PDA

View Full Version : Packing the Dog Back Pack

Aubbies
06-13-2009, 15:30
How does everyone pack their dogs packs? I am having an issue on shorter hikes because there is alot of extra space in his pack. So the items in there seem to shift around alot and could throw him off balance. Does anyone have advice?

Blue Jay
06-13-2009, 15:40
If you could not speak would you like to have a pack placed on you. You could not adjust it in any way for comfort. You could not indicate how far you would like to go or if the pack made a difference. Please have some compassion for this creature.

ShelterLeopard
06-13-2009, 16:32
Are you just putting his gear in there? (Well, by gear I suppose I mean food- and to Blue Jay, it is not too much to have a dog carry his own food and water) Just stuff the rest of the pack with newspaper. That should do it. Or maybe inflated ziplock bags.

Wise Old Owl
06-13-2009, 16:36
Hey I like this question a lot, It's come up before but I haven't seen any list other than food, dog toy, sometimes a mini ground sheet and a camp towel. I made and tested a rain coat for Rugby from an old yellow disposable one.

cowboy nichols
06-13-2009, 16:44
My dogs have always carried their own suplies remember to take food out equealy from each side,as the pack lightens I fill in with light stuff and paper trash we pick up I carry the water for us as I find water shifts more my dogs have always loved our trips and are happiest when Working, many dog were bred to work not to be pampered spoiled brats. I'm sure their are many who will scream abuse but I love my dogs and they are happy loyal best friends.

SteveJ
06-13-2009, 16:44
If you could not speak would you like to have a pack placed on you. You could not adjust it in any way for comfort. You could not indicate how far you would like to go or if the pack made a difference. Please have some compassion for this creature.

you know....I think I'll just let a picture address this:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=34091&c=531

:rolleyes:

To go to Aubbies' original question, I think the answer will depend based on the type of pack you have for your dog. Some have cinch straps, which enable you to cinch down a small load. As long as Phoebe's pack is strapped on correctly, it hangs well no matter what size the load, as long as the weight is evenly distributed between the sides.

Hey I like this question a lot, It's come up before but I haven't seen any list other than food, dog toy, sometimes a mini ground sheet and a camp towel. I made and tested a rain coat for Rugby from an old yellow disposable one.

The only time I've every seen Phoebe look at me with a "what the heck are you thinking" expression was on one of her first hikes, when I knew we'd be hiking in the rain much of the weekend. I got her a cheap rain coat at the dog supply store. She hated it! After the first hour, I had pity and took it off. I usually take a small camp towel to dry her off if I expect a lot of rain. Frankly, she doesn't need it - if she's soaked, she'll shake, water will shed, and she's ready to go....

Nean
06-13-2009, 16:48
My dog whines when I overload him,:-? but then I just kick him :eek: (you know where:banana) 'till he stops.;) Hey, thats how daddy raised me!:confused:

:D:rolleyes:

shelterbuilder
06-13-2009, 16:51
I LOVE Phoebe's pic...that says it all.

My first idea would have been the crushed newspaper as a filler to take up extra space, but I think that I like the Zip-Loc bags even better, as they can't get soggy when wet, and when empty, they fold down almost flat.

Aubbies
06-13-2009, 19:40

Blue Jay, this was unnecessary. You have no clue what type of dog I have and how much weight I am having him carry. I have never seen my dog more excited for anything until I got him this back pack.

I appreciate the baggie idea! I think I will give that a try.

shelterbuilder
06-14-2009, 17:42
Blue Jay, this was unnecessary. You have no clue what type of dog I have and how much weight I am having him carry. I have never seen my dog more excited for anything until I got him this back pack.

I appreciate the baggie idea! I think I will give that a try.

If Blue Jay thinks that you're a meanie for having your dog carry a pack, then he'd think that I'm a MONSTER for having my Siberian Huskies pull a dogsled!!!:eek::D

If you REALLY want to see excited dogs, come to my house when I start to get the harnesses and lines laid out before a run!("Can I go? Can I go? PLEASE, PLEASE, can I go? DON'T FORGET ME!!):D:D

Wise Old Owl
06-14-2009, 17:56
If Blue Jay thinks that you're a meanie for having your dog carry a pack, then he'd think that I'm a MONSTER for having my Siberian Huskies pull a dogsled!!!:eek::D

If you REALLY want to see excited dogs, come to my house when I start to get the harnesses and lines laid out before a run!("Can I go? Can I go? PLEASE, PLEASE, can I go? DON'T FORGET ME!!):D:D

I had no idea! when do you take them to Lehigh Trail? I have enjoyed talking to the runners and trainers. Great place as there is a 4 percent incline and its awesome.:)

shelterbuilder
06-14-2009, 20:23
I had no idea! when do you take them to Lehigh Trail? I have enjoyed talking to the runners and trainers. Great place as there is a 4 percent incline and its awesome.:)

Nah, we usually go to local pieces of public land (county/city recreation areas, Game Lands, other closed dirt roads/multiple-use trails). The local contingent of the Pa. Sled Dog Club likes to train around Lake Ontelaunee near Reading, and State Game Lands 211 at Gold Mine Road. The Gold Mine Road site is a relatively flat "out-and-back" (this is the old RR grade near Rausch Gap), and the Lake Ontelaunee site has loops, hills, and was the site of a club-sanctioned race in the 80's and early 90's. PM for more info, so we don't hijack this thread!:o

George
06-14-2009, 20:27
I think the dog should pack it's own pack

NorthCountryWoods
06-16-2009, 05:56
I use 2 water bottles to balance out the pack. While hiking if one side is leaning pour water from the low side into the high side.