PDA

View Full Version : Get a guidebook now? Or wait for the 2010 edition?

MaxM
06-11-2009, 21:00
For a while now I've been contemplating doing a 2010 NOBO, and progressively becoming more and more serious about the idea. At this point, I want to go ahead and start planning, and I was wondering - would it be silly to get a guidebook like the Appalachian Pages now? Should I wait to order the 2010 edition next year instead?

Lyle
06-11-2009, 21:07
A GREAT service that ALDHA provides is an online version of the Companion. This currently is the 2009 version, 2010 won't be online until next June. This allows you to use the older version for initial planning, then buy the most current version next winter/spring for your actual hike. Please do buy a copy of the new version when it is available. These folks have to pay the bills for providing this.

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

This is one good reason to support the Companion.

Lone Wolf
06-11-2009, 21:09
A GREAT service that ALDHA provides is an online version of the Companion. This currently is the 2009 version, 2010 won't be online until next June. This allows you to use the older version for initial planning, then buy the most current version next winter/spring for your actual hike. Please do buy a copy of the new version when it is available. These folks have to pay the bills for providing this.

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

This is one good reason to support the Companion.

why buy a book when an online version is free? :-? maybe ALDHA needs to discontinue this freebie

Lyle
06-11-2009, 21:20
why buy a book when an online version is free? :-? maybe ALDHA needs to discontinue this freebie

For the same reason hikers who stay at The Place should follow the rules and make a donation - it's the right thing to do if you avail yourself of the offered services. :D

Lone Wolf
06-11-2009, 21:24
For the same reason hikers who stay at The Place should follow the rules and make a donation - it's the right thing to do if you avail yourself of the offered services. :D

you're wrong.

stranger
06-12-2009, 03:47
The online companion is the 2008 version, not 2009.

Personally, I like Appalachian Pages the best, but the Companion and Handbook are also fine.

Lyle
06-12-2009, 06:40
Check again, the 2009 version is online now. The new version usually goes up in June.

stranger
06-15-2009, 22:45
Cheers mate, good to know

Jack Tarlin
06-16-2009, 10:28
Lyle's right on the money.

The On-Line version of the Thru-Hiker's Companion will help you with your present planning; then, as your starting date approaches, you'll probably want to buy a current edition, as every year there are some changes......new places or businesses that have opened; old ones that have closed; new shelters; price changes at Trailside facilities, etc. It's always best to have the most current information available, but in the meantime, use the On-Line 2009 edition for your long-range planning.

Other things that might help you: In the fall fall, the ATC puts their maps/guidebooks on sale (this usually happens in late November; go to www.appalachiantrail.org for details).

Also, the "Articles" section of this website has lots of useful information that will supplement the info in your Trail guide. I'd especially look at the articles on budget hiking; how to send yourself mail while en route; Re-Supply info, etc.

Lastly, the ATC has a great thru-hiker information packet available for free; this is a very useful item; the ALDHA website (www.aldha.org) has similar information.

hurryinghoosier
06-18-2009, 13:04
Wait and get the 2010 version to carry with you. Trust me it will be more accurate. The milage changes each year and it is confusing when you are trying to find roads etc. Get the Appalachian pages.

Awol2003
07-02-2009, 09:30
Starting in November, Appalachian Pages will do a promotion similar to what was done last year; pre-purchase the 2010 book (which will ship in January), and get the 2009 book free, shipped right away. You'll have the "old" book for a couple of months in order to plan, and get the new one before you hit the trail.

Rockhound
07-02-2009, 10:28
Although there are a few changes every year, using a book that's 1 or 2 years old is not going to make that big of a difference if any at all. In fact, on page 35 of my 2008 Appalachian Pages there is a nice quote. It says, "The abundance of data presented in this book can tempt a hiker into over-planning. The authors would prefer to think that the book provides all the information one needs to act with spontaneity". I saw people this year with 2003 books having a great time and I've seen people with all the latest info appear frustrated because they were not "on schedule". If you are going NOBO and you know exactly where you will be in VA 47 days into your trip, do yourself a favor and throw that itinerary away. Pick a start date & an approximate finish date, take one of the handbooks with you and have some fun. A plan is simply something to deviate from.

Rockhound
07-02-2009, 10:34
that free on line info sounds great. You get up to date info and it saves you $15. Great idea. That equals another AYCE meal or hostel stay while out on the trail.

Lyle
07-02-2009, 11:59
Starting in November, Appalachian Pages will do a promotion similar to what was done last year; pre-purchase the 2010 book (which will ship in January), and get the 2009 book free, shipped right away. You'll have the "old" book for a couple of months in order to plan, and get the new one before you hit the trail.

Another great service. Appalachian Pages is also good, I use both AP and the Companion. Like features of each.

Lyle
07-02-2009, 12:02
that free on line info sounds great. You get up to date info and it saves you $15. Great idea. That equals another AYCE meal or hostel stay while out on the trail.

You missed the point to purchase a copy. A lot of work and money goes into producing these each year - don't be a free-loader. The on-line version is a nice service, don't take undue advantage.

Rockhound
07-02-2009, 12:15
You missed the point to purchase a copy. A lot of work and money goes into producing these each year - don't be a free-loader. The on-line version is a nice service, don't take undue advantage.
And do the publishers of these handbooks make a profit? Yes they do. As a consumer if I can get the same info for free (and legally) why should I not? It is not like stealing cable or illegal downloading. If you want to throw away $15 feel free to do so. I'm sure many people will. I did not miss the point at all. If you found new gear for sale by two different retailers that was exactly the same in every way except for price would you buy the one that cost more? You can piss your money away if you want to Lyle but times is tough. I'll choose to be more frugal.

Rockhound
07-02-2009, 12:19
And by the way I am not a free-loader. Wherever I go I pay my way or contribute in a manner that has more value that money. Choosing not to be a sucker does not make one a free-loader.

MOWGLI
07-02-2009, 12:23
As a consumer if I can get the same info for free (and legally) why should I not?

And by the way I am not a free-loader.

Lovely juxtaposition. :p

Rockhound
07-02-2009, 12:24
Nah. There will always be enough suckers out there that will needlessly throw their money away. Lyle for instance.

Rockhound
07-02-2009, 12:28
Lovely juxtaposition. :p
OK I guess not wanting to pay $15 for free information makes me a freeloader. One thing it does not make me is a sucker.

Rockhound
07-02-2009, 12:31
Lyle do you look for the best rates when flying? Staying in hotels? Major purchases such as cars or electronics? Please explain how this differs?

MOWGLI
07-02-2009, 12:32
OK I guess not wanting to pay $15 for free information makes me a freeloader. One thing it does not make me is a sucker.

Stick to the narrative! At least you've convinced one person. :D

Lyle
07-02-2009, 17:47

Lone Wolf
07-02-2009, 17:50

it's not freeloading. it's using something that's given to the public free of charge

Lyle
07-02-2009, 17:51

Lone Wolf
07-02-2009, 17:52
Kinda like when they stay at the Place, and choose not to give a "Donation".

not the same at all

Lone Wolf
07-02-2009, 17:54
not the same at all

don't see ALDHA askin' for a donation at all http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Lyle
07-02-2009, 17:54

Lone Wolf
07-02-2009, 17:57
Exactly the same. LW your prejudice is showing. Don't take advantage of my friends, but take whatever else you can get from someone else for free.

you're confused and F O S and what friends are you yappin' about? ALDHA wants folks to download the companion for free. don't you understand that?

Lyle
07-02-2009, 17:58

Rockhound
07-02-2009, 18:02
I leave my donations at the Place, Kincora, etc... I always leave these places as good or better than I found them. When on the trail I'll pick up trash, move fallen branches, rebuild fire pits etc...You are the one comparing apples and oranges Lyle, not me. I choose to utilize a free service instead of handing money over to someone trying to make a profit by selling the same info. why does that make me a bad guy? I'd say it makes me a smart consumer.

Rockhound
07-02-2009, 18:05
Also I am far from rich. I choose to give back in other ways. What little money I have I have to be frugal with. If you can wipe your azz with C-notes then good for you.

Lyle
07-02-2009, 18:11

emerald
07-02-2009, 18:13
I choose to utilize a free service instead of handing money over to someone trying to make a profit by selling the same info. I'd say it makes me a smart consumer.

I can understand why you may feel the updates are not worth the price. Care to share where you get your free paper and ink cartridges or maybe you have some tips on how to develop a photographic memory?

Rockhound
07-02-2009, 18:14
Folks with your attitude are why services disappear. I guess if you can't figure out the difference, then you'll never understand an explanation. Your posts speak for you loud and clear.
Folks with my attitude is what helps keep "donation" hostels going (I don't skip out & I pick up after myself) and shelter areas clean (I pack out not just my own trash but others too) and the trail passable (I'll move downed trees and branches) Folks like you Lyle think you can throw money at people and organizations to give yourself some sense of superiority and entitlement. You don't know me from Adam Lyle so don't start thinking you do.

Rockhound
07-02-2009, 18:19
I can understand why you may feel the updates are not worth the price. Care to share where you get your free paper and ink cartridges or do you have a photographic memory?
One of the reasons I hike the trail is to get away from the material world and all those so attached to it. There are plenty of ways to contribute other than financially. I am not rich so this is what I choose to do. I take advantage of a free service and now your jumping on the band wagon to condemn me for it. All i can say is have a great hike and have a nice life. Theres a lot more to it than money.

emerald
07-02-2009, 18:20
You don't know me from Adam Lyle ...

Who's Adam Lyle, some celebrity?

emerald
07-02-2009, 18:26
I take advantage of a free service and now you're jumping on the band wagon to condemn me for it.

No, I didn't jump on you or a bandwagon. I have been known to question the reading comprehension of some who post.

I inquired how you are able to make use of this year-old information in the field without incurring additional expense?

Rockhound
07-02-2009, 18:33
No, I didn't jump on you or a bandwagon. I have been known to question the reading comprehension of some who post.

I inquired how you are able to use of this year-old information in the field without incurring additional expense?
Sorry Emerald, did'nt realize you were one of those OCD anal types that needed the absolute latest info downloaded to you daily while on the trail. If you ever get over that you may find that it is possible to hike the AT with last years info. It really does not change all that much. Of course for someone like you I could see how coming across the 1st redirect without knowing about it prior might ruin your whole hike. I suggest you seek some counciling.

mister krabs
07-02-2009, 18:58
how you are able to use of this year-old information in the field without incurring additional expense?

well, come on now, everyone knows that you print it out at work! ;)

Three cheers for incidental use policies!

:banana:banana:banana:banana

emerald
07-02-2009, 18:59
Pebble Puppy, are you avoiding my question or do you have a reading comprehension issue?

I inquired how you are able to make use of ALDHA's year-old information in the field without incurring additional expense?

Rockhound
07-02-2009, 19:08
I'd answer Emerald but this has gone well beyond good natured ribbing. You're just being an *******. I go on the trail to get away from elitist pricks like you and I don't really care to continue this exchange any longer. Feel free to get in the last word.

Sly
07-02-2009, 20:05
And by the way I am not a free-loader. Wherever I go I pay my way or contribute in a manner that has more value that money. Choosing not to be a sucker does not make one a free-loader.

The online Companion is a free service provided by the ALDHA and the ATC. It practical for planning purposes. However, it would cost you nearly as much for printing, as buying the hard copy Proceeds go to the ATC and the trail.

Jack Tarlin
07-02-2009, 23:15
Geez guys, lighten up.

It's true that supporting ALDHA and the ATC by buying a current Companion is a nice thing to do, but the fact remains that ALDHA (for reasons that escape me) presently posts a a reasonably current edition of the book On-Line, for free, for anyone who wants a look at it. In doing so, they provide a FREE service, so for folks to chastise others for taking advantage of this free service and opportunity is more than a little bit ridiculous. Wolf's right. If you don't think ALDHA should offer their guidbook for free, well tell 'em that. But in that they've voluntarily offered this service for free for many years, it seems kinda silly for berating folks for checking oit the service in question. By all means, I hope hikers buy the NEXT (i.e the most current) edition of the Thru Hikier's Companion. But to bust people's balls because they use the version that ALDHA presently offers folks as a public service.....sorry, guys, find something else to bitch about, this argument is less than lame.

ShelterLeopard
07-02-2009, 23:20
I'm going to wait for the 2010 guidebook, because I already have the 2007 one, and I've heard that there are a couple hostels that might close, and one or two that are promised to spring up soon- so I'm going to hold out. And a couple places might have changed phone numbers, etc... Better safe than sorry. Oh, and there are a couple important preposed relocations that may happen, so I would wait. I was in the bad position this year of section hiking with an out of date book, and instead of 15 miles, I ended up with 19. And no water. :-P

Jack Tarlin
07-02-2009, 23:29
That's a smart post.

Whichever guidebook people elect to use, it always makes sense to use the most current edition available.

Lyle
07-03-2009, 15:32

ShelterLeopard
07-04-2009, 00:24
i just downloaded the 2009 edition for initial planning and will purchase the 2010 edition when it comes out. i greatly appreciate the service ALDHA is providing - it gives me something to read, plan, and dream about.

side point - something i've held off saying, but after reading this thread, feel compelled to say: though i GREATLY appreciate all the information and advice i've gotten on this forum, i sure hope the majority of negative posters stay at home in 2010 - getting away from people like you is one of the reasons i'm hiking the trail. i have enough negativity at work, on the highway, in stores, etc.

i'm hoping the trail will be a POSITIVE experience, and that the attitude of negative posters here is NOT indicative of the majority of thru-hikers i will meet in 2010.

TV

Yeah, I know what you mean. You ask a question and suddenly have a huge back an forth of snippy comments. Leave the bitterness at home everyone!

emerald
07-04-2009, 00:52
Leave the bitterness at home everyone!

What some may see as snippy comments might be seen as an informative exchange of ideas amongst people who over many years have developed a passion for a subject.

Those now just arriving on the scene may not understand this passion. Preparing for an extended AT hike should involve learning about issues involved with the AT's management and the essential role of volunteerism in providing this opportunity.

It's apparent given some of the more recent posts to this thread, at least part of the message is getting through.

Rockhound
07-04-2009, 08:47
Many of us are at home!:D
how about trying a thru-hike in 2010 for your 20th anniversary Emerald. See if you still got it in ya. Beats sitting at home.

emerald
07-04-2009, 09:03
That would be my 30th anniversary and while the idea appeals to me in some ways, there are other things I value more at this time.

Rockhound
07-04-2009, 10:08
Typo. pressed 2 instead of 3. If you change your mind. You might want to get a new handbook. I'm sure a lot has changed in 30 years. By the way I heard you can download a free version off the internet.:D Don't worry. I don't think anyone would be a big enough jerk to call you a freeloader if you choose to do so. After all if they did not want you to do it why would they provide it for free?

emerald
07-04-2009, 12:08
By the way I heard you can download a free version off the internet.:D

No, you can't be serious!

JessieRvnsmk
07-06-2009, 08:13
I'm starting my first Thru-hike April 2010. I bought the 2009 version for planning purposes before I realised it was available for free. If I had known that I would have saved the money and waited to get the 2010 version.

That's just me.