PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk Katahdin

hikergirl1120
06-12-2009, 11:19
Planning on hiking Katahdin on July 1st (the start of my SOBO thru).

I have never attempted it before.

What's up with the "Knife's Edge"? Is that part of the AT, didn't think it was but not sure...

Any advice about the mountain??

I will be hiking up from Katahdin stream campground

Ridge Rat
06-12-2009, 13:28
Knifes edge is not part of the AT, but apart of the international AT. I have hiked it twice. Knifes edge is by far the better way to go up, but not officially the AT.

hikergirl1120
06-12-2009, 13:30
Better for views??? It looks kind of scary

Jeff
06-12-2009, 13:40
Better for views??? It looks kind of scary

Right on both counts. It's scary, fun!!!!!

Many NOBO hikers take the AT (Hunt Trail) up and the Knife Edge down. But, they need to coordinate a shuttle since the trailheads are far apart.

Buzz_Lightfoot
06-12-2009, 14:12
No, knife edge ins't the AT. You will not traverse it from teh campground you are starting at.

Bring plenty of water. When I summited "Thoreau Spring" was a damp spot. (:

emerald
06-12-2009, 16:47
Many NOBO hikers take the AT (Hunt Trail) up and the Knife Edge down.

The Knife Edge should be attempted only by hikers who show proper respect toward Pamola (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamola). Taylor or Dudley and Roaring Brook are the trails to Roaring Brook Campground.

Roy Dudley mentioned in the Wiki article link and Helon N. Taylor were long-time Baxter State Park employees whose contributions are honored by the trails which bear their names.

buckwheat
06-12-2009, 17:56
I'd also recommend that you spend some time looking over the website here:

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/

In researching a trip to Baxter State Park, I've found their reservation requirements to be fairly strict. You have to plan longer ahead owing to the lack of facilities in Baxter and its popularity.

Many national parks and even most state parks, you can just show up. I don't think that's as true for Baxter, judging from what I'm reading.

Others who've actually been there may be able to offer more information. I find it difficult to plan four months in advance (which is what they recommend for camping reservations). Don't know if it's really that bad, but that's what the website says.

Cheers,
Buckwheat

Tin Man
06-12-2009, 18:06
knife edge up, hunt trail (AT) down, finest way to start a sobo, imo

Red Hat
06-12-2009, 18:20
Most folks just do Hunt up and Hunt down. Simplest, easiest way from Katahdin Stream. No shuttles necessary. Even an old lady can do it (I did July 1 last year)

mudhead
06-12-2009, 18:24
If you have never climbed it, Hunt Trail up and down. Something special about popping out of the trees and looking up. Looks different coming back down.

Wander out 100 yards on the Knifedge to get a taste.

I think there might be something to the whole Pamola thing. Not sure how to even explain.

Dudley is a pain to go down. Very cool trail going up.

Ox97GaMe
06-12-2009, 20:02
Knife's Edge is not a bad hike in good weather. It is considerably more dangerous in bad weather. High wind or rain along that route will make you wish you hadnt started out there. It is only a mile from Baxter Peak to Panola Peak. Take your time and enjoy an hour. Also be aware......... on a good day, there will be lots of locals hiking across the Edge. There are places where passing is difficult. If you have your thru hiker pack, hopefully, they will give you the right of way, but dont always count on it. New Englanders dont always have the best manners.

Enjoy your hike. Give us a shout when you get down into my area.

emerald
06-12-2009, 23:32
I remember an image I liked of The Knife Edge maybe from South Peak. When I tried to relocate it the last time I tried to find it, I couldn't.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=8641

The Mechanical Man
06-13-2009, 03:17
You could DIE there, listen to the park rangers. :-?

woodsy
06-13-2009, 08:50
. New Englanders dont always have the best manners.

:confused::confused::confused:

mudhead
06-13-2009, 09:04
Obviously talking about people from the south side of the river.

People can be curt up this way.

woodsy
06-13-2009, 10:08
Obviously talking about people from the south side of the river.

Guess so, i live here and have very good manners. Yes mam, no mam, yes sir, no sir, please, thank you, etc.....
Some paint with very broad brushes.

vonfrick
06-13-2009, 10:12
woodsy's a jerk ;):p:D

woodsy
06-13-2009, 10:20
Why thank you Vonfrick, see, i've got manners.
Anyhow, you ain't really climbed Katahdin till you've been across the Knife Edge and summited Pamola and Chimney Peaks, just sayin, don't let that summit sign fool you.

grizzlyadam
06-13-2009, 10:28
Here is a good knife edge image for you:

Knife Edge (http://www.wacphotography.com/WAC_portfolio/Appalachian_Trail/images/knife%20edge%20III.jpg)

I started from Roaring Brook Campground early one morning, climbed to Pamola Peak, crossed the Knife Edge to Baxter Peak, and then continued south on the AT. What a great day and a fun way to start a hike....

mudhead
06-13-2009, 10:38
Why thank you Vonfrick, see, i've got manners.
Anyhow, you ain't really climbed Katahdin till you've been across the Knife Edge and summited Pamola and Chimney Peaks, just sayin, don't let that summit sign fool you.

Can't spell worth spit, but you do have a point. Speaking of points

I have always wanted to take a nap on that big pointed rock, but am always kind of charged up.

Can't quite bring myself to go down to it.

Fine pic grizz. Got any good ones looking over the edge?

woodsy
06-13-2009, 10:57
Lots of pictures here (http://images.google.com/images?q=Katahdin+Pamola+and+Chimney+Peaks+picture s&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=KbwzSqTjLqLKtAOrna3jCg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title) of what many people don't climb. Enjoy! :sun

weary
06-15-2009, 23:21
Here is a good knife edge image for you:

Knife Edge (http://www.wacphotography.com/WAC_portfolio/Appalachian_Trail/images/knife%20edge%20III.jpg)

I started from Roaring Brook Campground early one morning, climbed to Pamola Peak, crossed the Knife Edge to Baxter Peak, and then continued south on the AT. What a great day and a fun way to start a hike....
Comeon, Grizzly. We've all taken that picture. I've been watching for decades now. No one has ever yet fallen off those steep sides -- not ever. Occasionally people get careless -- like on all trails -- and trip and fall forward and bust something.

But no one -- no one really -- has fallen to either side. It looks scary. It is scary. But it is safe. One woman 40 or so years ago did climb off to one side and after wandering down for a quarter mile or so, fell on a ledge in a September snow storm and died -- along with the ranger that tried to rescue her. But otherwise -- good weather or bad -- everyone else seems to have survived. Though to be sure from time to time with a broken limb from stumbling. You know, like on most trails.

Weary

vonfrick
06-15-2009, 23:28
i'm not going to fall since i'll be crawling along on my belly!!

weary
06-16-2009, 10:32
i'm not going to fall since i'll be crawling along on my belly!!
That's okay for most of the knife edge. But at one place the foot path is only 8 inches wide. You'll be safer holding onto the very convenient adjacent rock face with plenty of hand holds, than crawling.

Weary

mudhead
06-16-2009, 11:40
Now I gotta take a tape up there.

It does get kinda narrow. Good spot for hands.

hikergirl1120
06-18-2009, 14:15
I think I am just going to stick to the AT up and down....

Nean
06-18-2009, 14:33
I want to summit July 8th. I wonder what my chances are of driving in that morning, climb and leave that afternoon??

hikergirl1120
06-18-2009, 15:31
I am driving in, climbing and then camping out at Katahdin stream

Safari
06-19-2009, 08:14
should i bring bear food?

Safari
06-19-2009, 08:19
scrap that, rewind-shouldn't have posted that, dumb, dumb, off topic and just asking for trouble really... grrr

Tinker
06-19-2009, 08:31
Knife's Edge is not a bad hike in good weather. It is considerably more dangerous in bad weather. High wind or rain along that route will make you wish you hadnt started out there. It is only a mile from Baxter Peak to Panola Peak. Take your time and enjoy an hour. Also be aware......... on a good day, there will be lots of locals hiking across the Edge. There are places where passing is difficult. If you have your thru hiker pack, hopefully, they will give you the right of way, but dont always count on it. New Englanders dont always have the best manners.

Enjoy your hike. Give us a shout when you get down into my area.

No need for the last comment. I met plenty of nasty people when I lived in the south, too. Remember that line in the song "Ebony and Ivory" - "...we all know people are the same wherever you go, there is good and bad in everyone".
So true.

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 08:34
I think I am just going to stick to the AT up and down....
Yup, the Hunt Trail is beautiful:sun

I want to summit July 8th. I wonder what my chances are of driving in that morning, climb and leave that afternoon??
Probly not the best idea. . . it's over ten miles up and back. . . a full day in itself, then another 9 + out of Baxter. . . . enjoy the mountain and head out the next morning. . . .:)

should i bring bear food?
Yes. . . just throw food scraps and crumbs under the shelter so the next campers will get to enjoy the wildlife too. . . :p

Tinker
06-19-2009, 08:37

If you don't have reservations you will have to wait in line and hope you get in. The only other way I know that you will be guaranteed entrance into the park is if you've hiked at least the "Hundred Mile Wilderness", which I did last September. My son met me at Abol bridge at the lean-to camping area (just so I retain my "reputation" - I hammocked :)) and they had to check to make sure he could accompany me, finally allowing him in, but telling us we couldn't stay at the Birches because he wasn't a long distance hiker. Katahdin Stream was much nicer, anyway.

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 09:00
If you don't have reservations you will have to wait in line and hope you get in. The only other way I know that you will be guaranteed entrance into the park is if you've hiked at least the "Hundred Mile Wilderness", .
That's really not good info. . . I have and know many others who have walked in and there's always been space somewhere. . . . Nean, you'll be fine although a reservation does shore up your plans a little, there's always room for someone headed SOBO. . . :):)

hikergirl1120
06-19-2009, 09:45
About getting into the park, I have reservations for the 30th...but was told that you can't check in til like 11 so i was going to "get in line" at like 4:30 am for the 5 am open of the park, hike Katahdin and then check into my tent site....you think I will have problems literally getting in to the park??? I am nervous about Baxter because i have never been there LOL

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 09:46
About getting into the park, I have reservations for the 30th...but was told that you can't check in til like 11 so i was going to "get in line" at like 4:30 am for the 5 am open of the park, hike Katahdin and then check into my tent site....you think I will have problems literally getting in to the park??? I am nervous about Baxter because i have never been there LOL
No, it'll all work out girl, the rangers are very good to hikers. . . have a blast:sun

hikergirl1120
06-19-2009, 09:47
No, it'll all work out girl, the rangers are very good to hikers. . . have a blast:sun

Thanks for constantly reassuring me lol :sun

Woooo Hooooo I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 09:50
Thanks for constantly reassuring me lol :sun

Woooo Hooooo I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana
http://www.emcc.edu/cmtimages/Mt.%20Katahdin.jpg

hikergirl1120
06-19-2009, 09:53
http://www.emcc.edu/cmtimages/Mt.%20Katahdin.jpg

Amen to that!!:D

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 09:59
Amen to that!!:D
http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/display/dafe00c6-86c0-481d-ad8d-8b597545dbe7.jpg

Red Beard
06-19-2009, 10:01
For those who have hiked the Knife's Edge, how hard was it to keep from falling? I'm kind of a clutz, and rely on my hiking stick a lot.

vonfrick
06-19-2009, 10:09
For those who have hiked the Knife's Edge, how hard was it to keep from falling? I'm kind of a clutz, and rely on my hiking stick a lot.

kinda funny if anyone who did fall responded!

Red Beard
06-19-2009, 10:29
kinda funny if anyone who did fall responded!

:-? Hrmmmmm.... good point. I didn't actually mean fall off though, probably should have said tripped up. :D

Just trying to gauge how good (or bad) an idea it would be for me to attempt it.

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 10:33
:-? Hrmmmmm.... good point. I didn't actually mean fall off though, probably should have said tripped up. :D

Just trying to gauge how good (or bad) an idea it would be for me to attempt it.
Report is, nobody ever fell off the knife edge. . .

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 10:36

i got cut with a knife once or twice... bad knife... i still use it though

woodsy
06-19-2009, 10:37
...and lived to tell about it....

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 10:51
You're such a stickler for details. . . .

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 10:55

i dunno, sounds like hearsay to me :confused:

woodsy
06-19-2009, 10:58

I know !!!:rolleyes:

woodsy
06-19-2009, 11:05
OK, details of deaths in Baxter Park. (http://www.katahdinoutdoors.com/bsp/fatalities.html)
There was a 16 year old that fell off Knife edge to his death
More likely to die of heart attack than anything else seems.

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 11:20
OK, details of deaths in Baxter Park. (http://www.katahdinoutdoors.com/bsp/fatalities.html)

wow that lightening stuff is nasty.... i try to avoid home brews

have any died of canadian wind chill?

Donnie
06-19-2009, 11:36

I was planning a similar route when starting my SOBO thru attempt. What would be the best way to go about registering with Baxter SP rangers as per regulations? I have checked the website that suggested registering at Abol Stream or Katahdin Stream but am still unsure how to get from there to Roaring Brook Campground.

I will have to do a more thorough look over my maps when I get a chance but was wondering what you all had in mind.

-Donnie

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 11:39
Damn Woodrow, that's actually an interestin history of the mountain. . . .:) . . . so has that sight not been updated or has no one died there in the last 11 years??

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 11:42
I was planning a similar route when starting my SOBO thru attempt. What would be the best way to go about registering with Baxter SP rangers as per regulations? I have checked the website that suggested registering at Abol Stream or Katahdin Stream but am still unsure how to get from there to Roaring Brook Campground.

I will have to do a more thorough look over my maps when I get a chance but was wondering what you all had in mind.

-Donnie
Climbing up and then back down the Hunt Trail is a great way to start your SOBO. . . .
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/index.html

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 11:43
Damn Woodrow, that's actually an interestin history of the mountain. . . .:) . . . so has that sight not been updated or has no one died there in the last 11 years??

this site says 19 fatalities on 'Katahdin alone' since 1963

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/hikingtips.html

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 11:45
from here (dated 2005) ... http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8071

there have been a few since 98, but i guess the list hasn't been updated. There was a guy who died on the cathedral trail from a boulder slide, i believe last year. There was a kid around high school age that died 2 years ago from what was i believe heat exhaustion. It was around june 14th. I had been there either right before or right after that incident, i don't recall. I hiked up one day w/ my dad, and the next morning we helped haul a young female down on a stretcher that had hurt her knee and had spent the night in the chimney pond area. It had been really hot at the time and the bugs were ferocious. You couldn't stop for more than a few seconds w/out getting eaten. The younger guy might have been dehydrated from the heat and running from the bugs. We talked to the ambulance driver for a few seconds when they were bringing the girl away, and he had actually gone to gulf hagas the day before and brought 2 bodies out from the gorge, 2 guys from texas i believe who had been jumping head first into the gorge. I also recall seeing a story about a guy w/ one leg that climbed up the hunt trail but was too exhausted to make it down, so they flew a helicopter up to get him on the tablelands. That was a year or 2 ago. He had a journal online at trailjournals.com.

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 11:48
2007 lightening death... be careful out there

http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/015041.html

woodsy
06-19-2009, 11:54
have any died of canadian wind chill?
there is one reported death caused by a canadian draft dodger

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 11:55
there is one reported death from canadian draft dodger :rolleyes:
The way I read it it was bullet breeze that killed him. . . damn Canadians. . . always avoiding the wind chill issue. . . .

woodsy
06-19-2009, 11:58
The way I read it it was bullet breeze that killed him. . . damn Canadians. . . always avoiding the wind chill issue. . . .
Just like the wild wild west up ther. shoot-outs and all....

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 12:00
Just like the wild wild west up ther. shoot-outs and all....

no experienced required, yeppers

Nean
06-19-2009, 14:46
Thanks for the info folks, think I got it figured out. :) As for the Knife edge- I've been up it and down it and like it and recommend it. It is no more sketchy than places on the Hunt IMO. :-? I'm looking forward to hiking w/ the SOBO nation of 09 and even them dern herds of nobos!!!!!:D:D:D

woodsy
06-19-2009, 16:54
Its pretty safe overall, if you don't have a heart attack, get struck by lightning, fall off the knife edge, get shot by a Canadian draft dodger, get stricken by Canadian wind chill(the worst kind) you should be alright.