PDA

View Full Version : Sewn through down pullover pattern?

tlbj6142
06-29-2004, 22:22
I really want to make an down pullover. Something very simple with sewn through baffles (1"-1.5" thick) and a short zipper. No pockets. Simple cuffs (elastic), collar and waist hem (no draw string).

I don't see how to compute the extra material needed to make the baffles "puffy", hence the need for a pattern.

This would be something worn around camp over a base layer and a windshirt. And under my hard shell if needed.

Any patterns out there?

stieg
06-30-2004, 01:46
You could try the Thru-Hiker Kennebec Insulated Pullover (http://www.thru-hiker.com/MaterialDetail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=mg132&subcat=Kits) pattern. It's a pattern for a synthetic jacket, but I don't see why you couldn't use the pattern (and 0.8oz nylon) to make it. Then put the down in (somehow!) and do the sewn-through baffles.

The sizing should be close, since it's already setup for insulation. It may be setup for too much insulation, but it would be a great place to start. I'm sure AYCE could give you some pointers if you post on the Thru-Hiker message board.

Someone posted a similar question to his board (http://www.thru-hiker.com/anyboard/forum1/posts/5277.html) a while ago and he even offered to sell a customized kit for this purpose.

tlbj6142
06-30-2004, 09:32
That is exactly what I'm after. In fact, if I wasn't able to make a down pullover, I was going to buy his Primaloft kit (though for the cost you can just about buy a new one).

I didnt' think to ask AYCE if he could make a down pattern of the same jacket. I'll check out the thread you linked to...

Thanks.

stieg
06-30-2004, 10:16
I have the Kennebec kit, but I haven't taken the time to make it. For some reason I make backpacks and tarps before clothes!

tlbj6142
06-30-2004, 10:39
For some reason I make backpacksSo which pack did you make? I really want to make a pack, but haven't got enough courage yet. Besides I already have a couple of packs that are fairly light and sort of meet my needs.

But I only have a cheapo 2# fleece as a thermal layer. So, I'd rather cut 1+# from my base weight rather than a couple of ounces.

I also want to make one of HungryHowie's quilts (20F model), but that can wait until later this summer.

stieg
06-30-2004, 18:40
I've gotten bitten by the external frame bug. I've got lots of internal frame packs, dont' really need any more of those (but I'm looking at the starlite :).

I'm making a pack to go on to a composite frame I bought.

It's going to be interesting, as the frame is plastic and relatively light (I haven't weighed it yet, but I think it's less than 2 pounds) and much narrower than a normal ext frame because of it's composite construction. I'm going to make custom shoulder straps that are curved just the way I like them. The waist belt seems fine. Then I'm going to make a cordura and silnylon pack bag for it with a drybag style top.

I think I'll be able to make a pack that has the profile of an internal frame, hold more than 4000ci, weigh less than 2.75 pounds and should be able to carry lots of weight comfortably.

The GVP G4 is my current favorite. I had to customize the shoulder straps to work for me. I don't *need* another lightweight pack. Though you can't have too many packs!

But I need a pack that can take heavier weight for when I go with my kids or my girlfriend. I may be able to get it down into the low 2 pound range, which is pretty cool if you think about it. The weight of a Vapor Trail/Starlite with the ability to carry 30-40 pounds like a champ would be really cool!