PDA

View Full Version : Yo-Yo Hiking

Tatertot
06-11-2009, 21:44
I am planning a Yo-Yo hike for 2010, I live in Ga and if im gonna walk to maine i figured I might as well walk back!! Im not using bounce boxes, or mail drops plan on carrying the same equip at the start as I do at end. I have my sleeping gear and other things laid out for just this purpose for example I will be using a 0 degree bag (over kill maybe but I dont like sleeping cold!) and a 11 degree liner so if i get to cold i can use that or in the summer I can use the liner as a summer bag, my base weight minus food will be about 30ish pounds so a 45 pound pack is a good target. Im wondering though how often people yo-yo this thing I have not heard much about it any ideas? oh and Im also leaving Febuary the first. I am ex millitary and have been hiking since I was 15 and will be turning 30 on the trail next year how cool is that!!

Tatertot
06-11-2009, 21:46
ok i forgot to get email notifs so this is just a garbage post sorry peeps

Lone Wolf
06-11-2009, 21:57
your chances aren't good

kayak karl
06-11-2009, 21:58
I am planning a Yo-Yo hike for 2010, I live in Ga and if im gonna walk to maine i figured I might as well walk back!! Im not using bounce boxes, or mail drops plan on carrying the same equip at the start as I do at end. I have my sleeping gear and other things laid out for just this purpose for example I will be using a 0 degree bag (over kill maybe but I dont like sleeping cold!) and a 11 degree liner so if i get to cold i can use that or in the summer I can use the liner as a summer bag, my base weight minus food will be about 30ish pounds so a 45 pound pack is a good target. Im wondering though how often people yo-yo this thing I have not heard much about it any ideas? oh and Im also leaving Febuary the first. I am ex millitary and have been hiking since I was 15 and will be turning 30 on the trail next year how cool is that!!
whatever floats your boat:rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
06-11-2009, 22:00
Good luck, have a great hike. . . :)

Tatertot
06-12-2009, 10:06
lone wolf why dont you tell me why my chances are not so good?

hikergirl1120
06-12-2009, 10:22
I would say worry about going one way first....I not trying to discourage and I am FAR less experienced than most on here. I just think going 2179 miles is incredibly challenging never mind 4358 miles....

hikergirl1120
06-12-2009, 10:23
then again who am I to say....I say go for it...set your goals and put your whole heart into it!! Hike your own hike taterot!! Woooo HOOOOOO!!!!

Tatertot
06-12-2009, 10:39
thanks hikergirl, I have often heard shoot for the stars and if you miss at least you will land on the moon, if I only make it halfway i would have already been further than most!!
I figure if you can make it to maine by that time you are in really good condition so lets see where it goes. I do want to know how many people have tried and how many have succeeded.

hikergirl1120
06-12-2009, 10:46
From what I have heard and read once hikers reach Maine sometimes they are in pretty rough shape...the New England terrain beats people up...but I guess that depends on the person.

If I were you I would try and talk to people who have actually thru hiked or even yo'yo'd (which I think is the obvious purpose of this thread)

There is ALOT of good advice to be had on this site, for me it helps to hear about other people's experiences.

Feral Bill
06-12-2009, 10:53
I expect you could trim that pack weight a fair bit without sacrificing anything. That might help you succeed and have fun.

garlic08
06-12-2009, 13:23
I don't personally know any AT yo-yoers, but I've met the successful PCT and CDT yo-yoers. They had drastically lower pack weight than you're planning, below ten pounds base weight, and they all had very extensive previous long distance hiking experience. None of them did a yo-yo their first time out. They also experienced pretty extreme hardships in the early and late seasons.

I believe a yo-yo is way more than twice as hard as a one-way. I think the extra pace requirements grow exponentially, if that makes any sense.

With a 20% +/- completion rate for a one-way hike, your skeptics are just saying that the odds are against a first-timer being successful with a highly ambitious hike, especially with a traditional pack weight. I tend to agree. But we all start somewhere. You may buck the odds, learn a lot as you go, and make it. Or try again the following year. Best of luck.

Dogwood
06-12-2009, 14:07
When you say things like, "I figured I might as well walk back" and "Im wondering though how often people yo-yo this thing I have not heard much about it any ideas?" it tells people like Lone Wolf and myself that you haven't really researched or fully grasped what a yo-yo attempt entails. Don't mistake what I'm saying! I wish you all the best. People definitely yo-yo the AT. You will not be the first. But, remember you haven't even AT thru-hiked one way yet never mind completing a yo-yo. Do you truely grasp what it means to be backpacking/living on a trail for 5 months or longer through changing seasons and conditions? You need to rethink what you are going to try. A yo-yo takes considerable time, finances, lifestyle changes, exertion, physical and mental prep and..., and..., and...,etc What I'm trying to get across to you is that seriously attempting or inquiring to finish a yo-yo should not be approached with a cavalier attitude. I'm telling you these things not because a yo-yo is impossible for you, but so that you don't approach this kind of journey unprepared. Some of the biggest reasons for such a high drop-out rate for those attempting a thru-hike of the AT, 1/2 of a yo-yo, is because thru-hikers start out unprepared with the mindset that a thru-hike can quickly or easily be finished or they have this overly romantic view of trail life. This will go double for a yo-yo.

Tatertot
06-12-2009, 14:23
Thank you dogwood for your concern, however I fully realize that their are times that it is truly going to suck!! There will be rain,snow, slick trails, tired legs, gear failure, mental anguish etc and I do know what it means to live five months in the woods I have given much thought to this I came to the decesion to yo-yo yes because Im walking there I might as well walk back, but since that time I have given serious consideration to the cost and the burden. After spending 6 months in a war zone called Iraq I am pretty sure I can handle the mental and physical aspects of the trail. What Im wanting to know is the seasonal changes and if the stores have seasonal hours ETC what extra steps need to be taken? I am not concerned about the time that it takes to complete so long as I get as much out of the northeast as I can before winter headed south. I do have a romantic view of the trail but that romance includes the hardships as well. Nothing worth doing is ever easy, makes sense, or seems possible but with a faith in God and a feeling that God is leading me here for a reason is what drives me on. Oh im scared beleive you me there are so many unknowns yet I have got to try!! Moses had his time in the wilderness I too must have mine.

Ridge Rat
06-12-2009, 14:48
Thank you dogwood for your concern, however I fully realize that their are times that it is truly going to suck!! There will be rain,snow, slick trails, tired legs, gear failure, mental anguish etc and I do know what it means to live five months in the woods I have given much thought to this I came to the decesion to yo-yo yes because Im walking there I might as well walk back, but since that time I have given serious consideration to the cost and the burden. After spending 6 months in a war zone called Iraq I am pretty sure I can handle the mental and physical aspects of the trail. What Im wanting to know is the seasonal changes and if the stores have seasonal hours ETC what extra steps need to be taken? I am not concerned about the time that it takes to complete so long as I get as much out of the northeast as I can before winter headed south. I do have a romantic view of the trail but that romance includes the hardships as well. Nothing worth doing is ever easy, makes sense, or seems possible but with a faith in God and a feeling that God is leading me here for a reason is what drives me on. Oh im scared beleive you me there are so many unknowns yet I have got to try!! Moses had his time in the wilderness I too must have mine.

Not for anything, but there are quite a few people on the trail that have been a veteran of quite a few wars. Iraq is nothing to get you ready for the trail really. I think when I was deployed at the start of both wars, I was lazier than ever when it comes to being in true hiking shape. I applaud your gung-ho'ness of a yo-yo, but the trail isn't as easy as people would like to think it is. I personally have not thru'ed but know a lot of people that have and I think if you want to look at it realisticly attempt a thru-hike. If/When you reach katahdin then consider yo-yoing. Most of the people here giving you and I and all of us advice know far more about the trail that you and I. I take what they say pretty seriously and heed their advice.

Tatertot
06-12-2009, 17:09
I heed their advice as something to watch for yes, however my final decesion will be made upon my arrival in maine but I still need to plan for it nonetheless. I have no delusions about the trail being easy I expect it to be hard really hard and I cant wait I love a good challenge. I am throughly prepared but i know there are some things that I may be forgetting thats why i posted this. I do appreciate the tips and I do think I am going reduce my bag weight some thanks

Tin Man
06-12-2009, 17:47
I heed their advice as something to watch for yes, however my final decesion will be made upon my arrival in maine but I still need to plan for it nonetheless. I have no delusions about the trail being easy I expect it to be hard really hard and I cant wait I love a good challenge. I am throughly prepared but i know there are some things that I may be forgetting thats why i posted this. I do appreciate the tips and I do think I am going reduce my bag weight some thanks

Unless you are as big as an ox, reduce it a lot, with 3-4 days food plus 1 liter of water (more water in summer in dry areas) you don't want to be over 30 pounds I imagine. 25 would be better. That's a lot of miles to cover between the deep snow, north and south, so you should plan on long days, including cooking dinner and hiking some more, maybe after dark as the days shrink.

One thing is for sure, it will not be fun or romantic unless you are really crazy. :D

Best of luck and health.

cowboy nichols
06-12-2009, 22:32
If you have the time go for it. After Iraq it will be a piece of cake. Good Luck and Thank you for your service.

fiddlehead
06-12-2009, 22:40
It sounds like a great trip.
Have fun.

One small piece of advice: When you are hiking in the summer (July and August) the 0 deg. bag is going to be a bit overkill.
Don't rule out a mail drop or two to ship yourself another sleeping bag (and get the other one back in Maine or somewhere)

Don't worry about all the naysayers. Cyber hikers love to but a stone in your shoe. (or rock in your pack)

Tin Man
06-12-2009, 23:47
It sounds like a great trip.
Have fun.

One small piece of advice: When you are hiking in the summer (July and August) the 0 deg. bag is going to be a bit overkill.
Don't rule out a mail drop or two to ship yourself another sleeping bag (and get the other one back in Maine or somewhere)

Don't worry about all the naysayers. Cyber hikers love to but a stone in your shoe. (or rock in your pack)

did anyone mention bounce box? definitely want one of those if one is spending that much time alone.

pahillbillybear
06-13-2009, 00:40
Same as girl, I am inexperienced, and moreso than her. I agree that you should set your goals high. I always do. But I think your goals should be downsized a bit to having fun everyday regardless of the weather. I also think you might want to be more concerned about getting hurt. Folks fall off the trail all the time because of small things, like crappy creek water resulting in the craps, blisters, wrong mentality, wrong gear, homesick, or something really bad like a broken leg. Now to the idea of a yo yo. I have a healthy respect for the whites. They are gorgeous and deadly. Remember, you must climb katahdin by oct 15. Then head south back through the whites. If, after you climb katahdin, your thighs are not oak, they will be because you,ll need to have the snow shoes ready because it is going to get nasty really quick. The snow is on its way. There is a decent chance you,ll be shoeing a lot of it. All the creeks will be frozen, but you'll need as much water for winter hiking as for the summer. Remember that the winter pack weight will be considerably heavier than the summer one. Do you plan on enjoying some of the wonderful relationships found on the AT? What about some of the really cool towns. Will you take the time to stop and smell the roses? Or are you going to bypass all this and miss what many thru hikers call " the best part of the trail." I probabley sound like a worthless know it all. Actually, I'm fairly well read concerning the AT. If you have not read much about the trail, I would recommend that you go to the library and check out, or to amazon to buy, a couple of good AT books. Rhyming worm (name) has a fantastic book as does david brill, larry luxenberg, and michelle ray. No, I'm not a know it all. But the folks who wrote the above books have helped me tremendously to gain a better understanding of the AT. Lastly, and these are my words, I'd say to heck with the yo yo. Just walk and have fun. Mckay, Avery and God built this thing. Enjoy the journey rather than looking for the destination. Maybe I'll see you on the trail in 2014.

Tatertot
06-13-2009, 14:48
You just may see me on the trail in 2025, First off thanks for the advice PA thats what I was looking for when I had orignally posted. Snowshoeing that sounds like fun, there was a post earlier about being crazy well im not Manson crazy but im pretty close. I say a man only lives once!! The Pioneers did it all the time and they hard far less technology, yeah admitelly alot of them died too but we have mad advances. We should never think that we can conquer mother nature but we can lessen her sting!! I have a liner that weighs 1 pound its 11 degrees so that will make a good summer bag I plan on carrying them both. so thats why I have 4.5 days roughly of food and more when I get into the hundred mile wilderness. I have been doing some research on this off and on for years this has been my dream. I would like to meet some interesting people on the trail. I will be turning 30 on the trail I have been single since getting out of service over 5 years ago, no kids no marrige and no morgtage how cool is that, Oh and no truck payments either. So we will see, I would like to see the roses before I smell them some of them might not smell so well!!! Other than that I truly love the outdoors and the outdoor experience, I would like to one day do guided tours or maybe teach the boyscouts survival skills. I must say I have done my share of hiking in the past. I just did a small one not even enough to brag about last summer I took the AT south from the NOC IN SC Down to wayah bald and then took the bartram north (man that climb to cheoah bald now that was a climb) back down the AT and out and the bartram for those that have hiked it is very poorly marked so be careful you do walk to the right side of a shooting range on one side. Well that was 70 miles and 7 days of fun. I ran out of water on the second day, I was sucking water out my tuna packs and licking the dew off of the leaves!! I could feel my kidneys start to hurt after sometime I could tell I was dehyrdated, so I stopped moving and sat still then it came a monster storm and I was catching water from the roof of the shelter. That was the best stick water I had ever drank. I have traded pocket knives for coca colas. so for those who would like to go on a 3 day hike with me with nothing but water lets go!! we will do it bear grylls style!! that just sounds like fun to me.

Nean
06-13-2009, 15:21
I'd guess at least 6 or so have done it.:confused: If you have 10 months and the $ I say why not.:) It can be done quicker, but why? :eek: I've left Springer in Jan. and finished there end of Nov. too. No big deal if you have the gear and aren't afraid to learn as you go.:-? You dont have to do huge miles or have a pack under 30 to do this.;)

Tatertot
06-13-2009, 16:12
sweet thanks NEAN thats I respect your support and thank you, I am tottaly stoked after reading that because there are about to be seven that have done it. Remember always point your toes east :eek::-? So do you think its crazy to carry the same gear all year round as long as you maintain 30ish pounds. mainly zero degree bag for winter and a +11 degree fleece liner for
summer and if the temps really drop combine them!! 5.75 pounds total. the rest is only two pair of nylon pants 4 pairs of socks with liners may buy more on trail. three nylon tees, fleece mid layer, Hard shell jacket and pants non lined. polypro tops and bottoms, msr whisperlite stove, primus 1.7 liter jet boil pot. collapsible spork, first aid for me and equipment (6 replacement buckles, stove repair, tent and pack repair) about a pound. 3 pound 3 season tent the tadpole by north face. I went for an older bag becuase i dont have much faith on the exterior of the lightweight bag seems like a rock will tear right through it I dont like it, I picked up an Acryteryx Bora 70 about 3000 ci for $100.00 guy blew out knee! ok now im am the one rambling. but not to forget the 1 liter platypus , aqua mira, gloves, fire starter, compass, temp guage etc etc.

Nean
06-13-2009, 16:38
sweet thanks NEAN thats I respect your support and thank you, I am tottaly stoked after reading that because there are about to be seven that have done it. Remember always point your toes east :eek::-? So do you think its crazy to carry the same gear all year round as long as you maintain 30ish pounds. mainly zero degree bag for winter and a +11 degree fleece liner for
summer and if the temps really drop combine them!! 5.75 pounds total. the rest is only two pair of nylon pants 4 pairs of socks with liners may buy more on trail. three nylon tees, fleece mid layer, Hard shell jacket and pants non lined. polypro tops and bottoms, msr whisperlite stove, primus 1.7 liter jet boil pot. collapsible spork, first aid for me and equipment (6 replacement buckles, stove repair, tent and pack repair) about a pound. 3 pound 3 season tent the tadpole by north face. I went for an older bag becuase i dont have much faith on the exterior of the lightweight bag seems like a rock will tear right through it I dont like it, I picked up an Acryteryx Bora 70 about 3000 ci for $100.00 guy blew out knee! ok now im am the one rambling. but not to forget the 1 liter platypus , aqua mira, gloves, fire starter, compass, temp guage etc etc.

Well, :-? you will be losing a lot of that stuff....please don't leave it in a shelter!:) I think your winter bag is too warm and your summer bag not warm enough. I carry a 25-35 degree bag and add a liner for winter. I sleep warm though and rarely zip my bag other than in winter. Figuring out your limitations and how they apply and how you adapt is all part of the adventure.:sun Don't be afraid to mail some things home or ahead. I've been known to bump my tent up the trail when the weather is going good in the summer or when the shelters are mostly empty in the off seasons. Be flexible w/ gear, miles, schedules and preconceived notions.;)

Tatertot
06-13-2009, 17:22
nean do mean intentional leaving or actually losing? I thought that I was being minimal at best. only what is needed and nothing else can you see something to trim that I have not and have alternatives to suggest?

Nean
06-13-2009, 17:34
nean do mean intentional leaving or actually losing? I thought that I was being minimal at best. only what is needed and nothing else can you see something to trim that I have not and have alternatives to suggest?

I think you will find that you are carrying too many clothes, repair kits, firestarter, etc.:-? A hiker box or hostel is the place to pass along such.:) Don't pull a Katz. :eek: Expect to learn a lot about what you actually need and use and don't be afraid to change how/what you think.;)
Start walking, you'll be great at it if it turns out to be your cup o tea.:D

pahillbillybear
06-13-2009, 20:23
Tater, doesn't matter what I or most anyone else on this site thinks of the equipment you carry, except for guys like wolf. As I said before, I would find a good book or two (such as the ones I mentioned before) and then I would read. ALL OF IT. Then I would come back to this site and play the role of the ignorant amateur and try to feed off some of the folks off this site who are experienced hikers/backpackers. Stop talking so much about the equipment that you have. Most folks on this site couldn't give a rats ass concerning the thermal rating on your bag. Most folks don't care whether you succeed or fail in your thru hike either. The one thing no one on this site wants to read about is tater getting killed on the AT. Approach these folks on this site (not me) with the humbleness of a foot washing preacher and I suspect you'll receive a decent amount of input from successful backpackers. Screw it up and start talking about your gear and yo yoing, and I suspect you'll get little or no help. Remember. You're not dodgeing bullets. You're dodgeing hypothermia, lightning, wind, loneliness, hunger, dehydration etc. All just as dangerous as a bullet. If I can give you one bit of advice though, I would say you come across as the kind of guy who will be more successful if you have someone to hike with for most if not all of the AT. That in itself is a difficult thing to find (someone who will walk 2174 miles by your side).

Lone Wolf
06-13-2009, 20:51
Tater, doesn't matter what I or most anyone else on this site thinks of the equipment you carry, except for guys like wolf.

guys like wolf certainly don't care about gear. too much or lack of has absolutely nothing to do with attaining a goal. guys like wolf know what it takes to do certain feats on the AT. that's a fact. guys like wolf really understand the difference between fantasy and reality.
have a nice walk :)

Alaskanhkr23
06-13-2009, 20:56
Tatertot,im sure if you get prepared you can do it,this site isn't all the people that do the AT. Im sure there are people who really never stop hiking the AT. In Ct there's an old guy that doese the section Cont.back and forth. Im sure there are maybe and i mean maybe a handfew that just go end to end cont. But i do not know,im not a thru-hiker.

Alaskanhkr23
06-13-2009, 20:59
Listen to people that know the trail,i know section's. The AT is very cool and beautiful but at the same time can drive you crazy or just straight up kill you. So what these older guy's are trying to say is- no matter the gear or body strength,when it comes down to it is your mind ready for that hike.

pahillbillybear
06-13-2009, 22:58
Wolf, I know little about you except you seem to have a decent amount of respect on this site. If I offended you, I apologize. I guess what I was trying to say was that some folks are a bit more experienced than guys like myself at helping someone pick out a decent tent that is sound enough to stand up to the rigors of the AT. That was an attempt at a compliment. I agree that a certain piece of equipment or a certain brand of equipment does not assure the hiker of anything but cash spent. As well, I was not questioning your ability to decide what is real or what is imaginary. I stated nothing in my message that would have caused you to infer as much. Again, my apologies. You're the man. I'm here to learn.

Blue Jay
06-14-2009, 11:01
your chances aren't good

Who care what his chances are? He'll have a great time. You may want to hitch from Gorham to Crawford Notch on the way back. Purists are not going to rag on this one.:banana

pahillbillybear
06-14-2009, 14:19
Jay, I agree with you entirely. The fun has to be there or there is no sense in trying. The only thing I am a purist at is salsa. Nothing quite like good salsa on a chip. I try to encourage people every chance I get. I think anyone can do a thru hike. I've never done one but I've never tried, yet. I'm waiting for my son to graduate from high school in 2013. We'll hike in 2014. Meantime, we'll have fun at cranberry glades and new river area in WV. There are folks on every forum who are always looking to down someone rather than encourage them. My encouragement to tater was to stop and smell the roses and find someone to hike with. Tater, if you are reading this, most people find hiking buddies on springer as well as in maine. Its no big deal. Good luck and if you stay on this forum and decide you want to hike in 2014, I'll hike a ways with you,

Colter
06-14-2009, 17:37
When you say things like, "I figured I might as well walk back" and "Im wondering though how often people yo-yo this thing I have not heard much about it any ideas?" it tells people like Lone Wolf and myself that you haven't really researched or fully grasped what a yo-yo attempt entails. Don't mistake what I'm saying! I wish you all the best. People definitely yo-yo the AT. You will not be the first. But, remember you haven't even AT thru-hiked one way yet never mind completing a yo-yo. Do you truely grasp what it means to be backpacking/living on a trail for 5 months or longer through changing seasons and conditions? You need to rethink what you are going to try. A yo-yo takes considerable time, finances, lifestyle changes, exertion, physical and mental prep and..., and..., and...,etc What I'm trying to get across to you is that seriously attempting or inquiring to finish a yo-yo should not be approached with a cavalier attitude. I'm telling you these things not because a yo-yo is impossible for you, but so that you don't approach this kind of journey unprepared. Some of the biggest reasons for such a high drop-out rate for those attempting a thru-hike of the AT, 1/2 of a yo-yo, is because thru-hikers start out unprepared with the mindset that a thru-hike can quickly or easily be finished or they have this overly romantic view of trail life. This will go double for a yo-yo.

I think I agree with everything including wishing Tatertot the best of luck. I would add that 5 months is about average for a one-way hike of the AT during the best time of year, so as others have said a yo-yo is considerably more than twice as difficult. Realistic expectations are important, and probably the best way to have realistic expectations is to put in a few hundred consecutive AT miles in preparation.

TOW
06-14-2009, 18:21
why in the world do people want to carry yo-yo's on the trail?

Tin Man
06-14-2009, 18:58
why in the world do people want to carry yo-yo's on the trail?

to kill the boredome of daily life, duh

:)

Lone Wolf
06-14-2009, 19:28
Wolf, I know little about you except you seem to have a decent amount of respect on this site. If I offended you, I apologize. I guess what I was trying to say was that some folks are a bit more experienced than guys like myself at helping someone pick out a decent tent that is sound enough to stand up to the rigors of the AT. That was an attempt at a compliment. I agree that a certain piece of equipment or a certain brand of equipment does not assure the hiker of anything but cash spent. As well, I was not questioning your ability to decide what is real or what is imaginary. I stated nothing in my message that would have caused you to infer as much. Again, my apologies. You're the man. I'm here to learn.

no offense taken at all. i do know that folks that get on here and say they're going to attempt somethin' way out of the ordinary then ask ask a bunch of ?? about extremly simple stuff like a sleepin bag, ain't gonna make it :)

Tatertot
06-14-2009, 19:44
hey lone i have learned that knowledge is power and I also understand you can learn alot from a book except for one thing and that is experience. I understand about bags and all but the experience of others always goes along way. I have a drive land a will
that will carry me a long way. and how is it out of the ordianary? if no one has the answers well I will figure it out for myself!!

SC Ryan
06-14-2009, 21:45
Hey Tot, you can do it. Be willing to make a gear change or two while you're out there and don't let the old grumpy hikers tell you no. You'll learn all you need to know about what to carry in the first few weeks. For most of us it was sending gear home or ditching it in hiker boxes

Tuney
07-27-2009, 20:10
Jay, I agree with you entirely. The fun has to be there or there is no sense in trying. The only thing I am a purist at is salsa. Nothing quite like good salsa on a chip. I try to encourage people every chance I get. I think anyone can do a thru hike. I've never done one but I've never tried, yet. I'm waiting for my son to graduate from high school in 2013. We'll hike in 2014. Meantime, we'll have fun at cranberry glades and new river area in WV. There are folks on every forum who are always looking to down someone rather than encourage them. My encouragement to tater was to stop and smell the roses and find someone to hike with. Tater, if you are reading this, most people find hiking buddies on springer as well as in maine. Its no big deal. Good luck and if you stay on this forum and decide you want to hike in 2014, I'll hike a ways with you,

I always wanted to thru-hike with my 3 sons, but they grew up went to college and now have careers and family responsibilities while I'm retired and rarin' to go. The closest I ever came was a week with all 4 of my children including my daughter who had never backpacked before at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico in the Fall of '02.:sun So now I'm planning a solo SOBO next year.

"Life is what happens while you're making other plans"

Lone Wolf
07-27-2009, 20:22
So now I'm planning a solo SOBO next year.

"Life is what happens while you're making other plans"

damn good choice

Jim Adams
07-27-2009, 23:00
I haven't yo-yo'd but I did a thru in 1990 after living on the river in a canoe for 5 months. When I finished the trail at Katahdin, I still had 991 miles of bicycling to go to get home so although the trail was done, my trip wasn't.
I again thru hiked in 2002 with no plans to do ANYTHING after Katahdin. I summited and awoke the next morning to feelings that I needed more and was not ready to quit. I started southbound with a few friends that flip-flopped and was having a great time until I came out of the woods at a road crossing in central Maine and my parents drove up in a car TOTALLY UNPLANNED! I ask what they were doing and their response was "just out riding around...figured that you would be around here somewhere" They knew that I had summited but they had no idea that I had headed back southbound or where I was. I thought about the chances of them just running into me in the middle of nowhere and I got in the car and went home..... still wonder how far I would have gotten.
Go for it! Do Ga-Me and have fun...if you still feel like hiking, turn around and keep having fun! When it stops being fun...go home!
Good luck...sounds like you could use some time away.

geek

Nasty Dog Virus
07-27-2009, 23:56
Hey Tot! Good luck man. The AT may not be like Iraq but you're ability to "improvise, adapt, & overcome" is something which will be very useful on the AT.

Look me up when you're coming thru Duncannon, PA. I'll take you to the VFW or American Legion for a few rounds.

FaceplantOG
02-08-2010, 17:28
I suggest you bring bubbles as your one piece of useless gear! The hike is long and it can get boring. Ur gonna need something thats guaranteed to make you smile for the times when you wanna quit!

CrumbSnatcher
02-08-2010, 17:42
so did tatortot start feb. 1st. 2010?

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2010, 19:01
Dunno. But I wish him well.

But I think people should probably knock out the first 2175 miles before they think about doin' it again right away, meaning planning a yo-yo ahead of timeis all well and good, and finishing it is something else altogether.

I'd get to Maine first, and pause and re-group.

Most people starting out don't make it 450 miles down the Trail, never mind making it 4500. :rolleyes:

I think people should have great dreams and great goals, but you might wanna keep them reasonable ones.

Tuney
02-08-2010, 19:04
Shoot I'll be happy if I just finish.

Sumone86
02-17-2010, 13:53
good thread guys, enjoy this yo-yo forum.

The Old Chief
02-17-2010, 19:02
Tatertot didn't start on Feb 1st and we didn't see him or hear of him that week.

Hiking4Wellness
01-21-2014, 13:25
How did your trip go? I'm planning to YOYO hike in 2014, starting March 4

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2014, 13:48
How did your trip go? I'm planning to YOYO hike in 2014, starting March 4

Tatertot didn't start on Feb 1st and we didn't see him or hear of him that week.

The OP, Tatertot, last posted in 2009. Likely, they will not reply. Likely, they did not finish. Possibly, they did not even start.

Tuney
01-21-2014, 16:08
I received an e-mail on this thread today 1/21/2014. I hiked in 2010 using an Itinerary I found on the ATC web site called "Cool Breeze" which was a 3 way split. Hiking north from VA to CT starting in early April. Flipping to Maine in July hiking back to VA in Summer. Then flipping back to the original starting point in VA and hiking home to GA in the fall.

I did make a start solo hiking north you can find my journal in the 2010 journals. I Started in Central VA, and hiked north for 11 days covering +/- 100 miles.
On the morning of the 11th day I had what I call my "Forrest Gump" moment. It was a beautiful morning, and everything was going very well. I felt good, had enough supplies, etc. etc. I just reached a point in the trail and stopped. After standing there for almost 30 minutes I understood that I had done everything I ever wanted to do and didn't have anything left to prove. So, I hiked back to the last road crossing, called a shuttle for a ride to Lynchburg, caught a train and came home. There are still some sections I would like to visit but, after years hiking with the boy scouts in the southern Appalachians, I don't need to do anymore PUDS "Pointless Ups And Downs". If I do anymore hiking, I will get together with a group of my slow hiking senior peers and do some section hiking.

Dogwood
01-21-2014, 16:52
so did tatortot start feb. 1st. 2010?

Doubt it.

The OP, Tatertot, last posted in 2009. Likely, they will not reply. Likely, they did not finish. Possibly, they did not even start.

Ditto. I'd bet my winning lottery ticket on it. As they say talk is cheap. Nice to opine at times but reality is that clues are evident in the OP's various posts that he was only thinking out loud(this would be kinda nice to do). Kinda like me saying it would be nice to own that new Ferrari and home on Star Island in Miami I've been looking at in magazines yet living in a Walmart tent in the woods expecting to obtain those things by working for minimum wage slinging fries at McDonalds. IMHO, WB is famous for these types of public fantasy announcements. Don't see many currently active yo yoers, speed record holders, etc regularly posting here do ya?