PDA

View Full Version : Rusty's Location

DuctTape
06-12-2009, 19:37
Anybody know exactly where on the BRP is Rusty's driveway? (Mile markers). It may be best to send a private message, thanks!

RedneckRye
06-12-2009, 20:55
Mile 16.7 on the Blur Ridge Parkway.
It says so right on the shirts he sold for years.

Lone Wolf
06-12-2009, 23:05
the location ain't no big secret. just make sure you're welcome the day you choose to go there. he's very wish-washy about it

Rain Man
06-12-2009, 23:10
Appalachian Pages has good directions.

Rain:sunMan

DuctTape
06-12-2009, 23:22
I was there on my hike in '01 which was great and more recently in '06 when it was just him and Pirate which was somewhat peculiar. Today I got an email from a bicycle tourist that wants directions (They probably saw my pictures), and I'm not really sure what comments/precautions to send with the directions...

Nean
06-13-2009, 14:54
I was there on my hike in '01 which was great and more recently in '06 when it was just him and Pirate which was somewhat peculiar. Today I got an email from a bicycle tourist that wants directions (They probably saw my pictures), and I'm not really sure what comments/precautions to send with the directions...
I tell the kids if they really want to go, Keep your wits about you, Keep your guard up, and sleep w/ one eye open.:-?

weary
06-15-2009, 23:01
My advice is to stop at Rusty's. It will be an unusual experience. But nothing will happen that you don't choose to let happen and willingly let happen. It's simply a friendly place. I don't speculate about why people are friendly. There are millions of reasons.

Gaiter
06-15-2009, 23:07
i thought you had to hike there first before you were welcome to drive there... or am i getting it mixed up w/ somewhere else

Nean
06-16-2009, 01:25
My advice is to stop at Rusty's. It will be an unusual experience. But nothing will happen that you don't choose to let happen and willingly let happen. It's simply a friendly place. I don't speculate about why people are friendly. There are millions of reasons.

I hope you checked the rules of the day before you issued your advice.:)
There ARE millions of reasons...... and not all of them good. :eek:

The people who stand up and say what they do, do for a reason, not speculation.:(
Assuming you have the same experience as everyone else is pure speculation though.;)

The Mechanical Man
06-16-2009, 03:32
Mile 16.7 on the Blur Ridge Parkway.
It says so right on the shirts he sold for years.

Shirts he sold? :-?

Is that all to offer?

weary
06-16-2009, 10:19
i thought you had to hike there first before you were welcome to drive there... or am i getting it mixed up w/ somewhere else
When I spent a weekend there in 1993, that was the rule, though he made an exception for hikers who had previously stayed there while on a thru hike. There were around 35 or 40 people there on the holiday weekend I visited. They were of a range of ages, from late teens to my age, then 64. And both genders. One girl, who had thru hiked the previous year, brought her father along for the visit. Her Dad had replaced the engine of Rusty's Truck earlier that year so that the truck would be available during the thru hiker season.

Rusty fired up his wood-fired hot tub. A bunch of the kids played a touch football game between the skins and the "pants." Two sisters in their mid-twenties tried to get photos of the game, but were too embarrassed to get very close to the action.

I saw both a month or so later at Delaware Water Gap. They reminisced about their experiences at Rusty's. One sent me a card the next year saying she had finally finished all of the trail, "every damn foot of it.".

Weary

saimyoji
06-16-2009, 11:46
you guys make it sound like Rusty is some kinda pervert lookin to take advantage of unsuspecting young boys.....

rambunny
09-16-2010, 23:02
I cannot believe that you are turning to dirt someone that has given his all for hikers for how long?And you wonder why we don't want to take care of you.

wvgrinder
09-17-2010, 08:15
I plan on stopping there on my upcoming hike. I haven't been there since '92. I was just hoping for some info at a shelter or something. I just can't remember how to get there. :-? It's been awhile.

weary
09-17-2010, 11:23
Shirts he sold? :-?

Is that all to offer?
I bought a Rusty Tee shirt in 1993. Usually I wear such things until they are worn out. But the last time I wore Rusty's Tee shirt was when I summitted Katahdin a few months later. That and my hiking stick are my only remaining souvenirs of the trail.

In addition to the address it has a Biblical reference, Hebrews 13:2, which urges people to be kind to strangers because some may be angels.

Weary