PDA

View Full Version : Trail names..

pattydivins
06-11-2009, 11:02
Do people actually introduce themselves using a trail-name alias? I find this weird and was just planning on using my real name. :confused:

Bearpaw
06-11-2009, 11:07
Do people actually introduce themselves using a trail-name alias? I find this weird and was just planning on using my real name. :confused:

Do what you're comfortable with.

Yes, after a very short period of time, most people introduce themselves with their trail name. Even now, I answer as naturally to Bearpaw as my legal name. It just takes time.

Serial 07
06-11-2009, 11:08
yes...try working at an outfitter in damascus, answering the phone, "sundog, this is serial"...that usually requires me to explain what is going on...it's not for everyone though, just the cool people...;)

Serial 07
06-11-2009, 11:10
oh, and don't give yourself a trail name...they are best when they are earned...fall off a bunk bed in neel gap and you become "free fall"...now that's fun...

NCYankee
06-11-2009, 11:21
oh, and don't give yourself a trail name...they are best when they are earned...fall off a bunk bed in neel gap and you become "free fall"...now that's fun...

That is also how I earned the name "Wrong Turn" after getting lost coming down Blood Mountain.

As a section hiker I don't get as many opportunities to use my trail name but normally offer both.

Monkeyboy
06-11-2009, 12:10
....and after that vicious attack from a roving band of simians whilst backpacking......

....but that brings up too many bad memories.

Alaskanhkr23
06-11-2009, 12:22
I would never give out my real name on the trail,only to the hickers going with me from the begining

Not Worthy
06-11-2009, 12:30
You are usually much easier for hikers to remember between each other with a trail name. "I saw Bob yesterday at Tray Mt" doesn't pass as much as "I saw Two Kids yesterday...". I agree, wait until the time comes that you are given your name, it will happen soon enough.
Not Worthy

vonfrick
06-11-2009, 14:50
....and after that vicious attack from a roving band of simians whilst backpacking......

....but that brings up too many bad memories.

i thought they only went after hammockers??

http://geriandricky.maxwells.net.nz/wp-content/photos/Bolivia__2006_09_06__Yolosa_IMG_3062.JPG

Red Hat
06-11-2009, 14:54
You now have a trail name... "confused" (what my computer showed instead of the icon after your post) And yes, I introduce myself and answer to "Red Hat". There are just too many Kathy's on the trail, but so far, I think I'm the only Red Hat.

ShelterLeopard
06-11-2009, 15:29
They do- though I do know a couple people who either just used their real names, or something like "king james" instead of just james. I personally like being able to leave everything behind and just revert to my trail name. And quite often, you don't pick it yourself- other pick it for you. You have to get a trail name that really fits with you though, or it'll just feel weird and unneccesary.

Monkeyboy
06-11-2009, 16:16
i thought they only went after hammockers??

http://geriandricky.maxwells.net.nz/wp-content/photos/Bolivia__2006_09_06__Yolosa_IMG_3062.JPG

I am a hammocker. It was horrible.

The teeth.....the banana breath......absolutely horrible.

mweinstone
06-11-2009, 16:38
to know a hikers real first name is concidered rare. most folks would never guess my real name is matthew in a million years.they just get all stupid and go," whats matthewski mean?". and im like,"matthew and ski." and their like,"do you ski?" and im like," "no." and their like," are you polish?" and im like," no." and their like," we must know what does it mean this matthewski?!." and im like," i stuck ski on the end of my name cause i needed a trail name."

Jester2000
06-11-2009, 17:40
I find that it becomes quite natural to use and answer to your trail name once you've been out for a while. Occasionally, when getting a lift from a non-hiker or meeting locals in a town I'll introduce myself using my real name if it seems like I would confuse the peron by giving my trail name.

It was odd last year to hear my real name for the first time in months after I finished the PCT and went home. Very odd.

About as odd as visiting my hiker friends at their homes and hearing their friends call them by their real names.

Mrs Baggins
06-11-2009, 18:07
I am Mrs Baggins on the trail. Period. Only 4 people on the AT know my real name. When I put on my pack I AM Mrs Baggins and that's how I introduce myself even when just hiking for a weekend. I answer to it as easily as my own name. I absolutely love the reaction when I put out my hand to greet someone and say "Hi. I'm Mrs Baggins." My husband and a friend that I've hiked with were stunned at how many people "knew" me. :)

Mags
06-11-2009, 18:31
Mags or Paul Mags on trail and off trail. (OK..one 3 yr does call me "Uncle Mags")

I'm lazy in many ways... (and have a hard to pronounce last name).

Rain Man
06-12-2009, 11:46

I just returned from a week-and-a-half section hike and ran into plenty of thru-hikers. Some introduced themselves with trail names, some didn't (they introduced themselves with their real names).

Do whatever you like. I will say most non-day-hikers use trail names and I rarely learn their real names, or give out my real name for that matter. Though I will sign both in shelter registers.

Rain:sunMan
Raymond:sunMyers

harryfred
06-12-2009, 12:17
Yea, I use to intro myself both ways. Now when I step foot on the trail Harold Frederick ceases to exists and I'm, Over the edge. A name I was given due to my habit of standing as close to the edge of over looks to take pictures including at least one leaning over to take straight down

Monkeyboy
06-12-2009, 12:19
I rarely use my real name, since it's Anita Hugginkiss.

wiregrass
06-12-2009, 12:42
During my first section hike, lack of experience resulted in a bear getting all my food, except a few Snickers bars. The rest of the trip, I was known as "Snickers".

Vince
06-12-2009, 14:30
I've only done GA and parts of NJ, but would be totally fine with making to Maine with only my proper name.

Speer Carrier
06-12-2009, 14:36
I rarely use my real name, since it's Anita Hugginkiss.

I'm kinda the same way. My real name is Haywood Jabloeme.

ShelterLeopard
06-14-2009, 16:56

That's the best, most fun way to get a trail name- I got traceless for picking up all the trash from Monson to Katadin, and later I got blueberry because when I got into town (after picking all the blueberries on the top of the mountain), I got three pints of blueberries and a blueberry pie.