PDA

View Full Version : Disc Golf and the AT

MyName1sMud
06-10-2009, 11:04
I did a search of the forum and couldnt find any posts about people actually playing on the trail. Found some posts with people talking about playing but not actually playing on the trail.

I was wondering if there was any courses on the way up that would be worth bringing along one of my KC Pro Rocs. I am a big time disc golfer and that's probably the thing I would miss the most with being on the trail. DISC GOLF:o

Dogwood
06-10-2009, 11:24
I have no idea about disc golf availabilty on the AT, but if you ever hike the PCT make sure you play a round of disc golf with the Andersons in Cali. Never forget it!

MyName1sMud
06-10-2009, 11:59
I have no idea about disc golf availabilty on the AT, but if you ever hike the PCT make sure you play a round of disc golf with the Andersons in Cali. Never forget it!

I would like to do the PCT but as I've lived in the East my whole life I figure I should do the AT first. Then worry with the AT next.

MyName1sMud
06-10-2009, 11:59
EDIT FOR ABOVE POST ***Then worry with the PCT next*****

RedneckRye
06-10-2009, 13:38
If you've lived in the east your whole life, why not go west and check out the PCT first?
Anyhow, couldn't you turn Maryland into 1 really long hole? Maybe a par 13000? Start at the WV border and finish by hitting the mileage sign at Pen-Mar park.
Just a thought.

Tennessee Viking
06-10-2009, 13:56
There is a course down in the town of Roan Mountain next to the post office.

Then there is one in Johnson City TN at Winged Deer Park. And one at Warriors Path state park in Kingsport TN. I think Elizabethton TN has one.

MyName1sMud
06-10-2009, 14:34
There is a course down in the town of Roan Mountain next to the post office.

Then there is one in Johnson City TN at Winged Deer Park. And one at Warriors Path state park in Kingsport TN. I think Elizabethton TN has one.

and these are all easily walked to from the trail?

Rockhound
06-10-2009, 16:02
Can you not create your own course anywhere you happen to be? 4 of us tossed the bee around at Abingdon gap shelter the other day. Had a great time.

mlkelley
06-10-2009, 16:08
I only made it as far as Catawba last year, so I can't speak for anything north of there. There is a sweet course at Fontana Village. 18 holes, big rubber mats for tee boxes, good signage. You can rent discs there. For $5 you get a shark, a firebird or teebird (can't remember which) and an aviar, in a small bag. There's also a basket behind Mountain Crossings. Take the Roc. I'm gonna take mine next time!

Rockhound
06-10-2009, 16:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_OmnP527Dw How golf was born

trailangelmary
06-10-2009, 16:33
We played a form of it last year at the Billville Hiker Feed in Duncannon. Used bicycle hoops as targets!

MyName1sMud
06-10-2009, 16:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_OmnP527Dw How golf was born

can't open youtube at work. site is blocked.

but i am guessing you posted a video about Steady Ed ?

I actually own 2 of the Steady Ed Memorial discs with his Ashes in the plastic

Lillianp
06-10-2009, 16:54
That was actually a clip from Robin Williams Live on Broadway talking about Scots and the creation of *regular* golf. Funny bit.

MyName1sMud
06-10-2009, 17:00
That was actually a clip from Robin Williams Live on Broadway talking about Scots and the creation of *regular* golf. Funny bit.

Oh yeah! I love that!

"oh yeah I know!!! we can call it a stroke!!! because that's what you feel like when you keep wacking away at the ball"

Tin Man
06-10-2009, 17:03
Using this week's US Open at Beth Page Black as a guide you will find that par for the AT is 38,523... if I did it right... figuring out handicaps is a whole 'nother ball of wax. Wonder how Tiger would do from the long tees on the AT? :-?

AT Miles 2 ,178
yds/mi 1 ,760
AT Yards 3 ,833,280
Beth Page Black Yardage 7 ,065
No. of Beth Pages 543
Par for Beth Page 71
Par for AT 38,523

RedneckRye
06-10-2009, 17:21
Using this week's US Open at Beth Page Black as a guide you will find that par for the AT is 38,523... if I did it right... figuring out handicaps is a whole 'nother ball of wax. Wonder how Tiger would do from the long tees on the AT? :-?

AT Miles 2 ,178
yds/mi 1 ,760
AT Yards 3 ,833,280
Beth Page Black Yardage 7 ,065
No. of Beth Pages 543
Par for Beth Page 71
Par for AT 38,523

I'm betting that Tiger can whack a Nike Ball down a fairway about 5 times further than anyone could throw a disc down the trail corridor.

Does shelter to shelter count as 1 hole? What would be the number of holes on the "course"?
Are discs even allowed in Baxter? The Smokys?

BobTheBuilder
06-10-2009, 17:46
I don't know about Frisbee golf, but I have seen alot of people playing lawn darts on the trail, at shelters, etc.

Foyt20
06-10-2009, 17:56
I'm betting that Tiger can whack a Nike Ball down a fairway about 5 times further than anyone could throw a disc down the trail corridor.

Does shelter to shelter count as 1 hole? What would be the number of holes on the "course"?

That was a good one :D

MyName1sMud
06-10-2009, 17:58
I don't know about Frisbee golf, but I have seen alot of people playing lawn darts on the trail, at shelters, etc.

I've never played Lawn Darts

Tin Man
06-10-2009, 18:01

oops, good catch... well, since the AT is as long as 543 Beth Page Golf Courses, and 18 holes per course, that would make 9,766 holes. :)

Tin Man
06-10-2009, 18:03

Discs are allowed - I just looked it up - but disc retrievers are not... unless it is a seeing eye disc retriever.

Big Dawg
06-12-2009, 08:43
LOVE disc golf, but not sure of any courses near the AT. You could always tote a portable:-?:eek:

Big Dawg
06-12-2009, 08:55
You could always tote a portable

A portable disc golf catcher.

Chaco Taco
06-12-2009, 17:47
There is a Disc Golf course at Fontana Village.
http://www.ncdiscgolfcourses.com/course.php?28

There are a few holes after the crossing at Neels Gap.

There are a ton near Asheville, Cullowhee, Mars Hill in NC. Roan Mtn has one as mentioned above.

Chaco Taco
06-12-2009, 17:49
You should make the trek into Asheville and test yourself at Richmond Hills, 18 holes of hell!!!! Rated as the toughest course in NC unless someone lied to me.

Doctari
06-12-2009, 18:26
OK, now I'm intrigued. We should come up with rules for AT Frisbee Golf.
My suggestions:
Hole #1; NOBO tee off from the plaque on Springer, first hole is the info sign right post in the parking lot. SOBO tee off from the sign, hole is the plaque. Par 44?
Hole #2; tee off from the crossing of Chester creek, the “Hole” is the sign to Long Creek Falls SOBO; hickory flats church pavilion (privy?) to the sign to Long Creek. Par 50?
Hole #3: hickory flats church pavilion to the sign for Hawk Mt shelter. Par 50?

Etc.

Tin Man
06-12-2009, 18:40
bring lots of frisbees and don't forget it's a 2-stroke penalty for lost frisbee.

Doctari
06-14-2009, 08:17
I just thought of another "Hole": NOBO: Tee off at the sign welcoming you to Damascus, the hole is the gap between the 4th & 5th step up the hill where the AT veers off the VCT to the Left. SOBO: Tee off at the base of the steps, The hole is the white blaze on the above sign.
10 stroke bonus if done during traildays, but a 20 stroke penalty for hitting someone. :p

OHHH, another one:
NOBO: Hughes Gap rd tee off, Hole is the white blaze on chimney for the old hotel. SOBO I can't think of a tee off, hole is the same.

trailangelmary
06-14-2009, 12:24
Doctari, great ideas. I love it!

Doctari
06-14-2009, 17:16
NOBO Blood Mt Shelter PRIVY to Balance rock Bull SOBO Gap to Balance rock.

NOBO Plum Orchard Shelter (side trail) Bly Gap tree. SOBO Muskrat creek shelter PRIVY to Bly Gap tree.

NOBO Mooney Gap, USFS 83 (trail) south leg of the fire tower on Albert Mt SOBO Albert Mt fire tower to 1st white blaze across USFS 83 in Moony Gap.

NOBO Rock Gap to the pipe for the spring at winding stair gap. You must hit the pipe. SOBO Panther Gap to the pipe for the spring at winding stair gap. You must hit the pipe.

NOBO Tellico Gap, (N.C. 1365) to the TOP floor of the Wesser Bald Observation Tower.
SOBO front of the Wesser bald shelter to the TOP floor of the Wesser Bald Observation Tower

NOBO: Double Spring Gap shelter to the top floor of the Clingman’s dome tower. SOBO
Mt Collins shelter (well, the trailhead of the access trail) NOBOs bring a few spare Frisbees for this hole.

NOBO & SOBO The “Pig Stiles” in GSMNP, from one to the other. Tee is just before you ascend the first ramp - Hole is the flat spot over the fence.

An easy one?
NOBO Rufus Morgan shelter to the 1st white blaze on the NOC bridge. SOBO Sorry, I can’t remember any landmarks 0.7 miles from NOC, but same rules: 1st white blaze on the bridge.

Interesting “Holes” Still working on the “Tees”:

The water faucet at the Fontana Hilton.

The Shuckstack firetower. (suggested tee NOBO, The Police station for the dam (front door), bring a few spare Frisbees for this hole).

2’ above the water heater (be gentle) for Standing Bear Hostel. YOU have to find it, 1 stroke per minute looking, Asking is cheating, 20 stroke penalty! 100 stroke penalty for hitting the water heater. Already know where it is? Good for you.
Suggested Tee for NOBOS, Base of the stairs at I-40.

Not sure how legal, but the FAA tower on Snowbird Mt.

The marker atop Max Patch

Nick Grindstaff Monument

The Bell at the Settler’s Museum. It must ring! Note: Break a window = instant disqualification.