PDA

View Full Version : XL Poncho...

Yukon
06-10-2009, 20:09
Hey all, got a quick question. I wanted to try a rain cape on my End-to-End in August but I don't think anyone makes one big enough for me. My friend Quoddy let me try his on, which is the biggest size available that I know of and it was still too small. I'm 6'-6" tall so finding things to fit me correctly is sometimes difficult, story of my life. So I was thinking, I have seen guys that use poncho's, and I'm wondering if there is any tall guys on here that use a poncho and could guide me toward a brand/model etc. Thanks in advance! :)

JokerJersey
06-10-2009, 20:44
If nothing else, you could always look at picking up a standard issue poncho at a military surplus store. We had guys in my platoon at least as big as you were and they never complained about the poncho being too short. They are pretty cheap, they work, and if you tie off the hood, they can double up as a deflection tarp over your shelter.

Desert Reprobate
06-10-2009, 21:02
Drop him an email. Maybe he'll make a larger one for you
http://www.thepacka.com/

Desert Reprobate
06-10-2009, 21:05
Sorry, I reread the ad and he doesn't do custom sizes. This still may be large enough for you though.

Seeker
06-10-2009, 21:29
i was going to suggest an issue poncho as well... it might be a little on the short side, but your legs will get wet no matter what... it's just a matter of how high up... but if you bought two, you could cut an edge, say a foot, off each end, and hem it. the other edge would snap to the lower edge of your poncho (they're made to snap together) and would enable you to make one a little longer than usual. you could also make the back even longer, say 18-24", so it would cover your pack without being even shorter still...

(i hope that makes sense. hard to describe without a picture.)

Elder
06-10-2009, 21:56
Check out integraldesigns.com
Go to fast and light, then siltarps for ponchos and capes with measurements.
Cool company in Calgary...

BOWSINGER
06-15-2009, 22:36
If you are looking for a big guy poncho, consider a Golite Poncho tarp. It is 8 ft 8 inches by 4 ft 10 inches and only weighs 10 oz even though it is made out of a heavier, tougher sil-nylon. The price is only about $50. I always rig some kind of waist cord to keep my ponchos from flapping in the wind like some kind of demented stork.

double d
06-16-2009, 01:04
Take a look at Campmor's, they have some large size poncho's at a great price.

bigcranky
06-16-2009, 07:42
You might contact Mountain Laurel Designs. They make a great poncho tarp. If I recall correctly, they'll do some custom work, maybe make it a foot longer.

Yukon
06-16-2009, 08:47
Thanks for all the input people...I just can't decide if I want to go the Poncho route or if I want to stick with my Rain Jacket and pack cover...maybe some pro's and con's if you guys could? Thanks...

JAK
06-16-2009, 08:57
Pro Poncho:
1. Easier to DIY
2. Easier to fold up or roll up
3. Combo Rain Shell and Shelter
4. Ventilates well even when waterproof

Pro Rain Jacket
1. Smaller and lighter for same rain shell coverage
2. Packs as small as poncho even if not as flat
3. Better in wet windy conditions
4. Warmer as outer shell in cold conditions

Personally I like the poncho, but if I didn't use it as shelter also I would go with a jacket.

bigcranky
06-16-2009, 09:18
Are you thinking about using it as your shelter, as well as your rain gear? That's a whole different set of issues. I'll just talk poncho/rain gear for now.

Poncho:
Lighter than most rain jacket/pack cover combos.
Better coverage of pack.
Cooler than rain jacket; allows more ventilation.
Better coverage than jacket, but not as good as jacket/pants.
Covers space where pack meets back.
Harder to see foot placement.
Arms get wet.
High winds are a problem.
Cold weather is a problem.

Wise Old Owl
06-16-2009, 09:47
Drop him an email. Maybe he'll make a larger one for you
http://www.thepacka.com/

It looks like a great product and I have seen his website and I think its a great idea..

Does he know that bright blue reminds me of Papa Smurf? Can we get it in green?