PDA

View Full Version : Where is the pack

10-K
06-09-2009, 12:45
So, what section of the AT currently (June 9, 2009) has the greatest concentration of thrus?

Where's the front / back of the pack?

Manwich
06-09-2009, 12:50
Dusty Camels Summited Katahdin (They begin February 1st)

Saw a couple northbounders at RPH on Saturday / Sunday.

Ridge Rat
06-09-2009, 13:03
According to a couple of thru-hikers I met saturday at the doyle, they said that the tip of the Pack was about a week behind them. So My guess would be front royal'ish today and I have no idea how spread out the pack is this year. Last year it was huge coming through PA. I met Thru hikers in Mass quantities for about a month between mid-june through mid july

Speer Carrier
06-09-2009, 13:16
I just got back from hiking Daleville, VA to Front Royal. We encountered maybe 25-30 thru hikers in the SNP. Most of those would be anywhere from Harper's Ferry to Duncannon by now. Many of these had gotten off the trail, and gone to Trail Days, and got back on just short of SNP. As a general rule these folks had started at Springer anywhere from mid March to late March.

sly dog
06-09-2009, 13:19
I did 160 miles last week and I saw around 20 or just over in SNP. I had lunch with a couple in Skyland and they think they are between 2 bubbles. It seems like most are now getting into PA but I think the party crowd is now in SNP. The thru hikers I talked to took only a couple or no 0 days by the time they got to SNP so this tells me the crowds that hit towns (party crowd) are a week or so behind the hikers I met.

Red Hat
06-09-2009, 13:30
What they said, masses around SNP, front runners in New England, slow goers around Pearisburg. If you want to meet bunches, head towards Harpers Ferry in the next few weeks.

Monkeywrench
06-09-2009, 16:59
I left Springer 3/18, have taken 13 zeros (includes 10 days off for the birth of grandson #2), and am in Front Royal right now. There are plenty of hikers both ahead of and behind me, though I don't know if that puts me in the middle of the pack or not.

10-K
06-09-2009, 17:17
I left Springer 3/18, have taken 13 zeros (includes 10 days off for the birth of grandson #2), and am in Front Royal right now. There are plenty of hikers both ahead of and behind me, though I don't know if that puts me in the middle of the pack or not.

I'm hoping everyone will be in PA next month to keep the rattlesnakes off the trail. :)