PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather gear

El Toro '94
06-13-2009, 18:01
Planning on long section hike from DWG or Bear Mtn to springer over late fall and winter. I plan on carrying a +15 bag with a liner for the first part (Pearisburg). Will I need to switch that out to my -15 bag when I hit the southern hi country in Jan & Feb, or do y'all think the +15 bag with a liner and enough clothes should be sufficient? Also, which would you carry as a liner, silk or fleece? They both advertise adding about 9 degrees warmth, but I've never used either, as all my cold weather hiking/camping was done with the -15 bag by itself. The fleece is cheaper, but the silk weighs a lot less, and winter hiking gear is heavy enough without adding unneccessary weight. Any advice would be appreciated.

Feral Bill
06-13-2009, 19:28
What is the weight difference between the -15 and +15 bags?

El Toro '94
06-13-2009, 20:29
about a pound and a half. +15 weighs 3 and a quarter lbs. -15 somewhere between 4.5 and 5. Would have gone lighter with down bags, but can't afford to shell out that much cash and still be able to complete my hike.
What I was wondering though is whether I will need the -15 at all, or whether I can get by without it without freezing my butt off. I'll carry the xtra weight if it means not being cold while I'm trying to sleep, but if I don't need it, I won't even have it shipped..

Feral Bill
06-13-2009, 21:33
The lighter bag with the liner and a warm down jacket might work. The jacket will be nice in camp regardless. I guess you could get a spell of serious sub zero in the Smokies, though.

El Toro '94
06-13-2009, 21:39
That's what I'm concerned about because my schedule has me leaving Pearisburg around New Year's, which will put me on Mt. Rogers 10 days or so later, Roan mt. about 2 weeks later and then the Smokies maybe early Feb. Never hiked in south in dead of winter, just weekenders in NH and NY. Thanx for the input.

Lyle
06-13-2009, 21:49
Is there someone at home that can quickly pack up the -15 bag and overnight it to you if it is needed? I'm sure you can make the 15* plus extra clothes and a liner work for a few nights if needed. You can then decide if you want to hold up a day or two waiting to receive the warmer bag.

As far as the liners. I've had no experience with a fleece liner, but have used a silk one. My best guess is that it adds about 3 to 4 degrees warmth, not the oft stated 9-10 degrees. The fleece may do better, but is substantially heavier and bulkier.

El Toro '94
06-14-2009, 12:32
Thanx feral and lyle for the tips-just picked up a +15 down bag on ebay relatively cheap so am going to stick with that until Hampton-take the -15 bag from Roan to Weser. Rather not take a chance up hi in the winter.

Feral Bill
06-14-2009, 12:49
Good decission.