PDA

View Full Version : New Backpacking Toothbrush

brooklynkayak
06-11-2009, 11:31
Colgate makes it called "Wisp":

http://www.colgatewisp.com/

hikergirl1120
06-11-2009, 11:35
I think I saw a prior thread on these things. Seemed like it was something that would be ok for short trips but not long term...IMO

mister krabs
06-11-2009, 11:40
Great for overnights, used one last weekend. the brush part seems to made out of the stuff that is on the cap of upholstery cleaner like k2r, that plastic brush stuff. It's not like a regular toothbrush, but I liked it.

brooklynkayak
06-11-2009, 11:55
I think I saw a prior thread on these things.

Posts just fly by sometimes. I guess I shoulda done a search.

esteban
06-11-2009, 12:17
Seems awfully wasteful to have a one use toothbrush.

DAJA
06-11-2009, 12:23
Seems awfully wasteful to have a one use toothbrush.

I've made this point on the last two threads about the wisp and people don't seem to care...

What's wrong with a regular toothbrush? If the weight is a problem for you, perhaps hiking is not for you... Take up hot air ballooning..

mister krabs
06-11-2009, 12:24
agreed. They were in the bargain bin, so I got a set. I'd put it at 2 or three uses if you clean it well. Not bad for weekend warriors like myself.

mister krabs
06-11-2009, 12:26
Yeah, I agree, it's wasteful, but so is bottled water. It's really best for keeping in your car or desk in case you miss a brush and don't realize it until you notice how funky your mouth is.

humunuku
06-11-2009, 12:31
makes me want to dance, not hike

brooklynkayak
06-11-2009, 12:32
I've made this point on the last two threads about the wisp and people don't seem to care...

What's wrong with a regular toothbrush? If the weight is a problem for you, perhaps hiking is not for you... Take up hot air ballooning..

I was considering it as a multi use toothbrush. Although they market it as a one use toothbrush for our US society's obsession with disposable items.

I just consider it a small light toothbrush and you get 4 for $2 something. There is less plastic in the four than one regular toothbrush, so even if the four only last the same amount of time as one regular toothbrush, it would mean less waste.

DAJA
06-11-2009, 12:41
But you are providing a market for an un-needed product. A product that many will use as designed, to be disposed of after a single use... When will the insanity end!

mudhead
06-11-2009, 12:52
After seeing the TV commercial, I think I want one.

Woof. Bow Wow.

JAK
06-11-2009, 12:52
I've stopped buying bottled water, or pop. Still buy big jugs of orange juice though. Working on that. Nothing wrong with DAJA pointing out the obvious, that they are needlessly wasteful. Needs to be said. If we can't talk about environmentalism in a hiking forum, why are we hiking?

mudhead
06-11-2009, 12:56
Now I think I want two.

brooklynkayak
06-11-2009, 12:56
But you are providing a market for an un-needed product. A product that many will use as designed, to be disposed of after a single use... When will the insanity end!

I agree, plastic bags and bottles are even worse. They are meant to be used once and end up in landfill or the ocean.
I save and reuse plastic bottles and try to use reusable shopping bags, but it is hard to avoid disposable toothbrushes. I'm sure someone is making non-disposable toothbrushes, but they are not so common.

The Wisp would be a better answer than most as they use far less plastic.

DAJA
06-11-2009, 13:00
I've stopped buying bottled water, or pop. Still buy big jugs of orange juice though. Working on that. Nothing wrong with DAJA pointing out the obvious, that they are needlessly wasteful. Needs to be said. If we can't talk about environmentalism in a hiking forum, why are we hiking?

I'm with you JAK... I can't remember the last time I drank from a disposable bottle, other than milk, and various juices, and for those I only buy the economy size.. I installed a RO and UV system at our home so no matter what comes up out of the well, it will be safe to drink once it reaches my glass..

Your last sentence is top drawer!

mister krabs
06-11-2009, 13:02
The Wisp would be a better answer than most as they use far less plastic.

Good point.

The wisp's drawback is what the bristles are made of, I can't think of the word for it, (less resilient? ) but they bend and stay bent more easily, they don't bounce back like the thinner bristles in a regular brush. it makes them good for fewer uses than a traditional bristle.

That's what I think makes them "more disposable," not hygenic reasons, at least not for me.

brooklynkayak
06-11-2009, 13:03
Good point.

The wisp's drawback is what the bristles are made of, I can't think of the word for it, (less resilient? ) but they bend and stay bent more easily, they don't bounce back like the thinner bristles in a regular brush. it makes them good for fewer uses than a traditional bristle.

That's what I think makes them "more disposable," not hygenic reasons, at least not for me.

You have a point. I haven't actually used one yet.

DAJA
06-11-2009, 13:05
Good point.

Agreed, I looked at them in the store with amazement that anyone would need such a silly product... Guess I underestimated the wastefulness of some... Just pushing on the bristles in the packages causes them to stay bent in multiple directions... Very very disposable... I could see maybe getting 2-4 uses out of one... Not even comparable to a regular toothbrush that if taken care of can easily last 3 months of 3 times a day brushing...

JAK
06-11-2009, 13:08
I twig of yellow birch makes a better brush than that thing,
and comes complete with natural wintergreen flavour. :)

mister krabs
06-11-2009, 13:16
most toothbrushes are not recyclable, seems like a waste.
http://environment.about.com/od/earthtalkcolumns/a/toothbrush.htm

JAK
06-11-2009, 13:19
Definitely room for improvement there. Thanks for the link.

DAJA
06-11-2009, 13:22
Thanks for the link... I love stuff like this...

mister krabs
06-11-2009, 13:30
I had to find out why.

“Because ColgateŽ Wisp™ is comprised of more than two different types of plastic, it is categorized #7 for recycling, which is not recycled by most municipal programs in the US.”

Guess that's the same reason as most.

hikergirl1120
06-11-2009, 13:44
Posts just fly by sometimes. I guess I shoulda done a search.

Me too...just thought you might be able to find useful info there as well...:)

Cabin Fever
06-11-2009, 14:26
When are you going to be in a club on the AT?

mweinstone
06-11-2009, 17:22
teeth being crushed in a vice.

mweinstone
06-11-2009, 17:23
sorry, tea being slushed is nice.

mweinstone
06-11-2009, 17:25
that toothbrush can make me go faster and further. im in.

DBT fan
06-13-2009, 04:27
When are you going to be in a club on the AT?

I agree. This is geared more for young folk hooking up in da club.