PDA

View Full Version : Resupply Prices

peepsters
06-13-2009, 10:28
I was just wondering about the stores that are along the AT. Are the stores over-priced like most vaccation spots, or are they average? I know it is hard because everyones local grocery store prices probably vary. I just dont know what to expect because I shop at Wal-Mart for food and I have no clue what I should expect. Thanks in advance.

garlic08
06-13-2009, 12:50
There were only a few places I noticed high grocery bills. The Coop in Dartmouth is pricey, but high quality stuff. Salisbury, CT comes to mind, too. Monson, ME was a little high, not unexpectedly so, but you need to buy pretty much there. Hot Springs, TN wasn't cheap. It wasn't so much that they're vacation spots, just smaller volume and farther off the main distribution routes, I thought. You didn't see stuff on sale. Restaurant prices varied widely, too--cheap in the South, expensive up North, in general.

I didn't do any mail drops for food, and at about $750, grocery bills accounted for just over 20% of my overall budget. I spent a lot on town meals, about the same as for groceries. My typical supply stop cost about $25. I got used to spending $4 for fig newtons, $4 for a box of crackers, etc.

peepsters
06-14-2009, 11:32
Does the $750.00 include your town meals?

emerald
06-14-2009, 12:15
AT Strip Map (http://www.nps.gov/appa/planyourvisit/upload/APPA%20Map.pdf)
Food, Water and Sanitation (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805483/k.72A1/Food_Water_and_Sanitation.htm)
Resupply and Mail Drops (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805573/k.6382/Resupply_and_Mail_Drops.htm)
Ideas for an Inexpensive Thru-Hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=847653&postcount=30)

Current information about services can be downloaded at my link below.

garlic08
06-14-2009, 14:13
Does the $750.00 include your town meals?

Sorry, no, that wasn't very clear. $750 did not include my town meals. I meant to say I spent almost that much again on town meals, about $700! In a way, though, some of that was trail food, too. If I could eat a huge breakfast in town, then I wouldn't feel the need to eat again for a dozen miles or so, when usually I stop every 5 or 6 miles to eat without a town meal in me.

All food costs totaled nearly half my trip expenses! But it was worth every penny.

peepsters
06-17-2009, 19:40
Thanks Garlic, I know it is different for everyone but seeing some definite numbers helps out a lot. I suppose it is just like living at home, you can save a lot of money by just buying food at the market and going home and making it, or you could sit in a comfy chair and enjoy a hot meal at a restaurant for more money. Thanks again and I hope you enjoy many more years of hiking.

Jack Tarlin
06-17-2009, 21:05
Food costs vary, and there are several factors at work: As a general rule, food costs less the further south you are; New England towns, especially the hoity-toity or collegiate ones, are the most expensive; the biggest factor in re. to prices is whether or not you're shopping at a real supermarket or at a small town market or gas station/general store/convenience store, in which case you should be prepared to have a more limited selection and much higher prices.

A few quick tips that might save you money: Never ever go food shopping when you're hungry. It leads to impulse buying and purchasing more than you really need. Also, take a few minutes and go thru your food bag BEFORE you enter the market; it helps to make an actual shopping list of what you really need, i.e., you want to go into a market with the intent of buying, for example, three days worth of food, with maybe a few snacks if you arrive at the next town on the fourth day. In other words, have a good idea of what you really need for the next stretch of hiking; then buy only that and maybe just a bit extra. By making a list ahead of time, you'll accomplish several things: You won't forget to buy anything important; you'll buy only what you really need and will make fewer un-needed or impulse purchases; you'll also get out of the market much sooner (cross things off your list as you shop!); the sooner you're OUT of the supermarket, the less you'll spend.

For more info on Re-Supply, including how to know how each long a section of the Trail is likely to take you, you might want to check out the "Articles" section of this website.

TD55
06-17-2009, 21:21
I have always considered resupply as an important AT skill. To be good at it you have to have a knowledge of nutrition needs, weight and bulk/packability, preparatin factors, cost and what will satisfy your own individual taste. It's a whole lot easier if you have a big grocery store to choose from, but some times you only have the gas station/convenience store. At least this is a skill you can learn before you hit the trail. Go plan, buy and eat for three days on packaged foods out of the gas station/convenience store. You will be surprized at the kind of stuff you can put together. Like for example you can grab a bag of the bargin chips that have like 1000 calories in them, smash them into crumbs and powder so they don't take up any space and spoon sprkinke them into your peanut butter, oatmeal, whatever.

Ox97GaMe
06-18-2009, 11:05
Food prices will vary depending on which towns you are using as resupply points. Grocery stores arent carry 'hiker specific' items with jacked up prices. They carry normal food used by the locals as well, so there isnt really a mark up on items. However, small towns dont have the supply/demand that large metropolitan areas have, so you will see a slight markup on items across the entire store.

If you go into resupply points that do not have grocery stores (Neels Gap, NOC, Fontana) or purchase your resupply items at a hostel, then you are likely to see a mark up on the items. This is because they are catering only to the hiker community usually, and there is additional risk of having overstock at the end of the season that gets thrown away. It is sort of like having a stocking fee tacked on to the grocery bill. What I have seen is even in these cases, the cost of items is not overly excessive. For example: you might see a 25 cent markup on a can of peanut butter. But, they are saving you the effort of hitching into the nearest town to buy the items yourself, so to me, it was worth the additional fee.

Another thing that needs to be considered is that each state has a different sales tax rate. Some states it is around 5-6%, other states as much as 11-12%. This will make a noticable difference when you get to the register.

When I hiked (ages ago <lol>), I did all my resupplies on the trail, no mail drops. I was averaging between $25 and $50 per resupply. This was dependent on number of days between stops and whether I could fatten up on an AYCE or buffet in town.

Now, when I plan my hiking trips, I plan it it costing me between $5-7 per day while on trail for food. I also throw in and additional $20-25 per week to get a good meal (or two) when I am in a resupply town.