PDA

View Full Version : February start

AggieAl
06-09-2009, 14:40
How bad is the likely weather in the south. I am planning to start a thruhike on February 16, 2010. Has anyone else started this early? Is it worth waiting 2-3 weeks?

I am planning a thru hike for 2010 and due to job requirements I have limited time to do this. I have to finish no later than August 13, 2010.

Lyle
06-09-2009, 15:06
Folks start January 1st, so it isn't unheard of. You will need to be prepared for winter conditions, probably will need some extra cash to hole-up in town during the worst of the storms. Good zero degree bag.

You have any experience with winter/snow backpacking?

Chug
06-09-2009, 16:22
How bad is the likely weather in the south. I am planning to start a thruhike on February 16, 2010. Has anyone else started this early? Is it worth waiting 2-3 weeks?

I am planning a thru hike for 2010 and due to job requirements I have limited time to do this. I have to finish no later than August 13, 2010.

i just did 700 miles this season, starting march 1st at springer. I met several folks who started earilier, some on feb 10, one on jan 28, among others. waiting 2-3 weeks would not really get you out of the cold. there is going to be plenty of cold weather after march, however it is not unbearable with moderate gear knowledge and the generous AT 'infrastructure' (though many services are not at full speed this early, fontanta area for example).

my personal opinion would be to start as early as possible so you are not rushed. if you get to new england too early it can get miserable, others can chime in on that, as i dont know the details.

bigcranky
06-09-2009, 16:31
Agree with Chug -- waiting 2-3 weeks doesn't do anything as far as cold weather is concerned.

Winter in the South is funny. It can be 70F and sunny one day, then turn around and dump some single-digit temps and a blizzard the next. On average I would say to expect cold nights (sub-20) and cool to cold days (highs in the 30s to 50s to start). I would definitely bring my winter sleeping bag and winter clothing for a mid-February start. Expect snow at the higher elevations. Expect to spend an extra day or two in town on occasion, to let the worst stuff blow through. But expect nice weather to balance it out. It's a great time to be on the Trail.

ChinMusic
06-09-2009, 16:47
As others have stated, you can have great weather in Feb and crappy weather in March. Feb obviously is statistically colder. You have to be prepared either way.

For a REAL early start, I would think it best to plan on some down time. If the weather reports are nutzo, hole up and wait it out. But that can happen in March as well.

stranger
06-10-2009, 03:57
I left March 2nd 1995 and we had amazing weather, it only got down below zero twice that I remember, we had no snow or even substantial rain.

Last year I left April 9th and it was snowing at Dicks Creek Gap a few days later, it was also snowing in the Smokies towards the end of April and Newfound Gap was an ice rink the day I left Gatlinburg.

You just never know, but obviously, the earlier you start the more cold you are going to have to deal with, but it's done every single year so go for it!

The Solemates
06-10-2009, 09:52
we started 1 feb 2004. we had tons of snow that year....one storm dumped over 14 inches in a single 36 hour period. there were drifts over 3 feet. we had 2-3 nights below 0, about 2 weeks worth of nights in the single digits, and nearly a month and a half worth of nights below freezing. be glad to help with any specific questions/advice....

ShelterLeopard
07-03-2009, 01:40
I'm starting February 23- maybe I'll see you there! (Probably you'll end up ahead of me, but if you want to delay a week, then I'll see you in Georgia!) I'm going because I want snow though, so if you don't, you may want to reconsider.