PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite trail towns and hostels?

ShelterLeopard
06-12-2009, 23:13
I'm doing a thru next year (NoBo), and I was wondering- what are your favorite towns and hiker hostels? My favorite type of towns are those like Palmerton and Monson- small, but well equiped and friendly. I also love Shaw's lodging and the Palmerton Jail Hostel. Any other suggestions? Places that were very convient, close to the trail, friendly? (Places that weren't as well)

Lone Wolf
06-12-2009, 23:17
"The Place" in Damascus is a great hostel to sit back and swill some lagers while tossing a disc to your pooch on the lawn

Ox97GaMe
06-12-2009, 23:33
There were several hostels that I enjoyed when I hiked back in 97. But, everyone likes different things about the places they stay. These are mine, in no particular order.

Neel Gap - Walasi-Yi
Blueberry Patch
Elmers
Kincora
Rusty's
Bear's Den
The Monestary
DWG Church
Bird Cage
The Cabin (may be closed now)
The Barn

Pony
06-12-2009, 23:40
"The Place" in Damascus is a great hostel to sit back and swill some lagers while tossing a disc to your pooch on the lawn

You should probably chain smoke inside the hostel too. And don't worry about your mess, the locals will clean it up. :D

Pony
06-12-2009, 23:42
I really enjoyed Elmers in Hot Springs. Don't miss Kincora.

Bearpaw
06-13-2009, 00:16
Hot Springs, NC - great town.

Hampton/ Elizabethton area, TN - Kincora was a great hostel, as well as Braemar Castle 10 miles up the trail.

Damascus - the Place is decent, especially if you're willing to tent to get some privacy.

Port Clinton, PA - the pavillion is sweet and the Port Clinton Bar ROCKS.

Gorham, NH - I really enjoyed my stay at The Barn.

Monson, ME - Shaw's. 'Nuff said.

BTW, Franklin, NC is rapidly becoming the friendliest town (near) the trail. It's not a hostel, but Ron Haven' Budget Inn is a great spot for a rest, laundry, shuttle to groceries and restaurants, and back to the trail. Ron is a real friend to hikers.

warraghiyagey
06-13-2009, 00:27
Shaw's - Monson. . . :sun:sun:sun

Summit
06-13-2009, 06:20
I haven't done a thru, but Franklin, NC and Ron Haven's establishments deserve mention . . . Budget Inn, Sapphire Inn, Hostel. Also Mountain Harbour B&B's hostel at 19E (Elk Park).

Jeff
06-13-2009, 07:17
I second the vote for Mountain Harbour Hostel. Terry and Mary were very friendly.

I also remember The Cabin. As soon as I arrived Bear comes out with a huge tub of ice cream. He made me eat until I couldn't stand any more. Said I looked too thin.

Really though, so much depends on who else is with you at the hostel. If you are with friends it always makes it more enjoyable.

Serial 07
06-13-2009, 07:52
bird cage, daulton...

El Toro '94
06-13-2009, 15:39
Pine Ellis in Andover Maine was my favorite place to stay off the trail. The Traynors were unbelievably nice. Friendliest people I met on the trail. Stay in the bunkhouse out back (unheated though) with full brefus, shower and full run of the house common areas for about 15 bucks if I remember right. If you get on their good side, you might be able to sweetalk them into a room in the house for $40 or so. Ended up sleeping in recliner watching tv first night and they were cool with it. Wash n dry for $3. Only problem is getting there, although Paul would cruise South arm and East B hill most days, free ride back to trail, longer shuttles for slacking or needing to go into a bigger town for $1/mile. I hope it hasn't changed too much.

Jeff
06-13-2009, 15:49
I believe Paul died in 2007....but Pine Ellis is still listed in the latest guidebooks.

Canada Goose
06-13-2009, 21:16
Towns; Hot Springs...................... Stays: Blueberry Patch
...........Damascus............................... ... Hike Inn
...........Delaware Water Gap.................... Duckett House
...........Manchester Ctr........................... Kincora
...........Hanover................................ .... Church of the Holy Family
...........Gorham................................. .... Zion Episcopal Church
...........Stratton............................... ..... Hiker's Welcome
...........Monson................................. .... The Cabin
.................................................. .........Shaw's

Hope I have'nt left anyone out. Common denominators; peaceful, caring,
welcoming, and friendly. What more could you ask for...

Thanks y'all !!

Honk!:sun

vonfrick
06-14-2009, 08:20
Pine Ellis in Andover Maine was my favorite place to stay off the trail. The Traynors were unbelievably nice. Friendliest people I met on the trail. Stay in the bunkhouse out back (unheated though) with full brefus, shower and full run of the house common areas for about 15 bucks if I remember right. If you get on their good side, you might be able to sweetalk them into a room in the house for $40 or so. Ended up sleeping in recliner watching tv first night and they were cool with it. Wash n dry for $3. Only problem is getting there, although Paul would cruise South arm and East B hill most days, free ride back to trail, longer shuttles for slacking or needing to go into a bigger town for $1/mile. I hope it hasn't changed too much.

I believe Paul died in 2007....but Pine Ellis is still listed in the latest guidebooks.

His wife Eileen was still there last summer. With all the rain they were jam-packed and we stayed at the Andover Guest House- also a great option! :banana

Doc
06-14-2009, 11:28
Don't forget the Outhouse in Unionville, N.Y. aka The Mayor's House. The folks there are second to none.

modiyooch
06-14-2009, 17:36
I really enjoy the town of Monson.

Lybarger
08-09-2009, 16:02
Maine has so many different hostels, each one different.

Andover...The Cabin
Rangeley..Gull Pond Lodge
Monson....Shaws
Millinocket...AT Lodge

All are winners in my book.

dreamsoftrails
08-09-2009, 18:48
I second the vote for Mountain Harbour Hostel. Terry and Mary were very friendly.

very cozy place, great breakfast.

Jeff
08-10-2009, 10:01
Boy, this is an old thread come to life??? !!!!!

Rambler
09-25-2009, 14:27
I believe the Andover House has gone out of business.

pjbarr
10-11-2009, 21:52
certainly bob peoples at kincora.

i wonder what the braemar castle is like? i just can't not stay at kincora when on that section...

Lone Wolf
10-11-2009, 21:53
i wonder what the braemar castle is like? i just can't not stay at kincora when on that section...

better than kincora

Ron Haven
10-11-2009, 23:28
Franklin, NC is rapidly becoming the friendliest town (near) the trail. It's not a hostel, but Ron Haven' Budget Inn is a great spot for a rest, laundry, shuttle to groceries and restaurants, and back to the trail. Ron is a real friend to hikers.[/quote]

BearPaw,
Thanks very much for the kind comments,Our goal is to provide help for the hikers.We also have computers for our guest too.

I haven't done a thru, but Franklin, NC and Ron Haven's establishments deserve mention . . . Budget Inn, Sapphire Inn, Hostel. Also Mountain Harbour B&B's hostel at 19E (Elk Park).Summit,I would like to mention that I just purchased The Franklin Motel (http://thefranklinmotel.com/main.asp) also.

gungho
10-15-2010, 18:26

I also remember The Cabin. As soon as I arrived Bear comes out with a huge tub of ice cream. He made me eat until I couldn't stand any more. Said I looked too thin.

Really though, so much depends on who else is with you at the hostel. If you are with friends it always makes it more enjoyable.

i have too agree......Roots and myself just hiked indian grave to carvers gap....hats off to Terry and Mary(the owners of the mountain Harbour Inn) they are great hosts and mary can cook one fine breakfast.....very reasonable rates

Geo
02-16-2011, 21:21
The AT Lodge Millinocket ME
Shaw's Monson ME big
The Green Mountain House Manchester Center VT
Bear's Den VA
Kincora TN Bob Peoples
NOC NC
Hiker Hostel Dahlonega GA GREAT PLACE worth every cent.

ATAaron
03-31-2011, 07:57
Boy, this is an old thread come to life??? !!!!!

Now it is!!!;):cool:

brian039
03-31-2011, 11:15
Favorite trail towns would be Hot Springs and Dalton but dang they're all good, it was really hard to decide. As far as hostels they're pretty much all good too but I liked Green Mountain House, Terrapin Station, the Mayor's House, and Tom Levardi's particularly.

ShelterLeopard
03-31-2011, 12:06
I loved Terrapin Station - my favorite part was being able to wear JEANS and a COTTON SWEATSHIRT during my several days there.

Lybarger
03-31-2011, 12:35
better than kincora

Bob at Kincora is a wonderful, giving person. The hostel however, was dirty inside and needed a major cleaning. I tried to tidy up but it requires a crew of hikers to bring it back.

10-K
03-31-2011, 13:43
Manchester Center, VT by a landslide.

Most fast food places you can throw a rock at and hit: Lickdale, PA.

LDog
03-31-2011, 13:48
As far as hostels they're pretty much all good too but I liked Green Mountain House, Terrapin Station, the Mayor's House, and Tom Levardi's particularly.

Where is Terrapin Station, and is it run by Dead Heads?

ShelterLeopard
03-31-2011, 14:18
Bob at Kincora is a wonderful, giving person. The hostel however, was dirty inside and needed a major cleaning. I tried to tidy up but it requires a crew of hikers to bring it back.

+1. Bob was really nice, but it was pretty grungy. I didn't mind, because so was I, but I like a clean hostel.

Yepper- its at the end of Shenandoah Nat'l Park. About a half mile side trail gets you right to the hostel, and he has Grateful Dead stuff all over. I loved it!

ShelterLeopard
03-31-2011, 14:19
Sorry, <<it's>> not <<its>>

LDog
03-31-2011, 15:08

Yepper- its at the end of Shenandoah Nat'l Park. About a half mile side trail gets you right to the hostel, and he has Grateful Dead stuff all over. I loved it!

Then I need to break out my highlighter and companion:D

I've been keeping 'em by my side so that I can highlight recommended places, and scribble notes in the margins. Hate to think I'd want to xfer all that to a 2012 version ...

Thanks!

ShelterLeopard
03-31-2011, 17:05
If you don't find it, let me know, and I'll give you specific details on how to find it/ contact him. I'm not sure if it's listed in every guidebook. And I'd hate to miss it!

Pony
03-31-2011, 19:46

For a suggested donation of $4, you could get a broom and mop bucket and start cleaning. Bob is nice enough to let you stay in his home. It's a priveledge not a right, and it's not a hotel. For $4 quit your bitching, and start cleaning. Same goes for many other places along the trail.

Doctari
03-31-2011, 19:52
Towns: Damascus (I plan on retiring there).
Hostel: Kincora is easily my favorite. My 2nd favorite was the Rainbow Springs campground one, but as it's closed,,,, never mind.

johnnybgood
03-31-2011, 20:08
If you don't find it, let me know, and I'll give you specific details on how to find it/ contact him. I'm not sure if it's listed in every guidebook. And I'd hate to miss it!
It went by the name of Front Royal Hostel in 2010 . Mike Evans is the proprietor . Still a Deadhead for sure.
Terrapin Station is it's old name .

ShelterLeopard
03-31-2011, 20:35
Ah! I forgot- Front Royal didn't stick in my memory as well as Terrapin Station.

ShelterLeopard
03-31-2011, 20:37
For a suggested donation of $4, you could get a broom and mop bucket and start cleaning. Bob is nice enough to let you stay in his home. It's a priveledge not a right, and it's not a hotel. For $4 quit your bitching, and start cleaning. Same goes for many other places along the trail.

Wow, calm down. I just said I like a clean hostel. Bob was great and I did appreciate his service and it was a great atmosphere. This is a thread about commenting on the various trail hostels, and my comment about Kincora was that it was a little grungy.

LDog
03-31-2011, 21:03
It went by the name of Front Royal Hostel in 2010 . Mike Evans is the proprietor . Still a Deadhead for sure.
Terrapin Station is it's old name .

I found it in the 2010 ALDHA Companion listed as Front Royal Terrapin Station Hostel with pretty good directions.

Thanks!

Jim Adams
03-31-2011, 23:50

Wow! People get excited over the most bland subjects...next thing you know they will be bitch'in about trail magic.:D

geek

J-Fro
04-01-2011, 00:14

Right on Pony, Bob is a legend! I had to leave more as Bob is a great host at his home. He took us to town to resupply and have dinner and did not ask for a dime. His fund of trail knowledge and excitement is intoxicating. It would be easy to help clean. I would support Bob and Kincora any day as he does as much if not more than anyone to maintain/improve our AT.

Pony
04-01-2011, 20:20
Wow, calm down. I just said I like a clean hostel. Bob was great and I did appreciate his service and it was a great atmosphere. This is a thread about commenting on the various trail hostels, and my comment about Kincora was that it was a little grungy.

If you reread my post you'll see that it wasn't directed at you.;)

Anyway, I do get a little irritated when I hear people whine about accomodations that are nearly free. Especially When it comes to Kincora. I've only stayed there once, but was treated really well, and besides, very few people do as much for the trail as Bob Peoples. For $4 (which of course you should leave more) nobody should expect him to clean up after hikers. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

ShelterLeopard
04-01-2011, 22:05
I do agree with you- I left a nice amount for Bob since I would usually try to stay and help out a bit, but I got in late and had to leave very early, so I couldn't offer any of my time to help out. People should appreciate what they get. (But I will still mention any critical point if I feel that it's important.)

One thing I LOVED was that Bob does an amazing job maintaining and blazing the trail. I hiked in late at night during EXTREMELY thick and disorienting fog and rain, and my partner and I were starting to get really worried. We would have been lost, but then in front of us we suddenly saw Bob's clear white blazes, fresh and new, and plentiful.

Ox97GaMe
04-01-2011, 23:44
Bob is a true example of 'labor of love'. Bob truly cares about the hiking community and the hikers that visit his place. But, his place isnt for everyone. Bob has a 'suggested $4 donation' for the stay. For that, you get a ride into town, a place to take a shower and wash your clothes, and a place to cook a decent meal if you want. During thru hiker season, there is usually a group meal prepared by the hikers, or by trail angels.

I have seen hikers leave $20 bills, I have seen hikers that leave without anything. I have heard hikers complain about the hostel, and I have heard stories about it being one of the best experiences of the trail. I guess that is why they say... HYOH. To each their own. What I have found is that you get back what you bring in. Walk through life with good karma and it usually is returned to you.

kofritz
04-05-2011, 16:40
I stayed at Gelinas Manor in Boiling Springs. the place was very clean and friendly. the breakfast (egg florentine) was fantastic. I enjoyed conversing with both hosts. I would recommend this B&B for any that are interested while passing through Boiling Springs area.

Trailbender
04-06-2011, 10:37
I do agree with you- I left a nice amount for Bob since I would usually try to stay and help out a bit, but I got in late and had to leave very early, so I couldn't offer any of my time to help out. People should appreciate what they get. (But I will still mention any critical point if I feel that it's important.)

One thing I LOVED was that Bob does an amazing job maintaining and blazing the trail. I hiked in late at night during EXTREMELY thick and disorienting fog and rain, and my partner and I were starting to get really worried. We would have been lost, but then in front of us we suddenly saw Bob's clear white blazes, fresh and new, and plentiful.

Yeah, even though it was $4 a night, I opted to do work for stay. Obviously, I worked way above that, but I got to help Bob build trails for a day, and I cleaned up some, brought in firewood, kept it going, ect. Definitely going there again soon.

Rockhound
04-06-2011, 13:04
Let's not forget smoking. whatever you care to.