PDA

View Full Version : Little Gap to Wind Gap

Aubbies
06-10-2009, 11:22
Has anyone been through Little Gap to Wind Gap PA (2 sections over from Water gap). I am taking a first time backpacker out for a quick over night trip and wanted to make sure this section would at least have some decent views for them. Is it a nice section?

Thanks!!

Ridge Rat
06-10-2009, 11:54
Rocky, not much for views. But I suppose it's nice if you like flat and uneventful. Have hiked it a bunch of times as thats in my back yard. Not sure if it's a good intro for a first timer. Might have a hard time getting them to come back.

mooseboy
06-10-2009, 15:06
I only did that section once, last year. But I'll second Ridge Rat's POV.

Perhaps you'd enjoy going west toward Palmerton (you can use the Winter Trail if the Lehigh Gap rock climb is too challenging)... It's rocky, but there are some nice views.

Or between DWG and Wind Gap... I recall that was also prettier than Little Gap-Wind Gap. Also very rocky... actually, you're not going to get around the rocks on ANY of that part of PA.

Of course, if you want to do the section you mentioned, there's nothing wrong with it... other nearby hikes just have better scenery.

Ridge Rat
06-10-2009, 15:21
Hmm, heres a suggestion for a good overnight and since you're in fairless hills its closer for you, 309 to Eckville is a good one... give them the 4 mile hike to allentown shelter as a warm-up as its flat and not really rocky, then you get tri-county and dans pulpit for views on day 2 to make up for the rocky sections between them.

ShelterLeopard
06-10-2009, 15:55
Nice, if you have hiked before. The rocks are uncomfortable for first time hikers, and definitely don't do the part between the road to Danielsville and the town of Palmerton. The descent into Palmerton (or ascent away from, which ever direction you go) is very difficult. Most thru hikers slack packed their way through that section. Wonderful views though. I would do Kirkridge through Delaware Water Gap and maybe beyond if you're taking a first time hiker. Even maybe from Wind Gap to Delaware Water Gap.

ShelterLeopard
06-10-2009, 15:58
They rerouted the section right before that really steep descent into Palmerton- they changed four miles of the trail, and the nettles sting your ankles and legs like crazy. (Right after you climb up, or before you climb down- the nettle section is about three miles, most of it is grass and not pure nettle, but the nettle hurts like heck)

Toolshed
06-10-2009, 21:35
They rerouted the section right before that really steep descent into Palmerton- they changed four miles of the trail, and the nettles sting your ankles and legs like crazy. (Right after you climb up, or before you climb down- the nettle section is about three miles, most of it is grass and not pure nettle, but the nettle hurts like heck)

When did they re-route?

The Mechanical Man
06-11-2009, 02:13
Has anyone been through Little Gap to Wind Gap PA (2 sections over from Water gap). I am taking a first time backpacker out for a quick over night trip and wanted to make sure this section would at least have some decent views for them. Is it a nice section?

Thanks!!

It is a very nice 16 mile section in Northern Pa, with several good views, campsites, and springs.

I have hiked this section many times over in the past 25 years, I live in the very middle of this section, and have called it my home for over 20 years.
1 mile down the road at Smith Gap, see your 2009 Appalachian Pages Handbook.

As you begin your hike, there is a vista with good views back to Little Gap and beyond, at "Weathering Knob" in just .3 mile.
3 miles or so later is a trail 400 feet to the right of the AT, to an unnamed viewpoint looking South to the Lehigh Valley and beyond.
In less than a mile, a power line crossing with good views North and South from the AT.
As you hike North, .7 before Smith Gap Road there is a trail leading .6 to the right and a reliable spring, then just north on the AT, is campsite #1 in .1, and #2 in .1, then Smith Gap Road crossing in .5 mile.
In .2 mile North of the side trail to Leroy Smith Shelter, is a power line crossing with fine views to the North, and of the Pocono Mountains.
"Hahn's lookout" is next, and then "Lookout Rocks" as you descend into Wind Gap.

This section at 1,500 plus feet, is the highest continuous ridgetop hiking in Pa, with the longest strech in Pa, between reliable natural public lands water sources for AT hikers.

Sounds like a good time to me, two 8 mile days with a new hiking partner, Good Luck and have fun!

I will not try to talk you into hiking somewhere else, it's your hike, so HYOH and enjoy it. :sun

Hokie
06-11-2009, 05:05

Echoing Traceless's nettles comment. About 1/2 through the re-route as of 10 days ago, the nettles were already above waist high and encroaching a narrow AT footpath so unavoidable and no easy way to go around. You need to protect your legs and hold your arms up for a stretch that is less than 100 yards. I did not see them for any more than this short stretch, but for anyone walking into this trap before they realize these are stinging nettles, it would make for a very bad day.

Aubbies
06-11-2009, 09:41
Thank you for all the advice! Mechanical Man - very much appreciate all the details!