PDA

View Full Version : Water in the Park

Ashman
06-11-2009, 18:23
Is is safe to assume with all the rain that there is plenty of water in the springs righ now?

Skyline
06-11-2009, 19:11
Is is safe to assume with all the rain that there is plenty of water in the springs righ now?

For now, the drought is over. Water is seeping out of places that water is not typically seen in June.

Of course, there are still stretches of the AT where water is scarce because there is simply no water source near the Trail. The section between Jarman Gap and Blackrock Gap in the South District comes to mind.

sir limpsalot
09-26-2009, 12:21
does anyone know how the spring is at gravel springs hut right now? ...and, if you were there, how are the tent sites?

Blissful
09-26-2009, 19:30
Well we're getting some soaking rain right now so it should be okay, though I'd take a cup for dipping just in case. Good tent sites up the hill, though a little small. You can see my tent on a site at Gravel Springs on my hiking blog (under journals at the left). Look under Shenandoah and page down.

johnnybgood
09-26-2009, 19:51
Like Blissful stated we are getting some rain now although rainfall amounts have been low in the southern section.

I'd bring a liter of water along just in case.

dovecote
09-27-2009, 18:25
On a related matter, the SNP ATC Guidebook mentions that "piped water is available in season at Panorama and Pinnacles Picnic Area". Is it safe to assume that the piped water is still operating at these locations? I will be hiking this section shortly.

johnnybgood
09-27-2009, 18:50
On a related matter, the SNP ATC Guidebook mentions that "piped water is available in season at Panorama and Pinnacles Picnic Area". Is it safe to assume that the piped water is still operating at these locations? I will be hiking this section shortly.
Was at Big Meadows picnic area last Monday , used the piped water at the fountain to fill up a kettle.

I would assume piped water will be available till after leaf peeping season is over ,which is end of October.

Skyline
09-27-2009, 20:21
does anyone know how the spring is at gravel springs hut right now? ...and, if you were there, how are the tent sites?

The spring still had water as of a week ago, according to a hiker I encountered on the Trail today.

The rain we got late Friday and Saturday (which I embraced by going backpacking;)) can only help. Still, we are not nearly as well-off, water-wise, as we were in the Spring and early Summer.

Most of the tentsites need some work. At present they are only functional for rather small tents.

Skyline
09-27-2009, 20:27

Panorama (restaurant) was torn down last year. A new restroom and has been built at the other end of the lot, where the old backcountry permit station was. You can get water there all year long.

Pinnacles Picnic Area has water in-season via the restrooms. There is also a frost-free pump just uphill from the covered picnic pavilion that operates year-round. For city folks who have never seen one of these, you pull up on the handle all the way and wait for water to start flowing (usually about 30 seconds). Be sure to return the handle to the "off" position when done (believe it or not, people have left it running).

dovecote
09-27-2009, 21:39
Panorama (restaurant) was torn down last year. A new restroom and has been built at the other end of the lot, where the old backcountry permit station was. You can get water there all year long.

Pinnacles Picnic Area has water in-season via the restrooms. There is also a frost-free pump just uphill from the covered picnic pavilion that operates year-round. For city folks who have never seen one of these, you pull up on the handle all the way and wait for water to start flowing (usually about 30 seconds). Be sure to return the handle to the "off" position when done (believe it or not, people have left it running).

Thanks for the update and look forward to using these water sources.

sir limpsalot
09-28-2009, 08:54
thanks to all. good information

dovecote
10-01-2009, 13:04

I was there Tuesday night 9/29. Water is available but you will need to dip your water bottle in a very small pool below the culvert. My wide mouth 32 oz bottle nalgene bottle worked fine and almost filled to its capacity.

dovecote
10-01-2009, 13:06

I did a 3 day, 2 night trip this past week, 9/28-9/30. Water was available at Pass Mt. and Gravel Springs shelters.