PDA

View Full Version : Through hiker schedule question: Shenandoah

macleisure
06-12-2009, 09:01
I'm a photographer who is planning to pursue a photo essay next year (portraits of through hikers), and am trying to schedule my trip to the Shenandoah to correspond with the largest amount of through hikers the area will have in 2010. From what I've heard so far, it seems like mid-June is the time to be hitting the area for those running north-to-south. Am I on the right track? I'm planning on doing this on the trail (shelter site), not at one of the car-people spots.

World-Wide
06-12-2009, 09:12
I'm a photographer who is planning to pursue a photo essay next year (portraits of through hikers), and am trying to schedule my trip to the Shenandoah to correspond with the largest amount of through hikers the area will have in 2010. From what I've heard so far, it seems like mid-June is the time to be hitting the area for those running north-to-south. Am I on the right track? I'm planning on doing this on the trail (shelter site), not at one of the car-people spots.

Hey macleisure...I'm not even in the same league as most of these folks here on WB, but from everything I've read on this site and books I've purchased, SOBO are just taking off around mid-june. It seems like August in Vermont and New Hampshire are when NOBO's and SOBO's are really saying "Hey" to one another! I'm attempting my first thru-hike in 2010 and would never claim to be an expert, this is just what my research has revealed to me! Best of luck!!! And apologize if my info is bad!! :o

Kerosene
06-12-2009, 09:34
You should encounter a number of NOBO thru-hikers in SNP in mid-June; probably over 100 in any one week.

As World-Wide notes, SOBO thru-hikers rarely start south from Katahdin before June, so they won't get to SNP until the Fall.

macleisure
06-12-2009, 10:49
Thank you! I messed up, meant to type south-to-north (Kerosene, you saw through my addled typing to what I meant to ask). I haven't been on the Shenandoah portion in June before, but noticed the few through hikers I met on the trail in July a couple of years ago were running behind and trying to make up time.