PDA

View Full Version : What, and how do you plan?

Wo~Wo
06-08-2009, 10:56
For hikes in general, where do you start planning? Perhaps thinking long-term hikes, thru-hikes, may yield better results. Do you start by planning where you're going to hike, time, gear, food, logistics? How do you folks go about planning?

Many Walks
06-08-2009, 11:17
For hikes in general, where do you start planning? Perhaps thinking long-term hikes, thru-hikes, may yield better results. Do you start by planning where you're going to hike, time, gear, food, logistics? How do you folks go about planning?
Yes, in that order. Time of year with location will help you determine expected weather conditions and gear requirements. Start with shorter hikes working your way up to long distance hikes as you gain experience.

snowhoe
06-08-2009, 11:21
I usally start where I would like to start my hike at. How far do I want to go, what time of year would be best, and then do I have the right amount of time. I then try and do any research from the internet and local hiking shops. I then try to get my food ideas ready. If there is a recipe that I am not sure how it will work out on the trail I make it at home a couple of times first. I then see if I have all the RIGHT gear for the hike I am going to do. If its a short hike then I plan kinda heavy more luxuarys. Long hike kinda skin and boned. Try and go light.

Gray Blazer
06-08-2009, 11:50
I keep my stuff packed and ready to go at a moment's notice.

harryfred
06-08-2009, 12:05
I love to walk and I love to explore. Where I go usually starts with a story of old ruins, historic roads, particular vistas or rock formations. I use maps and knowledge of how fast I normally can move. I can go faster in the spring or fall than in the summer or winter. I always have several hikes laid out for half a day to three days. Give me 1hr and a quick trip to Walmart and I'm gone. For a day hike I'm ready now.
Short Sunday afternoon building to day hikes showed me what I was capable of and how I like to hike (told you I love to explore)
Gear I started out with list from web sites like this and adjusted from there based on my needs I realized I never use binoculars my one buddy can't make a lap in a park without them. Ask the people on this site what you should take and what they actually take and you will get very different list Note I take what I can afford my pack for five days weighs 40lbs. with three liters of water and too much food I could cut that weight in half but it would cost me at least $400. do the best you can and go with what you got but lighter is better. Make your own cat can stove for warm weather you can't beat them.
Maps of the AT from ATC are wonderful they show most of the trails in a give area even if they don't cross the AT use web sites for State and Federal parks and forests.
NOTHING will teach you more about hiking then hiking So get out there:sun

10-K
06-08-2009, 12:56

Good question. Think "Food, clothing, shelter". It helps to have a "Plan B" for everything you can't directly provide for yourself but this isn't always possible.

I generally consider the weather, how far I'm going to be hiking, how long it's likely to take and what my off trail options are (shower, food, whatever). From this I can figure out how much food to carry, what kind of clothes to take and everything else I need to fill in the gaps. Planning for a hike is fun and not difficult.

None of this is exceptionally challenging except as I get further north and further from my home base I'm starting to sweat shuttles.

highfisher
06-08-2009, 14:01
I probably over plan all my trips, but that is the fun of it, seaching for the right piece of gear the perfect recipe,map,campsight,ect.. it's all the prep work that makes the hike an adventure for me any way, but, my first thu hike was mostly by accident and dumb luck. I know, I know, How can somebody hike the AT by accident? Well let me tell ya, in the mid 80s the work in texas was slow and a friend in NC said to come up there,so I did but only got to atlanta,truck blew up so started hiking couple good ole boys picked me up asked if i was a hiker Ithought the question was strange since I had everything I owned on my back, but said yes,theytook me to the TH and then explained about the AT! Both were hikers and gave mesome old gear, maps, contact # in NC where they mailed my tools I had with me so I could pick them up if I decided to stop. So my accidental ADVENTURE began, 25 pocket full of money and free as a bird ~~6 mo later 25 empty pocket and free as a bird with sore feet but wouldn't trade it for anything!!!I know now Iwas lucky and why i do the homework now, but as harryfred says:NOTHING will teach you more about hiking then hiking So get out there:sun
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/statusicon/user_online.gif http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/report.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/report.php?p=850686)
!

Plodderman
06-08-2009, 14:08
Now that I am section hiking the AT it is pretty easy to plan the trip. Usually start hiking a lot about four months before trip and ordering maps and reading about the area. Checking into shuttle services and shelters along the trail. Then I try to set a goal of miles each day and section out the food and water sources.

Usually I like to hike the end of May and beginning of June so I pick a place that works for my time schedule.

CowHead
06-08-2009, 14:09
yes i'm moving out of the 50 mile range and heading to the 100 mile mark, by next year I want to do a 250 miler

pattydivins
06-08-2009, 16:11
I am going straight for a 600 mile one, lol

mweinstone
06-08-2009, 16:32
simplify your home life . stop useing heat. get used to lots of clothes and lower temps. buy gear and read catalogs and use this site and others. dont go anywhere yet. take baths not showers. wash your clothes by hand in the tub in your bath water and hang them in your liveing room. hikeing needs to take you over. get rid of every thing not survival or art or music related. instead of new chairs get every filter and collect gear. be nuts. loose your non hikeing friends. drop out and tune in. wait, no. dont. go back. i take back everything. i only have one peice of advise. no, ill stick with this.

Dogwood
06-08-2009, 17:31

Good question as some can feel overwhelmed on where and how to start planning.

I think some of it depends on who you are and how well you know yourself. For me, I make connecting with the wilderness through hiking a priority in my life. I'm willing to juggle a great many things in my life and eliminate wasting time and resources that could be better spent in order to hike long distances. If I'm not out for at least a week or 80 miles I feel I've just not gotten enough of what I want out of hiking. I want to make my life less complex, get away from the busyness of everyday life, and quiet my mind so I can heed the callings of my soul when I hike. I tell you all this because organizing a long distance thru-hike is a bit more involved than planning for weekend getaways. I'm a long distance thru-hiker at heart.

But, I think my planning a hike closely follows the order that you described. I first find a place, trail, or route that interests me. Next, I start to think about when or what time of yr. I want to do that specific hike. At that point, I figure out what kind of gear I need for the conditions I will most likely experience. While I'm amassing my gear I'm also stocking up on trail food at the same time. Now, I get into the logistics of resupply. I'm a bit fussy as to what I eat so I tend to mail myself resupply boxes with food, gear, fuel, maps, etc. I also like to familarize myself with the route ahead of time and make notes on specific sites I don't want to miss or people I want to see along the way.

After all the planning I do, I never forget, that I must be adaptable, spontaneous at times, because conditions change. While I'm hiking I make the choice to focus on why I chose to enjoy this specific hike and how grateful I am to be able to be experiencing this way of life that is so out of the cultural norm.

Lone Wolf
06-08-2009, 17:38

it was less than 9 months from the time i started to think about the AT to starting in GA. i called the ATC and ordered a Data Book and Philosophers Guide. (the original handbook) i looked them over and figured i didn't need to do any mail drops. then got the maps. then started buying gear. then i took a train to GA and startin' walkin' north. it's really that simple most all folks way over-plan. and usually end up quittin'

Grampie
06-08-2009, 17:45
it was less than 9 months from the time i started to think about the AT to starting in GA. i called the ATC and ordered a Data Book and Philosophers Guide. (the original handbook) i looked them over and figured i didn't need to do any mail drops. then got the maps. then started buying gear. then i took a train to GA and startin' walkin' north. it's really that simple most all folks way over-plan. and usually end up quittin'

Like 80% 0f them. Don't plan , just do it.

Lone Wolf
06-08-2009, 17:49

and this was before the internet and all it's cyberhikin' know-it-alls and before all the videos and journal books and such. walkin' the trail just takes time, money and good good health. people make it too complicated. most are too anal about it

Mags
06-08-2009, 17:55
Some maps, the appropriate data/guide book (if appropriate/necessary) maybe a permit, 5 days of food and I am good-to-go. Anything else is gravy.