PDA

View Full Version : Is Shenandoah good for beginners?

Jbcrites
06-14-2009, 21:58
Want to make it to Harpers Ferry in about 7 days. At least one resupply would be nice. Is this possible you think?

Rain Man
06-14-2009, 22:02
I took 7 days to do the SNP. HF is another 38 miles, I believe. For me, it'd be about 10 days or more, total.

Rain:sunMan

stranger
06-14-2009, 22:22
Shenandoah is over 100 miles, that can easily be done in 7 days if you are a fit and experienced hiker, but like the above post stated, Harpers Ferry is a ways beyond Front Royal.

I sectioned this section back in 2001 and did 20's right from the start while out of shape, it wasn't all that difficult but to be honest I found it harder than most people make it out to be, I didn't find this section as easy as say southern PA for example.

garlic08
06-15-2009, 01:20
I did that in 7 1/2 days including a zero at Front Royal, but I was doing 25+ miles every day by then. Not counting logistics like a car shuttle and without a zero in there and with a really good pace, yes, it's possible. About the only way to resupply in there is to hitch to Front Royal, I think, and that takes some time. There are very limited groceries and resupply in SNP, and great blackberry shakes, if you're there during the summer season. Good luck.

Lone Wolf
06-15-2009, 06:24
Want to make it to Harpers Ferry in about 7 days. At least one resupply would be nice. Is this possible you think?

it's 160 miles. 22+ miles per day. have fun :)

Serial 07
06-15-2009, 08:59
yeah...you just won't be able to enjoy tall frothy adult beverages...

sly dog
06-15-2009, 09:36
I just did the same section, 160 miles but I used 13 days to do it and the day comming out of Front Royal was a 5 mile lazy day. I was not running and I like my morning coffee so am never in a rush to get out of camp but I do hike till like 7 or 8 PM. You can do it but wont be able to relax at overlooks and wont be able to enjoy what the park has to offer like cold beer at Big Meadows or Skyland.I did get a lotta rain so it did slow my pace too. I took 13 days because I had 13 days to enjoy a hike, I wasn't in a hurry.

fredmugs
06-15-2009, 10:14
yeah...you just won't be able to enjoy tall frothy adult beverages...

That's not true. You can get beer at every way station in the park.

This section is cake. The only part I didn't like was the rocky area before you get to the Bears Den hostel. SNP can be hiked in Crocs. The Rollercoaster, billed as something hard, is pathetic.

I don't think you can find an easier 160 mile stretch. Tear it up.