PDA

View Full Version : Tent questions

Jo-To
06-11-2009, 23:01
I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the correct forums,but here goes. I'm thinking about trying to get my pack weight down and was thinking about starting by getting a 1 man tent. I'm not too familar with alot of these,and so far the only two I looked at(online) was the Mountain Hardwear Sprite 1,and the Sierra Light Year 1. So far just from reading the specs and reviews I'm leaning towards the Mountain Hardwear. However I'm open to all other options,and would love to hear some other first hand reviews or ideas. Thanks in advance folks.

take-a-knee
06-11-2009, 23:11
This one:

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Squall_Classic.html?id=zIVTEWDA:75.89.215.112

Persistent
06-11-2009, 23:44
Take a look at the LightHeart Tent (www.lighheartgear.com (http://www.lighheartgear.com)). 26 oz. and lots of room.
Persistent

Jo-To
06-12-2009, 00:18
Thx for the input guys! Take-a-knee those look like some nice products. I only took a quick look so far,but they look like they're worth checking out.

Persistent I couldnt get the link to work so i didnt get to check em' out yet.

Survivor Dave
06-12-2009, 00:37
I'm partial to the Tarptent Contrail by Henry Shires.
http://tarptent.com/

ShakeyLeggs
06-12-2009, 03:58
Take a look at the LightHeart Tent (www.lighheartgear.com (http://www.lighheartgear.com)). 26 oz. and lots of room.
Persistent

Persistent I couldnt get the link to work so i didnt get to check em' out yet.

http://lightheartgear.com/

stranger
06-12-2009, 04:11
In addition to what's been listed, check out Big Agnes and MSR as well

Reid
06-12-2009, 07:07
In addition to what's been listed, check out Big Agnes and MSR as well

I've always heard good things about the Big Agnes solo tents

Engine
06-12-2009, 07:10
Six Moon Designs and Tarptent both have some great one man models.

NCYankee
06-12-2009, 07:44
I'm a big fan of my Big Agnes SL1

Peaks
06-12-2009, 07:48
Whatever the choice, try it on before buying. Make sure there is enough room inside for yourself and everything else that you want inside

Feral Bill
06-12-2009, 11:04
I'd avoid the tiniest nylon coffins. Enough room is worth some weight. A small two person tent is worth it to me.

You might also consider a basic tarp. That would be less than 1 1/2 pounds altogether and be very roomy. Lots of room fo bugs too, when there out.

garlic08
06-12-2009, 12:58
Another vote for the Henry Shires Contrail Tarptent, if you're open to the single-wall design option with it's plusses and minuses. Two thru hikes and 5000 miles, and mine still looks nearly new. Good design, lots of room.

Jo-To
06-12-2009, 13:43
Thanks for all the ideas guys.I've been checking them out all morning. My next question is how do you guys like the designs that use your trekking poles instead of traditional tent poles. Are they sturdy enough,easy set-up,etc?

bigcranky
06-12-2009, 14:56
My next question is how do you guys like the designs that use your trekking poles instead of traditional tent poles. Are they sturdy enough,easy set-up,etc?

I've had several tarps and tarptents that use my trekking pole. It works very well, in my experience.

garlic08
06-12-2009, 15:17
Thanks for all the ideas guys.I've been checking them out all morning. My next question is how do you guys like the designs that use your trekking poles instead of traditional tent poles. Are they sturdy enough,easy set-up,etc?

Trekking poles are fine as shelter supports. I like the elegance of dual-use. I know Henry Shires sells an auxiliary front pole if you don't use trekking poles or are traveling by bicycle.

Ridge Rat
06-12-2009, 15:26
I carry the mt. hardware sprite 1 when I dont feel like dealing with setting up my tarp or the bugs are really bad. I like the extra room by my head so I dont feel as confined as a standard single man tent. It's cheaper than a tarptent though heavier. If you dont mind bugs, buy a silnylon tarp.

Jo-To
06-12-2009, 15:46
I carry the mt. hardware sprite 1 when I dont feel like dealing with setting up my tarp or the bugs are really bad. I like the extra room by my head so I dont feel as confined as a standard single man tent. It's cheaper than a tarptent though heavier. If you dont mind bugs, buy a silnylon tarp.

The Sprite 1 was actually the first one that i looked into.Out of about 10 reviews i read on it 6 out-of-10 recommened it. How do you like yours compared to a larger 2 person tent when it comes to comfort,set-up etc?

Two Tents
06-12-2009, 15:58
Tarp tent contrail. Dual use with your trekking poles. Light, easy to set up, no bugs, and stay dry! Sweet!

mooseboy
06-12-2009, 16:22
If you still want a tent, and not a tarp, I've heard many good things about the Eureka Spitfire...

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10495

I personally carry an SD Clip Flashlight, which is really a small 2-person, just over 4lbs... not the lightest, I know, but I like moving around at night. This tent also really kept the rain out during a couple downpours. Plus I can bring my pack all the way in. But that's just me.

Survivor Dave
06-12-2009, 16:23
Tarp tent contrail. Dual use with your trekking poles. Light, easy to set up, no bugs, and stay dry! Sweet!

Jo-To, here is a YouTube of a guy setting up the Contrail tent. This model is 2 years old and there is no orange cord anymore at the foo(not needed). You actually can use both of your trekking poles and form an "A" so you have a bit easier access to the entry.
This video gets stuck at the beginning so give the Play slide bar a bump.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwjIXzyqng0
YouTube is a bit slow today.

This guy does not work for Tarptent.
Yes, it takes a few tries to get the tautness adjusted, but it really is easy and fast.

And what Two Tents said!

I'm not really a fan of Backpacker Ragazine in general, but in the 2009 Gear Guide, it was their favorite UL tent.

Franco
06-12-2009, 21:15
Nice video.
As a suggestion, it is easier to roll the shelter up using the struts, so starting from the other end.
Here is a real time video of how quickly it can be set up :
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/1430969/4921727 (http://video.yahoo.com/watch/1430969/4921727)
Excuse the weird sounds from my pond and a plane overhead.
(no I don't work for TT either...)
Franco

Lyle
06-12-2009, 21:40
How is the Contrail for room at the foot end, especially when pitched low for stormy weather. That is my biggest complaint with the single walls that I've used. They are so low when pitched for a storm, that the foot (and with some, my head) always brush the tent fabric and get very wet from the condensation.

What would everyone say is the best in this regard?

Franco
06-12-2009, 21:55
There are several ways of setting up the Contrail for stormy weather, the one I use is simply my added pole section at the back. If the wind still bothers me I put the backpack down there. (the floor is 84" long)
I don't bother to lower the sides as in this picture, but you can. The mid pole is 16" high, so even if you are 6' something your bag will still not touch the fly.
Note that I always set it up that taut, that is how and why it works even in "bad" weather...
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Contrail/Contrail-full-help.jpg

garlic08
06-12-2009, 22:28
A friend of mine pitched his Contrail exactly like Franco's photo for a snow storm in April and liked it so much (he's over 6' with big feet) that he used that same pitch for the rest of the AT hike, no matter what the weather. It only takes one extra stake which he carried anyway and gave him excellent foot room.

Survivor Dave
06-12-2009, 22:36
Nice video.
As a suggestion, it is easier to roll the shelter up using the struts, so starting from the other end.
Here is a real time video of how quickly it can be set up :
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/1430969/4921727 (http://video.yahoo.com/watch/1430969/4921727)
Excuse the weird sounds from my pond and a plane overhead.
(no I don't work for TT either...)
Franco

There are several ways of setting up the Contrail for stormy weather, the one I use is simply my added pole section at the back. If the wind still bothers me I put the backpack down there. (the floor is 84" long)
I don't bother to lower the sides as in this picture, but you can. The mid pole is 16" high, so even if you are 6' something your bag will still not touch the fly.
Note that I always set it up that taut, that is how and why it works even in "bad" weather...
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Contrail/Contrail-full-help.jpg

Now that was pretty cool Franco. Did you get the tent in it's early stages? I have the tieout loop at the foot, but was not aware of a 16" pole for it. I use my trekking pole(s) for the front.
I'm 5'10" and don't really touch the foot of the bag to the tent or fly.

I was also wondering why you pushed the struts in the ground rather than staking out and lifting them at the end......then adjusting the guyouts.

Sorry for the swerve but it was to cool to pass up.:D

Record time huh? I challenge you to a dual! Just kidding.:D

Franco
06-12-2009, 22:59
Hi Dave
The one in the video clip is the 06 version. The one on the photo above is the 08, that is the one I use now.
The video was done because a guy that had a still camera that captured on AVI wanted to post a clip on Yahoo Video.. The AVI files are pretty large. So my challenge was to get a 1 min clip around 1 megabyte starting from AVI without buying any software.
I did that with my Pentax Optio WPi, transcoded with Bink (freeware) and compressed it with Movie Maker. So the content of the clip was sort of incidental except that I had to do it in under 1 minute.
In the real world I usually do stake it out , then lift it when I do the front but sometime I start at the front in a similar fashion to the guy in the other clip.
You are welcome to better the record, but I warn you that I had a bit of wind that provably caused a 2 sec delay. Some extra caffeine could also help.
Note that I started with the tent inside the sack but the pole was at the right height (that is my hiking height...)
I also had the advantage of the home ground but no cheering squad.

The extra rear pole has nothing to do with Tarptent, just my way of doing it....
(you can use your spare pole or a stick, I find it convenient for the extra ounce to have it there ready to be used)
Franco

Survivor Dave
06-12-2009, 23:17
Hi Dave
The one in the video clip is the 06 version. The one on the photo above is the 08, that is the one I use now.
The video was done because a guy that had a still camera that captured on AVI wanted to post a clip on Yahoo Video.. The AVI files are pretty large. So my challenge was to get a 1 min clip around 1 megabyte starting from AVI without buying any software.
I did that with my Pentax Optio WPi, transcoded with Bink (freeware) and compressed it with Movie Maker. So the content of the clip was sort of incidental except that I had to do it in under 1 minute.
In the real world I usually do stake it out , then lift it when I do the front but sometime I start at the front in a similar fashion to the guy in the other clip.
You are welcome to better the record, but I warn you that I had a bit of wind that provably caused a 2 sec delay. Some extra caffeine could also help.
Note that I started with the tent inside the sack but the pole was at the right height (that is my hiking height...)
I also had the advantage of the home ground but no cheering squad.

The extra rear pole has nothing to do with Tarptent, just my way of doing it....
(you can use your spare pole or a stick, I find it convenient for the extra ounce to have it there ready to be used)
Franco

Well hell man, I just e-mailed Henry to ask him about the 16" pole!:D I think he'll get a good chuckle, or use the idea. No worries, I like the idea.

Thanks again.

Deadeye
06-13-2009, 09:29
I'd avoid the tiniest nylon coffins. Enough room is worth some weight. A small two person tent is worth it to me.

Absolutely! I have a TarpTent Squall, a two person tent, two pounds total (it's an older model, still sold by gossamer gear - the current model is 34 ounces). Plenty of room for two, luxurious for one, and no need to be a contortionist to get dressed.

Lyle
06-13-2009, 10:22
Well, the photos and comments answer my question and concern. Folks modify the design to allow more foot room.

I'll keep looking, I guess.

FamilyGuy
06-13-2009, 10:50
Hi Lyle, I am 6'1" and use a Long version of sleeping bag. If in 'storm' mode, you will have enough length for your bag without touching the end. However, if you use a high loft bag, the top of the foot end of your bag will likely touch the ceiling of the shelter. I am not sure I would worry about condensation in this case because if you have pitched it in 'storm' mode then there is wind blowing. If the wind is blowing you will likely not have any accumulated condensation.

Jo-To
06-13-2009, 12:45
Whats everyone's opinion on the Eureka Spitfire? I found one for around $109. shipped,but theres no retailers in my area that carry or have it in stock,so I would be buying blind.

daddytwosticks
06-13-2009, 13:11
The Spitfire solo is a fine tent for the money. I love mine. Ditch the heavy stakes...I use four cheap aluminum hook stakes. With a painter's plastic tarp cut-to-fit footprint, the whole shebang comes to about 3 pounds dead even. :)

Jo-To
06-14-2009, 13:25
Well I finally made a choice and went with a Big Anges Seedhouse SL1. Just got home from picking it up,set in up in the yard and love it. Now I cant wait to actually use in! Thanks for all the ideas and advice folks,I love this forum,always great people.

Ranc0r
06-14-2009, 13:54
I have the Seedhouse SL2, as I'm a big fellow and HATE feeling claustro when kept in by weather. When my wife and I go out, I bring a 3-person dome tent, and we both have plenty of room and no poles in the middle (you know, just in case :rolleyes: ). I love the SL2, and found a deal on SAC that came with the footprint. Great bargain on a great tent.

FWIW, on short solo trips, I hang in my hammock - swaying to the breezes.

Ranc0r

El Toro '94
06-14-2009, 13:59
Depends on how claustrophobic you are. I tried a one-man tent then a OR bivy to try to save weight and found both to be a PITA for me, mostly for getting into and out of. I like to be able to at least sit up in mine, and I found both styles to be too confining, especially if I get stuck in the same place for a day or two by the weather. But that's just me. I'm going without a tent until I reach Damascus (SOBO from DWG this winter), then have a 2 person Tarptent(2 pounds) until SPringer.