PDA

View Full Version : Tents at shelters in GSM

jcramin
06-12-2009, 11:14
I posted this in another section but noticed it may be the wrong section so I am reposting this here. My other post can be deleted if necessary, and sorry for the problem.

BUT, We plan on doing part of the AT in the Smoky Mountain Nation Park in October and I was wondering if we could set up tents near the shelters or if we have to stay in the shelter if there is room?

We dont know how many of us we will have but it may be 5-6 or it may be 15-20 Boys Scouts and adult leaders.

Thanks,
J

SmokyMtn Hiker
06-12-2009, 11:19
It is ILLEAGAL to set up a tent at a shelter in the GSMNP. You have to get reservations for shelters, which can only be obtained no more than 30 days in advance of your stay.

jcramin
06-12-2009, 11:32
Thank you for the quick answer

SmokyMtn Hiker
06-12-2009, 11:36
I should also mention to have more than one itinerary. The park will close shelters with heavy bear activity and that time of year it gets worse. I done my section hike last October in the Smokies had a hard time making reservations due to the closures which seemed to change every few days. Good luck and have fun.

OldStormcrow
06-12-2009, 11:38
Something to keep in mind....groups who are camping in the back country are limited in size to 8 unless they are staying at one of the designated group camping areas, none of which are on the A.T.