redneck) you must first of all wear good socks and a liner sock. Get your shoes a half to a size too big from normal. Feet will swell and sweat. Too small is a recipe for disaster. Keep your feet dry as possible. Keep your nails trimmed short and straight across.
I'm talking from 30,000 miles in my running and hiking log, so I think I know a little bit about feet and shoes. Lace accordingly as to terrain. Especially tight across the instep on steep downhills but loose in the toebox.

This is great advice, though I must say that I only run when something is chasing me.

hikergirl1120
06-09-2009, 21:11
Hey if you are getting blisters on back of your feet it MAY be from an aftermarket insole. Asolo fugitive has a very thin stock sole and by adding a new one it may be to thick and raise your foot out of the intended sole bed and creating more friction on heel.

Just a thought.

you know .... I am using superfeet...maybe that's it....maybe I will try with out them....good call!!

snowhoe
06-09-2009, 21:27
you know .... I am using superfeet...maybe that's it....maybe I will try with out them....good call!!

Super feet kill my feet. I bought some and went hiking from davenport to hot springs and I think I would rather hike with no shoes on then use the super feet. That could really be the problem.

RedneckRye
06-09-2009, 22:12
Wow, what an amazing range of response. Some solid suggestions all the way thru the spectrum to complete gibberish.
Try different things with your boots - lacing, socks, insoles, more break in, etc.
Eventually you may decide that the 520's aren't the ones, maybe a lighter boot, maybe a solid walking shoe, maybe a cushy trail runner is the correct choice.

This is great advice, though I must say that I only run when something is chasing me.

If you do look back to see Jester chasing you, don't worry. He's probably just bringing you a Yeungling.

kanga
06-10-2009, 07:26

for some people that's not the answer. i wore liner socks for years because that's what was always recommended to me. i still got blisters. i never went hiking without a supply of moleskin. somebody finally suggested to me that i drop the liner socks. i did, and saw an immediate decrease in blisters. like i said, everybody's feet are different.

JAK
06-10-2009, 07:39
Try a lighter pack and trail shoes.

JAK
06-10-2009, 07:41
... and trust no one that wants to sell you a hiking boot.

JAK
06-10-2009, 08:36
The energy cost of weight on feet is equivalent to 6 pounds on the hips for each 1 pound on the feet and ankles. Size 10 Asolo 520's weigh 2 pounds 12 oz, vs 24 oz for trail runners. Thus an extra 20oz, not counting additional sock and sweat. The equivalent weight for energy expenditure is 7.5 pounds. For a 165 pound hiker carrying 22.5 pounds on average this is 4%, which means losing 0.5 miles every 12 miles.

When are hiking boots neccessary? Perhaps if someone is overweight, and still insists on carrying a 35 pound pack, and still has the energy and desire to hike agressively in rugged and tangled terrain. Yet I am overweight and sometimes carry as much as 35 pounds when hiking in winter or with my daughter, and the Fundy Footpath is very rugged, and I often find myself bushwacking. I have not had the need for hiking boots, or hiking sticks for that matter. I do see people with them. I do like my soft leather ankle boots sometimes, and a wooden hiking staff. My boots weigh 2 pounds in size 12. They don't have much traction but I might try a new outer sole. They are just leather, with no padding to absorb water. They fit me well, and I do like the way they manage water and the extra protection from sticks and roots around the ankle when bushwacking. Leather gaitors could do the same I suppose.

When are hiking boots neccessary? If you are not going off-trail, but still might have to be able to jump and land on rocks and stuff now and then, then maybe if you are carrying 175% or more of your lean body weight, in body fat, clothing, gear, and food. For myself my lean body weight is as low as 150 pounds. If I was overweight at 225 pounds, which I have been hiking, and carrying an additional 50 pounds skin out, which I would rather not, then maybe hiking boots. That would be 275 pounds, or 183% of my lean body weight. On the Fundy Footpath that would be a struggle for me. I'm not sure why I would want to do that if I had alternatives. I did it once that way though. Once.

Now I try and do it at about 205 pounds plus 20 pounds of gear, or about 150% of my lean body weight, and it is very pleasant. I suppose it would be almost as pleasant in hiking boots, but my light leather ankle boots or trail runners are more pleasant. I can also grab a wooden stick now and then if I want to slow down and strike a cool pose now and then, or keep time with it, or use it for balance now and then. I can't see the reason for hiking boots. Historically, mountaineering maybe, lumberjacking yeah I can see that, but for hiking and hill climbing I think heavy hiking boots have always been more fashion than function. There is a long tradition of outfitting city people for the outdoors with stuff they don't need, and stuff which in fact makes things more difficult. This goes back at least 120 years, probably much longer.

OldStormcrow
06-10-2009, 15:44
I haven't tried my Asolo Fugitives without the Superfeet. I guess that's because they saved my feet in my Vasque Clarions and my Merrills, which are both overly wide and flat as Kansas inside. I've about developed a flinch when it comes to the Fugitives, but I will try them one more time....without the Superfeet.

gregp
06-14-2009, 19:28
This has been a very interesting and informative thread.

I too am in the market for a new pair of boots/shoes as I have finally given up on my Timberlands. They are torture to wear and rub blisters on my feet whenever given the chance. Today, I decided to wrap my heels in duct tape (two layers) and low and behold, I got blisters on my pinky toes. I've put about 30 miles on these torture devices and now it's time to put them to rest. I may take them out back and shoot them for a little payback.

Jak has actually gotten my attention as far as trying trailrunning shoes. However, I doubt they'd be good for winter.

It seems as though there is no solid year round, all terrain answer to the problem.

I went shopping after my hike this morning and tried on a pair of Vasque Breeze boots. These fit perfectly and were really comfortable. I decided to hold off on purchasing them because I hadn't done an internet search for reviews on them. Turns out, a lot of folks think they don't hold up very well and they weren't very water proof. For $150 that's a big issue with me.

I hoped to find answers to this problem here but am left with more questions. Trial and error seems to be the only option.

kanga
06-14-2009, 19:51
i wear mine year round..

SassyWindsor
06-19-2009, 18:17
I currently own, not one, but several pairs of the "Gear of the Year" Trail-shoes: Vasque, Montrail, North Face. Have hiked many miles in each pair. The only problem is my feet, ankles, lower legs and back feel like crap after each trip in them. I have gone back to wearing one of several pairs of boots: (all top of the line) Fabiano's(Scarpa), Asolo's, or Raichle's. I have thousands of enjoyable miles in them and all have been resoled at least once. On yea, it helps if you have a close relative that owns a gear store.

Jester2000
06-19-2009, 18:42
. . .The only problem is my feet, ankles, lower legs and back feel like crap after each trip in them. . .

I had this problem as well and I realized it was due to all of that walking nonsense. I've knocked that off and now I feel great.

skinewmexico
06-19-2009, 21:26
Do you walk on the insides of your feet? That's what superfeet are made to correct, or so I've heard.