PDA

View Full Version : 3 day hike in north GA and NC area.

Chug
06-08-2009, 16:30
trying to find a new place to go, next week, preferably a loop, with good swimming but also still in the mountains. already done the standing indian loop,

does anyone know much about the hiking trails near tallulah gorge and the trail that goes to lake tugaloo from there? i have heard of it but cannot remember the name.

so i am leaning toward the talulah/chattooga area. already done parts of the bartram and foothills trail. also open to ideas in the smokies but its a good drive.

Gray Blazer
06-09-2009, 11:02
trying to find a new place to go, next week, preferably a loop, with good swimming but also still in the mountains. already done the standing indian loop,

does anyone know much about the hiking trails near tallulah gorge and the trail that goes to lake tugaloo from there? i have heard of it but cannot remember the name.

so i am leaning toward the talulah/chattooga area. already done parts of the bartram and foothills trail. also open to ideas in the smokies but its a good drive.

There's a few swimming holes in the Smokies. One that is near the AT is on the trail from Big Creek to Walnut Bottoms called the Midnight Hole. Lots of cool possibilities for three day hikes in that area with streams, swimming, firetowers on summits, rafting and AT hiking.

When you do that Gorge Trail make sure you give us a report.

Chug
06-09-2009, 16:18
There's a few swimming holes in the Smokies. One that is near the AT is on the trail from Big Creek to Walnut Bottoms called the Midnight Hole. Lots of cool possibilities for three day hikes in that area with streams, swimming, firetowers on summits, rafting and AT hiking.

When you do that Gorge Trail make sure you give us a report.
thanks! do you know of any other swimming holes in the smokies? any experience fishing there?

mister krabs
06-09-2009, 16:25
How about the cohutta wilderness? Lots of rivers, lots of opportunities for loops, maybe not swimming in a pool, but plenty of opportunities for splashing in the rivers.

Chug
06-09-2009, 16:37
How about the cohutta wilderness? Lots of rivers, lots of opportunities for loops, maybe not swimming in a pool, but plenty of opportunities for splashing in the rivers.
definitely thought about that, especially the jacks river trail. i don't have a vehicle right now, and my friend is coming to pick me up, i live closer to the northeast corner than i do the cohutta area.

max patch
06-09-2009, 16:44
One of my fav day hikes is to start at Lake Winfield Scott, take a blue blaze to the AT, hike north on the AT, and then take a different blue blaze back to LWS. LWS has a sandy beach and a great swimming area with a dock out in the lake. Makes for a refreshing drive home, esp in the summer.

Nearly Normal
06-09-2009, 19:37
Panthertown. You need the guide.
Close to Cashiers NC.
Several places to wallow in, great falls, cold.
Did I mention cold.
The devils elbow is a good spot.