PDA

View Full Version : How to justify the decision to thru-hike to employers afterwards

MaxM
06-13-2009, 15:25
This August I'm going to be graduating with my Master's, and as of now my plan is to do a NOBO thru-hike starting sometime around April 2010. I have already justified this decision to myself - I'll be able to get a job later, but if I take a job now, I might not necessarily have the opportunity to do the hike later - but what I'm worried about is how to justify this decision in job interviews after my hike. I'm not too worried about being able to find a job (my degrees are in computer science and AI, which seem like fields that are still doing OK), I'm just worried that my decision to do the hike will look like "taking a year off," and make me look slacker-ish. Any advice on how to 'spin' this more positively? Should I proactively bring it up in my resume/cover letters in order to better control how people perceive it? I'd especially appreciate replies from anyone who's been in the same situation with a post-graduation hike.

goduke
06-13-2009, 15:33
This August I'm going to be graduating with my Master's, and as of now my plan is to do a NOBO thru-hike starting sometime around April 2010. I have already justified this decision to myself - I'll be able to get a job later, but if I take a job now, I might not necessarily have the opportunity to do the hike later - but what I'm worried about is how to justify this decision in job interviews after my hike. I'm not too worried about being able to find a job (my degrees are in computer science and AI, which seem like fields that are still doing OK), I'm just worried that my decision to do the hike will look like "taking a year off," and make me look slacker-ish. Any advice on how to 'spin' this more positively? Should I proactively bring it up in my resume/cover letters in order to better control how people perceive it? I'd especially appreciate replies from anyone who's been in the same situation with a post-graduation hike.

Go hiking. The HR manager will be glad that you got the hike out of your system. I worked in the Computer Engineering dept for 37 years. i wish I had hiked the trail BEFORE I started work.

Good luck

Duke

Blue Jay
06-13-2009, 15:36
You are a free American. You do not have to justify yourself to anyone, much less to human trafficers.

Big Dawg
06-13-2009, 15:38
I'm just worried that my decision to do the hike will look like "taking a year off," and make me look slacker-ish.

I wouldn't think hiking 2000+ miles, and the logistics that go w/ it, will make you look like you're being slackish.

I'm not a thru hiker, so can't answer from that perspective, but from info I've read in past forums & thru hikers I've talked to, your completed thru hike will be more of an asset than a liability considering the potential it shows in your ability to conquer a large task.

Best of luck! :)

The Other Tom
06-13-2009, 15:51
I wouldn't think hiking 2000+ miles, and the logistics that go w/ it, will make you look like you're being slackish.

I'm not a thru hiker, so can't answer from that perspective, but from info I've read in past forums & thru hikers I've talked to, your completed thru hike will be more of an asset than a liability considering the potential it shows in your ability to conquer a large task.

Best of luck! :)
what Big Dawg said. It shows you're a good manager, and not a quiter. Use it to your advantage.

Petr
06-13-2009, 15:57
Given your situation, you shouldn't be worried about it at all.

1. You've already shown through academics that you can be responsible and work hard toward a "productive" goal.
2. The best thing to be in an interview is interesting...and most people in management will have no idea about the AT and find it fascinating that you spent 5 months in the woods.
3. While "hiker trash" and some of the hygiene/drug/alcohol/laziness issues that SOME associate with the term is celebrated around here, I think the general public views hiking as a healthy physical and mental/spiritual thing that they respect and, furthermore, wish they could do.

I'm starting my last year of medical school in two weeks and have 10-30 residency interviews to suffer through in the next 6 months. I fully plan on telling the interviewers that I worked my @ss off to compress the last two years of my schooling into 18 months so that I can thru-hike before my residency starts July 1.

My justification: I had a goal and I worked hard until I accomplished it. Bosses tend to appreciate that personality-type. I did it in med school, I did it on the AT (at least I hope I do), and I'll do it in my career.

Hikes in Rain
06-13-2009, 16:20
I've hired a lot of people, and having a through hike or any similar acomplishment on record would be a plus to me. It shows determination, goal-oriented outlook, and management skills. It also indicates an unwillingness to "conform" which would make you fit right in with my staff!

Dr O
06-13-2009, 16:30
I wouldn't work for anyone who made me feel like I have to justify anything I do while not on the clock.

Dogwood
06-13-2009, 18:10
MaxM, after you complete your thru-hike you will better comprehend how your success has made you better, and a better employee, in so many ways. The newfound confidence, character, and knowledge you gained on a succesful thru-hike will shine through in an interview. It's what a wise employer will look for in an employee. No reason to spin it. That will be the way it is!

Stop feeling like you have to justify your life to anyone. It's your life, your goals, and your character! Let them speak for themselves. They are who you are!

Lemni Skate
06-13-2009, 18:24
I think almost anyone would look at the hike as a plus, even if a thru-hike isn't the thing for them. I'd play it up as an accomplishment in my resume.

Many Walks
06-13-2009, 18:34
Agreed, you don't have to justify anything, but in an interview you can tell them you seized the opportunity to hone specific real life skills in a severely challenging environment that you and a future employer would certainly benefit from. Those skills include: time management, resource utilization, logistics management, financial management, self starting, schedule management, geographic comprehension, communication with many cultures, etc. Throw in a few adjectives like persistence and tenacity as you briefly explain what the AT is about and how difficult it is.

Most people would appreciate you passing a test like this between school and their employment. Sort of like Corporate Boot Camp, but you will have already gone through it giving you a leg up on the other recent grads in their employment. You might start at a higher pay grade do to the experience.

Be positive, quit apologizing and start doing!

Hike your hike while you can. You'll never regret it.

Wish you the best.

johnnybgood
06-13-2009, 18:43
Slackish to me and anyone with any intelligence is defined as "not busy" or sluggish in nature .
Therefore walking 2,178 miles is quite the opposite and should be seen as a positive by any employer .

After all you could have bummed around doing nothing for a year , except getting fat and lazy.

MaxM
06-13-2009, 19:03
Thanks for the replies - and to clarify, I don't feel that I have to justify this decision (i.e. this isn't about my attitudes towards the hike), I just anticipate being asked to in interviews (it's about potential employers' attitudes towards the hike). So don't worry - I definitely know that the hike is going to be great, and make me a better candidate if anything, I just want to make sure that I can express this fact to someone interviewing me. And it would be nice if interviewers all had attitudes towards a thru-hike that are this friendly, but sadly I anticipate that this is not necessarily the case (and in this job market, I won't exactly be able to afford turning down an offer on principle just because I don't think anyone should view it as a negative).

stranger
06-14-2009, 02:15
Oh man, why do you think someone is doing you a favor by giving you a job?

Go on your hike, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow, you can always get a job, even in America, even in a recession. The economy is only going to improve from here, and it will take a while to do so, it will take years.

You won't always be able to hike, a competent employer will understand this, and like earlier posts said no one is going to think you are a slacker by walking thousands of miles over mountains.

Pokey2006
06-14-2009, 02:24
I quit a career-oriented job to do my AT hike. After, I went on a job interview in the same field, at the same company, actually, with higher-ups who knew me, and knew what I had been up to. One of them actually asked me why I had "given up my career." Huh? I didn't realize that six months off to pursue a dream meant throwing away all the work I had done prior to that.

Unfortunately, there are many managers out there who share that man's attitude. Trust me: you want to avoid them. I ended up having problems with that guy later (because yes, I did get that job). Look for managers who are excited by what you have accomplished, by your sense of adventure and your spirit of independence. Work it!

Also, as time goes on, you'll find it's easy to fudge that six months off when you do your resume.

trailangelmary
06-14-2009, 02:49
I take it you are wanting to hike before you start your career. So, just do it. It will all work out. If you don't hike now you may regret that you made another choice. Hiking the AT is an experience you will never match. I know this not from experience but from listening to hikers over many years. Don't give up that dream...don't delay...accomplish that goal. You will not regret it.

Maddog
06-14-2009, 03:47
you dont have to justify $h*t!!! ******'em!!!

double d
06-14-2009, 07:50
First off, congrats on your masters degree and especially at your age, that is a high accomplishment. I would have loved to have hiked the AT after I earned my masters degree, so your desire to hike the AT now is a great idea. Now...as for your question, during an interview, I would incorporate your hike in a way that highlights who you are as a person, such as, you had a personal goal to hike the AT from start to finish and you accomplished that goal in about 5-6 months. What more can a hiring committee be impressed by? Nothing more needs to be said, as I'm sure each member of the committee has wished they have done something like your about to do in their life and not done it.

boarstone
06-14-2009, 08:51
....And you'll be seeing the states up close and personal...who knows..maybe you'll see one you'll like and pursue your career in it...near the AT of course!

Two Tents
06-14-2009, 10:00
Man! Good for you! A masters and now a Thru hike. Go for it! You have earned it! It's not what they will say that matters. You are the man in the mirror. What are you gonna say to yourself if ya don't do it?

Deadeye
06-14-2009, 18:35
I had a similar problem when making some college choices. When I posed the question to my college counselor, her reply was something like "Do you really think you'd want to work for anyone that had a problem with what you've done?"

I think you've already really answered that, but just in case, "Would you really want to work for anyone that had a problem with your hiking the AT?"

Lone Wolf
06-14-2009, 19:40

it's YOUR life. you're just 23. future/possible employers should not dictate your life. go hikin'. life's short. old cliche' but i know what it means

harryfred
06-14-2009, 20:11
I'm just a truck mechanic. No degree. I have learned a few things over the years and one of those is employers need you more than you need them. You want to list a thru hike as a accomplishment on your resume and leave it at that. the person you want to work for is one that recognises its value. Not only will you have your thru hike but you will have a much more satisfying job/career.

Johnny Swank
06-14-2009, 21:12
Just piling on here. There's plenty of ways of "selling" a thru-hike to potential employers. It's on my CV and resume, and I've almost always been asked about it during an interview in a positive manner. You've got a master's so clearly you can set out on a goal and achieve it. A thru-hike is just another feather in your cap as proof of that.

Bearpaw
06-14-2009, 21:27
Take it from experience on this one. If a potential employer needs you to justify a thru-hike at this logical point in your life, you don't want to work for them.

When I've gotten positive interest about my hike from an interview, I've known it was a good sign that I would be happier there.

MaxM
06-14-2009, 22:04
Thanks for all the replies. I've decided that with all the planning and preparation I've got to do to make my hike the best experience I can, I don't have time to worry about this. There'll be plenty of time afterwards, right?

Lemni Skate
06-14-2009, 22:41
Americans do tend to think employers are doing us a big favor by hiring us. Not true. They hire us because they can make more money with us on the payroll than without us on the payroll (Unless you work for the government like I do--then they just hire you because they're mandated to).

Philip
06-15-2009, 01:10
Thanks for posting. I will be finishing back-to-back masters degrees (MBA, MSF) in May next year and plan to SOBO 2010. Most of my colleagues will be going on to start their careers, and I worry a little that I'll be falling behind the curve by spending the rest of the year goofing off rather than jumping into the next step.

However, hiking the AT and maybe even the PCT the following year is just something I feel like I need to get out of my system before I spend the next 30 years working 80 hours a week. I am glad that the concensus here confirms my thoughts that most employers would view completing a thru-hike in a positive light.

I say go for it and don't look back. In my case, I've already dropped a couple of grand into clothing and equipment and have been spending my weekends hiking the Lonestar Trail whenever I get a chance. I feel pretty committed as a result, since money and time do not grow on trees. Best of luck in your adventures. See you on the trail.

Pokey2006
06-15-2009, 02:15
Oh, honey, please don't ever work 80 hours a week! If you do, you'll wake up one day and regret it, realizing you got nothing out of it, I promise.

Enjoy your hike! If you're lucky, you'll learn a little bit about what's really important before you embark on the rest of your life...

fiddlehead
06-15-2009, 07:40
There's a good chance that while on your thru-hike, you will change your mind about your career.
You may love the freedom and open-mindeness it brings on people.
You may decide to go and start your own business.
It very well may not be your last thru-hike.

Trying to plan your life at such an early age may be interesting, but it is not necessarily gonna be your life.

Enjoy your hike.

FlyPaper
06-15-2009, 08:56
I would think the important thing would be to somehow make the thru-hike known in a resume and/or cover-letter. If they see "graduated May 2010" and they are getting a resume in October of 2010 with no work history, that may be a red flag.

But, you don't want to look defensive either. If you have a whole section of your resume entitled "explanation for long gap in time", that looks defensive. Perhaps a brief mention in a "hobbies and other interests" would do the trick.

Rockhound
06-15-2009, 09:10
When all is said and done, you will regret the things you didn't do, not the things you did. Besides WORK is a four letter word and it is highly overrated. Have a great hike.

MintakaCat
06-15-2009, 09:14
I would think that because the economy is down right now you have the perfect excuse.

Tell them that because very few companies were hiring you decided to turn your attention toward another goal you had. By hiking the trail it allowed you to not only push yourself physically but to also manage your finances in such a way as to pull this off.

In short, think of ways to explain how your management skills you used on the trail to achieve this success, also transfer over to you being an excellent employee.

Spogatz
06-16-2009, 09:28
This can be a big plus. It would show that you can finish something when you set your mind to do it.

I don't see this as being anything but a plus.

JAK
06-16-2009, 09:40
This August I'm going to be graduating with my Master's, and as of now my plan is to do a NOBO thru-hike starting sometime around April 2010. I have already justified this decision to myself - I'll be able to get a job later, but if I take a job now, I might not necessarily have the opportunity to do the hike later - but what I'm worried about is how to justify this decision in job interviews after my hike. I'm not too worried about being able to find a job (my degrees are in computer science and AI, which seem like fields that are still doing OK), I'm just worried that my decision to do the hike will look like "taking a year off," and make me look slacker-ish. Any advice on how to 'spin' this more positively? Should I proactively bring it up in my resume/cover letters in order to better control how people perceive it? I'd especially appreciate replies from anyone who's been in the same situation with a post-graduation hike.I wouldn't pro-actively bring it up in a job interview or list it on a resume. I would keep the resume and job interview focused on the work you are applying for. If it was brought up I wouldn't be defensive about it. If asked why, tell them why. If the interviewer questioned your fitness for work, I would mention the long term health benefits of such an endeavour, assuming you undertook it in a healthy fashion. Some don't. If the interviewer asked if you would be likely to do it again, tell them honestly. Just be honest, and confident.

As you know, many employers don't value Masters Degrees either. That didn't stop you, and it shouldn't stop you from going on a long hike either. Both make you a better person, and in my opinion a more capable person. Many employers don't want you to be a better more capable person. The best way to avoid such employers is to be honest and confident.

Have a good life and help us build a better world.
Congrats on masters degree and your hike, whenever you finish them.

The Solemates
06-16-2009, 09:43

i was in the same boat. i never told anyone I went hiking. it was none of their business. i got the job just the same.

Gaiter
06-16-2009, 10:04
they will find it cool or weird, its all in how its presented to them..... me i don't mention it, if they happen to go to my website w/ my resume then they'll see a link labeled "photography on the appalachian trail: Long distance hiking on the Appalachian Trail: A testament of my hard working nature."

most ignore it, but i've had several that really think its cool

JAK
06-16-2009, 10:17
That's a good point by Gaiter. Many people look online now, from what I've heard. That might be a very effective way to handle it, not to mention it directly on your resume, except perhaps that you enjoy hiking as a recreational past-time, but to have a link to photography and perhaps a trail journal from your website, assuming you have a website. Having your own website might be a good way to present yourself. With a masters degree you could make it a more academic type website. Presumably your university will allow you to create one if you haven't already, and they usually allow you to maintain it even after you graduate. Good way to maintain that 'academic' link, which might look good to some folks, myself included. Everyone has their weaknesses eh. lol

Cheers.

briarpatch
06-16-2009, 10:28
I would think the important thing would be to somehow make the thru-hike known in a resume and/or cover-letter. If they see "graduated May 2010" and they are getting a resume in October of 2010 with no work history, that may be a red flag.

But, you don't want to look defensive either. If you have a whole section of your resume entitled "explanation for long gap in time", that looks defensive. Perhaps a brief mention in a "hobbies and other interests" would do the trick.

Why not list it under the "work history " section with start and ending dates, just like any other job. The description could incorporate "planned and executed 2000+ mile hike on the Appalachian Trail, including logistics, budgeting, transportation . . . ., resulting in increased abilities in self-reliance and motivation".

This way, there is no gap in the calendar.

MaxM
06-16-2009, 16:46
Yeah, I was thinking of putting it in a "Projects" section I had. I may do that depending on the specific job I'm applying for and what kind of work I manage to get between graduation and the hike.

skinewmexico
06-16-2009, 17:18
I wouldn't hire you, just so you could quit in 6 months. But I'd probably hire you over other people after you finished. Delaying a career never hurts, as least compared to interrupting one. Go do parts of the PCT, or GET, until you hit the AT.

Brock
06-24-2009, 15:56
Hiking the AT can only be a good thing in your situation. This is coming from an IT guy who quit to hike the AT and has been on both ends of the job hire.

Think about it this way... You're 23 and just finished a Masters program. You DESERVE some time off. Any sane employer will see this.

They probably will ask you why you took time off and what you did (especially since you should list this activity on your resume... do not hide this experience). You know what... you have the BEST explanation ever. You explored 2000 miles of this great country on foot. You didn't backpack around Europe getting wasted, but instead put yourself through a tough physical experiment. It is to be congratulated, not questioned.

Besides, after you get done explaining your AT story to the interviewers, 2 hours will have passed and they will still be asking you questions. Truth is, they will remember you more for your AT experience than the next guy with some boring story.

EVERYONE in my IT work environment was extremely impressed and interested in my AT experience, from our VP to our co-ops. It has actually opened doors at work for me and this is in IT.

cocoa
06-24-2009, 16:25
Ha! Getting a job after you hike will be the least of your worries. I was a little worried because after we finished our thru-hike in '07 we were running out of money and had no place to live. Or really any possessions, since we sold them all before we left. But we got jobs and have stuff again.

To be honest, most employers haven't even asked me about the gap (and it was a solid 18 months without work, because we did some other traveling first).

So really what you should be worrying about is "getting it out of your system"...I did not find that hiking the AT had that effect on me. Quite the opposite really. I spend a lot of time thinking about getting rid of my stuff and my job and doing another hike.

Ladytrekker
06-24-2009, 16:31
A Master's Degree so your spin is you have been in school for 99% of your life and wanted some down time and reflection after many years of intense schooling and this is something you wanted to do for yourself before entering the work force. Then you tell your employer that hiking the trail took more self discipline than all of your years in school, but the self gratfication that it has given you to know you can do something as hard as this gave you the confidence that you can do anything and now you are ready. (I gave it my best shot). ha ha.

middle to middle
06-24-2009, 19:34
You got a lot of good thoughts here. Don't need a white paper. Make a decision. And get on with it.

kayak karl
06-24-2009, 19:52
the thread starter is 23. younger then my son:), hard to remember back to what it was like then.
the trail will be a positive on your resume, but if hiking the trail will stress you out with worries, don't do it. at my age, i just don't care what others think. not saying that's good or bad.:confused:

RockDoc
06-29-2009, 00:36
Hiking the AT will only help your career, but more importantly, help you as a person.

People instinctively know when somebody is switched on and passionate. I think the AT will help you be that sort of person, and people will want to employ you and generally be around you. You will stand out mainly because these qualities are rather rare anymore, the norm is so jaded and sedentary, both physically and mentally.

Bronk
06-29-2009, 02:00
If you don't put it on your job application/resume, its possible that they will think you are trying to hide something...employers view gaps in your employment record as suspicious...many assume that you actually did have a job but were fired from it or quit.

I've always put it on the app somewhere...and I've always used a chronological resume format and list the hike in between the job before the hike and the job after. I did a 4 month 850 mile hike in 2002, and that's exactly what I put on the resume or job app.

I've never had a negative reaction...the typical response is somewhere betweeen "WOW!!!" and "Cool!" You'll often spend half the interview talking about it...it fascinates people...and amid many other applicants you will stick out.

So I wouldn't worry about any kind of negative impact...I think the positives outweigh them by a longshot.

Montana AT05
06-30-2009, 12:59
A few points:

On the AT, I met the owner of a 4 billion dollar business. Yes...4 billion. He started it himself and it just grew. He is an avid light weight backpacker and has been in the news quite a bit. I talked to him about this issue you raised in this thread. I was 35 yrs old on my AT thru and I was concerned about re-employment. He gave me sound advice (paraphrased from memory):

'You don't want to work for someone who looks down on a thru-hike. You will find a few thing may happen in an interview--the interviewer might criticize your decision your hike, or the interviewer will talk more about the hike more than the job! Work for the latter, avoid the former'

Hiring someone is an investment. While they want to know you will "stick" that doesn't mean you are imprisoned. Companies lay people off all the time--so don't give loyalty blindly
Consider creating your own job--making your own company. Don't just automatically fall into the "employee-mindset"
Thru hiking shows initiative, decision making, dedication, perseverance. It shows a willingness to fail in a large effort--for the slight chance of success.

Some jobs are cogs-a-wheel. They have a purpose.

Other jobs require those things that make a thru-hiker. They too have a purpose.

Make sure you ask yourself which job you want. Ask yourself who you want to work for (maybe it's yourself). Don't imagine that you must get a job created by someone else...propose a new position in a company you like.

I guess what I am saying is: Avoid falling into the trap of caring too much what others think. It's your life. It's short and it's valuable. Don't waste it.

Many people, in their final moments, wonder where it all went (life) and are speechless at how fast it all went.

Tony Tiger
07-04-2009, 17:57
When I returned from my 2007 thru-hike and started looking for a job, I put the experience on my resume. I was hired for a consulting engagement by the first firm I interviewed with.

They did not even mention the thru-hike during the interview process, nor did they ever ask me about it after I began work.

The truth is, they didn't and don't care.

Pilgrim '11
07-10-2009, 11:47
I'm with the folks that are saying an AT hike is something to be proud of.
I notice you're worried about how you'll appear, that you're thinking you'll have to make excuses.
Consider an AT trip a serious project management exercise. You've got to lay out a schedule for six months, organize a support network, allow for contingencies. Personally, I think it's something you could be proud to put on your resume and actually make a point of talking about rather than "justifying".
After 30 years, I am finally making good on my dream to thru-hike the AT. I am part of NASA's contractor support team and you can bet my managers want to see a plan for how one of their Leads is going to get things handled so a six-month Leave of Absence doesn't create a problem. If an AT trek gets that kind of visibility for someone employed, you can be sure it's worthwhile to think about and talk about.

Good luck, and well done on your Master's!

Shutterbug
07-10-2009, 19:50
I'm just worried that my decision to do the hike will look like "taking a year off," ..

You need to remember that most of the people making the decision to offer you a job are old enough that they wish they had taken a year off before they started to work. They will think your decision was a wise one.

jwalden
07-11-2009, 02:27
"Man, I was afraid you were going to ask about that. You see, I slacked off those five months after graduation walking 2175 miles from Maine to Georgia with a thirty-plus-pound backpack on my back, and I was afraid you might think I wouldn't be willing to tackle difficult tasks or have the perseverance to stick at them until completed. However, on the plus side, have no fear I'll ever touch the Snickers bars in the snacks stash in the office."

jbrecon2
08-19-2009, 18:47
so has anyone else struggled with the giving it all up dilema? i hiked the virginia section in 05, and have been dreaming of thru hiking for many years but fear all that is associated with the logistics of it. getting rid of my apartment, probally having to sell my car (payment 552 a month), wondering where ill come back to, wondering if i'll still have a girlfriend...ect ect. in a way it is kind of the beauty of it, but it is scary nonetheless. the good news is that i am a nurse, so i'll find work somewhere....its just hard not knowing what im coming back to, or even where i will go when i am done

Erin
08-20-2009, 00:15
Go hiking. I have interviewed job candidates and taking off after school for a hike, Peace Corps, etc is a plus on a resume. It also shows initiative, independence, lack of greed and life experience. Especially desirable in a public service career since we see so many young people that blew straight through school and are very smart but have no skills with dealing with people on an everday basis.

chicote
08-20-2009, 14:36
It's a big plus. Like all mentioned before with logistics and the success rate of finishing a thru-hike. I mean look at the percentages, I think only 20% complete a thru? It was a huge part of my interview process when I was looking – I ended up with a company that now boasts my thru-hike on the bio page of our website. My life is better because of it – yours will be too!