PDA

View Full Version : Gigapower windscreen

gravityman
07-01-2004, 12:07
So, I've been messing around with making a windscreen for the gigapower. I used backpackinglight's basic design, but it didn't work so well... I found that the flame was going out. I think that I might not have had enough room around the pot. Anyone else with this experience?

So, I remade it so that there was more room around the pot. But now i think that I left too much room, and there is still wind getting between the pot and the stove. Man, I thought this would be simple, but seems to be more complicated...

I am the only one having this problem?

Gravity Man

Streamweaver
07-01-2004, 14:02
There should be about 1/4" space between the pot and the windscreen all the way around.Not enough space and gasses can build up and choke out the flame. Too much and more wind will get in than is good for it. Putting some small holes around the bottom edge of the screen can help too .Streamweaver

johnny quest
07-01-2004, 16:23
i havent actually tried this myself yet, whether due to laziness or lack of pot pies in the house, but what about this idea,.....a pot pie tin pan or similar used for a screen?

gravityman
07-01-2004, 17:15
i havent actually tried this myself yet, whether due to laziness or lack of pot pies in the house, but what about this idea,.....a pot pie tin pan or similar used for a screen?

That's where I started, although it wasn't a pot pie... It was one of those cheap aluminum baking pans. The cut holes for the burner and legs. It slips over them pretty nicely.

I'll keep experiementing...

Gravity Man

Pencil Pusher
07-01-2004, 19:07
The real thing is $12.

johnny quest
07-01-2004, 19:12
i know that when folks say its not about money...its about money. but in this case i think it more the weight. i think the giga screen by snow peak weighs like 600 pounds or something

Pencil Pusher
07-01-2004, 21:46
Okay, Campmor has it for $9 and it weighs a whopping two ounces:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=24544144

Moon Monster
07-01-2004, 22:07
Do you really even need one? The lightest option is to use yourself or some other piece of gear you're already packing to block the gusts. My gigapower does great in the wind without a screen as long as the canister is not low.

Streamweaver
07-01-2004, 23:55
Okay, Campmor has it for $9 and it weighs a whopping two ounces:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=24544144

Yes but I have a windscreen just like that one on my Gaz stove and all it really does is reflect some heat up to the pot. But for that same 2 ozs you can make a windscreen with much more coverage that actually does what its supposed to.And for less$$$. Streamweaver

Pencil Pusher
07-02-2004, 00:14
And for less$$$.Herbert Kornfeld would disagree. He'd whip out his letter opener of death and tell you, "How much is your time worth?" Taking a walk in the supergeek shoes: if you spend one hour on this project, then you're working at $9/hr (not including materials).

Kerosene
07-02-2004, 10:09
While not as fuel efficient as a custom-made windscreen, I've found that a big piece of aluminum foil (3 feet long) works quite well as a combination pot lid, pot gripper, and windscreen. Granted, this doesn't protect against a swirling wind, in which case I try to cook next to a wind break. This method should work just fine if you're out for a few weeks. If I was going out for longer than a few weeks and didn't have obvious and good resupply points I would probably look to switch to an alcohol stove to make it easier to get fuel without the hassles of disposal or trying to figure out how much fuel's left in that dang canister.

gravityman
07-02-2004, 10:40
Hi Guys,
OKay, a few answers and a little self-defense :)

As was stated, gigapower's windscreen is essentially useless as it doesn't REALLY block the wind. It's too low. It's NOT about the money :)

As for if we need one - For ME the answer is yes. I find that even in the LIGHTEST breeze, the heat is swept away from the pot. In strongish breezes I find that anything that isn't right near the pot (within a 1/2 inch to a 1/4 inch I am finding out) will not help that much. Even with a full canister, I have DOUBLED the boiling times using just gear as a wind block when the wind is going at about 10 mph (which is pretty standard out here in the Rockies). This makes a windscreen SPECIFICALLY made for the pot and stove combo necissary. Mine weighed a whopping 0.8 oz. It will save me more than that in fuel over a week (backpacking light claims a 25% improvement in boil times even without a wind. We'll see...)

As for canister vs alchohol, we are cooking for two. I have a brasslight DUO. I find that the amount of fuel that I need to carry for two people for about 2 weeks (we don't want to hassle with resupplying fuel at every town stop) is FAR more weight than even two canisters. We plan on carrying one large canister and one small one. That way we can use them until they die, and ditch them in the next trash we find. For weekends, it's not a big deal. We go out on one night trips and use it for car camping often enough that I don't seem to gather almost empty cans (so far...)

Anyway, it's all good suggestions! Just giving people the other side...

Made a new model last night closer to the pot. Taking it out for three days this weekend. We'll see if it is any better!

Gravity Man

johnny quest
07-02-2004, 10:49
i just had an idea! what if you bought one of those jiffy pop things and after you use it or throw out the popcorn or whatever, then tear off the handle and put a hole in the middle of the pie pan. you could use the attached foil to customize your windscreen as far up the pot as you wanted. would it work?
or am i an idiot. wait, dont turn that into a poll!

Pencil Pusher
07-02-2004, 16:27
Hey Gravityman, good points. That sounds right, about the windscreen not doing much. I have one, but have never used it. That Bic lighter on steroids has a hard enough time getting the water to boil on cold and windy days, having a windscreen to deflect the wind for both flame and pot would be a huge benefit, as you said. Look forward to hearing about your latest prototype;)

Ramble~On
07-05-2004, 16:26
An entire thread devoted to a windscreen for one particular stove. PRICELESS

Kerosene
07-05-2004, 16:31
Is it okay to ditch spent canisters in the regular trash? Aren't you supposed to dispose of them in a special way?

Groucho
07-05-2004, 17:31
I haven't read all the posts so I don't know if this has been mentioned; a home-made windscreen is at this site (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00041.html).

Pencil Pusher
07-06-2004, 00:36
You can ditch the cannisters, but make sure to puncture them first so the trash folks don't freak out over seeing it in the trash. Puncturing also makes sure any residual gas escapes... just make sure it's empty before you go whacking at it!