PDA

View Full Version : maryland segment

gumball
06-29-2004, 12:45
We are scheduled to hike the short maryland segment of the AT in the next week, and were wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for us:

>how frequently is water available to filter on this segment?
>is there any parking near the Rocky Run shelter area?

Thanks!

bunbun
06-29-2004, 13:09
We are scheduled to hike the short maryland segment of the AT in the next week, and were wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for us:

Thanks!

Try this --
http://www.aldha.org/companyn/wv-pa04.pdf

Go to page 6 of 27 (page 92 of the Companion)

Maryland is generally well watered.

Parking at Turner Gap about a mile north of Rocky Run. Check the Data Book for exact numbers.

Have a good trip - it's a nice section.

cryptobrian
06-29-2004, 17:25

Thanks!
Water is quite readily available. Definately follow the suggestions to take a look at the trail guides and maps as they will point out water sources. There are plenty and about the only one I had trouble with was PenMar ... out of the spigot it made both me and my hiking companion sick.

Here is a link to maps/journal/pictures from my hike of this section last year.

http://www.stinkypigs.com/BackPacking/AppalachianTrail/MarylandSection/default.htm

Brian

gumball
06-30-2004, 05:44
Thanks for the references and information--hopefully the rain will hold off a little bit. Appreciate it! :sun

Crash
06-30-2004, 08:28

Filter Maryland's spring water??
If you get it right at the source there's no need to filter it. the trick is you wash your hands first. I went thru MD last year and did not filter once.

You can park at Washington Monument about 3 miles north of there. there ranger station is near that parking lot and they keep a good eye on things there. Sign the register @ the parking lot. I also went to the station and spoke to the rangers so they had an idea of where and when I was coming back.