PDA

View Full Version : Crocker Mtn. col

El Toro '94
06-14-2009, 21:35
Anyone know if there is level ground and/or water at the col between the peaks of Crocker? Have an old handbook (94) that said MATC was looking at making this into a tentsite, kind of like Bigelow col. Don't remember much about the Crockers, just that we were in a hurry to get to stratton to get mail. Looking at the maps, seems like it would be a cool place to tent out if there was water.

Pathfinder
06-14-2009, 21:46
I don't remember if there was a water source between the peaks, but I do remember Crocker Cirque being amazing on the south side of South Crocker. There's a great stream that flows right next to the campsite just a few feet away from the tent platforms.

I think Bigelow Col was made because of the Fire Warden's Trail leading up to it, but I'm not sure. It would be neat if they made a tentsite between the Crockers, but it seems a little unnecessary with a campsite so closeby.

El Toro '94
06-14-2009, 21:58
There used to be a shelter at Bigelow col, cuz I stayed in it during my thru, and got 3 inches of sno in early Oct. Now what I hear is the lean-to is gone, but I'm going to stay there anyway on my next thru because it's the last place you can stay up high before Big K. It's a beautiful spot, if a little cool at times.
I may stay between the peaks anyway, just hate to lug water. Done it enough hiking in Big Bend.

Rambler
06-16-2009, 22:20
The trail does level off between the Crockers, but the sides are steep and the woods thick. There is good water at the campsite to the south and again just after the logging road.
At Avery peak there is only a tent platform, you can just see the corner in the blurry photo (it was raining). http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1164170270045831896qbTCSE There is a spring ( a still puddle) a short distance down the trail in front of the platform. The building at the top is locked.
The Horns, just south has two shelters with great views, near-by spring and pond which is stocked with trout.
The platforms near the Safford Brook trail between Little and Bigelows are also nice.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1198245128045831896NeIRMF

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1198248233045831896bTdajs

Tinker
06-16-2009, 22:24
I recall looking for water between the peaks years ago and not finding it. Nobo hikers can pick it up at the Carrabasset River or Crocker Cirque campsite.
Oh, never mind. Subject's been covered.

El Toro '94
06-17-2009, 01:58
Awesome pics Rambler. I recall the section from Piazza Rock over to Little Bigelow lean-to as being my favorite place to hike in Maine or anywhere else on the trail for that matter. Should be back there in about 450 days or so. Man it sux to be livin in south Texas after seeing your pics.

WalkinHome
06-17-2009, 14:58
The only new campsite in this area is called Reddington Stream Campsite. It is a few miles south of Poplar Ridge Lean-to. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing in the works for the Crocker Col. Crocker Cirque is a nice place to spend the night.

CrumbSnatcher
12-15-2010, 15:16
The only new campsite in this area is called Reddington Stream Campsite. It is a few miles south of Poplar Ridge Lean-to. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing in the works for the Crocker Col. Crocker Cirque is a nice place to spend the night.
anyone camp at reddington stream campsite
photos

thanks

SouthMark
12-15-2010, 15:44
We camped in the col between North and South Crocker two years ago. Found only two decent tent spots and no water.