PDA

View Full Version : Holiday plans?

2XL
07-01-2004, 12:21
Will you be out hiking over the Fourth of July weekend or stay away from the trail?

I was thinking of heading up to Riga Shelter in CT. for the night of the 3rd hoping to see some fireworks from that great view.

2XL

gravityman
07-01-2004, 12:51
We'll be doing a 40 mile section of the Colorado Trail out by leadville. We need our hiking fix! Sigh...

Gravity Man

Mags
07-01-2004, 14:19
Only moderate hiking plans: a quick jaunt to Chicago Lakes on the side of Mt. Evans Saturday and a wedding on July 4th. My two friends are having a very outdoor oriented wedding. A celebratory pre-wedding hike on Saturday, the actual outdoor wedding on Sunday (July 4th) where they are encouraging people to wear shorts and sandals! And they are even having the "Adventure Rabbi" do the ceremony. :) (She had a web site if anyone is curious, just google her).

Will probably be one of the more relaxing weddings I've attended...

TankHiker
07-01-2004, 14:47
Well, as long as all the Boulderites are answering... :)
I'll be doing some hiking down near the Sand Dunes. Wish I could be hiking farther. I'm jealous, Gravity Man.
-Tank

gravityman
07-01-2004, 15:00
Well, as long as all the Boulderites are answering... :)
I'll be doing some hiking down near the Sand Dunes. Wish I could be hiking farther. I'm jealous, Gravity Man.
-Tank

You can always come along. That way we could hike in opposite directions, exchange keys and not have to set a shuttle. :) We are leaving friday afternoon, coming back monday. Hope the weather is better than last weekend. We were in the Lost Creek Wilderness. We made it out of there just before all the flooding. PHEW! AMAZING hiking though. Definitely recommend it. 24 mile loop hike from Goose Creek Trailhead...

Never been to sand dunes...

Yeah, funny all us Boulderites are answering :)

Gravity man

MOWGLI
07-01-2004, 15:11
I'm headed to North Myrtle Beach for a little reading, fishing, relaxing, and body surfing. Woo Hoo! Where's my sunscreen...

Little Bear

Mags
07-01-2004, 15:38
Yep..all of us "People's Republic of Boulder" people taking over. :)

I mentioned to Gravity Man about an idea of a low-key ALDHA Gathering type even sometime in October.(Call it a Rockies Ruck...nameed after another set of low key hiker gatherings held every year in Pennsylvania, Georgia and Florida) Seen quite a few Colorado people on the various hiking lists. Time to get off my duff and call some place to make arrangements! :)

There is a hostel in Silverthorne that may fit the bill...

I was up in RMNP last weekend..talk about downpour!

I have a TON of Colorado (and other outdoor photos) online at:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/mags

Take a gander if anyone is interested in seeing some non-AT photos...
(Though there are New England, LT and AT photos on-line too)

TonyS
07-01-2004, 15:45
I'll be hiking Saturday with ^mtnmike^ from VFTT along the Impt trail to Carter-Moriah Trail in NH. Plan on peakbagging Middle Carter, South Carter, Carter Dome and Mt. Hight. Then stopping at Carter Notch Hut and heading out 19 Mile Brook.:clap :welcome

SGT Rock
07-01-2004, 15:51
Working. Ya'll know the Army.

food
07-01-2004, 15:56
How about the B&B in Montezuma for the Ruck?

I would need to bring my shot record up to date before going to the Peoples Republic of Boulder.

Leaving late Friday the 2nd to do segments 24 to 28 on the Colorado Trail.

I will be in the Grand Canyon mid October, but Moab would be a good location for a Rockies Ruck.

Alligator
07-01-2004, 16:25
Snowshoe Mountain for some biking, swimming, music, fireworks, and homebrew.

grizzlyadam
07-01-2004, 16:37
myself, shoeless jon, and jim triple will be doing a whirlwhind roadtrip from NC to old mexico (it's a country- to the south) and back from friday to monday. fun times. fun times.

Spirit Walker
07-01-2004, 16:57
We're headed for the Quehanna Trail in Northern PA. Four days in the woods - hurray! Of course, that depends on whether Jim's shoulder will be in shape to carry a pack that long. I hate hearing him scream.

Mags - the hostel at Grand Lakes is incredible. Try there.

jlb2012
07-02-2004, 07:27
I'm planning on doing a slow hike between Reed's Gap and Tye River - out on Mau-Har and back on AT.

The Scribe
07-02-2004, 09:23
Happy 4th everyone

Eric Clapton in Mansfield, MA is on the agenda Saturday night. We will do a "city" hike on Sunday as we will spend the day in Boston and wind up on the Charles River Esplanade Sunday night for the Boston Pops and the fireworks. There will be a few miles turned in but unfortunately not while hearing birds.

pcm

Jaybird
07-02-2004, 09:32
i plan on spending the weekend (when i'm NOT working!) with my wife &
grandbaby!...and on the 4th itself...enjoying the local fireworks display & a
Ice Cream supper/cookout @ our church in Greenbrier,TN :D

HAPPY 4th of JULY!

Lone Wolf
07-02-2004, 09:55
Gonna hike to the town park for bbq, music and fireworks then blue-blaze on the Creeper Trail to Dot's for adult beverages.

steve hiker
07-02-2004, 11:05
Hunker down in the air conditioning. I'm at least 600 miles from anywhere that drops below 70 degrees at night this time of year. And during the day ... Hibernation time.

But relief is on the way. The sun is heading south now and each day is growing shorter. In just a few short months the cool, dry, north winds will sweep down over the land and it'll be hiking season. I can almost taste it now.

Stuart
07-02-2004, 12:14
Fireworks with the family.

Jersey Bob
07-02-2004, 12:31
at least 10 characters

mmills316
07-02-2004, 14:10
Since my cousin and I went for a short trip last weekend I will be home with the wife and baby this weekend.

:)

slatchley
07-03-2004, 08:07
View of fireworks from Lions Head in Salisbury, CT was great, but weird without any sound. To top it off a HUGE orange moon came up as the fireworks were ending.

hiker5
07-03-2004, 12:27
I'm hoping to do my first overnight on the AT Sunday-Monday with a friend of mine. We are grad students at Virginia Tech, so we will be picking a section near Blacksburg, VA. Right now I'm looking at US220 (Daleville,VA) to VA311 (Catawba, VA). This route would take us past Tinker Cliffs and McAffee's Knob. We would likely camp for the night at Lambert Meadow Campsite.

lilmountaingirl
07-03-2004, 17:38
Kayaked in the Susquehanna today.
Hiking in Caledonia on Sunday.
Mountain biking Stony Creek on Monday.
Watching fireworks over the Susquehanna Monday night from my kayak.

Quite possibly the best weekend I've had this year. :clap

Brushy Sage
07-03-2004, 17:55
Going to a funeral; bummer.

attroll
07-03-2004, 17:59
Going to a funeral; bummer.
A funeral on the 4th?

Brushy Sage
07-03-2004, 20:40
A funeral on the 4th?

The family gathering, and viewing at the funeral home, is on the 4th. The actual funeral service is on the morning of the 5th. Most of the florists are closed, so the family is having to hustle to find flowers.

Mini-Mosey
07-04-2004, 08:38
Working, working, working to pay off those debts!! Haven't had a chance to backpack for several months, lots of changes in my life(mother died, I moved, new job). Did get out for a short hike at Catoctin Mountain Park once, gorgeous!! Hiking is a therapeutic lifesaver.

Hey...you from Virginia Tech: my brother and father graduated from there.

MOWGLI
07-04-2004, 08:51
I am here in North Myrtle Beach and thinking about renting sea kayaks with my daughter this week. Anyone have any experience with an outfitter or some backwater within 2 hours of Myrtle Beach (north or south)? It looks like there are some nice areas near Wrightsville Beach, NC and Georgetown, SC, but it would be nice to hear from someone local, or someone who has kayaked the area.

Thanks.

Jeffrey Hunter

hiker5
07-04-2004, 09:10
Mini-Mosey,
Its always good to here from folks with ties to Tech.

Last year I was working in Maryland and spent a beautiful day hiking at Catoctin Mountain Park. But at the end of the day I was caught off guard and hiked the last three miles back to my truck in the nasty thunderstorm.

Jack Tarlin
07-04-2004, 12:58
Having a great holiday, thanx to Ron and Laura, the owners of the Outfitter at Harper's Ferry......last night to Baltimore, a place I've never been to, which is funny when you consider my Trail name. Great tour of the harbor; watching fireworks from a boat is a blast. Then off to rather colorful neighborhood of Fell's Point, formerly a ship-building neighborhood, now nothing but pubs and cofeehouses. Went in vain search of a place called "Baltimore Jack's" of all things, but it seems to have closed. Perhaps just as well as I own enough black T-shirts with odd things printed on 'em.

Off today for a short bike ride/hike on the C&O canal, then will be helping out at a cookout at the Harper's Ferry hostel (which is actually across the river in Marland and isn't in Haprer's Ferry).

Hope everyone has (or has had) a great Fourth.....thanks again to Troll and Rock for this great site; special thanx to Rock, his colleagues, and all veterans for everything they've done and continue to do. We get to celebrate days like this only because others have given us the freedom to do so. The 4th of July is a good time to remember this.

Atwise
07-04-2004, 13:36
Hi Jeff,
There is a great outfitter on the Edisto River across from Colleton State Park in Canady's SC. The name of the outfitter is Carolina Heritage Outfitters(canoesc.com) and Scott Kennedy is the owner. I have paddled with Scott may times ans have bought all my kayaks from him. I would suggest you give him a call to see if there is a closer outfitter, possibly on the Black River near Georgrtown or the Pee Dee River.

Good Luck,
Mark Hooper
Charleston SC

MOWGLI
07-04-2004, 16:03
Hi Jeff,
There is a great outfitter on the Edisto River across from Colleton State Park in Canady's SC. The name of the outfitter is Carolina Heritage Outfitters(canoesc.com) and Scott Kennedy is the owner. I have paddled with Scott may times ans have bought all my kayaks from him. I would suggest you give him a call to see if there is a closer outfitter, possibly on the Black River near Georgrtown or the Pee Dee River.

Good Luck,
Mark Hooper
Charleston SC

Many thanks Mark! I took a look at their website. Coastal Expeditions, the "Sister Company" of Carolina Heritage Outfitters runs some trips just north of you. I might go on one of those this week. I appreciate the tip!

Jeffrey Hunter

Pencil Pusher
07-04-2004, 17:27
Hey all, enjoy the fireworks tonight.

Streamweaver
07-04-2004, 18:25
I MISSED THE FREAKIN FIREWORKS!! Stupid me thinks that they would have the parade and fireworks on the 4th but noooo they had it on the 3rd!!! I sure aint going to the harbor tonite ,to many people!! Guess Ill go fishing tommorow. Streamweaver

DeniseL
07-04-2004, 19:14
Drove up from Southern NJ to the AT intersection with route 183 in PA (between Pine Grove and Port Clinton). Committed random acts of trail magic. Great to see Caterpillar, Enigma, White Patch, Bucket, etc. Had soda, beer, fruit, and candy for all who passed.

Tonight, fireworks in South Jersey, but mostly I'll be wistfully thinking of the AT, wishing I were hiking...

Scout

The Scribe
07-05-2004, 12:12
That moon rising Saturday night was awesome!!!!!

Watched the fireworks in Boston with 500,000 of my closest friends. Based on what I saw after though, it didn't look like too many were LNT followers.

pcm

Litefoot
07-05-2004, 22:17
I went hiking on Saturday and Sunday in the White Mountains. The first hike started close to the Cog Railroad Base Station and went to the Lakes of the Clouds hut and then to the top of Mount Washington. It then looped around and finished where I started.

The second day I wanted to hike up to the Madison hut and then loop up over Mount Madison and back down to where I started. I randomly picked a trail that went up the mountain without giving it much thought. The trail I chose is called the King Ravine Trail, and it was very challenging. This morning, I found a review on the backpacker.com website for this trail. Here's an excerpt that pretty much sums it up:

"Picture a trail roughly as steep as the backside of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, line it with shifting, lichen-coated boulders, and you'll get some idea of what to expect on the King Ravine Trail. Still, nothing prepares you for the real thing. Panting like a steam engine, eyes flitting from map to slope, you'll undoubtedly wonder, 'The trail goes up there?!'

It does, climbing 1,100 vertical feet in half a mile. That's why the King Ravine Trail is considered one of the hardest-and not surprisingly, least-traveled-trails in the Presidential Range. Hike the King Ravine, and any footpath thereafter will seem tame."

It was fun!

You can read the full review at the following website if you're interested: http://www.backpacker.com/article/1,2646,477_P,00.html

FatMan
07-05-2004, 23:07
I spent the Holiday Weekend (Thurs - Sun) hiking the AT Unicoi gap south to Hightower gap. It was some of the wettest hiking I have done in years. Four straight days of rain, rain, and more rain. Only ran into a few others in the four days. Did use my Henessey Hammock for the first time and I am now confident that I will remain dry in a downpour. I had concerns and at times I pulled sides in and maintained 100% dry. Ironically, my first day off the trail was relatively dry in North Georgia. Just my luck.:datz

hiker5
07-06-2004, 14:53
What an exciting weekend!

Sunday - From: US220 (Daleville,VA)
To: Lambert Meadows Campsite

My hiking partner almost stepped on a fat rattlesnake (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4001/password/0/sort/1/cat/all/page/1) that had been laying across the trail, like so many fallen branches. Immediately following this encounter we were chased off the ridge by a lightning storm. After about half an hour the lightning had passed so we climbed back up to the trail and trucked on into the Lambert Meadows Campsite and even had a small campfire dispite the rain (with the aid of a little stove fuel alcohol to get some damp tinder started).

Monday - From: Lambert Beadows Campsite
To:VA311 (Catawba, VA)
The weather was excellent providing us with breathtaking views from Tinker Cliffs and McAffee's Knob. :sun After our weary bones made it back to our vehicle we were glad to celebrate a wonderful trip with some Domino's Pizzas once we got back to Blacksburg. :clap :clap

Kerosene
07-06-2004, 21:33
What a nice 2-day hike to walk from Daleville to Catawba, especially in nice weather. I loved this section last Fall.

Brushy Sage
07-07-2004, 10:11
[QUOTE=Jack Tarlin]Having a great holiday, thanx to Ron and Laura, the owners of the Outfitter at Harper's Ferry......last night to Baltimore, a place I've never been to, which is funny when you consider my Trail name. Great tour of the harbor; watching fireworks from a boat is a blast. Then off to rather colorful neighborhood of Fell's Point, formerly a ship-building neighborhood, now nothing but pubs and cofeehouses. Went in vain search of a place called "Baltimore Jack's" of all things, but it seems to have closed. Perhaps just as well as I own enough black T-shirts with odd things printed on 'em.

There used to be a seafood place at Fells Point called Bertha's, and there were bumperstickers all over the eastern US saying "Eat Bertha's Muscles." I'm wondering if the restaurant is still there. Did you see it? Eat any muscles? Baltimore is a great, and historic city.