PDA

View Full Version : Best hiking stove?

ShelterLeopard
06-10-2009, 22:43
So I did a really big shake down for next years NoBo, and my whisperlite kicked out on me. I know I can fix it, and I will, but I'd like to find a better light weight backpacking stove. Considering the pocket rocket and the jet boil- what do you all think of those? Any other suggestions? Is it often hard to find canister fuel along the trail? Would it be wiser just to use an alcohol stove?

Many Walks
06-10-2009, 22:52
We used a pocket rocket on our thru and it worked really well. Fast, easy, and efficient with no problem finding canisters along the way.

We also burn alcohol in a Mini Trianga on some hikes. Don't see a lot of weight difference between the two. Comes down to your preference.

garlic08
06-10-2009, 23:24
I remember always being worried about my Whisperlite (neither of which is true, by the way) because they included a repair kit with it.

Alcohol stoves work best if you don't cook a lot. They're great for one quick meal a day. Alcohol fuel weighs more per unit energy than gas. If you end up routinely carrying more than 10 or 12 ounces of alcohol, I've heard you're better off with a gas stove, weight-wise.

Feral Bill
06-10-2009, 23:35
You can always go vintage. Get an older (pre built in cleaning needle) SVEA on Ebay for not too much. Change the gas filler gasket avery few years and you're set for life. No repair kit needed.

FB

Mags
06-11-2009, 00:06
The quick and dirty answer: NONE OF THEM. :D

There are many backpacking stoves available for the consumer now. Lightweight alcohol stoves, canister stoves and white gas stoves are the most popular now for general use. But what stove is "the best"? The true answer is: NONE OF THEM.

The article below will go into the pros and cons of the various stoves for "real world" (not marketing) use depending upon your needs.

The "best stove" depends upon what your use is for. Boiling a lot of water? Backpacking as a couple? Doing "real" cooking in the back country? Long time without resupply? Winter camping? These are all questions that need to be asked when considering a stove for backcountry use. Just as you would not use a screwdriver to put in a nail, certain types of stoves are suited for different type of tasks than another stove.

Here is my rough guide (and I do mean rough!) to the different stove uses.

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/stove_comparison.html

The final summary IMO:

OVERALL SUMMARY

There are many stoves to choose from. Which one is the best depends upon your intended use.

If you are resupplying for less than ten meals, solo and three-season backpacking: Alcohol Stove
If you are a couple and/or going long time between resupplies or need to do real cooking:
Canister Stove other than Jet Boil
If you are solo and want a convenient all in one solution and/or fast boil times: Jetboil or MSR Reactor
If you are winter camping/high altitude mountaineering OR doing 3+ person meals: White Gas Stove
Doing lots of "real cooking" in a forest environment and not hiking far: Zip Stove

Want the absolute lightest stove and price/resupply (and don't mind slower boil times) is not an issue: Esbit
Prefer to go the ultra-minimalist route and want very little to no futzing: No stove.

Alaskanhkr23
06-11-2009, 00:12
I bought a pocket rocket and used it instead of my whisperlite and it was great its light and it boils water in bout 3 mins

double d
06-11-2009, 00:28
Agreed, pocket rocket is the best stove I've used, lightweight, well made and packs small. Decent price as well.

CowHead
06-11-2009, 07:11
I like my JetBoil quick and easy, the same thing my wife saids to me mmmmm

Engine
06-11-2009, 07:17
Pepsi can stove is the best thing I've added to my kit. It brings 2 cups to a boil in under 5 minutes on 20cc of alcohol, and then continues to boil for another couple minutes. For performance vs. weight I have yet to see it's match.

MadAussieInLondon
06-11-2009, 09:18
sometimes I use my ye-olde brasslite when its just me,
sometimes I use my snowpeak titanium gigastove when its me and the missus.

sixhusbands
06-11-2009, 09:26
The pocket rocket is the best for me. I even used it on a winter hike in the Adirondacks and despite what I heard , if you keep your canisters warm..no problems at sub freezing temps. the canisters can double as a cold pack if needed!

bigcranky
06-11-2009, 09:34
Mags is right, if there were one "best stove" then everyone would carry it.

I have used alcohol, fuel tablet, canister stoves, and the Whisperlight. They all do different things well. When I am just grabbing a stove for a trip, I usually end up with the canister stove.

I know plenty of people like and use the Pocket Rocket, but I am not enamored of its pot supports, especially with small mug/pots. The Snow Peak and the Brunton Raptor do a better job with those.

Nasty Dog Virus
06-11-2009, 09:55
I think the pocket rocket is the best stove out there for the $$$ although I think most would agree that the pot supports are weak. I've been alternating between pocket rocket and trangia alcohol stove for years. I've never had a problem with either...

leeki pole
06-11-2009, 10:17
Jet boil because I go solo, hands down perfect.

Mags
06-11-2009, 10:28
I even used it on a winter hike in the Adirondacks and despite what I heard ,

It is more for extended winter camping and/or snow melting. The canister is nowhere as efficient as white gas in winter. THat's the real crux. Boiling a meal or two is not a real issue. Keeping the alcohol/canister warm is obviously needed as you mentioned.

When I did more winter camping in the Rockies (with a another person or two), I brought the white gas stove. The amount of canisters or alcohol to melt a lot of snow (the lake was frozen and not visible under the many feet of snow!) would have not been practical.

I did get to see this view...which is why gear is not all that important in the end. ;)

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2091/215/82/563440020/n563440020_2415685_6947.jpg

I now do hut trips where I ski in to 11k and use these much better stoves to make much better food ;)

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2632/162/123/536453469/n536453469_1450529_87670.jpg

mister krabs
06-11-2009, 11:21
Are those ducks? maybe pork loins, either way, Yummy!

CowHead
06-11-2009, 12:22
I also have a colemans single burner white gas stove it does the job but between the gas and the stove its about five lbs to carry

leeki pole
06-11-2009, 12:35
Are those ducks? maybe pork loins, either way, Yummy!
As a dedicated griller, those appear to be rib eyes, marinated of course.
Yes, and they are yummy, but only over charcoal, medium rare.

Mags
06-11-2009, 15:46
They are pork loins infused with garlic, fresh rosemary, black pepper, salt and a pinch of red pepper. Coated in olive oil.

Cook for 10-15 minutes on ~450 (or sear on the pans you see behind me!) and cook low and slow in the wood fired oven.

Served with herb roasted potatoes/carrots/onions (fresh mint with a touch of rosemary, black pepper and salt) and some steamed spinach marinated in olive oil and lemon juice mixed in with black olives and dried salami.

Throw in a (very heavy) pack, slap on the skis and climb up ~2500' or so for 7 miles. Cook it all for 16 people and have your friend always remember her kick ass 40th birthday.

I also make cream cheese stuffed French toast served with boiled down raspberry/orange juice syrup, berries and powdered sugar. Serve with eggs and sausage.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v367/215/82/563440020/n563440020_2009242_8505.jpg

Best served with a glorious sunrise lighting up the Continental Divide while drinking your morning cup of joe at 10500' or so.

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16667&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=131bca1c68e35a51feeb384ce3769b69

I love hut trips. :)

Hikes in Rain
06-11-2009, 20:11
Some people know how to camp!

reddenbacher
06-11-2009, 20:19
trangia stove is bomb proof,simmers too

ShelterLeopard
06-11-2009, 23:05
I think I'll probably go with the pocket rocket- I got to see both a pocket rocket and jetboil in action a couple days ago, and I liked both, but the pocket rocket seemed more versatile.

(And Mags, I love your pictures and your meat! It makes me want to go hut camping in the snow right now)

medicjimr
06-11-2009, 23:32
mostly use a cat stove Have a Coleman peak 1 canister stove used it once and the Coleman single burner white gas stove I haven't used yet too heavy