PDA

View Full Version : I have 3 days off to summit Katahdin...

Manwich
06-12-2009, 14:09
My summer schedule is pretty well booked. If given 3-days in a row to do it... how?

I figure 1 day travelling there, 1 day traverse, 1 day travelling home (from New Jersey)

How would you do it? If you were me, where would you sleep for 2 nights? Could I park my car close enough to where I can hop out on day 2, put my daypack on, climb then come back down on the AT back to my car? (if even the same way up is the same way down)

Buzz_Lightfoot
06-12-2009, 14:21
1 day drive form NJ? Well, if you have a lot of stamina. If you have never been there before you may not realize just how FAR Baxter is from NJ. While I've done it in one go from NW NJ I was totaly dead by the time I got home. I usually take two days to get there. (I spend the night in Freeport if I can. :))

If you are tired from a (very) long drive I doubt you will find the experience enjoyable. It's about a 10 mile round trip from katahdin Stream campground. Part of it is quite steep.

I hate to say this but if all you have is 3 days I do not think it is practical.

BL

Ridge Rat
06-12-2009, 14:22
stay at abol bridge campground on nights 1 and 2, wake up day 2 hike the AT up to the summit, come down same night (you have to anyway) stay at abol bridge, go home day 3

Manwich
06-12-2009, 14:32
Well I would definitely hammer out the drive in one day. I have no qualms waking up at 5am and driving 10 hours. I often drive 6-7 to nh/vt.

Is there parking near abol bridge campground? reservations (for mid july?)

Ridge Rat
06-12-2009, 14:53
Well I would definitely hammer out the drive in one day. I have no qualms waking up at 5am and driving 10 hours. I often drive 6-7 to nh/vt.

Is there parking near abol bridge campground? reservations (for mid july?)

I meant abol campground... sorry got screwed up but same difference. Mid july good luck with that... sobo's are going to swamping the area at that time and then you have to think about the sectioners and day hikers.... It's worth a try. Call baxter and go for it. Good luck and have fun.

Manwich
06-12-2009, 14:55
Well I dont have a set 3 days, theyre still variable. between mid june to end of september.

mudhead
06-12-2009, 14:56
Too much drive for the payout. @ 5 hours to Baxter from the state border. Give or take.

Camp in the park, yes to reservations.

Save it for when you have more time. Or not.

Kerosene
06-12-2009, 15:29
Yep, 10 hours of drive time from central Jersey is about right. I've driven longer for less pay-off.

While I'd love to summit Katahdin, it will happen when I've hiked the rest of the AT. With 3 days off, willing to drive, and looking for something outdoors, I might consider climbing Mt. Washington also, or even spending a day at Acadia National Park (I haven't been there yet but I hear that it's lovely).

modiyooch
06-12-2009, 18:55
I did it. I flew to Bangor and drove to E. Millinocket and spent the night. We got up at 4am, travelled to the park and waited in line at the gate before the park opened. 5 am i think. Parked at the parking lot for the AT summit. Had beautiful weather. Awesome climb. Returned to E. Millinocket for the night.

TJ aka Teej
06-12-2009, 20:49
If given 3-days in a row to do it... how?
Look for two nights in a row at Katahdin Stream Campground. Drive, camp, wake up and climb, campfire and sleep, wake up and drive home.
Use this BSP tool:
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/bsp_public/scripts/BSP_Public.exe/poverview?list=camping
Have a great time!

STEVEM
06-12-2009, 20:58
You're talking at least 1000 miles of driving. There's no way this trip will be easy. I think you should take a buddy to share the driving and make sure you don't fall asleep at the wheel.

In general I think your idea is crazy, but........ 30 years ago I made lots of trips like that and had a great time. So go for it!!

Manwich
06-16-2009, 09:42
Just wanted to clarify that I won't be doing it alone and my best friend will be sharing the driving with me. Thanks for your input guys. If anybody else has any ideas, let me know.

JAK
06-16-2009, 11:06
I worked in Bedford MA for a few years while still living in Saint John. I was mostly flying other places, but when working at the main office in bedord it was a 7 hour commute tp get home on weekends, so I saw alot of weekend traffic. Some bad, most not so bad.

You can get alot of weekend traffic into Maine from Boston, and then back the other way, especially on long weekends or if there is something extra going on like a concert. I would try and avoid that for sure at the tolls in NH, and southern Maine. Then there is the whole businesses of escaping from New Jersey and New York, but you probably have a good handle on that. That stuff can really slow you down, and its demoralizing also. Try and escape from work a day early, and/or return a day late, or maybe work an extra weekend somehow to make it happen. Avoiding rush hours is the most important think, especially rush hours when its stinking hot.

Also avoid driving when you are both tired, like after climbing Katahdin. You gotta be prepared to pull over and sleep. Lots of good places to do that in Maine though. The I-95 is really awesome in Maine, especially once you get north of Portland.

JAK
06-16-2009, 11:13
Also don't underestimate the driving time once you get off the I-95 to get to Baxter State park, and once you get into Baxter State Park to get to Katahdin. Still a ways to go, and some of it is slow. Not sure what traffic can be like, but that would make it even slower. If you could swing a 3-day mid-week excursion that might be most do-able. Like leave Monday after work, and arrive back to work on Friday. That would give you 4 nights and 3 days, and you should avoid the worst traffic, both urban and wilderness type.