PDA

View Full Version : Jansport D-3 Pack Info needed

BeaverTrapper
06-29-2004, 23:04
I recently snagged a Jansport D-3 backpack at a yard sale for the whopping price of ABSOLUTELY FREE! Couldn't pass that up. What made it even better was that this old pack had NEVER been used - it still has the tag and the 'keys' to adjust it attached.

Although a little on the heavy side, I have to admit I really admire the machining that went into that frame and the adjusting cams. The aluminum 'wings' that wrap around the waist are pretty neat too. It's really a very comfortable system, even if it looks a bit funky. Reminds me of when things were manufactured here in the good old USA instead of sewn together in some sweatshop somewhere.

Does anybody know when they quit making this pack? I'm going to use it for winter hikes just for the retro aspect alone. :)

Lone Wolf
06-29-2004, 23:11
I own a D-2 and a D-3 JSport pack. Got 10,000 miles combined on both packs.Bought the D-3 in 93 or 94. I bet they still make them. Great packs but the liteweight weenie crowd wouldn't approve. ;)

Jack Tarlin
06-29-2004, 23:20
"I bet they still make them....."

No, actually, they don't.

But some of their more recent stuff is comparable; see their website for details.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2004, 23:28
Same pack, different letter/number/name designation.

MedicineMan
06-29-2004, 23:29
and you still see the D2,D3 in use. I've got too many AT miles on mine though not as many as L.Wolf or J.Tarlin, in fact just saw one in use by '65 and Alive' a few hikes ago.
You will love the features and remember that the D2 is still lighter than many a Bora (Arcteryx) or Gregory internal frame out there.
Those metal wings you spoke of allow the frame to stand independently and years ago my hiking partner an identical model. We would stand them 4 feet apart and drape a tarp between them for instant shelter for lunch or breaks.
If you ever want to part with the Jansport you found please e-mail me first, I would love to add another one if the color is not blue.
Also, there is a map compartment right behind the top cross member, I had my pack 3 or 4 years before I discovered it.
You can save 4oz by removing the crampon pad but if you any bit nostalgic dont do it.
MM

slowroller
06-29-2004, 23:49
I also bought a jansport pack at a yard sale a couple weeks ago, gave ten bucks for it. But other than Jansport it has no other markings on it so Im not sure if it is a D2 or D3.......it does have the map pocket that MedicineMan is talking about though..

BeaverTrapper
06-29-2004, 23:54
Mines green in color. I just checked carefully and can't find the map pocket mentioned. Maybe mine doesn't have it. I know it's a D-3, because the tag is still on it. The guy I got it from is my father in law, who is retired Special Forces. He bought it because he wanted to get into backpacking as a form of excercise, but injuries prevented him from ever doing that, so it sat in his garage. I'll see him again this weekend, and I'll be sure to ask him when he bought it.

Pencil Pusher
06-30-2004, 00:42
Here's a frameless Jansport backpack I bought from Campmor back in 1999. I don't know what model it is, but it sure has been a handy pack to have. I sewed things back together with dental floss, sometimes with red duct tape holding it together and then sewing over that. I think it's a pound and a half. My friends refer to it as the oversized book bag;) But I've used it everywhere, whether that be backpacking, hiking, climbing, or whatever. It really came apart in several places when I put it in the washing machine for the first time last year. I guess that's a no-no.

Streamweaver
06-30-2004, 01:29
If you wash a pack in a machine it should only be in a large front loader type machine! The aggitator(sp) in top loading machines can catch the pack fabric and mess it up pretty bad.I usually just wash my packs in the bath tub. They have some jansport ext frame packs at sports authority for cheap so Im thinking either a Jansport or a Kelty Trekker 3950,not sure yet though. Streamweaver

Jaybird
06-30-2004, 05:39
i used a Jansport D-3 on several miles of trails in Sedona, Arizona (late 90s) in 110 degree temps....good pack..stupid, very HOT hiker! :D

stranger
06-30-2004, 06:43
The D2 is a relatively old design that eventually turned into the D3, the D3 is a great external pack. The concept is so simple, all the weight hangs on those aluminum arms that wrap the hips, amazing weight transfer but very little flexibility. The D3 and D5 are the same packs, just different frame sizes. The D3 is a "tall" model.

From what I remember the D3 stopped being built in the late 90's, however they continue to make similar models. They came out with a plastic version of the aluminum arms, I don't know if this still exists.

oruoja
06-30-2004, 15:13
Bought my Jansport D3 in May 1978 and retired it in 1992 after many miles. Still hangs in the shed. It was a very good panel loading pack and durable. The U-shaped metal bars on the hip suspension worked well, but the four plastic bushings which mount it to the vertical frame tended to wear out. I used pipe thread tape to keep them from sliding as they got older. Was able to get new ones from Jansport up until the late 80's. I don't think you can buy any replacement parts for the suspension system as the manufacture of the pack was discontinued in the 80's, You can no doubt rig up a better hip belt (and replace the metal buckle) to fit and get better shoulder straps. The only major major failure in the field was back in '81 when my friends D3 frame cracked on one side where the U-bar met the frame. Split a sappling and lashed it to the frame with twine which got us into Manchester Center, Vt where a radiator shop welded the frame for free. I am sure the failure was uncommon as my friend had the habit of dropping the pack when taking it off and also back then pack weights were almost always in the 50 to 55 lb range. I still have the old Jansport catalog and brochure and when I dig them up I'll post the stats on the pack for those that may be interested.

stieg
06-30-2004, 19:26
If anyone's interested, there's a D3 on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36110&item=5105559413&rd=1