PDA

View Full Version : Must see places MD/PA

ReaDy2G0
06-08-2009, 19:59
Im doing a section hike from the ATC up to mid PA, and was wondering if anyone could give some tips as to places to see or stop, or even places to avoid

Wags
06-08-2009, 23:22
good shelters in the southern 1/2 of PA. most right by a creek or run

water is running well from pennmar to 325. dunno about north of that

boiling springs is a nice friendly hiker town, as is duncannon. the walk b/t the 2 is long and across some open fields. this will be a hot, exposed walk. check for ticks diligently that night, as you pass across a bunch of farm fields where the trail is about 6 inches wide and your legs just rub across field grasses for an extended period of time

you'll likely enjoy the views and scenery from cove mnt, just south of duncannon (and 1st taste of the susquehanna river) all the way north (pulpit rocks and the pinnacle)

be wary of rattlesnakes from duncannon, north

emerald
06-08-2009, 23:29
What one person wouldn't miss for the world, another would avoid like the plague. What are your interests, motivations and expectations for your AT journey?

ReaDy2G0
06-10-2009, 19:57
I just hope to see some great nature. From trees to wildlife and everything in between. I dont plan on killing myself during the days so I will have time afforded to stick around at nicer points or take side trails to see other things that are off the trail. I have no expectations or limitations as to what I do in my hike other than put one foot in front of the other and have a good time. Other than that let the chips fall where they may.

Jeff
06-10-2009, 20:37
Free State Hiker Hostel halfway thru MD is a fantastic stopover. Maybe a little pricey, but clean and well appointed.

emerald
06-10-2009, 21:03
I just hope to see some great nature. From trees to wildlife and everything in between.

I suggest you read Appalachian Spring (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34664) for some hints as to what you might see and please contribute your own observations or images. It was meant to be a thread for hikers like yourself to share what they see and experience with others.

Take a journal, your camera, time to experience fully your surroundings and enjoy yourself!

emerald
06-10-2009, 21:11
Pose your question to people familiar with it when you arrive and as you explore. You are sure to get some great answers.

Visit ATC and thank them for all they do. You might even volunteer a few hours of your time.

The scenery from the high ground and in town is remarkable. Don't miss Jefferson Rock.

emerald
06-10-2009, 21:24
Your visit to Ed Garvey (http://www.aldha.org/garvey.htm) Shelter will mean more to you if you know something about the man for whom it's named. Ed completed the AT in 1970 and wrote a book about his experience.

You may not have time enough to learn much more about him than what I just wrote before you depart, but take the time to learn about him upon your return and read his book when you can. He was an inspiration to many.

Ghost93
03-07-2010, 03:55
Some great places not to miss off the AT (either by blue blazed trail of a side trail entirely) in MD and PA are (south to north) are

Weaverton Cliffs (great views to the Potomaic River and Harpers Ferry to the West)
Annapolis Rocks (.25 mi from the AT and great views South along South Mtn. On a clear day you can see all the way down toward Front Royal)
There is a rock outcropping a about 2 mi south of Wolfsville Rd ontop of South Mtn.
its an easternly view of Plesnet Valley, should be labeled on the PATC Md map.
Raven Rocks is a short distance off the trail

In PA don't miss chimeny rocks (it's a blue blaze trail to the right on top of the mtn just north of Old Forge Rd.)

If you up to cut off some of the trail for better scenery, bypass Long Pine Mtn (i think its the name of the Mtn N or Caladonia SP) to see Long Pine Resivor. Its a nice diversion to the long green tunnel and its one of my favorite places along the AT in southern PA. From the AT appx 1.5 mi north of Caladonia SP stay of Gap Trail (yellow balzed) to the lake. Turn LEFT onto the Milesburn Rd (dirt road). Follow for appx 100 yds and turn right onto Birch Run Road. Follow for appx 200 ft and turn right onto Beaver Tr around the lake. You'll cross the Birch Run Road again (dirt road) and hop on the YELLOW blazed trail across the rd (Its called Rocky Knob Tr) I advise is to stay left and go up the mtn that way. There's not much of a view on the right side of the loop. Just make sure to look at the map and keep an eye out for blazes for the right handed turn (the PATC map no. 2-3). This tr. will take you back to the AT and appx. 1 mi south of Brich Run Shelter.

Another great place is Sunrise Rocks about 2 mi south of Pine Grove SP. On the AT you'll cross Tom's Run and to your right will be a blue blazed tr. Follow it up a steep grade to the ridge and go left. You'll come to the outcroping there.

Just north of Pine Grove SP on the AT is a a great view at Pole Steeple. The side tr is north of the half way point and near the top of the Mtn. You'll see a sign to your left (if NOBO) and going down hill. Follow it appx .25 mi for a great view Sobo. Go back the way you came to get back to the AT.

All of these side sights and routes are found on the PATC maps of MD and Southern PA.

Chaos_Being
06-14-2010, 10:32
Some great places not to miss off the AT (either by blue blazed trail of a side trail entirely) in MD and PA are (south to north) are

Weaverton Cliffs (great views to the Potomaic River and Harpers Ferry to the West)
Annapolis Rocks (.25 mi from the AT and great views South along South Mtn. On a clear day you can see all the way down toward Front Royal)
There is a rock outcropping a about 2 mi south of Wolfsville Rd ontop of South Mtn.
its an easternly view of Plesnet Valley, should be labeled on the PATC Md map.
Raven Rocks is a short distance off the trail

In PA don't miss chimeny rocks (it's a blue blaze trail to the right on top of the mtn just north of Old Forge Rd.)

If you up to cut off some of the trail for better scenery, bypass Long Pine Mtn (i think its the name of the Mtn N or Caladonia SP) to see Long Pine Resivor. Its a nice diversion to the long green tunnel and its one of my favorite places along the AT in southern PA. From the AT appx 1.5 mi north of Caladonia SP stay of Gap Trail (yellow balzed) to the lake. Turn LEFT onto the Milesburn Rd (dirt road). Follow for appx 100 yds and turn right onto Birch Run Road. Follow for appx 200 ft and turn right onto Beaver Tr around the lake. You'll cross the Birch Run Road again (dirt road) and hop on the YELLOW blazed trail across the rd (Its called Rocky Knob Tr) I advise is to stay left and go up the mtn that way. There's not much of a view on the right side of the loop. Just make sure to look at the map and keep an eye out for blazes for the right handed turn (the PATC map no. 2-3). This tr. will take you back to the AT and appx. 1 mi south of Brich Run Shelter.

Another great place is Sunrise Rocks about 2 mi south of Pine Grove SP. On the AT you'll cross Tom's Run and to your right will be a blue blazed tr. Follow it up a steep grade to the ridge and go left. You'll come to the outcroping there.

Just north of Pine Grove SP on the AT is a a great view at Pole Steeple. The side tr is north of the half way point and near the top of the Mtn. You'll see a sign to your left (if NOBO) and going down hill. Follow it appx .25 mi for a great view Sobo. Go back the way you came to get back to the AT.

All of these side sights and routes are found on the PATC maps of MD and Southern PA.

Those all sound like good places to see. I've been looking for places to do some dayhikes nearby, and most of these locales had popped up. I did go to Annapolis Rocks earlier in the year and it is indeed a nice view, although the area was quite busy with other hikers (on Easter Sunday, even.)

I've been way to busy lately and am getting the urge to do some hiking soon (probably after my my brother in law's wedding in two weeks.) Hopefully we can get some cool weekends, all of the cooler weather has been in the middle of the week lately!

ki0eh
06-14-2010, 10:54
I've been looking for places to do some dayhikes nearby...

You might be interested in http://www.midatlantichikes.com/ if you haven't discovered this resource already. There is also some info on hiking spots near Harrisburg on http://www.satc-hike.org/hikemap.html but this second link isn't as direct (or as competitive with the organization publishied hiking maps :) ) as MRHyker's site.

english
11-22-2010, 23:57
Although Annapolis Rocks have spectacular views, alot of the campground is currently fenced off for reforestation and campfires are not allowed; something to consider if you intend to camp here through winter.

jersey joe
11-23-2010, 11:25
Ironically, some of my favorite places in PA were where the power lines crossed the trail and cut through the landscape. They at least provided some good views in a state where views are few and far between.

RETCW4
11-24-2010, 21:27
Your visit to Ed Garvey (http://www.aldha.org/garvey.htm) Shelter will mean more to you if you know something about the man for whom it's named. Ed completed the AT in 1970 and wrote a book about his experience.

You may not have time enough to learn much more about him than what I just wrote before you depart, but take the time to learn about him upon your return and read his book when you can. He was an inspiration to many.

I have two of his books : "Appalachian Hiker II" and "The New Appalachain Hiker II". They started the fire in me 20 years ago that will be fulfilled in 2011 when I attempt my thru-hike.

Tumbleweed

Wise Old Owl
11-24-2010, 22:47
Excellent posts by all - yes water is great and lots of shelter,

Avoid the KOA in Harpers Ferry, although unlikely you would go there, it is NOT for tenters. Best for Travel Trailers and Winnies.

Grampie
11-25-2010, 12:17
I have talked to mant thru-hikers who never stopped to see the world famous spring at Boiling Springs, PA. Don't pass it up.:)

laser58
01-04-2011, 21:50
In reference to 'Ghost93's to Chimney Rocks overlook; I just got done making a sign for 'Chimney Rocks' with an arrow pointing the way. Should have it up in Feb - March 2011. My partner and I became overseers of this 3 mile section ~ 2 years ago and last year we replaced the A.T. N/S sign. There was no other sign up till now, just the blue blazes. Am sure more hikers will notice and opt to take a much needed break after the 1000 ft ascent up the mountain. The NOBO's that is ....

If you don't know where you are going, life will decide for you ....

elray
01-04-2011, 22:04
I agree with you JerseyJoe, not many views in Pa and those power line clear cuts are a wonderful place to lie in the sun on a warm day.

horicon
01-05-2011, 10:22
Rocks of PA.

Jack Tarlin
01-05-2011, 12:18
If you have the time, I would try and visit both Antietam and Gettysburg, both of which are close to the Trail.

long island bob
05-25-2011, 16:28
If you have the time, I would try and visit both Antietam and Gettysburg, both of which are close to the Trail.

If you are going to visit Gettysburg (which is about 10 miles off the trail) without a car, then it might be worth it to take the 2-hour horse tour ($75.00.)

You can camp at Artillery Ridge (where the horse tours begin) but it's a little like a KOA. http://www.artilleryridge.com/campind.html

~Bob

Beachcomber
05-25-2011, 17:14
And if you're interested in that sort of thing, consider road-walking from Harper's Ferry to Sharpsburg. That's exactly what one Confederate army corps did to arrive, late, in just the nick of time to save Lee from being completely routed by McClellan. Can give you some appreciation for how close a thing certain crucial historic moments were ... and how much hinged on worn-out infantrymen willing to double-time 20 or 30 miles in a day.